• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Damn that sucks. Even though I started on the original GB, playing them in GBC mode is still most nostalgic to me.

Same, not sure why they decided to not do this, but I guess it can't be helped.

Kinda hyped to play this again, jank and all. Think I'll be going with Blue just for nostalgia reasons even though I never went with Red.

Rizzi

It's amazing in retrospect that a company made a consumer electronic the size of a brick with a green and black interface and it sold millions. Though by the time I got Pokemon I had the Game Boy Pocket so I have no green Pikachu nostalgia.

Does anyone have pics of the JPN boxed versions? I wanna see...

It really is.

Shaky

So ready for this. I think I'll watch the first season of the anime as well to get the full blast of nostalgia.

If I had some Base Set, Jungle and Fossil booster packs that'd be my childhood right there.

Acrylic7

I might have to get yellow instead of My first PKMN game Blue just because I want some darn color -_-

a few questions-
-Can you battle online
-Can you put Pikachu in PC (I cant remember)
-and does the 3ds shop use funny money like Nintendo points or something? Iv never purchased anything off of the 3ds store.

I might have to get yellow instead of My first PKMN game Blue just because I want some darn color -_-

a few questions-
-Can you battle online
-and does the 3ds shop use funny money like Nintendo points or something? Iv never purchased anything off of the 3ds store.
No
Yes
No?

a few questions-
-Can you battle online
No online battles, you have to be in close proximity to someone

You can put Pikachu in the PC, but wait until you get Bulbasaur if you want him

You can buy Nintendo funny money to put in the eShop or you can just use a credit card.

Wait... can you not transfer the Pokemon from this into Bank and then into XY/OrAs? That's pretty scummy if true. Getting pretty tired of Gamefreak walling off shit like this when there's no reason to - if they can go to Pokemon Bank there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to go to XYOrAs from there.

dity

Same, not sure why they decided to not do this, but I guess it can't be helped.

Kinda hyped to play this again, jank and all. Think I'll be going with Blue just for nostalgia reasons even though I never went with Red.
I think I'll be getting Blue myself, since I lost it as a child. Although the temptation to go with Yellow (as it was my first ever portable video game) is VERY high

leng jai

Just going to buy Blue for the sake of it, doubt I'll even play. I probably played a few thousand hours already as a kid.these are just straight Gameboy ports right?

dity

Just going to buy Blue for the sake of it, doubt I'll even play. I probably played a few thousand hours already as a kid.these are just straight Gameboy ports right?
Straight ports but with wireless link battles and Pokemon Bank support.

jax

Banned
Wait... can you not transfer the Pokemon from this into Bank and then into XY/OrAs? That's pretty scummy if true. Getting pretty tired of Gamefreak walling off shit like this when there's no reason to - if they can go to Pokemon Bank there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to go to XYOrAs from there.
Come on, transferring a Gen 1 Pokemon to Gen 7 is a feat in itself. They would have to add fundamental patches to both XY and ORAS in order to make that work. I'd rather those resources go into making a new game great than an old game slightly less mediocre.

Come on, transferring a Gen 1 Pokemon to Gen 7 is a feat in itself. They would have to add fundamental patches to both XY and ORAS in order to make that work. I'd rather those resources go into making a new game great than an old game slightly less mediocre.
Yes, it is a feat. But the feat would be on Bank's end, no? In order to transfer Pokemon onto Bank from these, you would have to convert them there, unless they're adding some kind of special Gen I Bank specifically for these which SM can pull from. Which would be a tad silly, and even if that is the case there's really no excuse why they couldn't put the functionality to convert onto Bank in the first place instead of holding it out for SM. It just comes across as money-grubbing. "Buy these new games if you want a feature that we are advertising for a game you already bought!"

Not to mention these roms are ten bucks a pop. Anything they wanted to include here rather than on SM would make them more worth the rather exorbitant price point.

dity

Yes, it is a feat. But the feat would be on Bank's end, no? In order to transfer Pokemon onto Bank from these, you would have to convert them there, unless they're adding some kind of special Gen I Bank specifically for these which SM can pull from. Which would be a tad silly, and even if that is the case there's really no excuse why they couldn't put the functionality to convert onto Bank in the first place instead of holding it out for SM. It just comes across as money-grubbing. "Buy these new games if you want a feature that we are advertising for a game you already bought!"

Not to mention these roms are ten bucks a pop. Anything they wanted to include here rather than on SM would make them more worth the rather exorbitant price point.

Gen 1 Pokemon have different stats and moves that no longer exist anymore in Gen 6.

Pokemaniac

The official wording is that Pokemon from these games can't be "directly" moved to XY/ORAS. Since Sun and Moon seem to be a new generation, it would make sense that they'd write their upgrade path to convert to the newest games' format, but the odd inclusion of "directly" suggests that there may be a Time Capsule type feature which lets you move Pokemon back to older games.

Blues1990

I had started with Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal for my Pokemon experience (and played the subsequent games, with the exception of Pokemon Black 2/White 2), but I never played the originals. Between Red, Blue, & Yellow, which one would provide the best experience?

Josh5890

I had started with Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal for my Pokemon experience (and played the subsequent games, with the exception of Pokemon Black 2/White 2), but I never played the originals. Between Red, Blue, & Yellow, which one would provide the best experience?

Yellow since you can get all three starters. Just don't put that Pikachu in the box.

Fink

I'm crossing my fingers for a midnight release. Yesterday on Amazon I saw it temporarily say the release time was today at 4 so I had gotten pretty excited.

Gotta say I'm super bummed Red and Blue don't get color. I've had plans to get Yellow since they announced this (it was my first Pokemon game, never had Red or Blue) but I feel totally guilty considering more people will probably have Yellow because of the color thing, which means the Blue and Red exclusives will be much harder to come by. I don't really get why they kept them in black and white. Why hasn't a color option been integrated into GB VC games yet?

MLO

So ready for this. I think I'll watch the first season of the anime as well to get the full blast of nostalgia.

If I had some Base Set, Jungle and Fossil booster packs that'd be my childhood right there.

THIS. Blue was my first game when I was young, but I'll be picking up yellow as I can grab all of the starters. I caught them all when I was young
and remember being so disappointed that they told you to buy a gameboy printer to print a certificate as a reward.

Plasmid

I'm crossing my fingers for a midnight release. Yesterday on Amazon I saw it temporarily say the release time was today at 4 so I had gotten pretty excited.

My Amazon invoice says it'll be released at 12 PST 2/27. Which is 2 for me. Bummer.

Kssio_Aug

Still not sure if I'm going to get it, but if I do I will go with Yellow just because it's the only one that has colors. Otherwise, I'd probably get Blue.

DeVeAn

Gah these are kinda expensive for Game Boy games. I want Red for Nostalgic purpose and yellow too. Want Xenoblade and Zelda HD too...only have $50 on eShop 😩

Gah these are kinda expensive for Game Boy games. I want Red for Nostalgic purpose and yellow too. Want Xenoblade and Zelda HD too...only have $50 on eShop 😩

They're $10 because they're not just Gameboy game ports. They've got the wireless stuff and the Pokebank support.

Kssio_Aug

I live in Brazil and dollar here is quite expensive nowadays, that's why I haven't decided yet. 10 dollars end up not being cheap anymore for me!

Still, that nostalgia!! Pokemon RBY is awesome!

I think I'll focus on finishing OR for now, and in the future I think about getting it (maybe I get some discount at it later).

Pokemaniac

They're $10 because they're not just Gameboy game ports. They've got the wireless stuff and the Pokebank support.

While you could argue that the cost is subsidizing Pokemon Bank development, Pokemon Bank really isn't something that has to be explicitly supported. It is a standalone app which edits save files.

While you could argue that the cost is subsidizing Pokemon Bank development, Pokemon Bank really isn't something that has to be explicitly supported. It is a standalone app which edits save files.

The R/B/Y savefiles are not in anywhere near the same format as the newer games though. Being able to properly extract pokemon from those without destroying the save file took a lot of work to make happen, I imagine, let alone the process of converting pokemon from R/B/Y's antiquated stat system to the new one.

And then there's the wireless trading and battling.

These are probably the most complex Virtual Console ports ever released.

Top Bottom