• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of toothless Hill-Billys (75,000 in Portland for OBAMA post #3599)

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
icarus-daedelus said:
The place evolution passed by, amirite?

EDIT: I dunno Thunder Monkey, it's pretty much now or never. If the Repubs couldn't hold on to a stalwart (R) seat in Mississippi of all places, who knows what'll happen?

I'm thinking the Republican party will either move toward the center or die off completely. The last eight years have pretty much destroyed them. It'll be interesting going forward, regardless of the outcome.

Obama is trailing McCain by 19 points in the latest polls. And historically:

ipmuxc.png

Sharp

icarus-daedelus said:
Not '64, but '63. Kennedy's assassination rallied the public around Johnson.
Ah, okay.

Interesting thing I learned while looking at the information about lopsided elections...
Wikipedia said:
The United States presidential election of 1920 was dominated by the aftermath of World War I and the hostile reaction to Woodrow Wilson, the Democratic president. The wartime boom had collapsed. Politicians were arguing over peace treaties and the question of America's entry into the League of Nations. Overseas there were wars and revolutions; at home, 1919 was marked by major strikes in meatpacking and steel, and large race riots in Chicago and other cities. Terrorist attacks on Wall Street produced fears of radicals and terrorists.

Outgoing President Wilson was increasingly unpopular, and as an invalid could no longer speak on his own behalf. The economy was in a recession, the public was weary of war and reform, the Irish Catholic and German communities were outraged at his policies, and his sponsorship of the League of Nations produced an isolationist reaction.

Former President Theodore Roosevelt was the frontrunner for the Republican nomination, but his health had collapsed in 1918 and he died in January 1919, leaving no obvious heir to his Progressive legacy.

Both major parties turned to dark horse candidates from the elector-rich state of Ohio. The Democrats nominated newspaper publisher and Governor James M. Cox to take on Senator Warren G. Harding. Calling for "normalcy", Harding essentially campaigned against Wilson, and, with an almost 4-to-1 spending advantage, beat Cox in a landslide, and remains the largest popular-vote percentage margin (26.2%), 60.3% to 34.1%, since the election of 1820.
Link
It seems like at times like this there's generally a pretty radical party shift. It makes me surprised, really, that McCain is polling as well as he is.

GhaleonEB

Sharp said:
Ah, okay.

Interesting thing I learned while looking at the information about lopsided elections...

Link
It seems like at times like this there's generally a pretty radical party shift. It makes me surprised, really, that McCain is polling as well as he is.
I think the polls will settle out considerably once the primary is over. That Obama polls ahead by ~7 points right now is pretty encouraging.

so_awes said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK0d8ENS__c
old?

Matthews with Keven James talking about Bush's comments comparing Obama to Nazi appeasers. James compared Obama to Chamerlain, shouting "He's an appeaser!". Matthews pressed James at least 19 times over five minutes to simply explain what Chamberlain had done in 1938 and 1939 to make him an “appeaser.” James could only shout his talking point over and over, prompting Matthews to threaten to end the interview...

this Keven James ass is a perfect example of how delusional, irrational and crazy most right wingers are.
Just watched that. That was AWESOME. That whole time, I was thinking "Czechoslovakia, you dickwad!" and he kept saying "appease" "empower" and "legitimise" over and over like it was going to help.

Ownage like that really warms the heart.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Just watched that. That was AWESOME. That whole time, I was thinking "Czechoslovakia, you dickwad!" and he kept saying "appease" "empower" and "legitimise" over and over like it was going to help.

Ownage like that really warms the heart.
Hmm... wasn't that just the Sudetenland or the rest of the country after the agreement... *checks* ...yup, the rest wasn't until later.

Hitokage said:
Hmm... wasn't that just the Sudetenland or the rest of the country after the agreement... *checks* ...yup, the rest wasn't until later.
That's right, the Sudetenland - that vaguely horseshoe shaped growth in the North East of what was then Czechoslovakia. Then came that staged Polish attack on that radio station* and the shit, as they say, hit the fan.

* I may be wrong about the details of that incident. It has been several years and I'd rather not look up Wikipedia when trying to prove how smart I are^.

^ Badum Bish! Thank you, thank you. I'm here all week.

Triumph

Banned
Mandark said:
Yeah, there have been a bunch of "I'd vote for McCain" or "I wouldn't vote" posts in the big primary threads.

Not everyone or even a majority, and you shouldn't generalize blah blah, but a lot.
I would never vote for McCain, no matter who was the nominee on the Dem side.

Now, Nader on the hand...

Triumph

Banned
Gig said:
Are you sure? What if it was the Elf or Gravel?
Dude, Kucinich was my first choice amongst the candidates. And I gave $20 to old man Gravel because he was like Mr. Wilson from Dennis the Menace in candidate form. "Get off my lawn, you young Senators!"

Sharp said:
Ah, okay.

Link

You're overlooking one very important thing: old people like to vote more than anyone else, and they're afraid of change.

Black guy/woman in white house=drastic change for most old people.

Old white guy=normalcy.

Even if Obama wins the nomination for dem. party, I'm not optimistic he'll win. The Democratic candidates are still too progressive for the majority of America. The same kind of idiots who voted for Bush a second term because they thought "he should finish what he started" will vote against the democratic candidate for fear of drastic change under the guise of "He would've been assassinated anyway" or something stupid like that.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Triumph said:
Dude, Kucinich was my first choice amongst the candidates. And I gave $20 to old man Gravel because he was like Mr. Wilson from Dennis the Menace in candidate form. "Get off my lawn, you young Senators!"

Wait, you actually gave money to that crazy old man? :lol

Zaptruder

Banned
JzeroT1437 said:
You're overlooking one very important thing: old people like to vote more than anyone else, and they're afraid of change.

Black guy/woman in white house=drastic change for most old people.

Old white guy=normalcy.

Even if Obama wins the nomination for dem. party, I'm not optimistic he'll win. The Democratic candidates are still too progressive for the majority of America. The same kind of idiots who voted for Bush a second term because they thought "he should finish what he started" will vote against the democratic candidate for fear of drastic change under the guise of "He would've been assassinated anyway" or something stupid like that.

It sounds like you too, are afraid of change.

Change is the whole message behind his campaign. The change that you can bring about. By voting, and usurping the older, more set in their way generation.

Triumph

Banned
Also, CLINTON FUCKING WON THE SD GAME YESTERDAY! WTF is this shit? She got 2 to 1 for Barack. It must be noted that he DID get two from MI, but as of now they don't count.

Triumph said:
:lol Perfect comparison.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Triumph said:
Also, CLINTON FUCKING WON THE SD GAME YESTERDAY! WTF is this shit? She got 2 to 1 for Barack. It must be noted that he DID get two from MI, but as of now they don't count.
That's like getting upset that the other team managed a field goal when the game was already 64-6.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hitokage said:
That's like getting upset that the other team managed a field goal when the game was already 64-6.

and the fieldgoal happened during warm ups at half time.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
typhonsentra said:
If 36% of Mississippi is black, I don't see how he could lose by that big of a margin.

he did EXTREMELY poorly amongst whites is good ole Mississippi. Having gone there to gamble with my cousin (lives in Knoxville, about halfway for the two of us to meet there)... it is a very racist state in general. Obviously there would be whites who vote for Obama, but I think alot of white dems will vote for McCain there based on race alone. Its sad, but there are parts of the country that just have not caught up to the rest of the country.

KRS7

Kentucky is going to suck.

Skirting Appalachia
New York Times said:
As Hillary Clinton's rout in West Virginia underscores, Appalachia is not Obama country. Of 410 counties in the region, which stretches from New York to Mississippi, Barack Obama has won only 48 (12 percent) so far. Of the counties he has lost, nearly 80 percent have been by a margin of more than 2 to 1. The region is whiter, poorer, older, more rural and less educated than the rest of the country, and seems to be voting like a bloc.

17blow.600.gif

e: Nice quadruple post there StoOgE. That takes talent.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I just watched that hardball video.

God, what a fucking douchebag. Does he have a problem controlling the volume of his voice? He would NOT shut up.

Cheebs

wtf is going on. Rasmussen had a 9 point lead for Obama over Clinton 2 days ago. This morning? It's down to a 2 point lead. One would assume he'd be pulling away.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Miroku said:
Probably where Bush is pulling the vast majority of his remaining positive approval rating from too.

Have there been any recent polls that show approval rating by state?

Cheebs

I just found out apparently Kentucky is likely to have a higher dem turnout than Oregon based on 2004 trendlines...and Obama is behind in WV like numbers there ugh. I just want this damn thing done with.

Stridone

Banned
Cheebs said:
wtf is going on. Rasmussen had a 9 point lead for Obama over Clinton 2 days ago. This morning? It's down to a 2 point lead. One would assume he'd be pulling away.

Who cares. Obama's the nominee. Concentrating on the Democratic primary is purely for entertainment purposes.

KRS7

Cheebs said:

I'm assuming it is from a media coronation backlash. Whether deserved or not. I don't think it could be from the McCain-Bush-Obama drama as Obama looks to be the winner in that dispute. And West Virginia is too long ago. He may drop in today's gallup as well, he fell two points yesterday.

Cheebs

KRS7 said:
I'm assuming it is from a media coronation backlash. Whether deserved or not. I don't think it could be from the McCain-Bush-Obama drama as Obama looks to be the winner in that dispute. And West Virginia is too long ago. He may drop in today's gallup as well, he fell two points yesterday.
It's so weird though. The closer Obama gets to the nomination the faller he drops in primary polls.

He polled best against Hillary after he "lost" texas and ohio! :lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
JzeroT1437 said:
The same kind of idiots who voted for Bush a second term because they thought "he should finish what he started" will vote against the democratic candidate for fear of drastic change under the guise of "He would've been assassinated anyway" or something stupid like that.

Mike Huckabee's joke about Barack Obama misfires with NRA crowd

Huckabee, a Republican and former Arkansas governor, was addressing the gun group's convention in Louisville, Ky., when a loud crash was heard off stage.

"That was Barack Obama," Huckabee ad-libbed. "He just tripped off a chair.... He's getting ready to speak, and somebody aimed a gun at him and he, he dove for the floor."

Most in the audience went silent. A video picks up some muttering and muted laughter following the crude quip about the Democrats' likely nominee.

Classy.

Obama Demanding Investigation over VA Email

From the DailyKos:
http://dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/5/16/182612/404/501/517154
Senator Barack Obama involved himself in the VA email situation today by sending a letter to VA Secretary James Peake demanding an investigation into whether or not the Department of Veterans Affairs is under-diagnosing combat-related PTSD as a cost-cutting measure. Obama then requested hearings on the matter and, within hours, those requests were granted by the chairmen of the House and Senate Veterans Affairs Committees.
I am very proud that Obama is taking on this issue. Veterans are taking their lives everyday because of PTSD and the VA decides to "support the troops" by refusing to diagnose them with PTSD and give them the treatment they need and deserve. It is absolutely disgusting.

PHOTOS: BARACK OBAMA in Sioux Falls, S.D.

capt.3b68eb960a954a7dbd0580ec8523cc7c.obama_2008_sdjh123.jpg

Democratic presidential hopeful, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., leans against the wall while waiting backstage before a rally in Sioux Falls, S.D., Friday, May 16, 2008. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

capt.d3d6b8f450d24c29b9b9d7f4d1d90b36.obama_2008_sdjh122.jpg

Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., waits backstage before a rally in Sioux Falls, S.D., Friday, May 16, 2008. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

capt.d2a361a90d5647ab938c6e13186efe2a.obama_2008_sdjh126.jpg

Democratic presidential hopeful, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., left, and his national trip director Marvin Nicholson (John Kerry's former body man), foreground, wait backstage before a rally in Sioux Falls, S.D., Friday, May 16, 2008.
(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

capt.d74da739a0df4f9e92f3e11006ad1db0.obama_2008_sdjh132.jpg

Democratic presidential hopeful, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., speaks at a rally in Sioux Falls, S.D., Friday, May 16, 2008. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

capt.1300ebf0ae6442549c66aad1f9193cf0.obama_2008_sdjh129.jpg

Democratic presidential hopeful, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., left, waves after speaking at a rally in Sioux Falls, S.D., Friday, May 16, 2008. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

capt.d6968c10f76f46ea8e4b06a84aa9ec59.obama_2008_sdjh128.jpg

John Zephier, of the Sioux Tribe, listens during a rally for Democratic presidential hopeful, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., in Sioux Falls, S.D., Friday, May 16, 2008. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

Zaptruder said:
It sounds like you too, are afraid of change.

Change is the whole message behind his campaign. The change that you can bring about. By voting, and usurping the older, more set in their way generation.

No. I voted for him and am voting for him in the presidential election. I'm just being rational about how elections in this country conventionally go.

Obama, back to Iowa

080104-obama-victory-hmed-1245a.hmedium.jpg

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0508/Obama_back_to_Iowa.html
The schedule still says 'TBA.' But barring a last-minute change, Senator Obama plans to be in IOWA on Tuesday night when he clinches a majority of available pledged delegates. This is a red state he's hoping to turn blue, so the intended message is that he's getting to work on the general - NOT taking a victory lap. Political Geographer Jonathan Martin says the Hawkeye State appears to be Obama's BEST chance to flip a state that went for President Bush last time. In 2004, Iowa went Bush 50, Kerry 49. In 2000, it went Gore 49, Bush 48, Nader 2.

He wants to be where it all began in a true swing state which went to Bush 50-49 over Kerry and polls currently show Obama leading McCain by 2-3 points.

Zaptruder

Banned
JzeroT1437 said:
No. I voted for him and am voting for him in the presidential election. I'm just being rational about how elections in this country conventionally go.

Yeah, but if you looked at it rationally back in january, people would've called you irraitonal for thinking Barack would get this far. Or hell, even back in 2006 after he made his speech, people were first floating the idea that someone like that would be a pretty good president, you would've been shot down for actually suggesting that he WOULD get this close.

Barack is a surprising man. Let his message of hope wash away your fears!

Plus if you look at it rationally, there are many more factors involves then just old people and their turn out. Most of which point towards an Obama victory.

Deus Ex Machina said:
Obama Demanding Investigation over VA Email

From the DailyKos:
http://dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/5/16/182612/404/501/517154

I am very proud that Obama is taking on this issue. Veterans are taking their lives everyday because of PTSD and the VA decides to "support the troops" by refusing to diagnose them with PTSD and give them the treatment they need and deserve. It is absolutely disgusting.

Please let this man be president.

Zaptruder said:
Yeah, but if you looked at it rationally back in january, people would've called you irraitonal for thinking Barack would get this far. Or hell, even back in 2006 after he made his speech, people were first floating the idea that someone like that would be a pretty good president, you would've been shot down for actually suggesting that he WOULD get this close.

Barack is a surprising man. Let his message of hope wash away your fears!

Plus if you look at it rationally, there are many more factors involves then just old people and their turn out. Most of which point towards an Obama victory.
Round 1 to Obama - The headlines say it all:

Obama blasts Bush, McCain over 'attacks' - CNN

Obama takes direct aim at Bush - Cleveland Plain Dealer

Barack Obama blasts back at President Bush, John McCain - Los Angeles Times

Obama links McCain to Bush policies - Philadelphia Inquirer

Obama attacks Bush over "appeasement" remarks - Reuters

Obama hits back over Bush claims - Sydney Morning Herald

Analysis: Obama reacts fast to Bush on diplomacy - AP

Obama lashes McCain, Bush in foreign policy row
- AFP

http://news.search.yahoo.com/news/search?p=obama+bush&c=

What a great way to set the framework.

Tamanon

Banned
At first I thought it was weird that of all people to discuss this, MSNBC has been talking to Pat Buchanan, but the man has a LOT of knowledge of history and has seen most of what he's talking about. Although he does like to say "liberal":lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom