• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ding II

Thanks for that. I did a bit of eye rolling when some folks were going on about "getting emotional" while watching Michelle's speech. Well mea culpa, I got a little misty there for a bit as well.

And surprisingly to me, while I found the parts where Michelle was talking from a woman's perspective about the recent horrors to be very powerful, I didn't actually feel emotional until she got to the part where "defended" ordinary, non-shitty men. Not sure why that sudden, unasked-for acknowledgement struck a chord, but it did. I guess I've been feeling a little guilty about being a man, at least subconsciously. Like some sort of insidious Trump-ian contact-high. Fuck that dude, seriously.

Wow, Deborah Ross is fucking pissed when talking about HB2.

We can't even talk about HB2 in polite company here in NC now. Everyone I know (all liberals, more or less) goes into frothing rage mode when it comes up.

Understand what the law is:

- institutionalized discrimination
- rural, dirt poor counties telling cities that prop them up what their culture must be like

Deep cultural shearing is never nice to work through, but add two big statewide elections and legislative body hellbent on gerrymandering and voter suppression, and the entire state's on political fire right now.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Thanks for that. I did a bit of eye rolling when some folks were going on about "getting emotional" while watching Michelle's speech. Well mea culpa, I got a little misty there for a bit as well.

And surprisingly to me, while I found the parts where Michelle was talking from a woman's perspective about the recent horrors to be very powerful, I didn't actually feel emotional until she got to the part where "defended" ordinary, non-shitty men. Not sure why that sudden, unasked-for acknowledgement struck a chord, but it did. I guess I've been feeling a little guilty about being a man, at least subconsciously. Like some sort of insidious Trump-ian contact-high. Fuck that dude, seriously.

Just don't do what Chait did today on Twitter.

Boke1879

Not that Trump had much policy to begin with, but he's essentially talking about nothing right now. Who cares aside from you base about who invaded who's space at the debate? Dude really lets the media get to his head.

We can't even talk about HB2 in polite company here in NC now. Everyone I know (all liberals, more or less) goes into frothing rage mode when it comes up.

Understand what the law is:

- institutionalized discrimination
- rural, dirt poor counties telling cities that prop them up what their culture must be like

Deep cultural shearing is never nice to work through, but add two big statewide elections and legislative body hellbent on gerrymandering and voter suppression, and the entire state's on political fire right now.

Well, it was lovely for Richard Burr to say he supports HB2 and it hasn't hurt the state's economy at all. Coming to an ad near you!

SexyFish

Banned

The only Sept. 11th donation in those documents was a $1,000 donation in 2006 to the New York Rescue Workers Detoxification Fund, a group founded by Tom Cruise that used scientifically questionable methods approved by Scientology to help rescue workers.

Trump a secret Scientologist trying to get David Miscavige as our Shadow President confirmed.

I really thought people were better than this.

While most American women think that Trump's video apology was not good enough, men tend to either be OK with it or think he had nothing to apologize for in the first place

It's like no one gives a damn unless it is THEIR race/religion/gender that is attacked.

Well, it was lovely for Richard Burr to say he supports HB2 and it hasn't hurt the state's economy at all. Coming to an ad near you!

Yeah I'm excited about that one.

He also totally set himself up by fearmongering about sex offenders and Ross was like, "Then how the hell can you support Trump??"

kcp12304

Banned

Something that doesn't get talked about is how Trump and Billy Bush were in a professional environment. They were making gross and personal comments about Bush's co-worker and they were supposed to have a working relationship with the actress they were making comments about and tried to creep on. How many women have experienced that in the workplace. The talking about their bodies at the expense of their abilities, the inappropriate touching and creepy behavior (how bout a hug), or a man in a position of power over your employment allowed harass you and worse (walking in on naked women, unwanted kissing, groping).

Sam Bee quickly mentioned the workplace and how she knows women who have been inappropriately touched. Michelle related Trumps behavior to personal experiences like catcalls, Campus rape, etc. She talks about how the media is treating this as just another headline but this shit cuts to the experiences of many women in ways that us dudes don't always understand. She personalized Trumps comments and behavior in ways others have not.

Not that Trump had much policy to begin with, but he's essentially talking about nothing right now. Who cares aside from you base about who invaded who's space at the debate? Dude really lets the media get to his head.

No, you're wrong. His surrogates keep reminding us that Trump is all about focusing on the issues, Hillary is about pettiness and negativity. Get it right.

chefbags

Something that doesn't get talked about is how Trump and Billy Bush were in a professional environment. They were making gross and personal comments about Bush's co-worker and they were supposed to have a working relationship with the actress they were making comments about and tried to creep on. How many women have experienced that in the workplace. The talking about their bodies at the expense of their abilities, the inappropriate touching and creepy behavior (how bout a hug), or a man in a position of power over your employment allowed harass you and worse (walking in on naked women, unwanted kissing, groping).

Sam Bee quickly mentioned the workplace and how she knows women who have been inappropriately touched. Michelle related Trumps behavior to personal experiences like catcalls, Campus rape, etc. She talks about how the media is treating this as just another headline but this shit cuts to the experienced of many women in ways that us dudes don't always understand. She personalized Trumps comments and behavior in ways others have not.

Yep. Trevor Noah from the Daily show talks about it pretty well. Billy Bush is definitely an accomplice.

https://youtu.be/LiPjWUn-PUo

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Have you decided on the Senate Race? I know you got heat for it during the primary.
I was always going to vote for Hassan, I just think people should be evaluated as individuals and not by their party. I've learned to accept that because the two parties are so different in most cases there's really only one choice for me. I'll be voting straight ticket (I got burned voting for a couple local Republicans in midterms), but I'm not happy there's no deliberation. Being pragmatic is often not enjoyable.

That's what I've been trying to ingrain in my father and other diehard Bernie people: nothing he wants to accomplish will happen under a Trump administration, so you must vote HRC.

Cur-zYNW8AEYaDS.jpg:large

Just ugh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom