• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Scher

I had gone ahead and bought Pokemon Red because I remember enjoying this game a lot when I was a kid. Playing it now, though, certainly was an experience. I took a bit to drag myself through the beginning part of the game because this game just has such a slow start. Barely any options in terms of pokemon. I'm glad I went ahead and stuck it out, though, because it was fun to get to play around with this game again! Especially playing around with glitches and stuff.

I finished the Elite Four not too long ago, so now it's just time to actually catch them all for once!

6ofOX8x.jpg

GZWUvBA.jpg

dHFYnpx.jpg

MST3kag.jpg

G5e6fdz.jpg

YT6SfKV.jpg

I'm not really sure why I took BruceWayne with me, though, because he didn't even do anything!

Firemind

Why are there so many goddamn Rattatas in Yellow? Even in Cinnabar Mansion I get these fuckers to appear constantly. They are killing my Nuzlocke run! Should have had the no duplicate rule I suppose.

Why are there so many goddamn Rattatas in Yellow? Even in Cinnabar Mansion I get these fuckers to appear constantly. They are killing my Nuzlocke run! Should have had the no duplicate rule I suppose.

Yeah. Gen I nuzlockes are pretty bland without the no duplicates exception.

Chances are you're going to have a team of

Starter
Pidgey
Caterpie/Weedle(Red)
Ratata
Zubat
Magikarp

to start with.

Though, there are a lot of guaranteed pokes.

Diglet is pretty near impossible to miss.
Ghastly is pretty near impossible to miss.
Eevee is a freebie
Hitmonchan/Hitmonlee is a freebie
Lapras is a freebie
Snorlax is a freebie
Tentacool is near impossible to miss
Kabuto/Omanyte is a freebie
Aerodactyl is a freebie
3 starters if you're playing on Yellow.

I'm sure there are others that I'm missing, but Gen I is pretty generous when it comes to free pokes.

Cranzor

Is anyone else wondering what to do once you finish these games?

I played Black a few years back and really liked it. I put in about 30 hours but didn't finish it. I also played about 15 hours of Y when it came out but didn't like it much. But now that I'm having a really good time with Yellow, I'm starting to feel like I would appreciate Y a lot more if I tried again. I would likely just restart at this point since it's been so long.

But I'm also curious about the older games. Should I try to play these in some sort of order? Or should I start Y right after Yellow? I want to play ORAS after Y too, and maybe I could play the old ones after that.

I'm curious about what others are doing!

I'm still slowly working my way through Blue. I'm up to Sylph at the moment and finally let my Bulbasaur evolve the second it learned Growth.

He's been my MVP against bulky opponents and deep benches once I found out about the Toxic / Leech Seed glitch. The pattern has become to open with Leech Seed, follow up with Toxic, spam Growth until the first opponent faints, then just sweep the rest of the team with Razor Leaf. Venusaur is bulky enough to take the first few hits and by the time the first opponent is down, he's back up to full health.

I played Black a few years back and really liked it. I put in about 30 hours but didn't finish it. I also played about 15 hours of Y when it came out but didn't like it much. But now that I'm having a really good time with Yellow, I'm starting to feel like I would appreciate Y a lot more if I tried again. I would likely just restart at this point since it's been so long.

But I'm also curious about the older games. Should I try to play these in some sort of order? Or should I start Y right after Yellow? I want to play ORAS after Y too, and maybe I could play the old ones after that.

After I beat the E4 and get Mewtwo (thus completing my dex), I'm going to most likely play through X and then OR since my co-worker gave them to me. Hopefully I can complete the dex in my AS version by year end (once all of the monthly legendaries come out).

I think that Leaf Green/Fire Red are worth playing, especially to see the enhancements Gen 3 brought. I'd also do Emerald, Platinum and Heart Gold/Soul Silver (HG/SS is really good).

StayDead

Finally got hold of the Mr Mime in Yellow the other day after wasting time going there to trade with an Abra first time.

Finally reunited with my favorite Pokemon! Even if he does have a nickname. In Japanese it's Maimu (Mime) which isn't as bad as the English one haha.

Just do HG/SS and try to 251 pokés on that, should be good enough (full dex would be 493 and a lot of annoying ones to get, fuck that)

hidys

I'm playing through Yellow and I'm having a blast. There are a great deal many things that the new ones do better (fuck HMs), but Gen I is still cool to go back to.

I don't know how many of you have done the Mew glitch but that Pokemon really is OP as fuck.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm playing through Yellow and I'm having a blast. There are a great deal many things that the new ones do better (fuck HMs), but Gen I is still cool to go back to.

I don't know how many of you have done the Mew glitch but that Pokemon really is OP as fuck.

Since they're allowing people to transfer Pokemon from this to Sun/Moon, a lot of people are taking advantage of it.

And don't forget to name your trainer accordingly in order to get the pokémons you want with the cinnabar island glitch (you can get three)

Since they're allowing people to transfer Pokemon from this to Sun/Moon, a lot of people are taking advantage of it.
It is going to be really salty if legitimacy checks decide to exclude Mew. They used to exclude shiny Jirachi (which the gamecube discs could rarely make) until Shiny Jirachi was released in Gen VI.

And don't forget to name your trainer accordingly in order to get the pokémons you want with the cinnabar island glitch (you can get three)
There is no old man glitch in Yellow though plus you don't want to encounter most missingno in yellow as they usually crash the game (ones that existing graphics like the Kabutops Fossil are safe though).

Makonero

Finally got hold of the Mr Mime in Yellow the other day after wasting time going there to trade with an Abra first time.

Finally reunited with my favorite Pokemon! Even if he does have a nickname. In Japanese it's Maimu (Mime) which isn't as bad as the English one haha.

MARCEL is a great reference, I thought.

I'm wondering if these would be a good introduction to introduce my girlfriend to Pokemon or if I should get her one of the newer games?

I loved Pokemon yellow as a kid but I do wonder if it's now more difficult to get into due to maybe simply looking a bit dated compared to the newer games?

Any advice would he appreciated!

Anilusion

I'm wondering if these would be a good introduction to introduce my girlfriend to Pokemon or if I should get her one of the newer games?

I loved Pokemon yellow as a kid but I do wonder if it's now more difficult to get into due to maybe simply looking a bit dated compared to the newer games?

Gen 1 is not the easiest generation, but as long as she's willing to explore a bit and not give up as soon as something becomes hard it should be doable. Gen 5 and Gen 6 are easy mode games, if she's into that.

My wife loved X/Y but she is hesitant about playing Blue but I think its because she can't be a girl or customize avatars more than anything. It really depends on how much she is into games.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Get her the newer one, gen 1 is not newcomer friendly at all and the only reason to play them is purely because of nostalgia.

Plus with the newer one your Girlfriend has 721 Pokémon to play around with compare to a pitiful 151.

When you do the Missingno. glitch there's a set of Pokemon or Trainers that appear other than Missingno, and which ones appear vary depending on the characters that are in your name.

There's tables here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Old_man_glitch
The main issue I always had with this glitch is having to put up with a nonsense name for 40 hours in order to get one or two specific 'mons. I don't know about anyone else, but that's a pretty steep cost in my eyes.

Finally bought enough to get Syther from the game corner. Levelling him up to the rest of the team is going to be a bitch.

I figure I'm at least responsible for 20% of the traffic going to Serebii's RBY Pokedex lately. The movesets in red are so barebones.

WVW69i-vXaU5Dm0Umm

Or is there?

Got Pokemon Yellow Version: Special Pikachu Edition (yeah I forgot that was the whole title, too) yesterday even with Fire Emblem and Stardew Valley in the mix. I'm honestly really surprised at how well it holds up. Maybe Genwunners aren't that crazy after all. Kanto, even to this day, is incredibly well designed with how it gates it's content.

No, you get it in the Game Corner basement. You can't even get to the top of the Tower without a Silph Scope or an exploit.

Oh. Do you have to backtrack to the Tower then?

Game Corner is in...Saffron?

Sorry, been 20 years since...I should probably just look at a FAQ.

Andrefpvs

lol, I did the Pikachu off-screen glitch and my Yellow save deleted itself.

I'll start this again after Sun and Moon are out to get some Pokémon to transfer over. Really not in the mood to go through Mt. Moon again.

So I'm having an issue...I bought a Pokémon new 3DS from someone, but they had already set it up to confirm it had IPS screens and then reformatted. And now Red/Blue are gone. Is there any way to get them back?

EDIT: Never mind, just realized they are available under "Redownloadable Software" in the eShop. Phew.

Makonero

One thing I didn't remember was how many trainers in the world use the starters. That doesn't happen in other games, right? A random trainer in Rock Tunnel having Charmander just threw me for a loop.

One thing I didn't remember was how many trainers in the world use the starters. That doesn't happen in other games, right? A random trainer in Rock Tunnel having Charmander just threw me for a loop.

G/S had a bunch of Kanto starters on NPC teams, but none of the Johto ones. D/P/Pt had trainers using Sinnoh starters, because you had to see every Pokemon in the Sinnoh Dex to unlock national mode. R/S/E, B/W/B2/W2, and X/Y all exclude starters from trainer rosters, outside of battle facilities.

I wish they'd let NPCs use them more often; it's free variety!

StayDead

G/S had a bunch of Kanto starters on NPC teams, but none of the Johto ones. D/P/Pt had trainers using Sinnoh starters, because you had to see every Pokemon in the Sinnoh Dex to unlock national mode. R/S/E, B/W/B2/W2, and X/Y all exclude starters from trainer rosters, outside of battle facilities.

I wish they'd let NPCs use them more often; it's free variety!

It also makes more sense than the "world" only having one of each starter in existence. If anything I wish they'd add more chances to find starters in the wild.

Makonero

It also makes more sense than the "world" only having one of each starter in existence. If anything I wish they'd add more chances to find starters in the wild.

It'd be fun to have a region where there are literally homes for all of the starters thus far.

Top Bottom