• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police at UC Davis pepper spray faces/mouths of peaceful student protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not watch the videos in the OP and decide for yourself?

Edit: also, there is some serious troll feeding going on here - just ignore them already.

I did watch it. Like I said, I'm not condoning the way the police reacted, but being surrounded by protesters that are defying what you are ordering them to do will lead to something like this happening.

marrec

Banned
I would like to again give attention to the fact that this protest went off without any violence on the protesters part. It's amazing given the circumstances that nobody decided to lash out against the police and they should be given recognition for their astounding restraint. I hope that protesters around the country look at this video and it helps steel their resolve in the face of increasing police and authoritarian violence.

Inspiring work.

Now I'm off to bed.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
this just in:

police abuse their authority, think they run the world

more at 11

Dead Man

I would like to again give attention to the fact that this protest went off without any violence on the protesters part. It's amazing given the circumstances that nobody decided to lash out against the police and they should be given recognition for their astounding restraint. I hope that protesters around the country look at this video and it helps steel their resolve in the face of increasing police and authoritarian violence.

Inspiring work.

Now I'm off to bed.

Indeed. I am not convinced about their goals, nor am I convinced it will bring any positive change, but they conducted themselves brilliantly in this instance.

There is generally power in numbers, but that isn't the case for the 99%. The 99% is a fractured, schizophrenic mess that runs the gamut from people that want legitimate change to people that are police apologists. The 1% can sit back and watch us devour one another.

Margalis

Banned
All crime is violent crime by definition, which is why the term "violent crime" doesn't exist - it's redundant.

True story.

Now I'm off to do some violent jaywalking. Later.

Lol, when have you ever swayed an opinion? Surely you have some level of self-awareness?

I could easily convince you that they police where planning on escalating to keeping live ammo rounds for use if a situation escalates and that they were planning on creating a false flag situation. Once you know a person political ideology and biases, you can easily convince them of something that fits in their belief/bias universe.

So then you acknowledge that they were knowingly breaking the law? I thought this was a peaceful protest we were discussing.

Rosa Parks broke the law when she didn't give up her seat. Rosa Parks was involved in a non-violent protest. Peaceful civil disobedience means breaking the law without the use of violence.

Do you understand that civil disobedience and all the drama makes some people like me embarrassed and unable to be associated with OWS? You don't need it to spread the message, the vast majority of Americans feel disenfranchised and economically screwed by the wealthy. But I'm not hitching my wagon to such a disruptive and juvenile group, get some actual leaders and run some candidates who can do some actual change. Or I'll be on the sidelines waiting for someone serious to emerge.

If you think these problems can be solved by running a candidate for national election, you haven't been paying attention.

I could easily convince you that they police where planning on escalating to keeping live ammo rounds for use if a situation escalates and that they were planning on greeting a false flag situation. Once you know a person political ideology and biases, you can easily convince them of something that fits in their belief/bias universe.

Uh huh.

Ha ha, look at those silly Negroes, wanting to go to school with White People! They got what they deserved.

Oh, wait, wrong era.

Should I wait for the posts of denial and protest that that was different, and I'd be right there protesting such an outrageous abuse of civil rights, but this is just about mommy and daddy having to pay more for college, or lazy bums hating rich people, or not liking cops beating up students and faculty at another school, or whatever else I don't agree with. Is the protest-to-come about being pepper-sprayed by overzealous police a worthy one? Where is that line that justifies the risk of (gasp) sitting down and blocking a sidewalk? Do you even have one? It seems doubtful, for anyone espousing "do what cops say, or you gon' get hurt."

The next thing you know, these Negroes will want to marry our White Women!

Ha ha, look at those silly Negroes, wanting to go to school with White People! They got what they deserved.

Oh, wait, wrong era.

Should I wait for the posts of denial and protest that that was different, and I'd be right there protesting such an outrageous abuse of civil rights, but this is just about mommy and daddy having to pay more for college, or lazy bums hating rich people, or not liking cops beating up students and faculty at another school, or whatever else I don't agree with. Is the protest-to-come about being pepper-sprayed by overzealous police a worthy one? Where is that line that justifies the risk of (gasp) sitting down and blocking a sidewalk? Do you even have one? It seems doubtful, for anyone espousing "do what cops say, or you gon' get hurt."

The next thing you know, these Negroes will want to marry our White Women!

"Where all the white women at!"*

*in case someone is really dense, it's a blazing saddles reference.

I could easily convince you that they police where planning on escalating to keeping live ammo rounds for use if a situation escalates and that they were planning on greeting a false flag situation. Once you know a person political ideology and biases, you can easily convince them of something that fits in their belief/bias universe.

Sometimes they can even convince themselves!

Fusebox

Banned

Planning on escalating to keeping ammo to use if escalated?

Manos, you couldn't convince a dog to sit.

royalan

Rosa Parks broke the law when she didn't give up her seat. Rosa Parks was involved in a non-violent protest. Peaceful civil disobedience means breaking the law without the use of violence.

Are we seriously about to compare this to the Civil Rights Movement? Because there are big differences here.

Planning on escalating to keeping ammo to use if escalated?

Manos, you couldn't convince a dog to sit.

That said I can't help it if a person can't read, but you can easily be manipulated if the need arised, you are not a person of great will and strength and in the end would lap it up like anyone else.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Posted this in the other thread, but it's worth reading if you haven't yet.

Dumb-ass Training and the U.C. Davis Pepper Spray Incident: Thoughts From a Former Cop

And if police need to remove these students, then the police can go in four officers to one protester and remove them. Lift them up and take them away. Maybe you need one or two more officers with a threatening baton to keep others from getting involved. It really can be that simple.

People don’t hate the police for fighting off aggressors or arresting law breakers. They do hate police for causing pain—be it by dog, fire house, Taser, or mace—to those who passively resist. And that’s what happened yesterday at U.C. Davis.

royalan

Do you know what civil rights are? Doesn't sound like it.

Oh? And what about anything I've said in this thread indicates to you that I don't know what civil rights are? So it's a civil right to protest on private property without response by the authorities?

Oh? And what about anything I've said in this thread indicates to you that I don't know what civil rights are? So it's a civil right to protest on private property without response by the authorities?

LOL

The Civil Rights Movement wasn't named after the way they protested. What in the world are you comparing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom