• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

President Trump to nominate Christopher A. Wray to be new Director of the FBI

Tovarisc

Edit:
Lawfare:
I worked with Wray in the Justice Department. He was the Assistant Attorney General for the Criminal Division when I was Assistant Attorney General for the Office of Legal Counsel.

Wray is smart, serious, and professional. He doesn't have quite the range of experiences that his two predecessors did. But he has deep experience with federal criminal law and the FBI. I think Trump's firing of James Comey was a travesty. But Wray is a good choice, a much better choice than any name I previously saw floated, and a much better choice than I expected Trump to make. Without prejudging what will surely be a probing confirmation process, I think Wray is qualified to be Director of the FBI.
https://lawfareblog.com/president-trump-nominates-chris-wray-fbi-director

Thanks chadskin

Edit: Bio of Wray: http://www.kslaw.com/people/Christopher-Wray

Initial reaction from e.g. Morning Joe's Joe and several people with knowledge on Twitter is that this is all around good choice by Trump

JOvxXu1.png

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/872419018799550464

MwdUpnC.png

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/872420021301063682

Edit: More info about the man: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=239484341&postcount=50

Edit:
Another attorney with ties to Gov. Chris Christie is in the running for a job in President Donald Trump's administration, this time to take the helm at the FBI.

Christopher Wray, a former U.S. assistant attorney general who represented Christie in the fallout of the Bridgegate scandal, was one of two candidates the president met with this week as he looks to replace fired FBI Director James Comey.

Christie said Thursday the president would "not be making a mistake if he asked Chris Wray to be FBI director," according to NorthJersey.com .

Wray was one of several lawyers to personally represent the governor in the aftermath of the George Washington Bridge lane closure scandal. NJ Advance Media reported earlier this week that another lawyer who represented Christie in Bridgegate matters, Craig Carpenito, is in the running to be New Jersey's next U.S. attorney, a job Christie once held.

The governor's name was floated as a possible candidate to replace Comey after Trump ousted the FBI director amid a probe into whether the president's campaign coordinated with Russia to influence the presidential election. But Christie has insisted he will be finishing his term as governor, which ends in January.

Wray was the head of the Justice Department's criminal division under President George W. Bush and is now in private practice at the law firm King and Spalding.
http://amp.nj.com/v1/articles/20792494/another_christie_lawyer_eyed_for_job_in_trump_admi.amp

I feel like this was done as an additional stab at Christie, haha.

His and Bush's utter humiliation have been the only silver lining of the paat year.

Carn82

did some quick googling, dude seems to be legit. But we`ll probably get 12981 pieces about his credentials today, hehe.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Chris Christies lawer... talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel (not a comment on his ability to be an FBI director). Feels like this is choice number 102. The timing is hilarious too.

So all the FBI agents are gonna prank the shit out of whoever gets nominated right? 'Kick me' on their back and an office full of Styrofoam.

Sean C

Another scum of the earth? I guess like attracts like.
There's nothing wrong with providing honest representation to a client.

At least off the rundown in the article, his credentials seem solid enough. Certainly better than all the politicians being floated.

The big issue, of course, is Trump himself, and whether he'll allow any FBI Director to function as they should.

Another scum of the earth? I guess like attracts like.

Chris Wray is actually really respected in the private practice. IIRC his forte is Finance and Regulatory litigation.
Not sure about his DOJ tenure, however.

personal creds: I used to be a contractor with King and Spalding's Atlanta offices

No, as he wont have oversight over Mueller while he will answer to Rosenstein and by extension to Mueller. If he tries to fight against Mueller he will be in deep shit.

Sooo...he's gonna try and fight against Mueller by next Monday...

Edit: He doesn't seem that stupid. He at least seems smarter than Trump.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
No, as he wont have oversight over Mueller while he will answer to Rosenstein and by extension to Mueller. If he tries to fight against Mueller he will be in deep shit.

I wonder if Trump knows this. You'd think his council would inform him but maybe he thinks appointing the new director could steer the investigation somewhat.

Chris Wray is actually really respected in the private practice. IIRC his forte is Finance and Regulatory litigation.
Not sure about his DOJ tenure, however.

personal creds: I used to be a contractor with King and Spalding's Atlanta offices

So...he's gonna get fired too then?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
From a previous thread here is my list of questions I would ask any nominee for director. Over and over and over again. He

• Would you take an oath of loyalty to the president if he asked you?
  • Has the president already asked you for your loyalty to him personally?
  • Did the president tell you if he was recording your conversations, either on the telephone or in person, when you discussed accepting this opportunity with him?
  • if he did not tell you he was recording would you be surprised to learn such a recording existed? Would you be comfortable with the content of those hypothetical recordings if they were released to the public at a later date?

xfactor99

Is there something inherently wrong with representing Christie during Bridgegate? On the surface, he's at least well qualified unlike say someone like Joe fucking Lieberman.

Seriously though, how can we trust anyone that kissed the ring, as we know he will have?

He knows the cost of not being loyal to Trump.

chadskin

Lawfare:
I worked with Wray in the Justice Department. He was the Assistant Attorney General for the Criminal Division when I was Assistant Attorney General for the Office of Legal Counsel.

Wray is smart, serious, and professional. He doesn’t have quite the range of experiences that his two predecessors did. But he has deep experience with federal criminal law and the FBI. I think Trump’s firing of James Comey was a travesty. But Wray is a good choice, a much better choice than any name I previously saw floated, and a much better choice than I expected Trump to make. Without prejudging what will surely be a probing confirmation process, I think Wray is qualified to be Director of the FBI.
https://lawfareblog.com/president-trump-nominates-chris-wray-fbi-director

Blader

Is there something inherently wrong with representing Christie during Bridgegate? On the surface, he's at least well qualified unlike say someone like Joe fucking Lieberman.

On the one hand, everyone is entitled to fair representation and defending a criminal shouldn't impugn the character of the lawyer. On the other, being the lawyer assigned to personally defend a political criminal and then be nominated by another political criminal to head the FBI just seems like a lot of high-profile political criminals to have in your corner!

BriGuy

The cynic in me believes the only reason this guy was selected is because he got Christie out of hot water in his bridgegate scandal and Trump was assured he would play ball.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
From a previous thread here is my list of questions I would ask any nominee for director. Over and over and over again. He

• Would you take an oath of loyalty to the president if he asked you?
  • Has the president already asked you for your loyalty to him personally?
  • Did the president tell you if he was recording your conversations, either on the telephone or in person, when you discussed accepting this opportunity with him?
  • if he did not tell you he was recording would you be surprised to learn such a recording existed? Would you be comfortable with the content of those hypothetical recordings if they were released to the public at a later date?

I imagine the first 2, at the very least, will be asked.

Anyone willing to pass Trump's loyalty tests is cinpromised in my eyes.

Exactly. Trump demonstrated how he handles people that aren't loyal to him with how spitefully he treated Comey. There was no way for whoever took this job not to look suspect, whatever their qualifications. Because whoever accepted it, does so knowing the cost of not being loyal. There doesn't even need to be a conversation about it.

Tovarisc

Top Bottom