• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

One thing I didn't remember was how many trainers in the world use the starters. That doesn't happen in other games, right? A random trainer in Rock Tunnel having Charmander just threw me for a loop.
I remember trainers in Sinnoh using them (including a gym leader and an elite four) but otherwise can't think of any other games,

I'm honestly really surprised at how well it holds up. Maybe Genwunners aren't that crazy after all.

Heh I saw so many posts, here and elsewhere, ridiculing genwunners and saying 'I can't wait for these games to come out so everybody can see once and for all how poor they actually are and how they don't hold up at all.'
Now they're out it's the complete opposite ha.

cory64

Heh I saw so many posts, here and elsewhere, ridiculing genwunners and saying 'I can't wait for these games to come out so everybody can see once and for all how poor they actually are and how they don't hold up at all.'
Now they're out it's the complete opposite ha.
Other than the broken type system, message errors in combat and the boring species distribution nothing's really caught me off guard. It's probably the most accessible 8-bit RPG ever made.

Ugh, fuck the Safari Zone. All I want is a Dratini, damn it! Missing Poke Balls are the worst. I can't believe I was able to catch a Chansey but Dratini used up every Safari Ball I had. :/

Don't forget the awful movesets! And forced HM use!
I actually liked the limited movesets, I think if it was honed a bit it could be used to better differentiate Pokemon and maybe even apply some nerfs (ie. not all Water types getting Ice Beam and most Normal types not getting a literal rainbow of TMs).

HMs were pretty bad, but at the very least Cut was only required twice in an area where you probably don't have a final team yet and Flash wasn't needed at all. Strength is painful in the generation with Body Slam being like it was.

Made it to Cinnibar.

Holy crap did I about lose my shit when I strolled into the Saffron Gym, clearing out trainers with no problem. Only to start up Sabrina with a level 50 Abra? What the crap?

I was worried (nuzlocke). My highest poke was a 43 Dodrio. Everyone else was in their mid 30s, if that.

Yet somehow, this is how my battle went:

• Beakers used Drill Peck
  • Abra Fainted
  • Sabrina brought out Kadabra
  • Kadabra Fainted
  • Sabrina brought out Alakazam
  • Beakers used Drill Peck (it didn't kill it)
  • Alakazam used Psychic
  • It missed!
  • Alakazam fainted

I feel like that could have very much been the entire end of my run. I'm not going to look into it, but I swear that Dodrio of mine must have some crazy good IVs or something.

Also Seafoam islands were nowhere near as bad as I remember. Was in and out of there in about 15 minutes, including random fights. Thought I did skip Articuno. Will save it for later since I only had 5 ultra balls on me.

Kinokou

WVW69i-yPn439bZXxP

This is messed up...

Somehow I managed to get there without ever having been there before, with steps to spare. Now I'm catching things to get the exp. all.

Link_enfant

Sorry it's has already been asked multiple times, but can you trade Pokémon between two VC versions from a different region? Like a PAL version with a Japanese one, etc

Firemind

I feel like that could have very much been the entire end of my run. I'm not going to look into it, but I swear that Dodrio of mine must have some crazy good IVs or something.
You got lucky it missed. Koga's Venomoth almost oneshotted my team with Psychic and it doesn't even have STAB. Thankfully, Toxic becomes regular poison when you switch, so I was able to wear it down eventually while under max Double Teams.

Theorymon

Sorry it's has already been asked multiple times, but can you trade Pokémon between two VC versions from a different region? Like a PAL version with a Japanese one, etc

I don't think so. If I recall, different regions store data in different places, meaning trading with different regions will corrupt the game. I think this leads to different glitch Pokemon as well, but I'm not sure.

Link_enfant

Thanks for the confirmation, well it makes sense to prevent potential annoying/dangerous glitched Pokémon from corrupting the game actually!

aadiboy

Best way to grind endgame? E4 with exp. all is pretty bad...too little exp per Pokemon. Switching in the Pokemon I need to level is annoying. Is just running around Cerulean cave faster?

WPS

So, it transpires that to perform the mew glitch using wild pokémon, you still need to beat a trainer.

Perhaps I should not have gone round meticulously beating every trainer in Kanto outside of Victory Road and the one guy I use to start the glitch.

I still need to Mew Glitch Eevee, Ekans (both are in Victory Road), one more Eevee, Jynx, Raichu, Alakazam and Weedle.

Arcia

Banned
So, it transpires that to perform the mew glitch using wild pokémon, you still need to beat a trainer.

Perhaps I should not have gone round meticulously beating every trainer in Kanto outside of Victory Road and the one guy I use to start the glitch.

I still need to Mew Glitch Eevee, Ekans (both are in Victory Road), one more Eevee, Jynx, Raichu, Alakazam and Weedle.

You can still do the glitch. Pushing a boulder actually makes the game think you fought a trainer (the game is weird, don't ask). You can read about it here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch#One_long-range_Trainer_remaining

Oswen

I slowly finished Blue, it was a nice dive into the past.
Limited backpack/storage gave me nightmares, I can't remember it being so troubling back in the days, I guess I used lots of items as a kid.

My team was a recreation of my first one, same nicknames aswell:
Blastoise (MIKE)
Pidgeot (ROC)
Victreebel (NEP)
Ninetales (ROBIN)
Jolteon (FLASH)
Alakazam (SIGMUND)

with a Beedrill (ZING) and a Raichu (RAIDEN) stabled around mid journey, mirroring what happened long time ago.

Doing the Mew glitch was a circle of life experience, me and the other kids used to sit down for hours trying to find it, doing all the crazy things like the truck related stuff, all without success of course.
Wish I could go back and explain the glitch to my old self, my school would go mental.

Arcia

Banned
Oh, score! Thanks very much.

Just make sure you use the PC box to save your game and restart first. Otherwise you won't be able to open your menu to use strength! Also beware of certain side effects of the mew glitch: it can delete items you haven't picked up yet or one time pokemon encounters you haven't fought in any areas you currently have loaded into the game's memory. Definitely read up on exactly how to do this stuff safely on that page.

Kinokou

The Ditto lets you control the wild pokemon you'll encounter with the glitch, but it's not a replacement for a trainer battle. It's not even the trainer battle you need, it's having an NPC sprite move that progresses the glitch
If there's no trainers left to move, then you can move a boulder instead. But to do that you need to use a Pokemon Center's PC to save and quit, in order to restore your menu.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch#One_long-range_Trainer_remaining

You can still do the glitch. Pushing a boulder actually makes the game think you fought a trainer (the game is weird, don't ask). You can read about it here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch#One_long-range_Trainer_remaining

Just make sure you use the PC box to save your game and restart first. Otherwise you won't be able to open your menu to use strength! Also beware of certain side effects of the mew glitch: it can delete items you haven't picked up yet or one time pokemon encounters you haven't fought in any areas you currently have loaded into the game's memory. Definitely read up on exactly how to do this stuff safely on that page.

Um now I am very confused about this whole thing and I can't seem to find an simple step by step guide for using dittos in yellow :S

Do any of you have one or can you outline the procedure? It is especially the fighting/walking trainer that I do not understand in all of the above.

WPS

Otherwise you won't be able to open your menu to use strength! Also beware of certain side effects of the mew glitch: it can delete items you haven't picked up yet or one time pokemon encounters you haven't fought in any areas you currently have loaded into the game's memory. .

wait what

I've been doing this glitch with reckless abandon the whole time.

Um now I am very confused about this whole thing and I can't seem to find an simple step by step guide for using dittos in yellow :S

Do any of you have one or can you outline the procedure? It is especially the fighting/walking trainer that I do not understand in all of the above.

Step 1: Find a trainer with a line of sight the length of the screen that you have not battled, such that if they are on screen and looking in your direction, they can always spot you. Any shorter won't work. I use the guy to the left of nugget bridge.

Step 2: (It's best to save first, this can be tricky) From off-screen, walk into the very edge of their view range and pause immediately before he can challenge you.

Step 3a: Fly to Fuchsia. You now can't pause, so save your game by changing box on the PC, then turn it off and on again. Once you can pause again, use strength on the boulder in the Warden's house.

Step 3b: Fight any trainer. Make sure they have to walk at least one step before battling you, or the game will freeze.

Step 4: Go to the basement of the pokémon mansion and find a ditto. Send out a pokémon with a special stat of exactly 21 and have ditto transform into it.

Step 5: Kill ditto or whatever, and escape without battling any more pokémon.

Optional: Use growl on ditto 6 times after it transforms.

Step 6: Return to where you performed step 1 and 2. Your start menu will open itself, so close it...

Step 7: Profit.

Optional: If you growled 6 times at Ditto, Mew will be level 1. Put it in a battle against a pokémon so low, it won't gain enough experience to grow to level 2 and...

Step 8: Much profit.

Kinokou

wait what

Step 1: Find a trainer with a line of sight the length of the screen that you have not battled, such that if they are on screen and looking in your direction, they can always spot you. Any shorter won't work. I use the guy to the left of nugget bridge.

Step 2: (It's best to save first, this can be tricky) From off-screen, walk into the very edge of their view range and pause immediately before he can challenge you.

Step 3a: Fly to Fuchsia. You now can't pause, so save your game by changing box on the PC, then turn it off and on again. Once you can pause again, use strength on the boulder in the Warden's house.

Step 3b: Fight any trainer. Make sure they have to walk at least one step before battling you, or the game will freeze.

Step 4: Go to the basement of the pokémon mansion and find a ditto. Send out a pokémon with a special stat of exactly 21 and have ditto transform into it.

Step 5: Kill ditto or whatever, and escape without battling any more pokémon.

Optional: Use growl on ditto 6 times after it transforms.

Step 6: Return to where you performed step 1 and 2. Your start menu will open itself, so close it...

Step 7: Profit.

Optional: If you growled 6 times at Ditto, Mew will be level 1. Put it in a battle against a pokémon so low, it won't gain enough experience to grow to level 2 and...

Step 8: Much profit.

Ok! Then on step 3 you do either a or b, or both?

WPS

Ok! Then on step 3 you do either a or b, or both?

Either.

Was always curious how the rival knew to find Giovanni in the Viridian gym, since you know he doesn't go back to the gym until after you confront him in Silph Co., after you beat your rival. Must have contacts in Viridian or something.

Implying Giovanni didn't close the gym in the first place and turn to life of crime after your Rival beat him on the way to Pewter.

Dishwalla

Banned
Was always curious how the rival knew to find Giovanni in the Viridian gym, since you know he doesn't go back to the gym until after you confront him in Silph Co., after you beat your rival. Must have contacts in Viridian or something.

Firemind

Obviously Giovanni got beaten by him first and announced his retirement because he couldn't live with the shame of getting his ass handed to him by two snotty brats.

Also, Pidgeot is terrible in gen one my god. Its best attack is Quick Attack. QUICK ATTACK.

Arcia

Banned
wait what

Yeah, it is a side effect of encountering a pokemon that is not supposed to come from a routes random encounter list. People actually use this to beat the game faster by deleting the snorlaxes before getting the pokeflute or team rocket grunts from blocking buildings.

From Bulbapedia's Mew glitch page:

Several areas in the game contain 'removable objects', or a list of sprites that can be permanently deleted from the area. This list includes all item balls, various NPCs such as the Team Rocket Grunts that block buildings in Saffron City, and, importantly, any one-time stationary wild Pokémon, such as the legendary birds. Whenever a player enters an area, if the area contains any removable objects, then the game will load the list from that area into memory.
Whenever the player encounters a wild Pokémon, the game checks to see if it was generated from a random encounter table. If it was not, then the game assumes that the player must be battling a one-time stationary encounter. When making this assumption, the game will automatically delete that stationary sprite from the list of removable objects for the area, to prevent the player from encountering the one-time Pokémon again.
The key is that a wild Pokémon encountered through the Mew glitch has not been generated from a random encounter table, and thus the game will assume that the player is battling a stationary encounter and attempt to delete a sprite. However, if the player is currently not in an area that contains any removable objects, the game will simply use whatever list is currently in memory - namely, the list from the most recent area the player was in that contained removable objects. This behavior can be used to bypass various obstacles in the game, most notably allowing the player to remove the Snorlax on Route 12 and thus skipping not only the Pokémon Tower in Lavender Town (as the player no longer has to pick up the Poké Flute), but also the entirety of Route 9, Route 10, and Rock Tunnel, as well as postponing the Cerulean Gym and the S.S. Anne until the end of the game (as the player no longer needs HM01 (Cut) to get access to Route 9).

WPS

Well, better clear out Victory Road before going for Eevee and Ekans then.

One thing that's surprised me is how exponentially easier the three birds are to catch when my team have moves that inflict status and not all four fire moves instead. None of the birds took more than 5 balls when they used to take over 50, and my only difference in strategy since I was 6 is this time I paralysed them.

On a different note, has anyone managed to use their PC to store items even once without immediately depositing the bike by accident?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Finally caved in and bought this even though I usually have trouble going further back than one Generation with Pokemon---surprisingly I really don't find it all that clunky, also I was worried it'd be rather difficult compared to how pampered I've become but things are pretty easy in all honesty.

One thing I do like is the Trainer variety---in the newer games it seems like the Trainers basically use the same Pokemon in an area, often ones you can find around that location---but in Generation I the Trainers use Pokemon you won't find for quite awhile such as dudes in Mt. Moon using Magnemite, Grimer, and Voltorb. Totally took me by surprise when the Trainer in Brock's Gym used Sandshrew and Diglett, I swear I recall him just using Geodude like the minor Trainers in Roxanne and Roark's Gym did.

Planning three play-throughs with different teams...right now in Blue and just beat Misty.

I've got Wartortle, Nidorina, and Bellsprout and planning to pick up Meowth, Doduo, and Drowzee. I had an urge to nickname Squirtle "Suds" and now I realize that's totally my nickname for it as a kid, wow how that came back to me.

Next I'll do Red, I'll probably go with Bulbasaur as Charmander might have it rough---plan on using Ekans as one of my Pokemon but haven't figured who else I'll pick up.

Finally I'll do Yellow, keeping Pikachu and grabbing Chamander but dropping Squirtle and Bulbasaur since I would've already used them. I wanna take advantage of the early Mankey here and use it too.

It really is nice to see that people are realizing that the Gen 1 games aren't nearly as busted and unplayable as some people like to make them out to be. And as noted multiple times already, some of the game design (particularly Kanto's map layout) still stands pretty well today.

After beating Blue a few days ago, I started a Red playthrough today, mainly for the purposes of getting the version exclusives there. Went with Bulbasaur instead of Charmander in Blue this time, so grinding a backup Pokemon for Brock won't be necessary.

Still caught a Rattata, though. It learns Quick Attack fairly early, and Hyper Fang does consistently great damage for an attack learned so early on.

Camjo-Z

Also, Pidgeot is terrible in gen one my god. Its best attack is Quick Attack. QUICK ATTACK.

I always think "should I switch out??" when Pidgey or one of its evolutions comes up against my Parasect. Then I just laugh as I remember that they don't get a flying-type move until level ~30.

I always think "should I switch out??" when Pidgey or one of its evolutions comes up against my Parasect. Then I just laugh as I remember that they don't get a flying-type move until level ~30.

jokes on you though, parasect is the worst. and they still have gust

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I recently used Pidgeot in Gen VI and it's just as bad...

Seriously doesn't get Wing Attack till like 30-some.

I may have glitched myself into an untenable position - I've been messing around with the Mew Glitch inside the Silph Co building and I think the Card Key was deleted from the 5th Floor before I could get it. It means I cannot complete the dungeon or ever challenge Sabrina and thus can never beat the game.

Does anyone know a way around this? Is there a challengeable trainer in Saffron I can use to get rid of the Rocket in front of the Gym? Can I skip the Marsh Badge gate on Victory Road?

Wurliwurm

Made it to Cinnibar.

Holy crap did I about lose my shit when I strolled into the Saffron Gym, clearing out trainers with no problem. Only to start up Sabrina with a level 50 Abra? What the crap?

I was worried (nuzlocke). My highest poke was a 43 Dodrio. Everyone else was in their mid 30s, if that.

Yet somehow, this is how my battle went:

• Abra Fainted
  • Sabrina brought out Kadabra
  • Kadabra Fainted
  • Sabrina brought out Alakazam
  • Beakers used Drill Peck (it didn't kill it)
  • Alakazam used Psychic
  • It missed!
  • Alakazam fainted

Also Seafoam islands were nowhere near as bad as I remember. Was in and out of there in about 15 minutes, including random fights. Thought I did skip Articuno. Will save it for later since I only had 5 ultra balls on me.

My next gym will be the psychic gym. i play a nuzlocke challange too and i am really afraid of her. i hope i am able to get her, so far none of my pokemon fainted...
if you want you can look it up on my miiverse.

Top Bottom