• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

People talking about IVs and EVs as a Trump Wall-sized barrier like it's 2010 or something. It's incredibly easy now compared to what it used to be. There's not terribly much of an upfront investment. Breeding for nature and IVs, as well as EV training are both trivial once you get a few items. Really the only thing that could be a bit more forgiving is being able to get some breeding material with stellar IVs without having to resort to the 'ol hacked perfect IV Ditto.

I don't know what it is, but something about the older gens make the game so much more fun.

I find myself having a much better time playing Yellow than I was previously having while playing OR.

I couldn't really tell you why, though. Other than maybe the story doesn't suck ass because it's so minimal.

It is nice having a real rival again, though. Someone you can despise, and really just want to destroy. Non of that besties with testies crap (by testies I mean they test your ability once in a while because whatever...).

That, and as dumb as it is, I like that pokemon have rougher movesets. It makes finding a pokemon with a good move feel that much more powerful instead of just waiting for whatever TMs you need to be made available in the game.

People talking about IVs and EVs as a Trump Wall-sized barrier like it's 2010 or something. It's incredibly easy now compared to what it used to be. There's not terribly much of an upfront investment. Breeding for nature and IVs, as well as EV training are both trivial once you get a few items. Really the only thing that could be a bit more forgiving is being able to get some breeding material with stellar IVs without having to resort to the 'ol hacked perfect IV Ditto.

Easy it may be, but it also requires an annoying large amount of time investment, some of which is randomized and requires you simply waste your time until you hit all 7s on the breeding slot machine.

Darryl

Banned
Their needs to be something separating wild Pokemon apart. Personally I think it should be things like color spectrum adjustments. All wild Pokemon look just a little bit different. Darker, lighter, bigger, smaller. Similar to shiny pokemon.

Biggest drawback is that it doesn't fit the huge amount of existing media, where everything looks the same. Only reason I can imagine they haven't done it already. That and their being like 750 of these monsters.

backlot

They have an effect though, do they not? It might certainly be a scapegoat for someone out there who can't win and thinks it's the IV points (probably not though) but to me it's as simple as stats in an RPG game that are arbitrarily locked behind hours of eggs in order to be on the same level as people who hack.

I agree with wiseblade though if there were no hacking or cheating and they somehow patched pokebank to no longer support hacked mons even with xyoras then there wouldn't be any problems because everyone has the same work to do. Also it would be nice to just take any Pokemon (EV trained to taste of course) and battle without worrying about these stats

It's also just exacerbated by the sheer popularity of the franchise. Even if there's no hacking on a platform, once Pokemon releases on it, there will be soon.

IVs can make a difference but very rarely will they decide matches. It's true that people use max IVs to prepare for these edge cases. These are usually the people who hand tailor EV spreads to make sure they can survive hits from max attack Kangaskhan or Choice Specs Sylveon. If you find that you're losing most of your matches online, it's probably because your opponents put more thought into their team building and not because your Pokemon is five stat points below max.

Easy it may be, but it also requires an annoying large amount of time investment, some of which is randomized and requires you simply waste your time until you hit all 7s on the breeding slot machine.

As mentioned, getting something with perfect or near-perfect IVs without a hacked Ditto is the one remaining issue. The majority of the current investment is what it is. Some of it can still be trimmed, but there should be some degree of investment required and some RNG to deal with. If you could just breed something perfect 5 minutes after beating the Elite Four, it would be just as depressingly easy and straightforward as the main content of the games have become nowadays.

Honestly I don't get why people get hung up on that sixth IV. Oftentimes, you're not building a mixed sweeper or neutral nature 'mon at all, so why bother with getting perfect IVs in the stat you're never going to use?

What use does a special attacking Modest Venusaur have for a 31 IV in attack? With the right parents (which is the hardest part, admittedly) and Everstone / Destiny Knot, you have about a 16 chance of hatching a Bulbasaur with 31 IVs in all the right places.

Sun / Moon should just give you a perfect IV breeding Ditto (with Splash instead of Transform) that's holding a Destiny Knot. Players who don't care about breeding won't know what they're being handed and just leave it in a box to rot, but hardcore players will benefit immensely and have a lower incentive to hack perfect Pokémon.

So if I'm trying to catch all Pokémon through "legitimate" means (aka no Cinnabar Island trick), am I pretty much fucked for Scyther and Tauros? Scyther seems more realistic since it appears in the entrance zone, but it takes 150 steps out of 500 just to get to where Tauros is, and he only shows up 4% of the time, and he runs after the first attempt at catching him pretty much every time.

I forgot how much I HATE the Gen 1 Safari Zone. It's awful, just truly awful. Even somehow lucking out and catching a Chansey (how the fuck do i MISS a Pokémon?) hasn't made it tolerable.

backlot

So if I'm trying to catch all Pokémon through "legitimate" means (aka no Cinnabar Island trick), am I pretty much fucked for Scyther and Tauros? Scyther seems more realistic since it appears in the entrance zone, but it takes 150 steps out of 500 just to get to where Tauros is, and he only shows up 4% of the time, and he runs after the first attempt at catching him pretty much every time.

I forgot how much I HATE the Gen 1 Safari Zone. It's awful, just truly awful. Even somehow lucking out and catching a Chansey (how the fuck do i MISS a Pokémon?) hasn't made it tolerable.

If you tap the direction to turn your character without taking steps you can encounter wild Pokemon without decreasing your step counter in the Safari Zone.

Macka

Just bring back the Friend Safari and DexNav. Those made it ridiculously easy to get good breeding parents.

Sun / Moon should just give you a perfect IV breeding Ditto (with Splash instead of Transform) that's holding a Destiny Knot. Players who don't care about breeding won't know what they're being handed and just leave it in a box to rot, but hardcore players will benefit immensely and have a lower incentive to hack perfect Pokémon.
This is also a good idea. It's gotta be shiny too, though.

If you're going to have a friend and both start Red and Blue at the same time, you can just have one person start a game, pick a starter, trade it to the other player once you're able to trade, start a new game, pick a different starter, trade, and repeat that cycle until both of you have 3 of each. You just have to designate one person as the "reseter" and have the other person catch a bunch of Pidgey and Rattata to trade.

Then you can use yellow Charmander however you want.
Oh, should have worded this better. I don't want to save the actual Yellow-Charmander for the Red playthrough - I just don't want to use Charmander in my team now and then again in a few months time.

Their needs to be something separating wild Pokemon apart. Personally I think it should be things like color spectrum adjustments. All wild Pokemon look just a little bit different. Darker, lighter, bigger, smaller. Similar to shiny pokemon.

Biggest drawback is that it doesn't fit the huge amount of existing media, where everything looks the same. Only reason I can imagine they haven't done it already. That and their being like 750 of these monsters.

Like I said on the last page, if you make it so movesets have few RNG components to it, then you might find yourself trying to catch a Pideotto with specific moves on it. Or you'll just roll with the first one you get and try to work with it (ala Nuzlocke).

Macka

I've always thought it would be super cool if Pokemon had variable sizes in the games. Lower-leveled Pokemon would be generally smaller than normal to show their age, and as they level up they'd 'grow' until they reached their 'normal' size range. Then you can have the odd super rare colossal versions of Pokemon showing up in the wild, or tiny versions too. Imagine how cool that would be, encountering a massive Arbok or a tiny Onix.

With models I'd imagine this is actually feasible now (and it's even Gourgeist's gimmick), but I doubt they'd ever do it.

Boney

Banned
I'm having a blast with Red, and I remembered and knew the overall learnable move set was gonna be rough but I wasn't expecting it to be this appalling. Like having your Pokemon learn one move every 10 levels and at 40 you learn leer is a slap in the face.

I'm having a blast with Red, and I remembered and knew the overall learnable move set was gonna be rough but I wasn't expecting it to be this appalling. Like having your Pokemon learn one move every 10 levels and at 40 you learn leer is a slap in the face.

The worst part is STAB moves.

STAB moves for pokemon that aren't Normal, Grass, Fire, Water or Electric are very hard to come by.

Poison, Dragon, Bug, Ghost, and Rock are all near impossible to really get attacks for.

Hell, even the Rock Gym Leader doesn't give a Rock based TM.

Boney

Banned
I...I think I prefer Red/Blue over Yellow. What madness is this?
I like The black and white and the originals sprites a lot more than yellow's. Plus I don't have to deal with the annoying intro song from yellow.
It's partly why I can't really say FRLG make the originals irrelevant because the aesthetics, graphics and audio really make a lot of the experience for me. It feels more ground breaking and boundary pushing.

The worst part is STAB moves.

STAB moves for pokemon that aren't Normal, Grass, Fire, Water or Electric are very hard to come by.

Poison, Dragon, Bug, Ghost, and Rock are all near impossible to really get attacks for.

Hell, even the Rock Gym Leader doesn't give a Rock based TM.
If it wasn't for missigno and tm multiplication I would've probably gone nuts as a kid. Discovering electrode line doesn't learn any electric moves by itself was mind boggling. Golem has what, rock throw?

At the very least there's the tm for rock slide. There's no good equivalent for lots of types which made psychics run so rampant.

Level 41 Harden Snorlax was probably the funniest thing when I was rebuilding my Gen 1 teams, especially when it starts with Amnesia.

As for IVs, I was staunchly against them last year. I still am to a degree (for example, causing HP Ice Zapdos/Thundurus to become a thing and also be a mind-numbingly boring thing to reset for), but I have started to realize they're not as important as I once thought, especially at my preferred meta of Level 50 singles/doubles. As I said in that other thread, I would like to see the return of open EVs (max in every stat) and maybe a way to remove the downside of your nature in exchange for making the raised stat have less of a buff through some sort of training. This is mostly so you can still use your ingame team competitively (probably not well, but actually have a chance at winning) and also so some Pokemon with questionable base stat spreads (Seviper, Victreebel) finally get a better chance to show off.

I like The black and white and the originals sprites a lot more than yellow's. Plus I don't have to deal with the annoying intro song from yellow.
It's partly why I can't really say FRLG make the originals irrelevant because the aesthetics, graphics and audio really make a lot of the experience for me. It feels more ground breaking and boundary pushing.

If it wasn't for missigno and tm multiplication I would've probably gone nuts as a kid. Discovering electrode line doesn't learn any electric moves by itself was mind boggling. Golem has what, rock throw?

At the very least there's the tm for rock slide. There's no good equivalent for lots of types which made psychics run so rampant.

It was like this awkward lesson in learning that the exciting and the exotic aren't really the right answers.

You find these amazing looking pokemon, level them up, only to find out they don't really know anything cool.

Turns out the best pokemon are all "Normal" types. So go get your generic bird, or your cow with 3 tails...

I...I think I prefer Red/Blue over Yellow. What madness is this?

Yellow was the first game I got with my Gameboy Color and I remember being pretty disappointed because I couldn't do the missingno glitch in it (i think they fixed it). And I don't think I ever got Mew either. Apparently it's possible, but at the time (before I used the internet for game guides) I didn't know how to do it and thought it wasn't possible (or I had done something already that made it impossible without restarting).

Blue was my first, and I never had the chance to touch yellow until just now with this rerelease.

Which seems perfectly fine with me as the unavailable pokemon all seem to be pretty much worthless.

Off the top of my head I'm missing out on Koffing, Ekans, Meowth, and Raichu.

Not that big of a deal.

I always hated having to chose between Vulpix and Growlithe.

That is only for traded Pokemon. The game is gated by gyms in that you can't use HMs outside of battle without some of them and you need all the badges to reach Victory Road.

I was like Level 33-34 with most of my Pokemon before I fought Koga and I skipped Erika (fighting her after him) and all of my Pokemon obeyed me still except for the one I in-game traded for (Machamp). The level cap restrictions I believe are only for traded Pokemon.

Hmm. Turns out I was wrong for 20 years.

/seppuku

Blue was my first, and I never had the chance to touch yellow until just now with this rerelease.

Which seems perfectly fine with me as the unavailable pokemon all seem to be pretty much worthless.

Not that big of a deal.

Also the Weedle family, but the real bummer is no Magmar, Electabuzz or Jynx.

Verelios

Not that big of a deal.

I've never managed to catch a Growlithe because of version differences. I disliked red and Gold so yeah...Ninetales actually fought out a spot for my SoulS team.

Loving Blue right now. Especially having an irritating douche for a rival.

I've never managed to catch a Growlithe because of version differences. I disliked red and Gold so yeah...Ninetales actually fought out a spot for my SoulS team.

I think what really helps Blue/Gary is the fact that he parallels you with pokemon variety.

Every other NPC in the game focuses on a specific type. From Bugcatchers, to Bird Keepers, to Bikers, to the entire Elite 4. They all focus on 1 primary type.

Blue/Gary was the only other person (for a very long time), in the entire pokemon universe that actually seems to realize that variety is the key.

Only Cynthia and Diantha seem to have caught on, but you don't fight them throughout the game, so you don't see their teams evolve as you do Blue/Gary.

Pineapple

I don't know what it is, but something about the older gens make the game so much more fun.

I find myself having a much better time playing Yellow than I was previously having while playing OR.

I agree. The world feels bigger. My rival is someone I actually want to defeat, instead of being an afterthought that praises me every time we meet and proceeds to heal all of my Pokemon. No one is constantly reminding me where to go or what to do.

Boney

Banned
I think what really helps Blue/Gary is the fact that he parallels you with pokemon variety.

Every other NPC in the game focuses on a specific type. From Bugcatchers, to Bird Keepers, to Bikers, to the entire Elite 4. They all focus on 1 primary type.

Blue/Gary was the only other person (for a very long time), in the entire pokemon universe that actually seems to realize that variety is the key.

Only Cynthia and Diantha seem to have caught on, but you don't fight them throughout the game, so you don't see their teams evolve as you do Blue/Gary.
Plus Blue with the exception of Pidgeott has some of the best mons out there so it's pretty cool to see that.

squadr0n

So I havent really been paying too much attention to this thread lately but I have a few questions before I hop in.

Does the Mew glitch work in Yellow and does it screw up the game in any way like the missingo glitch used to?

How do I transfer pokemon to Alpha Saphire with only one 3DS and can you trasfer Mew? Do I just use Pokemon Bank or is there another way and do I have to pay the monthly fee for pokemon bank?

Shizuka

So I havent really been paying too much attention to this thread lately but I have a few questions before I hop in.

Does the Mew glitch work in Yellow and does it screw up the game in any way like the missingo glitch used to?

How do I transfer pokemon to Alpha Saphire with only one 3DS and can you trasfer Mew? Do I just use Pokemon Bank or is there another way and do I have to pay the monthly fee for pokemon bank?

Yes, no, get a friend to help or use Bank.

andshrew

You don't transfer them anywhere yet (other than between VC versions with another 3DS) but when you can it'll be via Pokemon bank to Sun and Moon only.

Oh man :(
I've loved Arcanine since seeing the anime opening for the very first time.
It took a while to even find out what it was called. I don't think I did until I got it's trading card actually...
So anyway my Poke games have been Blue, Silver, Ruby, Pearl, Black.
I didn't get to catch a Growlithe and finally get an Arcanine until recently in X!

Oh man :(
I've loved Arcanine since seeing the anime opening for the very first time.
It took a while to even find out what it was called. I don't think I did until I got it's trading card actually...
So anyway my Poke games have been Blue, Silver, Ruby, Pearl, Black.
I didn't get to catch a Growlithe and finally get an Arcanine until recently in X!

I hated that in the cartoon they showed this ancient hieroglyph of ancient amazing pokemon or whatever.

Except it was a square divided into four sections.

One corner for Articuno. Ok this makes sense
One corner for Zapdos. Right, this must just be the 4 legendaries of Gen 1.
One corner for Moltres. Yep, theme is clear here.
One corner for... Arcanine!? What the crap is this? Is this thing some sort of ungodly beast? I must have one, now! Wait!? I can't get one? But fucking Blue/Gary has one on his team. That fucker! He knows!

Why is so many people talking about IVs, EVs and all that competitive stuff? Remember that Pokemon are our friends, and not just tools for our battling spirit :)

Why is so many people talking about IVs, EVs and all that competitive stuff? Remember that Pokemon are our friends, and not just tools for our battling spirit :)
tumblr_inline_o19wh2RtX11skspq4_500.gif

Right = you
Left = all of GAF

I hated that in the cartoon they showed this ancient hieroglyph of ancient amazing pokemon or whatever.

Except it was a square divided into four sections.

One corner for Articuno. Ok this makes sense
One corner for Zapdos. Right, this must just be the 4 legendaries of Gen 1.
One corner for Moltres. Yep, theme is clear here.
One corner for... Arcanine!? What the crap is this? Is this thing some sort of ungodly beast? I must have one, now! Wait!? I can't get one? But fucking Blue/Gary has one on his team. That fucker! He knows!
According to its Pokedex entries Arcanine used to be considered a legendary Pokemon in China (lol real-world locations) and was frequently featured in murals.

Kirlia

Banned

It works in Yellow, and doesn't screw up the game (I highly recommend looking up more about the "Mew glitch", and the other results you can get from it...some of those results, however, CAN screw up the game, but you'd have to really be trying for that).

You can only transfer Gen 1 Pokemon to Sun/Moon...but on the bright side, it's not a monthly fee. It's a yearly fee of five dollars.

Got my New 3DS, spent over an hour sorting out SD cards, finally finish the system transfer and guess what. eShop is under maintenance for two hours meaning I can't finish the transfer and can't play Yellow tonight.

How challenging would a solo Pikachu run in Yellow be? I'm thinking of going for it. Brock would obviously be tough, but are there any other big obstacles?

Ashby

Is there a feel for which version people bought the most? I went with Yellow because of color support and being able to acquire all of the starters easily to transfer them to Pokemon Sun/Moon.

MisterHero

Jesus fucking Christ. Walmart cancelled my n3DS bundle. It was ordered, I paid $220 for new hardware/VC games and was prepared to go out of my way for a store pickup, because for some insane reason I just can't have one shipped to my house. Meanwhile there are people on eBay with craploads selling for 300 fucking dollars.

I thought I was back into Pokémon. Guess not. Fix your shit Nintendo. Or make more of it, I don't care.

eefara

How challenging would a solo Pikachu run in Yellow be? I'm thinking of going for it. Brock would obviously be tough, but are there any other big obstacles?

I would think random crits would be the most difficult part. Pikachu's like a glass half-cannon, since he can barely take a hit and can rarely OHKO foes weak to him on his level. Possible, but you'll be dying to a lot of Rattatas.

Is there a feel for which version people bought the most? I went with Yellow because of color support and being able to acquire all of the starters easily to transfer them to Pokemon Sun/Moon.

Talk on this thread makes me think Yellow's most popular, but I'm sure Red has given it a run for its money.

I would think random crits would be the most difficult part. Pikachu's like a glass half-cannon, since he can barely take a hit and can rarely OHKO foes weak to him on his level. Possible, but you'll be dieing to a lot of Rattatas.

I'm going for it. I've only done one other solo run - a Charizard run in Leaf Green. This should be fun!

Jesus fucking Christ. Walmart cancelled my n3DS bundle. It was ordered, I paid $220 for new hardware/VC games and was prepared to go out of my way for a store pickup, because for some insane reason I just can't have one shipped to my house. Meanwhile there are people on eBay with craploads selling for 300 fucking dollars.

I thought I was back into Pokémon. Guess not. Fix your shit Nintendo. Or make more of it, I don't care.

Sounds more like Walmart's problem that Nintendo's but regardless I'm really sorry to hear that.

Wiseblade

You wouldn't make it past Brock. This is Gen I, there's no Iron Tail. The only way through would be to pin all your hopes on Double Team, Tail Whip and Slam. Have fun with that.

Assuming you power through that, you'd have to replicate that with the Giovanni gym battle. Except now he has 5 Pokémon you have to beat. Hope you've been stockpiling those ethers you can't buy anywhere.

Assuming you somehow make it past THAT, then you have to make it through the elite 4. Not impossible compared to what's come before, but 26 Pokémon, including 2 Onix? That's one hell of an endurance run.

WadeitOut

I mean, you don't have to get that specific bundle to play these games.

You wouldn't make it past Brock. This is Gen I, there's no Iron Tail. The only way through would be to pin all your hopes on Double Team, Tail Whip and Slam. Have fun with that.

Assuming you power through that, you'd have to replicate that with the Giovanni gym battle. Except now he has 5 Pokémon you have to beat. Hope you've been stockpiling those ethers you can't buy anywhere.

Assuming you somehow make it past THAT, then you have to make it through the elite 4. Not impossible compared to what's come before, but 26 Pokémon, including 2 Onix? That's one hell of an endurance run.

By the time you reach Giovanni the Pikachu would be about 20 levels overleveled though

I beat Brock at level 14. Just rely on using Tail Whip to lower their defenses as much as possible, then Quick Attack. If you get to level 15, spam Double Team as well. And Onix's Bide will miss if you don't attack it, so use that time to Tail Whip.

That's the worst of it. After that you'll be pretty overleveled. Fighting Rock types won't be much fun, but it might be doable. Somehow my Pikachu hasn't fainted yet with 3 badges, but I also have a Sandslash at the moment.

Looking at Pikachu's Gen 1 learn set and TMs, it's looking like the best move set will be Thunderbolt, Body Slam, Toxic, and Submission? Not the best coverage but Submission should help with the late-game Rock types.

Definitely agreed.

Yellow reminded me that how his Eevee evolves is entirely dependent on how your encounters with him throughout most of the game play out. Always thought that was pretty neat.

It'd be neat if in future entries, your rival's team in general got more well put together the better you do against them over the course of the game.

Gsnap

Looking at Pikachu's Gen 1 learn set and TMs, it's looking like the best move set will be Thunderbolt, Body Slam, Toxic, and Submission? Not the best coverage but Submission should help with the late-game Rock types.

I'd replace toxic with double team, or some other hard hitting attack. Your pikachu is going to overlevel really fast, but it still won't be the bulkiest pokemon out there. Toxic is for whittling down the opponent, and it doesn't whittle down hard enough until a few turns in, which is not really useful for your fast, light pikachu. So setting up toxic might just be a waste of a turn. Double team would be better so that you won't get hit while you hit back hard. Or, if your attacks are strong enough, you won't even need double team since you'll be overleveled and possible OHKOing everything in your path anyway, so you might as well fit another hard hitting attack in there for coverage. But if 2HKO is the best you can do, then go with double team.

Velcro Fly

On to the Elite 4 in Yellow

My Pikachu has a special of like 80 so Lorelei is going to be the hardest battle.

edit: Couldn't even OHKO Lance's Gyarados with Thunderbolt and then got OHKO by Hyper Beam. This vermin is dead weight :(

edit2: Gary's Vaporeon is such a fucking tank. Mine is too. Pikachu got a hax paralyze on the first T-Bolt and then 4HKO it since all it was doing was Quick Attack to avoid full paralysis. gg.

trixx

ZxaVU0N.jpg

9sSGq7H.jpg

Vy1BSfc.jpg

D66WIgM.jpg

ZJsIzkB.jpg

CFlStMM.jpg

jxfuHK6.jpg

Finally beat it, game was tough. Eighth gym and the elite 4 was very difficult. I used like 7 max potions and 7 revives on elite four. Oh well, would rather not lose half my money lol.

Good stuff overall, I enjoyed it. Pikachu came in clutch, landed all the thunders :D. Had to reset once cause Blue/Gary's Flareon basically killed my entire team with fire spin/flame thrower

Top Bottom