• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RNC suspending GOP Feb '16 debate with NBC (Because lol CNBC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OuterLimits

Fox Business and Fox News are propaganda channels that occasionally reports news. Albeit always with an agenda and aimed toward clear, agreed upon political goals.

MSNBC is a left leaning news organization that often gives liberal voices with an agenda prime air time.

NBC, CNBC are NOT MSNBC. CNBC in fact is overall a fairly conservative organization that is very Wall Street influenced. NBC news is a fairly mainstream news organization like ABC and CBS. They are not equivalent. They aren't even really connected other then name and occasional schedule cohesion with things like the Olympics.

I thought it was fascinating last night when Anderson Cooper and David Gergen said it was wrong to not consider Fox News part of the mainstream.

I don't disagree with the RNC. Mods were trash, IMO. The driving force for debates is to learn about the candidates and their "plans" (lol) - but when you've got mods asking one candidate to talk trash about another - that's BS. That needs to get called on, no matter what you think of the candidates. We can talk all day about how childish the candidates are being but they have valid criticism here, IMO. I wouldn't want that behavior for my Democratic candidates so I'm extending that same hand to the Republicans. Might not like them but I can't disagree here.

Jonm1010

Banned
those are softball questions, have a look outside the US to see the (uncomfortably difficult) questions real politicians have to answer instead of this circus bullshit

that said and specifically about trump: I can see that respectable journalists have a hard time taking someone like him seriously, trump's policies have about as much legitimacy as those of the bearded guy with the boot on his head I see during every presidential campaign lineup

the palin comparisons aren't too far off the mark, caricatures of real people that you wouldn't actually want in a position of authority or responsibility propped up by big money behind them

You don't even have to look outside America, just the last Democratic debate.

The GOP continues to get it easy because of the fear our media has of what the GOP is gonna already do anyways which is cry about bias if they are too tough. Which CNBC just showed. They weren't even that tough or overall even that good but when they did start pushing they got attacked.

I'm all for hard questions to keep the candidates on their toes.

But please, the moderation was contrived nonsense to try and turn it into some kind of cage match that would be entertaining as opposed to informative. Chris Christie's "what the fuck are you talking about moment" when Bush was asked about fantasy football was apt.

A more sensible debate would be easier with less candidates but let's not pretend the moderators did a good job or ignore the fact they didn't because "lol republicans".

In my lifetime I have not seen a well moderated meaningful presidential debate. In my view none of them I have seen are truly debates because there is no serious cross-examination. Cross-ex is where debate truly happens in my experience. I realize a meaningful debate isnt what brings ratings but that's a sad state of affairs and says more about the American people than anything. I don't get the impression that many people actually care about ideas. Personality is the main factor. Brief opening statements, rebuttals, rebuttals cross-ex and brief closing statements would actually bring a debate to life. Obviously that would be difficult with so many candidates in the primary. But really the debates should be grounded to a specific issue at a time and go from there.

Jonm1010

Banned
I thought it was fascinating last night when Anderson Cooper and David Gergen said it was wrong to not consider Fox News part of the mainstream.

What was the context of that? They certainly are mainstream in the sense that they are a very popular network that gets a large share of the political and current events viewer pie.

Bodacious

Banned

But please, the moderation was contrived nonsense to try and turn it into some kind of cage match that would be entertaining as opposed to informative. Chris Christie's "what the fuck are you talking about moment" when Bush was asked about fantasy football was apt.

A more sensible debate would be easier with less candidates but let's not pretend the moderators did a good job or ignore the fact they didn't because "lol republicans".

The question that set Cruz off was bullshit too. Instead of asking him to explain why he opposed the budget agreement, the question presupposed the budget agreement to be a wonderful accomplishment, then asked Cruz if he was a piece of shit for not agreeing.

etZByDp.jpg

OuterLimits

Trump, Cruz, Carson, Bush and Christie all got pushed to answer substantive questions and they pretty much all gave BS answers or even flat out lied in Carson's case. When they would get further pressed and called on their bullshit they just called bias or attacked the moderators and played to the crowd.

They didn't really answer the questions.

Which question did Carson lie on? I wouldn't be surprised, he does flip his positions maybe more than Hillary. Are you referring to his involvement with that company?

Christie's "moment" was pandering to the base because he saw it played well with Cruz and Rubio, the former who started the "let's slam the moderators" deflection and the latter who just jumped on the bandwagon. Christie's the same guy in the debate who spun everything into "that bitch Hillary!!" and his little diet racist rant about how Obama's "disrespecting police officers". He's not at all interested in any kind of substantial debate because he doesn't engage in one even when he has the chance.

Fuuuuck. The one debate I miss and it's where shit hit the fan apparently. I'm fine with this though since CNBC seems to be the only host who doesn't want to offer a free stream, so it's not like i'd be able to watch it live anyways.

Jonm1010

Banned
Which question did Carson lie on? I wouldn't be surprised, he does flip his positions maybe more than Hillary. Are you referring to his involvement with that company?

That primarily but also when CNBC laid out how his numbers were wrong and he just kept saying the facts back him up. Not a lie in the classical sense but a clear intentional deception because he knows he doesn't have an answer so is trying to shut down the questioning.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
people are actually defending CNBC there?

cmon man, as shitty and batshit the GOP field is, these where some of the worst questions(or bad formulation of questions) i've heard in a debate in a long time.

There where some good questions and follow ups, but some of these leading questions where straight juvenile and pure instigation.

popeutlal

Good, the CNBC people wanted a comedy reality tv show instead of an actual debate.

There is a 12/15 republican debate on CNN, hopefully they'll unleash Anderson Cooper on these characters.

RDreamer

cmon man, as shitty and batshit the GOP field is, these where some of the worst questions(or bad formulation of questions) i've heard in a debate in a long time.

There where some good questions and follow ups, but some of these leading questions where straight juvenile and pure instigation.

Not necessarily defending CNBC, but think it's ridiculous the party that wants to get tough on everyone is taking its ball and going home like a bunch of whiny babies. They got away with straight up lies and are now calling the network that helped create the tea party part of the liberal media. They can fuck right off in my opinion.

Most of us have said the exact same thing.

The difference is that grown men shouldn't be having meltdowns on stage and refusing to answer questions because of it.

However, Cruz smelt blood in the water, and the other sharks joined in. Add an audience that's sympathetic, and you have a recipe for a shit stew that people actually want to eat.

I'm not absolving CNBC of responsibility, but the candidates were no better. It's one of the few times where saying "Everybody sucks" is appropriate.

Jonm1010

Banned
Good, the CNBC people wanted a comedy reality tv show instead of an actual debate.

There is a 12/15 republican debate on CNN, hopefully they'll unleash Anderson Cooper on these characters.

I honestly will be a bit pissed if they don't. CNN though is like the kid that tries to please everyone but just ends up pissing people off a lot. So they probably will throw some Wolf Blitzer at them or something.

Cruz's attack on the blamescream screedia was so effective that not only did it derail the rest of the CNBC debate, it preemptively destroyed a future debate.

None of the candidates will ever have to answer a question again.

OuterLimits

What was the context of that? They certainly are mainstream in the sense that they are a very popular network that gets a large share of the political and current events viewer pie.

They were referring to the debate and how stuff like last night make it easy to attack the media. Gergen brought up Fox News and Cooper commented that it is "laughable" that some don't consider Fox News part of mainstream. He was referring to ratings though. Gergen argued that much of the mainstream print media leans to the left while talk radio is on the right. Most journalists self identify as liberal.

Cooper also said many liberals attacked him for being conservative at Dem debate.

FyreWulff

Fox News is larger than most other networks. Why would they NOT be mainstream?

They like to pretend they're not, but they're frikkin huge.

OuterLimits

That primarily but also when CNBC laid out how his numbers were wrong and he just kept saying the facts back him up. Not a lie in the classical sense but a clear intentional deception because he knows he doesn't have an answer so is trying to shut down the questioning.

He also flipped on ethanol subsidies. I wonder how that will play in Iowa.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Most of them actually answered the questions. Including Trump with the comic book and Huckabee on if Trump has moral authority. Cruz did avoid a legit question to slam the moderators though. He did answer it later I believe.

You can ask tough questions without being ridiculous. Btw this was supposed to be an economic debate. How is asking Huckabee about moral authority related?

I'm not saying I condone what CNBC did, I just hate that phrase. It's very existence reminds the world of the buffoon the RNC put on the ticket in 2008.

It's why Rubio whining about the "mainstream media" makes no sense. Fox News is the most watched 24hr cable news channel by far. If any one of them is mainstream, it's Fox News. But a lot of their die hard viewers like to think of themselves as a minority to feed their persecution complex, so they like to think they're a small-time movement fighting against the Big Bad Liberal Media Elite Sitting in Their Ivory Towers.

I really don't agree with Cooper's assessment that it's not mainstream. It absolutely is.

OuterLimits

Some like to argue Fox News isn't mainstream because of conservative bias. Gergen seemed to be arguing that since much of print media and some networks are left leaning, you can't say Fox News is not mainstream merely by leaning right since they also serve a huge demographic of the country. That is what I took from the conversation.

Of course to the Republican candidates, any question about the economy is a gotcha question because you they can't explain whatever plan they have without mentioning how it will fuck over anyone not making 6 figures.

Eh, while almost every debate with 10+ people is going to be borderline unwatchable, the CNBC one was especially so because the moderators had some ridiculous questions and just did a terrible job actually moderating. Its one thing when the candidates are going back and forth with each other but too often you had the moderators blathering over the candidates and cutting them off and randomly jumping to completely bizarre topics.

It was just a shit show from a purely viewing experience. Granted, that's more or less the case in any of these debates when you have this many people on stage but the moderators in the CNBC debate did a terrible job moderating. If they want to have a back and forth with a given candidate, get them in a one on one interview, not a debate with a bunch of other people on stage.

params7

Banned
To be fair, while they did ask some fair questions, they also sent many loaded ones with personal insults, specially towards Trump. Moderators should at least try to be professional, independent of the candidate.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dear NBC: you didn't kill Trump dead enough, so we refuse to work with you.

Cyan

Banned
The debate was really bad, but it's still kind of hilarious they're trying to turn this into a "librul media" thing. The debate was bad not because of some kind of bias (this was CNBC for crying out loud!), but because the moderators utterly failed to control it and because they tried too hard for drama with dumb questions.

Sagroth

My question is(as usual): how do these optics affect the election going forward? Will this have impact on the general election next year somehow? Does this in any way increase the chances of a Republican president?

OuterLimits

My question is(as usual): how do these optics affect the election going forward? Will this have impact on the general election next year somehow? Does this in any way increase the chances of a Republican president?

No. People won't remember it come the general. Unless somehow Harwood hosts a general debate which won't happen.

lednerg

It gives Democrats an easy talking point about the GOP candidates being unfit to handle tough situations.

Nobody will remember this going into the general because

Capture.jpg

and even if Democrats go after the nominee for this, they will just deflect and blame someone else.

RDreamer

I like how CNBC is getting hammered and yet it was Fox News that blatantly tried to take down some of the candidates... Some of their first questions just pointed out Trump could betray the party and that Carson was a dingbat on foreign policy. Meanwhile they lobbed softballs at Jeb.

dabig2

I like how CNBC is getting hammered and yet it was Fox News that blatantly tried to take down some of the candidates... Some of their first questions just pointed out Trump could betray the party and that Carson was a dingbat on foreign policy. Meanwhile they lobbed softballs at Jeb.

Yeah. It's almost amazing how fast revisionist history worked here.

Your job at President isn't going to be fun or fair, either. You're going to get loaded questions and those looking to give a rough time. Rather than moan and whine, you just need to act like an adult.

If a question seems unfair, rephrase the question.

When CNN asked the Dems, "Do Black lives matter or do all lives matter", I was thinking, "what a terrible way to phrase a question of such importance".

Black lives matter, but saying "black lives matter" doesn't mean that other lives don't matter. But the question was sort of being presented as a choice rather than actually debating the merit of the movement.

If you don't like the way you're being asked the question, clarify the flawed nature of the question and state your opinion.

The Republican bubble is scary though. They are thinking that CNBC is some lefty loony network when they more typically align with big business Republican interests.
Ted Cruz can't handle questions about the debt ceiling that don't present his cause as noble.

The media doesn't have to play nice. But the ole "liberal media is out to get us!" cry is in full force. The bubble in which they live is remarkable.

bomma_man

"I would stand up to that bully putin! Unlike that soft Muslim communist atheist nig... Obama!"

*five minutes later*

"Stop bulling me wahhhhh 😭😭😭😭😭 liebrul media 😖😖😖"

*takes ball and goes home*

The party of personal responsibility eh.

Miletius

The Republican establishment wanted Jeb to look good. That's their main problem with the debate. Jeb basically imploded on stage, thus ruining the establishment's best shot at getting him nominated. Now they are going to have to look towards Rubio as their new savior.

They could give less of a shit about Cruz and Trump looking bad. They want them to lose because Cruz and Trump are unelectable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom