• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of toothless Hill-Billys (75,000 in Portland for OBAMA post #3599)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Cheebs said:
wtf is going on. Rasmussen had a 9 point lead for Obama over Clinton 2 days ago. This morning? It's down to a 2 point lead. One would assume he'd be pulling away.
Oh, she's still running? I haven't read about her in a couple of days.

Deus Ex Machina said:
Obama, back to Iowa

080104-obama-victory-hmed-1245a.hmedium.jpg

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0508/Obama_back_to_Iowa.html

He wants to be where it all began in a true swing state which went to Bush 50-49 over Kerry and polls currently show Obama leading McCain by 2-3 points.
I was hoping he'd do that. The state that kicked this all off. This is awesome.

Tickets for Obama appearance in Billings, MT, gone in two hours

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2008/05/17/news/local/18-obamafans.txt
When the tickets ran out about noon, campaign workers told the approximately 20 people still in line that there may be another event held on the Crow Indian Reservation.

By early evening, the campaign announced the rally in Crow Agency. Gates to the park, just off of Interstate 90, open at 12:30 p.m. Tickets aren't necessary.
Obama's campaign also has inspired Terry Dascher to vote. A Billings resident, Dasher, 50, who showed up at about 6 a.m., has voted maybe twice before in general elections.

"This is the first time I've even really wanted to vote," Dascher said. "He's the only person who ever excited me enough. I feel like he's got the energy to really make changes."
Lots of people who have not been much involved in politics are PUMPED in Montana! Check out the article and have a Saturday smile!

video:
http://videos.billingsgazette.com/p/video?id=1883771

Loudninja

Triumph said:
Also, CLINTON FUCKING WON THE SD GAME YESTERDAY! WTF is this shit? She got 2 to 1 for Barack. It must be noted that he DID get two from MI, but as of now they don't count.

Nope, one super for Hillary was already counted, also Obama got 2 yesterday as well.

heliosRAzi said:
Obama is killing gaming...

wait...

I blame 'bama

Nah, Obama's just a fad. All these new voters are excited now, but they'll only vote once and won't turn out in the general election. Besides, these voters aren't likely to support other politicians in the Senate or House, so their support really doesn't matter.

Just watch, older, more hardcore politicians attract more devoted voters that'll vote multiple times and donate more money. Just wait till everyone updates to electronic balloting and uses internet connections to keep up with the primaries and general elections.

I mean, Obama doesn't even have any real planks, it's all designed to attract new voters, it's nothing substantial. Heck, his best reviewed speeches don't have any core policies at all, where as McCain and Clinton have tons of them.

Zaptruder

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
Hey! When I made a comparison to the Wii, you tried to kill me! : (

Yes, because your comparisons sucked. But if you had made that one... I would've nodded my head.

Politicizing the other 2 consoles, or trying to string more then what I mentioned, just made it dumb.

Zaptruder

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
Nah, Obama's just a fad. All these new voters are excited now, but they'll only vote once and won't turn out in the general election. Besides, these voters aren't likely to support other politicians in the Senate or House, so their support really doesn't matter.

Just watch, older, more hardcore politicians attract more devoted voters that'll vote multiple times and donate more money. Just wait till everyone updates to electronic balloting and uses internet connections to keep up with the primaries and general elections.

I mean, Obama doesn't even have any real planks, it's all designed to attract new voters, it's nothing substantial. Heck, his best reviewed speeches don't have any core policies at all, where as McCain and Clinton have tons of them.

And this shit is why I tried to kill you the first time around. Retard.
Even if you are been facetious!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Just saw that South Dakota clip of Obama responding to Bush/McCain on the "appeasing" garbage. Good, good stuff. He sounds very confident, direct and specific--and easily tethers Johnny to Dubya.

Why McSame would choose this fight is beyond me.

esbern

Did Ted Kennedy have a stroke??

Yup:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/17/kennedy.hospital/index.html

en. Edward Kennedy was rushed to a hospital in Massachusetts Saturday morning, a well-informed, prominent Democratic source in that state told CNN.

Sen. Ted Kennedy, shown in May 2007, reportedly was rushed to a hospital Saturday morning.

Kennedy was transferred to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston after spending less than an hour in the Cape Cod Hospital emergency room, a spokesman for the Cape Cod facility told CNN.

David Reilly said Kennedy was admitted to the Cape Cod emergency room around 9 a.m. ET. Massachusetts General said it had no information on Kennedy.

GhaleonEB

bob_arctor said:
Just saw that South Dakota clip of Obama responding to Bush/McCain on the "appeasing" garbage. Good, good stuff. He sounds very confident, direct and specific--and easily tethers Johnny to Dubya.

Why McSame would choose this fight is beyond me.
The New York Times pointed out that he used McCain and Bush in the same sentence 10 times in the less than 10 minute segment. He's doing a good job of not only hitting back - hard - but tethering McCain to the least popular presided in modern history. And to be fair, McCain is doing a pretty good job of that too. :lol

Bush's comment really backfired.

Concept17

Deus Ex Machina said:
Tickets for Obama appearance in Billings, MT, gone in two hours

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2008/05/17/news/local/18-obamafans.txt

Lots of people who have not been much involved in politics are PUMPED in Montana! Check out the article and have a Saturday smile!

video:
http://videos.billingsgazette.com/p/video?id=1883771

This is true indeed. I live in Billings. Hes all over the radio and the news. Havent heard a thing from the Clinton camp.

laserbeam

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
The New York Times pointed out that he used McCain and Bush in the same sentence 10 times in the less than 10 minute segment. He's doing a good job of not only hitting back - hard - but tethering McCain to the least popular presided in modern history. And to be fair, McCain is doing a pretty good job of that too. :lol

Bush's comment really backfired.

Its impossible to gauge whether Bush's comments backfired or not. Your not gonna get a very clear picture of how the comments were recieved by people by continually talking to the same crowd of Obama/Democrat supporters.

Obama played to his crowd and unsurprisingly his own crowd reacted as expected. To guage a nationwide view on how a Pro-Obama Rally responded is dishonest at best

Alot of neutral stance political analysts think Bush got the point across even if it was a weak point. The Circle Jerk that is Liberal leaning analysts on how Bush got owned is pretty ignorant of the fact that outside of Liberals the whole situation could be taken very differently.

That said It looks like the super delegates are at least being smart and are not gonna cause a civil war in the party by siding with Clinton

Kildace

laserbeam said:
Alot of neutral stance political analysts think Bush got the point across even if it was a weak point. The Circle Jerk that is Liberal leaning analysts on how Bush got owned is pretty ignorant of the fact that outside of Liberals the whole situation could be taken very differently.

I agree. I also think that McCain's response was fairly good and must have convinced a fair share of people. It's going to take some effort to make Obama seem as credible as McCain on foreign policy to the majority of Americans who, even if they don't like Bush, have been buying into the NeoConservative foreign policy line for the last 8 years.

GhaleonEB

laserbeam said:
Its impossible to gauge whether Bush's comments backfired or not. Your not gonna get a very clear picture of how the comments were recieved by people by continually talking to the same crowd of Obama/Democrat supporters.

Obama played to his crowd and unsurprisingly his own crowd reacted as expected. To guage a nationwide view on how a Pro-Obama Rally responded is dishonest at best

Deus Ex Machina said:
Round 1 to Obama - The headlines say it all:

Obama blasts Bush, McCain over 'attacks' - CNN

Obama takes direct aim at Bush - Cleveland Plain Dealer

Barack Obama blasts back at President Bush, John McCain - Los Angeles Times

Obama links McCain to Bush policies - Philadelphia Inquirer

Obama attacks Bush over "appeasement" remarks - Reuters

Obama hits back over Bush claims - Sydney Morning Herald

Analysis: Obama reacts fast to Bush on diplomacy - AP

Obama lashes McCain, Bush in foreign policy row
- AFP

http://news.search.yahoo.com/news/search?p=obama+bush&c=

What a great way to set the framework.

GhaleonEB said:
051708DailyUpdateGraph1_zxdcab.gif

I think Obama's counter-punch worked.

Based on the evidence so far, I think Obama successfully turned an attack meant to put him on the defensive around. He addressed it so thoroughly that by the end of the day, the administration was trying to say they didn't even mean it was about Obama, when they were simultaneously leaking to reporters that it was. They backpedaled.

Now, I don't think it's conclusive, and it's an argument that will go on for the rest of this campaign. But I think it's hard to say that Bush and McCain got their intended effect from the remarks, from what we've see so far of opinion and coverage.

Kildace

GhaleonEB said:
Based on the evidence so far, I think Obama successfully turned an attack meant to put him on the defensive around.

Obama lost 1 point against McCain in the GE poll and is now -3. It's not surprising that his point went over well with democrats, the question is how was it received among independants and moderate republicans and on this we have no information yet except that indeed it didn't dent him much if at all. He successfully negated the attack though, which is important, straight away it shows that he isn't another Kerry and that he can fight.

Cheebs

Teddy has been overly active for his age lately. He has been on the campaign trail nonstop. He has done a good 2-3 rallies for Obama a week. At his age traveling around like that is hard. And he really gets into it. I watched one of his rallies in PA on c-span once. Dude gets crazy and pumped up.

thefro

Star Power said:
Apparently he had a seizure.

I hope that's true... that's something that should be checked out extensively (you're supposed to go to the hospital if you haven't had one before), but it's much better than a stroke.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Kildace said:
I agree. I also think that McCain's response was fairly good and must have convinced a fair share of people. It's going to take some effort to make Obama seem as credible as McCain on foreign policy to the majority of Americans who, even if they don't like Bush, have been buying into the NeoConservative foreign policy line for the last 8 years.

Hey, what are the polls showing in this regard--"What political party would do a better job handling terrorism?", that sort of thing?

Or "What political party would best handle the situation in Iraq?"

Weren't Dems polling better on these issues for a while now?

Kildace

bob_arctor said:
Hey, what are the polls showing in this regard--"What political party would do a better job handling terrorism?", that sort of thing?

Or "What political party would best handle the situation in Iraq?"

Weren't Dems polling better on these issues for a while now?

Yes, but after 8 years of the Bush administration repeatedly demonizing some countries and individuals and using them to scare America, non-democrats are probably still somewhat receptive to the argument McCain made in response to Obama. It's different from Irak where people see every day how the Republican administration has failed, it's dealing with hypotheticals. I'm just saying that it probably wasn't as overwhelming a win as most "Obama people" feel it is.

Kildace said:
Yes, but after 8 years of the Bush administration repeatedly demonizing some countries and individuals and using them to scare America, non-democrats are probably still somewhat receptive to the argument McCain made in response to Obama. It's different from Irak where people see every day how the Republican administration has failed, it's dealing with hypotheticals. I'm just saying that it probably wasn't as overwhelming a win as most "Obama people" feel it is.

I agree with this, which is why I think Obama and his surrogates have to keep pushing the "historical" angle. We've always spoken to our enemies, this policy of non-engagement is a new development, one of Bush's many failures, etc.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Kildace said:
Yes, but after 8 years of the Bush administration repeatedly demonizing some countries and individuals and using them to scare America, non-democrats are probably still somewhat receptive to the argument McCain made in response to Obama.

I think McCain even being mentioned in the same sentence with Bush negates any warm reception. 70% of the country doesn't even want Bush to speak anymore. Headlines claiming he called Obama a fool(!), accompanied by McCain nodding in agreement, won't help McCain in any way. And this is even without that supposedly damning video interview with Sky News making him look at worst a hypocrite and at best, disingenuous.

There's a reason the GOP just lost in Mississippi and it's because they can't read the writing on the wall. Still, I don't want to give the American people too much credit.

“I believe that it’s not an accident that our hostages came home from Iran when President Reagan was president of the United States. He didn’t sit down in a negotiation with the religious extremists in Iran, he made it very clear that those hostages were coming home.'’

Asked if he thought that former President Jimmy Carter, who struggled with the hostage crisis, was an appeaser, Mr. McCain replied: “I don’t know if he was an appeaser or not, but he terribly mishandled the Iranian hostage crisis.'’

So many errors in so little time.

Tamanon

Banned
Dammit McCain, don't go there, don't go to Reagan Iran policy. You're setting yourself up for a horrible fall.

And WTF? Reagan had nothing to do with the hostages coming home anyways! Carter did it right as his term ended....and through negotiations....this is just an awful statement by McCain.:lol

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
“I believe that it’s not an accident that our hostages came home from Iran when President Reagan was president of the United States. He didn’t sit down in a negotiation with the religious extremists in Iran, he made it very clear that those hostages were coming home.'’

Asked if he thought that former President Jimmy Carter, who struggled with the hostage crisis, was an appeaser, Mr. McCain replied: “I don’t know if he was an appeaser or not, but he terribly mishandled the Iranian hostage crisis.'’

He terribly mishandled the hostage crisis? He got EVERY FUCKING HOSTAGE back alive. Or does that not even matter? And the only reason that happened, is that he was willing to negotiate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom