• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: The Marvel Games team knows you want a new Marvel vs. Capcom

Sesha

I'm not sure Capcom got the staff to do justice for a Mvc4 anymore tbh... The MvC3 team was splitted apart right? I'd guess they are doing DMC5 since Sf5 was outsourced so heavily.

The DMC guys and the crossover fighting game teams are largely separate. Neo_G is the only key developer on MvC3 that's worked on both.

Neoxon

LMAO @ this post...

The irony being that it's filled with Magneto, Storm, Sentinel and Yipes (Magneto player) pics/gifs and chances are the game might not have those characters.

Still a moment to rejoice! Only Marvel 4 can kill Marvel 3!
Well, you're not wrong.

With all these marvel character bans at this point just give me Capcom vs Capcom.
It may be because I'm high on Mahvel hype, but I don't care at this point. I need more Mahvel.

Pretty glad to hear that the Marvel games division is still acknowledging the demand for a new MvC, though I'm personally keeping my expectations in check.

I would actually vouch more for a Marvel Super Heroes 2. Contest of Champions simply doesn't have that same spirit as the Vs. games and I'm not even referring to the micro-transactions.

Still waiting...
4721645-1144636426-Carol.png

I really hope for new Mahvel news as well.

EYEL1NER

I do want a new MvC game but I just don't know about right now. We've got the "license" issues where Marvel wouldn't want to use a ton of expected characters, we've got a huge new Marvel game in Spider-Man that wound up exclusive to one console, we've got the new Marvel games division that hasn't done anything of note yet, we've got a struggling CapCom that can't even release a game in their flagship fighting game series without getting Sony to front some money in exchange for exclusivity, the only thing Marvel has cared about lately is F2P mobile titles, and there is even more that would make me concerned.

A new Marvel vs Capcom would be great but I was able to wait a decade for a great follow up to MvC2; I can wait another decade between MvC3 and MvC4 if it means the next game is great too. Make UMvC3 backwards-compatible on Xbone and I'll be content for a little while.

BY2K

Membero Americo
LMAO @ this post...

The irony being that it's filled with Magneto, Storm, Sentinel and Yipes (Magneto player) pics/gifs and chances are the game might not have those characters.

Still a moment to rejoice! Only Marvel 4 can kill Marvel 3!

Well, you're not wrong.

It may be because I'm high on Mahvel hype, but I don't care at this point. I need more Mahvel.

Why the hell would they not bring back Mag-fucking-neto?

Neoxon

I do want a new MvC game but I just don't know about right now. We've got the "license" issues where Marvel wouldn't want to use a ton of expected characters, we've got a huge new Marvel game in Spider-Man that wound up exclusive to one console, we've got the new Marvel games division that hasn't done anything of note yet, we've got a struggling CapCom that can't even release a game in their flagship fighting game series without getting Sony to front some money in exchange for exclusivity, the only thing Marvel has cared about lately is F2P mobile titles, and there is even more that would make me concerned.

A new Marvel vs Capcom would be great but I was able to wait a decade for a great follow up to MvC2; I can wait another decade between MvC3 and MvC4 if it means the next game is great too. Make UMvC3 backwards-compatible on Xbone and I'll be content for a little while.
Again, that's a common misconception. Capcom was on-track to release Street Fighter V in 2018 without Sony's help. Sony only stepped in to speed up the process since they wanted an in with eSports for the PS4. All things considered, Capcom's doing okay financially. The problem is that the execs play things too safe for their own good.

Neoxon

Why the hell would they not bring back Mag-fucking-neto?
Here's the post from the Spider-Man PS4 game thread explaining everything.
Marvel legally has the rights to give developers access to their entire cast of characters thanks to Activision's hold on certain franchises (the X-Men for example) expiring back in 2014. The only license Activision has left is the Spider-Man movie tie-in license, which expires next year. This isn't a matter of Marvel not being able to use X-Men & Fantastic Four characters, it's the fact that they don't want to. Marvel's been trying to minimize the exposure of the X-Men & the Fantastic Four in an attempt to lower the popularity of both properties (which would in turn screw over Fox). Within the last few years, Marvel has had a bit of a feud with 20th Century Fox over the properties they still hold the movie rights for (the X-Men & the Fantastic Four). It grew to the point where, after the release of Marvel: Contest of Champions (the mobile Injustice knock-off by Kablam), Marvel imposed a complete ban on all X-Men & Fantastic Four characters in games made after Contest of Champions. One of the first victims of the ban was Marvel Mighty Heroes, whose developer (DeNA) had this to say on the matter.

mmh.png

To clarify what this ban means....
  • As stated earlier, all new games made after Contest of Champions are not allowed to use any X-Men & Fantastic Four characters. This includes the likes of Wolverine, Deadpool, Doctor Doom, Cyclops, Jean Grey/Phoenix, X-23, Storm, Magneto, Super-Skrull, Sentinel, & more.
  • Games made before the ban with active contracts, like Marvel Heroes (the PC MMO), can add whoever they want until their current contracts expires (Ex: Gazillion's existing contract with Marvel expires in 2019).
  • Remasters &/or ports of older games can be re-released untouched (Ex: The Deadpool remaster for PS4 & XB1).
  • The Maximoff Twins, Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) & Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff), are only allowed on a case-by-case basis (Ex: Lego Marvel's Avengers). Only their comic book & MCU incarnations can be used in the event that Marvel allows a developer to use one or both of the Twins, & zero references to their X-Men history can be made. They've also been banned from games more times than not, but their inclusion in certain games isn't impossible.
As for the timeline on how this has affected post-CoC games...
  • Avengers Alliance 2: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Avengers Academy: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Lego Marvel's Avengers: The Maximoff Twins are present, No X-Men, No Fantastic Four
  • Marvel Mighty Heroes: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Marvel Future Fight: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Disney Infinity 2.0 & 3.0: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
I hope this clears things up a bit.

I want to get excited but I feel this will happen.....

giphy.gif

I'd be genuinely bummed out if he wasn't in a sequel or any other Capcom crossover fighter. Wanted him in MvC3 even before vanilla launched. Phoenix Wright was the one reason I bought UMvC3 day one.

Neoxon

I'd be genuinely bummed out if he wasn't in a sequel or any other Capcom crossover fighter. Wanted him in MvC3 even before vanilla launched. Phoenix Wright was the one reason I bought UMvC3 day one.
This guy gets it. Given the resurgence of the Ace Attorney franchise as of late, I'd be genuinely surprised if Phoenix Wright doesn't come back.

Neoxon

This shit is FUCKED, what the hell.
Marvel Entertainment wants to distance the X-Men & F4 characters as far away from the Marvel brand as possible. Though oddly enough, the comics seem to be okay from this for the X-Men (though the Fantastic Four were phased out, with Johnny dating Medusa now & Ben joining the Guardians). So while the guys at Marvel Games may be up-standing people, the Marvel Entertainment execs (Ike Perlmutter included) are hella stubborn about the whole thing.

Marvel Entertainment wants to distance the X-Men & F4 characters as far away from the Marvel brand as possible. Though oddly enough, the comics seem to be okay from this for the X-Men (though the Fantastic Four were phased out, with Johnny dating Medusa now & Ben joining the Guardians). So while the guys at Marvel Games may be up-standing people, the Marvel Entertainment execs (Ike Perlmutter included) are hella stubborn about the whole thing.
Would that mean no Ghost Rider too? Or do they just not give a shit about him either way?

Neoxon

I think we'd at least get Magneto, Wolverine, and Deadpool. Just because of legacy and popularity.
I'm not sure if Marvel Entertainment cares about legacy. Maybe the guys at Marvel Games do, but not the execs.

Would that mean no Ghost Rider too? Or do they just not give a shit about him either way?
Marvel Studios regained the movie rights to Ghost Rider a few years ago, so he's safe. Plus, Ghost Rider's rights were previously with Sony, who has a good relationship with Marvel Studios.

oSoLucky

I only hope that they don't make 1/3 of the cast trash and the other 1/3 useful only in certain spots or on certain teams again.

Neoxon

I only hope that they don't make 1/3 of the cast trash and the other 1/3 useful only in certain spots or on certain teams again.
To be fair, balancing a cast of 50+ characters is a pretty daunting task. Hell, it's a miracle that Smash 4 is as balanced as it is.

TDLink

I don't want a port of Marvel 3. I just want them to do Marvel 4. Stack it with characters used in the MCU, I don't care. Just give it to me. I am confident they would still leave in a few F4 and X-Men characters even if they minimize them.

Neoxon

I don't want a port of Marvel 3. I just want them to do Marvel 4. Stack it with characters used in the MCU, I don't care. Just give it to me. I am confident they would still leave in a few F4 and X-Men characters even if they minimize them.
I'd like to think that, but recent events don't point to Marvel Entertainment being okay with any Fox characters in new games. Granted, the MvC games have more of a legacy for those characters, but Marvel Entertainment only wants the MCU characters to be associated with the Marvel brand point-blank. I could see Marvel Games siding with Capcom on the matter, but the higher-ups at Marvel Entertainment will probably have the final call. And with the likes of Ike Perlmutter being as stubborn as he is, there isn't much reason to be hopeful in that regard.

Neoxon

Allow UMvC3 BC on Xbox One then.
Wouldn't Capcom have to renew the license, first (I'm not 110% on how the backwards-compatibility process for XB1 works)? And even then, if XB1's BC with 360 games is emulation-based, wouldn't it introduce more input lag?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Wouldn't Capcom have to renew the license, first (I'm not 110% on how the backwards-compatibility process for XB1 works)? And even then, if XB1's BC with 360 games is emulation-based, wouldn't it introduce more input lag?

Better than nothing.

I'm still pissed the pinning on 360 for this game is borked. It's not the end of the world, but Can no longer pin UMvC3 on 360. It's fucking obliterating my OCD.

Neoxon

But does Capcom know too?
If Marvel knows, then I'm pretty sure Capcom is aware as well. The question is if Capcom is willing to pay the licensing fee to make MvC4 happen & if they're willing to make a few sacrifices with the roster to get this game going.

Has Capcom made a single new ip since the release of Marvel 3 though? Lost planet 3 Nicholas Cage guy and Deep Down knight guy are totally in.

Neoxon

Has Capcom made a single new ip since the release of Marvel 3 though? Lost planet 3 Nicholas Cage guy and Deep Down knight guy are totally in.
Asura's Wrath & Dragon's Dogma, for starters. Plus Capcom has introduced new characters into some of their key franchises.

oSoLucky

To be fair, balancing a cast of 50+ characters is a pretty daunting task. Hell, it's a miracle that Smash 4 is as balanced as it is.

Yes, and that's why it's good to have more patches than just a knee-jerk Sentinel nerf. Actual support would have alleviated most of the cast problems.

TreIII

How would people feel if they didn't want to do an MvC4, but instead a MSH2?

I'd be just fine with that.

I mean, unless I could get Devil Dinosaur fighting a Rathalos from Monster Hunter, the Capcom side of the roster will inevitably disappoint me, again.

Neoxon

Yes, and that's why it's good to have more patches than just a knee-jerk Sentinel nerf. Actual support would have alleviated most of the cast problems.
Given how Capcom's approaching SFV balancing (waiting until after the Capcom Cup to do massive balance changes), I wouldn't worry. Though Capcom would need to actually make sure that they can do balance changes whenever they want when negotiating with Marvel this time. Hell, all things considered, Street Fighter V is pretty well-balanced (Zangief aside, who can still get shit done if you try hard enough).

TWILT

Banned
I really don't care about the X-Men anymore (well, I'll kinda miss Wolvey, but I am kinda sick of him at this point), so yeah, bring on more Mahvel.

I'll even take a PS4 UMvC3 port (preferably with some better balance/better netcode). UMvC3 is kind of the only reason I keep my PS3 around lol.

TDLink

I'd like to think that, but recent events don't point to Marvel Entertainment being okay with any Fox characters in new games. Granted, the MvC games have more of a legacy for those characters, but Marvel Entertainment only wants the MCU characters to be associated with the Marvel brand point-blank. I could see Marvel Games siding with Capcom on the matter, but the higher-ups at Marvel Entertainment will probably have the final call. And with the likes of Ike Perlmutter being as stubborn as he is, there isn't much reason to be hopeful in that regard.

I feel like the only "essential" F4 and X-Men characters they need to have in terms of legacy are Doom, Magneto, and Wolverine. That said, again, if they don't have any characters from those franchises and just use MCU stuff...I'd be fine with that. I rather them work under that limitation than not get MvC4 at all. Besides, there's tons of other great characters that could be used.

OsirisBlack

Banned
MvC4 is bound to happen and you had better believe all of the x men and fantastic four characters will magically disappear from the roster. We will get Black Panther, Vision, Star lord, Ultron, Scarlet Witch, Daredevil, Thanos and other more mcu prominent figures.

Neoxon

MvC4 is bound to happen and you had better believe all of the x men and fantastic four characters will magically disappear from the roster. We will get Black Panther, Vision, Star lord, Ultron, Scarlet Witch, Daredevil, Thanos and other more mcu prominent figures.
Scarlet Witch would even be a question-mark (same for Quicksilver). The only game they've been in post-ban was Lego Avengers. Supposedly the Disney Infinity guys tried to include both of the Maximoff Twins in 3.0 but ran into some opposition in doing so.

Don't necessarily need new franchises, because the characters in old ones have changed a lot. Need newcomers? Welcome to the family, son.

Top Bottom