• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of toothless Hill-Billys (75,000 in Portland for OBAMA post #3599)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Incognito said:
So many errors in so little time.

:lol So yeah, he's willing to continue bullshitting and lying to the American people even when he can get called out on it so very easily. I guess if we're banking on stupidity though, like some of the more optimistic people here in this very thread just recently, the non-democrats of the country may lap it up.

Zeed

Banned
Trakdown said:
Can't wait to hear his take on the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Kennedy terribly mishandled the situation! He recklessly tried to talk with the Russians! He should have just gone to war!

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Triumph said:

# birdgal Says:
May 17th, 2008 at 12:22 pm

Carby:

As Madeline Albright says, “There is a special place in hell, for women who do not support other women.”
I hope, they receive the karma that they deserve.,

# birdgal Says:
May 17th, 2008 at 12:24 pm

hallow: karma can be a bitch. He left a woman to die in a car, and after what he has done to Hillary, my compassion meter is very low. I hope, he does recover, so that he can see Hillary Rodham Clinton sworn in as President of The United States Of America.

# carbynew Says:
May 17th, 2008 at 12:27 pm

Obama is losing his core base and the more question come up regarding Obama’s resume as a public servant the more he loses support.

Obama is WEAK and he needs help to even get this far…he can’t even knock out Hillary Clinton in the race because Hillary IS the STRONGER candidate.

My foolish daughter and her friend are trying to convince me to support Obambi if he gets the nominee…and I told her I don’t lower my standards for POTUS and with Obambi I would have to eliminate any standards.

# linfar Says:
May 17th, 2008 at 12:35 pm

Hi all,

Well, for what it is worth, my thought on hearing the news about Kenendy was not sweetness and light.

He has played an ugly role in this primary and he has a lot to answer for in his life.

I am sujrfe B O will now rush to his bedside and hold his hand. what headlines those will be.
# dot48 Says:
May 17th, 2008 at 1:21 pm

He should have taken better care of himself. Packing all that fat around is not healthy. He’s obese, he smokes, he drinks, it’s obvious he rarely exercises. Stroke waiting to happen. Best health care available, able to afford the best dieticians, able to afford great exercise equipment .. but I didn’t see him do anything to try to get healthy.

What a fucked-up place.

Succinct National Journal piece

...McCain's proposal would maximize individual choice in obtaining coverage, even at the cost of reducing risk-sharing. This contrast, which reflects the broader divide between the Democratic emphasis on community and the Republican focus on personal freedom, is the wellspring from which all of the major differences in the candidates' plans flow.

Confused press coverage and McCain's shift to other issues have obscured the magnitude of his proposal. But he may be pushing for greater changes than the Democrats in both the way Americans pay for health insurance and how they buy it--changes that have potentially profound implications for the pooling of risk.

Today, if a company provides its workers with health coverage, it can write off the cost of those premiums as a business expense, just like salaries. But Washington doesn't tax the employee on the value of that benefit. That "exclusion" makes employer-provided coverage tax-free for workers and is a major reason that employers insure 60 percent of Americans. Just 9 percent of Americans purchase insurance as individuals. (The rest rely on government programs or are uninsured.)

America subsidizes employer-provided coverage this way partly because it is administratively efficient, but mostly because it promotes the pooling of risk. By putting young, healthy workers into the same risk pool as colleagues who are older or sicker, employer-based coverage supports cost-sharing: All workers typically pay the same premiums because payments from workers who use less care balance those from workers who require more. There's a life-cycle effect, too: We pay relatively more in premiums for what we get when we're young but relatively less when we're old.

McCain's plan could threaten these arrangements, although how much is uncertain. He would eliminate the tax "exclusion," so that health premiums paid by employers would count as taxable income for workers. But he would replace the current exclusion with a refundable tax credit of $2,500 for individuals and $5,000 for families. For most workers whose employers continued to provide coverage, the initial effect would be a wash: The credit would (at least) offset their tax obligation from counting the employer premium contribution as income. The only change visible to workers whose employers still subsidize coverage might be "accounting on their pay stub," says McCain domestic policy adviser Douglas Holtz-Eakin.

But almost all analysts think that without the economic incentive that the exclusion provides, some employers would drop coverage. The great unknown is how many. Even employers who want to maintain coverage might find it increasingly difficult to do so. Some experts fear that younger workers would take McCain's tax credit and buy inexpensive policies outside work. That could leave employers covering only the oldest and sickest, a change that might drive up premiums to unsustainable levels.

Rest at link.

With a majority of Americans expressing their desire for some form of universal health coverage and premiums rising at the rate of most space shuttles, this "plan" by McCain is yet another reason why I believe that the Democratic party will unify rather quickly while simultaneously sending droves of independents into the Democratic camp.

I'm ready to declare Hillaryis44 the best thing to happen to the primary season. I doubt even FreeRepublic can match the levels of delusion and pure insanity found there. :lol

Mr Jared

minor effort said:
I'm ready to declare Hillaryis44 the best thing to happen to the primary season. I doubt even FreeRepublic can match the levels of delusion and pure insanity found there. :lol

All this reminds me, I haven't seen or heard the name "Hillary Clinton" almost all week in the mainstream press. Crazy stuff.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
# carbynew Says:
May 17th, 2008 at 12:27 pm

Obama is losing his core base and the more question come up regarding Obama’s resume as a public servant the more he loses support.

Obama is WEAK and he needs help to even get this far…he can’t even knock out Hillary Clinton in the race because Hillary IS the STRONGER candidate.

My foolish daughter and her friend are trying to convince me to support Obambi if he gets the nominee…and I told her I don’t lower my standards for POTUS and with Obambi I would have to eliminate any standards.
Then why can't Hillary knock out Obama...?

The cognitive dissonance is astounding.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It just occurred to me the other day... wasn't Clinton supposed to be the candidate of substance, policy, and solutions? Are gas tax holidays all we really have to expect from her?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Hillary still drumming the "I have more popular votes than Barack" shtick.

Hitokage said:
It just occurred to me the other day... wasn't Clinton supposed to be the candidate of substance, policy, and solutions? Are gas tax holidays all we really have to expect from her?

Hillary Clinton is the candidate for everything.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's just amazing to me how she spent all that time touting her experience and substance, then when she advocates a specific policy other than her healthcare plan, it's a plainly dumb idea first floated by certain Republicans who only know how to cut taxes. Furthermore, she does so knowingly against the advice of nearly every economist, not just some of them.

laserbeam

Banned
Hitokage said:
It's just amazing to me how she spent all that time touting her experience and substance, then when she advocates a specific policy other than her healthcare plan, it's a plainly dumb idea first floated by certain Republicans who only know how to cut taxes.

Thats the way all politicians work though. Its all about bullshit answers. All you ever hear from people on both sides is so and so is wrong I have the correct plan. Then utter silence as the supposed plan is never even laid out.

Fact is Politics is all about who can lie the best and bullshit the people for support

laserbeam said:
Thats the way all politicians work though. Its all about bullshit answers. All you ever hear from people on both sides is so and so is wrong I have the correct plan. Then utter silence as the supposed plan is never even laid out.

Fact is Politics is all about who can lie the best and bullshit the people for support

Cynicism is sooooooooooo 4 years ago.

laserbeam

Banned
Star Power said:
Cynicism is sooooooooooo 4 years ago.

Its not Cynicism when its true. All you hear is Hilary has a horrible plan. My Plan is better. Then silence as no plan is presented.

Its all about who can manipulate the voting body the best. Once upon a time Politicians actually laid out what they had planned for their time as President.

Now its all about getting the headline saying so and so is a moron and it works because even people on gaf are like haha that Obama got Bush good. Wheres the talk about stuff that matters like you know what the fuck Obama actually plans to do.

Obviously They need to be flexible and ready to alter plans etc as matters change but how about we have details on what you have in mind. This day and Age Elections are won on who can look smarter and bullshit better rather then who will do a better job and who has plans to fix what they say is wrong

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
laserbeam said:

I actually don't want candidates to have everything planned out before taking office, and I expect politicians to adjust accordingly when the assumptions backing such plans don't pan out. Some things you can only grasp when you're actually in charge and have all the information.

To me, what's more important is how they look at policymaking rather than specific policies. It's why I was impressed with Kerry in spite of his paucity of charisma, and also why I have no reservations ranking Bush among the worst presidents ever.

OH

He gain an extra delegate.

Obama Wins 55% to 45% At the Nevada Party Convention

http://blogs.rgj.com/inside-nevada-politics/2008/05/obama-flips-clintons-nevada-win.html
Obama flips Clinton's Nevada win; captures more national delegates

U.S. Sen. Barack Obama succeeded in driving more supporters to the Nevada state convention than his opponent U.S. Sen. Hillary Clinton, who had won the state in the Jan. 19 caucuses. Obama essentially reversed Clinton's lead from the caucuses, capturing 55 percent of the state delegates to Clinton's 45 percent.

The heavy turnout earned Obama one more delegate to the national convention, than previously expected based on the caucus results.

The final tally: Obama won 14 national delegates and Clinton won 11 national delegates. Under the caucus results, Obama was expected to win 13 national delegates to Clinton's 12. Although Clinton won the caucuses, Obama out-performed her in rural Nevada and Washoe County.

laserbeam said:
Its not Cynicism when its true. All you hear is Hilary has a horrible plan. My Plan is better. Then silence as no plan is presented.

Its all about who can manipulate the voting body the best. Once upon a time Politicians actually laid out what they had planned for their time as President.

Now its all about getting the headline saying so and so is a moron and it works because even people on gaf are like haha that Obama got Bush good. Wheres the talk about stuff that matters like you know what the fuck Obama actually plans to do.Obviously They need to be flexible and ready to alter plans etc as matters change but how about we have details on what you have in mind. This day and Age Elections are won on who can look smarter and bullshit better rather then who will do a better job and who has plans to fix what they say is wrong

http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/ObamaBlueprintForChange.pdf

SRG01

laserbeam said:

Now its all about getting the headline saying so and so is a moron and it works because even people on gaf are like haha that Obama got Bush good. Wheres the talk about stuff that matters like you know what the fuck Obama actually plans to do.

Obviously They need to be flexible and ready to alter plans etc as matters change but how about we have details on what you have in mind. This day and Age Elections are won on who can look smarter and bullshit better rather then who will do a better job and who has plans to fix what they say is wrong

I think it's a symptom of the Gen-X/Y era where the general population is less interested in politics and more with their daily lives. Hence, the politians and the media need ways to capture their audiences' ever-shrinking attention spans. Of course, that only perpetuates the cycle even further.

I really do want to punch through a wall when I hear McCain and Bush say Democrats want to appease Iran/Hamas. As we've seen already, McShame has flip-flopped on his position with Hamas. U.S. presidents in the past have negotiated with our enemies. Nixon with China, JFK with the Russians, Reagan met with Gorbachev, and Bush Sr. sending Rumsfeld to talk to Saddam.

Jesus Christ. I feel like shooting myself in the head.

PHOTOS: BARACK OBAMA at a townhall meeting today in Roseburg, Oregon

capt.20000aab629644dd8edea7343b2520f0.obama_2008_orjh113.jpg

Democratic presidential hopeful, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., listens as he is introduced at a town hall-style meeting in Roseburg, Ore., Saturday, May 17, 2008.
(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

capt.a7ba5f4704f44ac288bb1da71f3e37f4.obama_2008_orjh111.jpg

Democratic presidential hopeful, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., waves towards supporters at a town hall-style meeting in Roseburg, Ore., Saturday, May 17, 2008.
(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

capt.51e028b389ae43f199c606b3cf9a82b9.obama_2008_ordr101.jpg

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., smiles as he is introduced at a campaign appearance in Roseburg, Ore., Saturday, May 17, 2008.
(.AP Photo/Don Ryan)

r3045645856.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) addresses the audience at a town hall campaign event at the Roseburg High School in Roseburg, Oregon May 17, 2008. REUTERS/Richard Clement

capt.29d95eaeccaf437194f657246e64cd1b.obama_2008_orjh115.jpg

Democratic presidential hopeful, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., speaks at a town hall-style meeting in Roseburg, Ore., Saturday, May 17, 2008. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

r2513242950.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) addresses the audience at a town hall campaign event at the Roseburg High School in Roseburg, Ore., May 17, 2008. REUTERS/Richard Clement

capt.8c2447851f2643f196629494e3728105.obama_2008_orjh112.jpg

Democratic presidential hopeful, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., speaks at a town hall-style meeting in Roseburg, Ore., Saturday, May 17, 2008. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

capt.2e666edc8a914268948aeb634d99bb56.obama_2008_orjh117.jpg

Supporters wear shirts supporting Democratic presidential hopeful, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., at a town hall-style meeting in Roseburg, Ore., Saturday, May 17, 2008. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

reilo

Oh Hillary.

"My opponent has won states worth 217 electoral votes."

Oh boy.

Dan said:
Then why can't Hillary knock out Obama...?

The cognitive dissonance is astounding.

True, but if you follow hillaryis44.org fairly consistently, they blame the media and the party establishment for Obama's rise. In their mind, Hillary is almost winning despite all those forces ganging up on her, that's how she is strong.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Instigator said:
True, but if you follow hillaryis44.org fairly consistently, they blame the media and the party establishment for Obama's rise. In their mind, Hillary is almost winning despite all those forces ganging up on her, that's how she is strong.
On the other hand, Obama has done what he has without the near-ubiquitous name recognition Clinton enjoys.

Clevinger

icarus-daedelus said:
Your constant bitching is probably the most obnoxious thing in this thread.

I mean jesus christ. Don't you have anything else to do besides nag at triumph and speculawyer?

He's also got that holier-than-thou air about him that's been so sorely missed in APF's absence.

icarus-daedelus said:
I DON'T WANT SOME NAMBY PAMBY WEBSITE, I WANT A THREE HOUR SPEECH DETAILING HIS PLANS FOR THE COUNTRY!!!111!!!!

....America can only take so much of his inspiring speeches before we run out of testicle juice.

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
Your constant bitching is probably the most obnoxious thing in this thread.

I mean jesus christ. Don't you have anything else to do besides nag at triumph and speculawyer?
Can i switch my time to nagging you?

I'm sorry I don't see how pulling comments from a clearly radical feminist website is newsworthy, but please explain it to me?

I DON'T WANT SOME NAMBY PAMBY WEBSITE, I WANT A THREE HOUR SPEECH DETAILING HIS PLANS FOR THE COUNTRY!!!111!!!!
Sarcasm aside, it would be nice to see politicians explain more of their positions, and why they have those beliefs in their speeches, from all future candidates.

The videos on his site were a nice touch.

He's also got that holier-than-thou air about him that's been so sorely missed in APF's absence.
Who are you?

reilo

I guess we have found the Absinthe of poli-gaf.

<3 u absinthe

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I really do want to punch through a wall when I hear McCain and Bush say Democrats want to appease Iran/Hamas. As we've seen already, McShame has flip-flopped on his position with Hamas. U.S. presidents in the past have negotiated with our enemies. Nixon with China, JFK with the Russians, Reagan met with Gorbachev, and Bush Sr. sending Rumsfeld to talk to Saddam.

Jesus Christ. I feel like shooting myself in the head.

That's the one thing that annoys me about the MSM, especially cable news. CNN and even MSNBC in some respects are so desperate to get "Fox News" channel ratings that they're slowing being transformed into their likeness (more CNN and less for MSNBC). If Obama ever did such a flip-flop he'd have been crucified by the media. McCain blatantly does it and the "free-pass" express moves on. But yet we have "Sweetie-gate" making primetime news.

With a few exceptions, cable news channels are garbage as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom