• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Y2Kev said:
Let's take predictions on what stunt McCain will pull this week.

Calling out the media for its unfair portrayal of Sarah Palin after the debates as "one big pile of dumb," citing sexism.

Trying to hold a "Main Street Town Hall," where he will unveil his "Change the Vote" initiative to sign up new voters.

Temporarily suspends campaign to personally go to Afghanistan and hunt for Osama Bin Laden. Ends up returning after Sarah Palin admits she has no idea where McCain is, despite map drawn on palm of her hand.

Jak140

StoOgE said:
Doesnt make Drudge any less of a POS though.

He posted an intentionally misleading headline trying to create a controversy to distract from his parties implosion.

What else is new? :lol

Y2Kev said:
Let's take predictions on what stunt McCain will pull this week.

"my friends, i've decided to forego the Nov. 4th election and accept the United States presidency."

Tucker Bounds responding to inflamed pundits: "Yes, President McCain did subvert democracy. Some liberals would call this tyrannical, but others would call him a maverick."

StoOgE said:
Doesnt make Drudge any less of a POS though.

He posted an intentionally misleading headline trying to create a controversy to distract from his parties implosion.
bububu the The Huffington Post is a left-leaning website, therefore both websites are equal, and both sides are just as bad!

Jirotrom

RapeApe said:
putinrearshisheadnz7.jpg
:lol :lol :lol

TDG

Banned
I read a report in the local paper about a next-door suburb to my suburb (of Columbus) where over 100 Obama signs have been reported stolen. Not cool.

Then again, considering I ordered my yard sign over 2 weeks ago and it still hasn't even shipped, I'm starting to understand why someone might have the urge to steal someone's sign.

Tyrone Slothrop said:
"my friends, i've decided to forego the Nov. 4th election and accept the United States presidency."

Tucker Bounds responding to inflamed pundits: "Yes, President McCain did subvert democracy. Some liberals would call this tyrannical, but others would call him a maverick."

Ok, that was funny.

Tyrone Slothrop said:

That would be awesome.

Rhindle

Another interesting bit:

LA Times said:
McCain last week abruptly announced he would suspend his campaign, skip the debate and return to Washington to help with negotiations over a bailout package on Capitol Hill. A day later, after being accused of disrupting the delicate talks, McCain reversed course and flew to Mississippi for the debate.

The maneuver was view unfavorably by 46% of debate watchers, who said they believed McCain was "playing politics"; 38% said McCain was "acting for the good of the country."

"It just seemed like there was an element of self-serving politics," said Dan Wiethorn, a 49-year-old Bloomfield Hills, Mich., resident who described McCain's behavior as "a little flaky."
That's a closer margin than I would have expected, given the slant of the media coverage.

But it's still a wider gap than the relative polling numbers, so the stunt did at least some damage to his standing.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
TDG said:
I read a report in the local paper about a next-door suburb to my suburb (of Columbus) where over 100 Obama signs have been reported stolen. Not cool.

Then again, considering I ordered my yard sign over 2 weeks ago and it still hasn't even shipped, I'm starting to understand why someone might have the urge to steal someone's sign.

local news here in south florida reported the same.. they interviewed a bunch of people who this happened to.. they have reports about it happening all over here.. there heard a rumor that it's people associated with mccain's campaign offices that are doing this.. so they interviewed a guy from one of the offices.. he basically said the same thing is happening with mccain supporters.. but there have been no other claims to that effect.. quite childish if you ask me..

Tamanon said:
That second figure is definitely the more important one I'd say from past presidential debates.:lol And that's a huge spread.
"Looking presidential" is a vague term that generally means not being overly dickish. By this measure Mccain will have a hard time looking presidential in these debates.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Breaking News: Boehner says Republican leaders support bailout plan and want House Republicans to support it too

From Reuters. No articles.

OK, so I decided to tune in to FOX News to check out the new Huckabee show, and what did I see....

*drumroll*

....Huckabee discussing Reverend Wright with Elizabeth Hasselback from the View.

They're getting desperate.

Rhindle said:
But it's still a wider gap than the relative polling numbers, so the stunt did at least some damage to his standing.

True. It can best be described as a stunt that didn't work. Seems like the McCain camp figured it would magically tie things up or prevent any huge losses from the debate. Failed on both accounts.

The question now becomes: what can he do now. Eventually the polls will fall back to the normal "Obama narrow lead" territory, but in the meantime I wonder what his plan is. The news on monday will simply be regurgitating the debate coverage, this time with more people watching. Then on Thursday there's the potential VP slaughter, leading right into another weekend of bad coverage/news/polls for McCain.

Frank the Great said:
OK, so I decided to tune in to FOX News to check out the new Huckabee show, and what did I see....

*drumroll*

....Huckabee discussing Reverend Wright with Elizabeth Hasselback from the View.

Perhaps some voters didn't think this was covered enough during the primaries. It's an oldie, but a goodie.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Developing Story: Republican Rep. Blunt says expects "substantial support" from House Republicans for new rescue plan

Looks like it will pass tomorrow.

Frank the Great said:

*drumroll*

Did they consult Hannity on the subject?!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Steve Youngblood said:
Perhaps some voters didn't think this was covered enough during the primaries. It's an oldie, but a goodie.

You sir are hilarious :D

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Frank the Great said:

*drumroll*

Wright was played the fuck out. I don't think people even care anymore so it is very easy to see that they are beyond desperate.

Frank the Great said:

*drumroll*

I asked before and didn't get an answer but, what did they say? i seem to keep missing this segment.

Cheebs

PhoenixDark said:
True. It can best be described as a stunt that didn't work. Seems like the McCain camp figured it would magically tie things up or prevent any huge losses from the debate. Failed on both accounts.

The question now becomes: what can he do now. Eventually the polls will fall back to the normal "Obama narrow lead" territory, but in the meantime I wonder what his plan is. The news on monday will simply be regurgitating the debate coverage, this time with more people watching. Then on Thursday there's the potential VP slaughter, leading right into another weekend of bad coverage/news/polls for McCain.
It's getting to the point where well, there is only 4 or so weeks left. He is running out of time to really change up things. How many stunts can he pull off in that time? Not many.

ryutaro's mama said:
So is the Keating 5 membership, but I digress.
Bah. Keating 5 isn't sexy enough. Sure, maybe some liberals out there might argue that it's more substantive, and perhaps more relevant to current events once you understand it. But that doesn't put asses in the seats like rolling soundbites ad nauseam of a fiery black man saying "God damn America!"

Keating 5? Get out of here with that crap.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Cheebs said:
It's getting to the point where well, there is only 4 or so weeks left. He is running out of time to really change up things. How many stunts can he pull off in that time? Not many.

Biden is going to thrash McCain and not really engage with Palin. I would imagine that all of his questions and interactions with her will be "Why does John McCain feel this way and Why would he do that?" Ask her about his policies and since she won't know them all, she'll come off as canned and programmer. That is how you go after her. Make her the faulty proxy.

ronito said:
oh Palin will be at the debate. Make no mistake. She'll be there. She'll be there with an ear piece or a suspicious lump in her coat back.
If she wears her hair down, I would believe she's wearing one.

Rhindle

Cheebs said:
All it takes is one really good one, preferably just a couple of days before election day.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Incognito said:
Can't believe I haven't seen this flickr photostream account yet.

Here's a picture of Obama before Friday's debate:

http://i35.tinypic.com/2n806eb.jpg[IMG]

[URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/barackobamadotcom/sets/72157607533135519/"]Debate set[/URL]

[URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/barackobamadotcom/"]Rest of the nearly 40,000 uploads[/URL][/QUOTE]

hmm I wonder what he is thinking.

Cheebs said:

If he can pull off a debate victory, say in the town hall one, and maybe start hammering the Wright issue who knows. I doubt Wright is going to offer up much juice now, thanks to Hannity beating it into the group months ago.

I think Palin could surprise us but lets say she delivers a performance similar to the Couric disaster (likely). How many presidential campaigns start October off with such a (potentially) shitty event?

Then on October 15th there's the economy debate; it's not like the economy is going to get better between now and then, so we can probably chalk this up as another McCain loss.

So yea, he doesn't have a lot of time to shake shit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom