• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding Lib Dems, Clegg was viewed as a traitor to liberals for forming a supply and confidence coalition with the Conservatives and letting Osbourne run roughshod over the welfare state, so that explains their collapse.

I mean I guess LibDems will probably get like 8-9% of the vote and like 5-15 seats, but still. It's a far cry from where they were.

1992: 20 seats
1997: 46 seats
2001: 52 seats
2004: 62 seats
2010: 57 seats
2015: 8 seats

Nick Clegg really killed them, but they're not a party that can get 30+ seats anymore. No 3rd parties really can besides SNP, and we're already seeing that they'll probably lose seats.

Regarding Lib Dems, Clegg was viewed as a traitor to liberals for forming a supply and confidence coalition with the Conservatives and letting Osbourne run roughshod over the welfare state, so that explains their collapse.

Yes.

KingK

How about the fact that people over the retirement age are weirdly obsessed with keeping jobs available at the cost of destroying the environment.
Seriously, I can't wait until Gen X and millennials start actually dominating politics. Like, every single poll, on nearly every single issue, looks really good and leaves me optimistic for the future when you just look at people under 45.

The boomers are clinging to power (in government and the private sector) way longer than they should, and I just worry about how much damage they'll do before dying off.

mackaveli

So does Corbyn have a chance to win at all? Or will May win but not win as big as everyone thought when she first announced the snap election? I'm Canadian so my knowledge of what is going on in the UK is limited. I just remember reading that everyone was saying May would increase the amount of seats the conservatives had in government and that is why she called for the election.

But it looks like it might have back fired?

KingK

So does Corbyn have a chance to win at all? Or will May win but not win as big as everyone thought when she first announced the snap election? I'm Canadian so my knowledge of what is going on in the UK is limited. I just remember reading that everyone was saying May would increase the amount of seats the conservatives had in government and that is why she called for the election.

Maybe the Tories should have learned their lesson when they called for the Brexit referendum lol. Fucking idiots

I think (and I could be wrong) the best shot is a hung parliament that would maybe cause a leadership vacuum and another election. Corbyn's numbers are already moving up and he's been campaigning well, so maybe more time and Tory madness would cut into their "strong and stable" message.

So they're just turning into a two-party system? Is this FPTP-related?

Sort of. LibDems have been trying to reposition themselves as the party of Hard Remain, but that's only like 22% of the electorate.

I mean I guess LibDems will probably get like 8-9% of the vote and like 5-15 seats, but still. It's a far cry from where they were.
A graph which better visualizes this:

CBDVZPFW4AAKbbt.png

I think the overton window just moved really far left in 97 because of Black Wednesday and some conservatives joined the lib dems so that they wouldn't have to vote labour. But I don't really know UK politics, someone will have to ask in UK Poligaf.

chadskin

President Donald Trump is still looking for a new FBI director more than three weeks after he fired James Comey, and sources familiar with the recruiting process say it has been chaotic and that job interviews led by Trump have been brief.

Three close associates of three contenders for the job, all of whom have been interviewed by Trump, said the candidates were summoned to the White House for 10- to 20-minute conversations with Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Those conversations, which followed initial interviews at the Justice Department, have been light on questions about substantive issues facing the agency, the three associates said.

While the department has compiled a long list of candidates for the White House, there has been no “clear framework or logic for who was interviewed and why,” said one of the sources.

Another of the three sources described the process as chaotic and said that in one interview, Trump spoke mostly about himself and seemed distracted.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-justice-fbi-idUSKBN18T2S8

Kusagari

Seriously, I can't wait until Gen X and millennials start actually dominating politics. Like, every single poll, on nearly every single issue, looks really good and leaves me optimistic for the future when you just look at people under 45.

The boomers are clinging to power (in government and the private sector) way longer than they should, and I just worry about how much damage they'll do before dying off.

The fact that the group most consistently supporting Trump isn't 65+ and instead 45-64 throws me off though. We could be dealing with the large majority of that group for decades to come.

Another L for the NRSC in Montana.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/02/tim-fox-jon-tester-montana-senate-2018-race-239075

Montana Attorney General Tim Fox, a Republican, has decided not to run for Senate against Democratic Sen. Jon Tester in 2018, according to two GOP sources with knowledge of the decision.

Fox is the second high-profile potential challenger to opt against a bid, following Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke's decision in December to join President Donald Trump's Cabinet instead of running for Senate. Republicans had aggressively wooed both candidates, conducting polling for Zinke and recently flying top NRSC officials out to Montana to meet with Fox and other potential candidates.

what a collection of winners we have who are running

Troy Downing, a friend of Zinke's who made a fortune in the self-storage industry and could self-fund a bid, has started a campaign, as has state Sen. Al Olszewski. State Auditor Matt Rosendale is also considering a Senate run, and could potentially pay for his own campaign.

An actual question: Which Romney Dem has gotten a real challenger? Just Sherrod Brown with Josh Mandel (lol).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Blu Ray isn't a thing? Does nobody appreciate good audio and video quality? This place told me FFXV was going to be good too.

Sorry for the late response, but not, blu-ray isn't much of a thing anymore, sadly. A combination of high pricing and digital distribution companies eating its lunch has nearly killed the market. Wish that wasn't the case, since I'd be getting more hours at work, but alas.

KingK

The fact that the group most consistently supporting Trump isn't 65+ and instead 45-64 throws me off though. We could be dealing with the large majority of that group for decades to come.
Yeah, that's the Reagan Youth still fucking over the country as they age.

But millennials are a really big group, IIRC. It's why I'm glad that it looks like voting laws (making it easier, mail-in ballots, automatic registration, etc.) are a top priority for the party. We need to get millennials to register and become consistent voters ASAP to stop the bleeding and then reverse it. Democrats cannot consistently win power without that. It's also why the dinosaurs leading the party should make way for new, young faces, and why others on the left should cut back on the needless, demeaning condescension directed at millennials.

Zukkoyaki

An actual question: Which Romney Dem has gotten a real challenger? Just Sherrod Brown with Josh Mandel (lol).

Claire is done if Carl Edwards actually runs but I think those rumors amounted to a load of crap.

Other than that I really haven't heard anything significant about who will be challenging her. I think she may just hang on due to the potential of a blue wave election regardless.

On this side of the pond, it just looks like all the British parties are led by acharismatic duds with either no clue on policy or ties to human anchors like Farange and Trump.

Trump Campaign paid $150,000 to the Daily Caller for email blasts. http://observer.com/2017/06/trump-tucker-carlson-daily-caller/

M24uddA.gif

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/870755480846651392

BREAKING: Special counsel's Trump campaign investigation includes Manafort case, may expand to include Attorney General Sessions.

Good. Dude still signed off on Comey's firing.

What are some realistic goals for the democrats if they're able to win back the white house and congress? Can a republican controlled senate just block every bill they try to pass?

chadskin

Comey testimony spoiler alert
Specifically, according to sources familiar with the matter, at no point in the weeks and months before Comey's termination did Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein or Attorney General Sessions tell Comey they were uneasy about his leadership or upset over what Rosenstein later called Comey’s "mistaken" decision to announce the results of the FBI investigation into Hillary Clinton's private email server last year.

The failure to flag any such concerns to Comey before terminating him is part of what makes the former FBI director feel so blindsided. It's also part of the story he's planning to tell lawmakers next week when -- barring a last-minute schedule change -- he testifies publicly for the first time about his axing, and about alleged collusion between Trump associates and elements of the Russian government to influence last year's presidential election.

As one source put it: He’s "angry," and he wants the public to understand why.
He's expected to echo remarks made last week from former CIA Director John Brennan, who told lawmakers he was "worried" after the U.S. intelligence committee discovered "a number of" contacts between Trump associates and Russian operatives.

Sources familiar with Comey's thinking said he's also ready to discuss whether he felt pressure from Trump or other administration officials to curtail the FBI's probe of alleged ties between the Russian government and members of Trump’s circle.

In particular, Comey is preparing to answer questions over memos he drafted detailing some of his conversations with Trump.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/doj-told-comey-concerns-axing-now-angry-sources/story?id=47798749

What are some realistic goals for the democrats if they're able to win back the white house and congress? Can a republican controlled senate just block every bill they try to pass?

yes, which is why:

1) We have to do a little better with white voters (esp WWC voters) who are more overrepresented in the Senate.

2) minimize any losses in 2018 (ideally, we lose no seats, gain NV/AZ), and then win bigly in 2020. Which:

2020_Senate_election_map.png

More offense than defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom