• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

SalvaPot

They're $10 because they're not just Gameboy game ports. They've got the wireless stuff and the Pokebank support.

Let's be honest, they cost $10 because people would pay for them.

Hell, they could make a limited Psychical Edition and charge $40 for it and it would sold-out on Amazon in minutes.

jax

Banned
Joke's on you, I already preordered from Amazon Japan all 3 of the 2DS (Blue doesn't exist and you can't tell me otherwise), and all 4 games and they are on their way to my Tenso address as we are speaking. HAHAHAHAHA!

HA.

ha...
I'm in a similar boat. They own us man.
GAH STILL COMING SOON NOOOO

DeVeAn

The R/B/Y savefiles are not in anywhere near the same format as the newer games though. Being able to properly extract pokemon from those without destroying the save file took a lot of work to make happen, I imagine, let alone the process of converting pokemon from R/B/Y's antiquated stat system to the new one.

And then there's the wireless trading and battling.

These are probably the most complex Virtual Console ports ever released.
Bank is a yearly fee though. As of now only works with unreleased games. They do include nice touch ups but $10 is high. They can do it because it's hype and Pokemon really.

Fink

The R/B/Y savefiles are not in anywhere near the same format as the newer games though. Being able to properly extract pokemon from those without destroying the save file took a lot of work to make happen, I imagine, let alone the process of converting pokemon from R/B/Y's antiquated stat system to the new one.

And then there's the wireless trading and battling.

These are probably the most complex Virtual Console ports ever released.

Wireless stuff indeed, however I wouldn't be surprised if the transferring would be reading the pokemon on the VC title, and then generating a Pokemon with the same species / nickname / movepool / level and then just randomly generating the rest.

Velcro Fly

I am literally almost crying tears of joy. These games were my childhood. My first RPG. It got me into portable gaming really even though I had a GameBoy before Pokemon.

I never thought I'd get to play these games again. I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed.

Another thing, see if you can beat the Rival on Route 22 without buying Poke Balls or catching any other Pokemon, then go back to Oak. You get rewarded and save some money in the process.

kyo2004

Blue acquired...

It's Kanto Time... :)
vJNxMD4.jpg

I really wonder how they're going to make the Pokemon Bank support work. The whole reason Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon were incompatible with the later games in the first place is because of the huge changes to the IV and EV system made with Gen 3. If I remember correctly, back in the old days Pokemon only had four IVs (or DVs, as we called'em: Attack, Defence, Speed and Special, which ranged from 0-16 rather than 0-31), and their EVs (which we called EPs) didn't top out at 510. You used to be able to max every stat.

Long story short, Pokemon from Gen 1 and 2 were significantly beefier than Pokes from Gen 3 onwards. You didn't have Natures to get the extra 10%, but in return you had sweepers with maxed speed, attack and defences, and battles were grudge matches where you needed Toxic on everyone just to try and whittle away at massive defensive walls. It'll be easy enough to split the Special stat into SpA and SpD (they already did it automatically in G/S/C), but I wonder how they'll deal with the EVs. The easiest thing would be to reset everything to 0 upon transfer, but then you'd have people wondering why their beastly Mewtwos turned into busters all of a sudden.

stuminus3

Reminder: hold down START and SELECT when start up your game to play it with a Gameboy border (or GB Color border for Yellow), it has a cool 3D effect.

SalvaPot

Man, years of playing competitively have ruined me. First thing I did when I received Pikachu was try to check its nature.

SalvaPot

Go into the options and set the sound to one of the earphone modes. Makes it play through the 3DS speakers in stereo. That might help a bit.

I gave this a try... I like Mono better, but that might be because nostalgia, since EP3 is objectively the best one.

FUCK. This topic just made me buy yellow version. No regrets. That was the first Pokemon game I owned as a kid and I have so many memories of it.

KingBroly

Banned
I gave this a try... I like Mono better, but that might be because nostalgia, since EP3 is objectively the best one.

Mono gives you stereo on 3DS. Why? Because...

I'm stopping in Viridian City. I have 5 Pokemon and played for a half hour. Good enough for now.

RomanceDawn

First timer downloading Blue now.

Thankilidankily.

Question about the transparent 2DSs. I live in the United States, if I imported the red one from the UK or something would my American games work on that thing? I'm assuming no. I'm also assuming the special 2DS colors are only available in Japan and the UK.

No, 3DS and 2DS ecosystems are completely region locked, eShop, carts, everything is region locked.

Top Bottom