• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Zubz

Banned
Trainer Escape Strats

Is there a surefire way to trigger Ditto in Yellow? I'm aiming for 100% completion, but I don't think any trainers trigger Koffing, Ekans, or Meowth, necessitating the use of the glitch. Plus, I didn't look ahead and chose the Helix Fossil instead of the Dome Fossil; I don't think anyone triggers Kabuto, but IIRC, one of Koga's trainers triggers Omanyte. So I need Kabuto, too.

Arcia

Banned
Awesome; thanks!

When you use this glitch, are the stats of Pokemon you catch fixed, or random? I was wondering if I could keep using it to get a Mew with decent IV's (not much of a concern now, but will be when we can transfer Pokemon via Pokemon Bank).

A Pokemon's IV's are always random, whether its a wild Pokemon, a gift, or even a glitch.

Feel free to reload until you get the one you want. Though that might be a bit annoying because Mew's catch rate is lower than normal and it might take several pokeballs before you are successful each time.

Crayolan

Is there a surefire way to trigger Ditto in Yellow? I'm aiming for 100% completion in Yellow, but I don't think any trainers trigger Koffing, Ekans, or Meowth, necessitating the use of the glitch. Plus, I didn't look ahead and chose the Helix Fossil instead of the Dome Fossil; I don't think anyone triggers Kabuto, but IIRC, one of Koga's trainers triggers Omanyte. So I need Kabuto, too.

Ditto can be found on the bottom floor of the pokemon mansion in Yellow.

WPS

Is there a surefire way to trigger Ditto in Yellow? I'm aiming for 100% completion, but I don't think any trainers trigger Koffing, Ekans, or Meowth, necessitating the use of the glitch. Plus, I didn't look ahead and chose the Helix Fossil instead of the Dome Fossil; I don't think anyone triggers Kabuto, but IIRC, one of Koga's trainers triggers Omanyte. So I need Kabuto, too.

It might be a little late now, but Koffing can be obtained from the Jesse and James fight atop Pokémon Tower (you'll need to perform the pc save trick, since fighting them does not re-enable pressing start) and Ekans comes from a female Ace Trainer in Victory Road. Meowth has a decent chance of appearing from the level 43 Electrode item balls in the Power Plant, but be careful not to accidentally delete Zapdos.

Kinokou

According to the big image, you can get Koffing from Koga with some luck and a guaranteed mewoth from on of Blaines trainer cadets.

kubus

which version are you playing?

Because if it is Red/Blue go to the area in the Safari where the pokemon are and run out of time. Then fly to Cinnabar island and surf up and down the right side. You will encounter all pokemon from that area in the water there. Catch away. If you have not been to Cinnabar go to Seafoam Island and surf up and down the side that you get to from Fuchsia.
Thanks, but I'm playing Yellow :(

http://www.dragonflycave.com/safarizone.aspx
According to this site, your highest probability of catching Pokemon in the safari zone is to just throw balls. Don't bother with bait or rocks.
That's what I feared. Alright, time to head back into the safari zone and spam A :p. Thanks for the help!

Junahu

Bah, I messed with the 8F glitch item and got burned, hard. I lost my entire completed savefile (and all 151 pokemon along with it) because I forgot to actually put the bootstrap pokemon into my party.

Guess I'll just have to go do it all again. At least this time I know how to erase key items I no longer need

cory64

cory64 said:
All-Time US eShop Update:

Yellow – #9 All Games, #5 VC
Red – N/A All Games, #10 VC (the #9 game is #16 among all games so it has some work to do)
Blue – N/A All Games, #14 VC
Update for yellow:
#6 All Games, #3 VC

R&B stayed the same.

Noobcraft

Already beat blue, and have a nuzlocke on red at Koga, but I had to get Yellow for the colors lol.

WVW69jBFdDojUe-CYW

Kazerei

Banned
I just beat the Elite Four and Gary last night, with the in-game timer at almost exactly 13 hours. I'm actually a bit surprised it took me this long, as I've been able to power through the recent Pokemon games in less time. I forgot how many and how detailed the "dungeons" in RBY are, and I guess the world sizes haven't actually increased that much over the generations. Plus I wasted so much time managing items because my computer and bag got full.

I solo'd the whole game with my starter Pikachu, which probably wasn't ideal, but it wasn't that difficult. I grinded before Brock until Pikachu learned Double Team at level 15, then abused that for the win. It was surprisingly easy (or maybe I got lucky). Giovanni (at Viridian) gave me way more trouble. While Pikachu could take a few Tackles from Brock's Geodude and Onix, it could only take two Earthquakes from Giovanni's Dugtrio, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, and Rhydon. I abused Double Team again, but also had to use two hyper potions to stay healthy. I also taught Pikachu Seismic Toss (TM19) to have a reliable damage-dealer for ground types. It was able to KO almost everything in 2 hits, other than Lance's Dragonite and Gary's Sandslash, which took 3 hits. Pikachu was level 79 going in to the Elite Four, and level 82 after beating Gary. So if you're thinking of solo-ing Yellow with Pikachu, that's how I did it.

Cranster

Banned
I've been taking my time with the Yellow version as there are other games I've been focused on as well. I just defeated LT Surge for my Thunder Badge and so far I only have 28 Pokemon captured (including Mew). I've been switching around my team by getting my Pokemon up to even levels with one another so they can evolve and right now Pikachu is the highest level at 23.

I need to find someone I know though to trade with me eventually.

Kinokou

I notice that I have reshaped part of Kanto in my mind.

There's a mangrove forest at the northern part of the cycling road due to it's glitchy trees and route 11 is a hilly park area, inspired in spirit by the hitachi seaside park.

2 areas aren't that much but at least the graphics are open to interpretation and I enjoy that immensely.

kyo2004

Meanwhile at Fuchsia City, another gym leader is taken down (playing again after 2 busy weeks)...

https://youtu.be/c-KurFRhV2E

How do you keep the team leveled equally without the Exp.All? I always fail miserably trying to do that (Blastoise Lvl up so fast in comparison with my other team members)... :(

Revven

Meanwhile at Fuchsia City, another gym leader is taken down (playing again after 2 busy weeks)...

How do you keep the team leveled equally without the Exp.All? I always fail miserably trying to do that (Blastoise Lvl up so fast in comparison with my other team members)... :(

Here's my tip:

When you catch a Pokemon that is lower leveled than your starter, catch them up to your starter's level by grinding in the grass vs other wild Pokemon. At a certain point, you may need to move to different grass to fight higher leveled Pokemon but generally the wild Pokemon give you enough EXP, even if you're overleveled, to get to where you need them to be.

Then, once they're at the same level as your starter, put your starter back at the front and fight with that until he levels up. Whatever trainer you fight next, before you do, switch the starter from being first to second and fight the trainer with your Pokemon you caught. Fight with that until it levels up and then switch it from first to your starter for the next trainer and rinse and repeat.

Your starter and your other Poke should be leveling up at the same rate/same levels and as you add more Pokemon to the party, well, you just need to grind those up the same way vs wild Pokemon before fighting trainers. When you have all six decided and leveled up to the same level, whoever is first you then level up and then go down the list switching them out so the next Pokemon to level up goes first against whatever trainers you're going to fight next.

And if you really don't want to grind vs wild Pokemon, another method is to have the Pokemon you want to level up be first in your party but then you immediately switch to your starter so that the Pokemon you just had out gets at least half of the EXP. This method takes longer for your Pokemon to be on the same level as your starter but if you don't have the time to grind then it's the second best method.

Finally finished. Netflix helped me through the grind as I leveled up Dragonair from level 44 to 49 and then I used rare candies to finish the job.

My final party:
Pikachu (Kei): Level 47
Dragonite (Kiryu): Level 55
Chansey (Camilla): Level 46
Vaporeon (Rain): Level 46
Ninetales (Meiyin): Level 45
Sandslash (Pine): Level 45

It was definitely an enjoyable trip, but a lot of the old school stuff really pisses me off. Nonetheless, it's going to be awesome taking this team into Sun/Moon. Finally made a team of all Kanto Pokemon that I actually like.

kiri

Just got my boxed copy of Yellow. Now I see the big image up top to get all 151 but is there a website or something I can use to get through the game whilst getting all 151?

I noticed on the eShop that in North America, the option is available for all players to be able to purchase all three of the games in English, French, or Spanish. Is anybody here playing through the game in a non-native language for practice?

Went to Pokemon Center Kyoto and got my Mew in Green version today. Feels good to be able to complete my Pokedex without glitching.

TUtDmSD.jpg

On a vaguely related note, heh, in Japanese, the VC bottom screen rhymes

eefara

I noticed on the eShop that in North America, the option is available for all players to be able to purchase all three of the games in English, French, or Spanish. Is anybody here playing through the game in a non-native language for practice?

I don't have it yet, but I'd like to get a Spanish version of one of them to practice.

Depending on what point you're at, Diglett's Cave is a pretty good place to grind and get everyone up to speed.

- If they have a Water or Grass attack, easy peasy.

- If they don't, Digletts are weak as shit so most physical attacks at a high level can usually take them down in 1-2 hits. Just be careful because the higher leveled ones know Dig. When I would grind Fire-type Pokemon or whatever I'd just switch to something part-Flying to avoid damage there.

I was able to get my Dragonair from 31 to 41 in about five trips through the cave. Once a poke hits 40 you're probably good to take it through to Cinnibar.

I got Spanish Red Version just for that reason! Haha.
It's weird, because I'm SO familiar with the English versions of Gen 1 games that the spot-on translations come very easily and I pretty much understand 100% of the game.

Was banned when this first came out! Been chugging along ever since. Went with a Shakespeare theming for names... just got through Rock Tunnel sans Flash, jesus what a horrible trip down memory lane.

Yellow Version
Montague - Nidoking - Lv. 33
Benedick - Ivysaur - Lv. 27
Tybalt - Primeape - Lv. 31
Sycorax - Eevee - Lv. 25

1) When's a good level to evolve Eevee? I know he learns no type-based moves via level-up, as far as I remember? Probably going to go with a Flareon (or else get Vulpix from the Game Corner)

2) There are a LOT of Poison types in teams. I need to get psychic or... ground? Am I remembering right?

3) I'm already super-thirsty for Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal to come to the eShop. Will Game Freak be stubborn and wait until nearer the 20th Anniversary, or can we expect them sooner given they didn't mind releasing Yellow version a bit early?

I could load up an emulator right now, but just feels more legit playing on a Nintendo system!

Kinokou

On a vaguely related note, heh, in Japanese, the VC bottom screen rhymes

I'll be getting red or blue in Italian on the Euroshop if offered, maybe. I'll see if I feel like going again after finishing Yellow.

Josephl64

Had a glitch after selling off a ton of items in my inventory where when I opened my bag again, it had nothing in it. Well except for the fact that I could still scroll through blank spaces as if they were still there.

Luckily after saving and restarting, my key items and balls were still there. It started working fine ever since.

Anybody knows why this may have happened? (Pokemon Green)

Crayolan

1) When's a good level to evolve Eevee? I know he learns no type-based moves via level-up, as far as I remember? Probably going to go with a Flareon (or else get Vulpix from the Game Corner)

2) There are a LOT of Poison types in teams. I need to get psychic or... ground? Am I remembering right?

3) I'm already super-thirsty for Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal to come to the eShop. Will Game Freak be stubborn and wait until nearer the 20th Anniversary, or can we expect them sooner given they didn't mind releasing Yellow version a bit early?

1. Eevee's level up learnset in any generation is pretty trash. I'd just evolve it immediately.

2. You don't "need" any type, but psychic types are total monsters in gen 1, yes. Ground is also SE vs Poison, but not quite as effective overall.

3. No idea.

Hmm, I can't seem to do the reboard S.S. Anne glitch. The trainer seems to always spawn facing down when reloading the save file.

EDIT: Nvm, I was not performing the glitch correctly. I wasn't holding right while saving.

kubus

So my boyfriend and I just traded each others Haunters and when he received my Haunter, the name was deleted. So he got messages like "Received !" and "What? is evolving!". That's when we knew something weird was going on. When we traded our Gengars back, I checked out my Pokémons stats and... well, take a look:

DMMnCs4.jpg
FD2Zqv8.jpg

Everything's messed up. I tried healing him at the Pokemon Center, putting him in a box, taking it out of the box - the stats screen just gets reshuffled and/or my game freezes. I've already accepted I'm not going to get my Haunter/Gengar back, but what should I do now to prevent my game from corrupting even more? Should I release it?

edit: I released it. Game looks to be working okay. Save file still there after I saved. Sheeesh.

kiri

About to start Yellow (Japan). Is there so location/website of all the possible glitches that I could utilise?

Ideally I'm after a full 151 pokédex, Pikachu with surf and that's it~

Link_enfant

I've just read on Nintendo's official website that the pre-installed versions of Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow in the special 2DS bundles all have an update to be downloaded on eShop.
Any idea on the purpose of this update?
Is there any kind of exploit only available on those pre-installed version?

Arcia

Banned
About to start Yellow (Japan). Is there so location/website of all the possible glitches that I could utilise?

Ideally I'm after a full 151 pokédex, Pikachu with surf and that's it~

This is a pretty good reference to use: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_glitches_in_Generation_I

It lists most of the known glitches throughout all of the Gen 1 games and organizes them by which ones work with red and blue, yellow, or all of them.

You can use the Mew glitch (and Ditto sub glitch) to get any pokemon you want in the game, though it is a little harder to do in Yellow since Ditto is found much later in the game than Red and Blue. You can also encounter Missingno. through this method, so you can still replicate items in Yellow.

No idea how you would get a surfing pikachu, though I think you at least don't need one to do the minigame in these digital releases.

Josephl64

Yeah I've been having more fun with Green than I ever did with X. Despite the improvements in EV training and competitive battling...it gets dampered down without a rival that was fun for me.

Gen 1 definitely has its problems no doubt, but it's still really fun to go back and play through.

Josephl64

Yeah there are a lot of deficiencies when it comes to competitive battling. As a single player game it remains surprisingly fresh

Oh yeah, single player is amazing fun. The Japanese version is even more broken in terms of competitive with Blizzard having a 30% chance to freeze instead of 10%.

Oh yeah, single player is amazing fun. The Japanese version is even more broken in terms of competitive with Blizzard having a 30% chance to freeze instead of 10%.
Probably for the best that Focus Energy was bugged back then, I'd hate to imagine a Nidoqueen running around with an R/G Blizzard that crits all the time. There's tons of questionable decisions made back then, but a 120 BP Ice move with 90% accuracy and a 30% freeze chance is possibly the most broken thing they've ever made.

...making a 100/100 ground move with no drawbacks in singles to this day isn't very good either, but still.

Just started playing again and finally beat the Elite 4. Final team:

Pikachu - level 49
Venusaur - level 47
Charizard - level 43
Blastoise - level 49
Nidoking - level 43
Mr. Mime - level 49

First 3 of the Elite 4 went fine. Had to reset a few times on Lance because of bullshit Hyper Beam crits while trying to set up. Gary took me an attempt to decide who to open up with. Opened with Venusaur because his Sandslash only used Poison Sting on him. Had to switch him out on Eggexcutor though because Hypnosis removed his stat buffs but by that point I could beat the rest of his Pokemon straight up. Just needed to outspeed the Alakazam.

Cranster

Banned
I never thought I'd get back into Pokemon this many years later, but here I am with Yellow and Blue, Heart Gold and X editions. All while waiting impatiently for more Sun & Moon info and the hopefull announcement of G/S/C as Eshop releases.

Top Bottom