• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

President Trump to nominate Christopher A. Wray to be new Director of the FBI

WinFonda

This whole administration is mired in toxic shit. We have no reason to believe Trump was looking for anything other than the most morally and ethically dubious person for job who also wasn't a totally known hyperpartisan hack, which this guy probably still is, but he's more of an unknown.

ACLU's torture database has 3 hits where Wray had been part of communications: https://www.thetorturedatabase.org/...9&author_name=Christopher A. Wray&advsearch=1

Shame on you if you kneejerk post on that ACLU part without reading docs or thinking it through!

zWUubNm.png

https://twitter.com/Jordanfabian/status/872430646098092034

nh4UGTo.png

https://twitter.com/EamonJavers/status/872431047530745856

So, not a bad pick per say, but not qualified for the position. Yeah, sounds Trump like. But like others I, too, am wary. Unless Trump just picked someone purely for "counter marketing" to Coney's testimony, hard not to raise an idea to any Trump pick.

But Trump did eventually pick a good Secretary of Labor once Hardee's guy dropped out, and his Defense and CIA picks were both good, or seem to have been so far. So who knows.

Tovarisc

So, not a bad pick per say, but not qualified for the Trump. Yeah, sounds Trump like. But like others I, too, am wary. Unless Trump just picked someone purely for "counter marketing" to Coney's testimony, hard not to raise an idea to any Trump pick.

But Trump did eventually pick a good Secretary of Labor once Hardee's guy dropped out, and his Defense and CIA picks were both good, or seem to have been so far. So who knows.

There will be that dark cloud of "Is he compromised? Did he kiss the ring?", but...

Everything that I have heard and read about this guy over past hour or so indicates this is good pick by Trump, even if lacks experience in leading organization in size of FBI.

This sudden announcement through fucking Twitter is just counter-programming by him tho, for sure. He wants to try redirect media narrative away from todays and tomorrows hearings and into this. Currently there is indicators that West Wing staff heard about this nomination when rest of the world heard as they had nothing prepared about the guy for media.

Is he even been vetted yet?

From a previous thread here is my list of questions I would ask any nominee for director. Over and over and over again. He

• Would you take an oath of loyalty to the president if he asked you?
  • Has the president already asked you for your loyalty to him personally?
  • Did the president tell you if he was recording your conversations, either on the telephone or in person, when you discussed accepting this opportunity with him?
  • if he did not tell you he was recording would you be surprised to learn such a recording existed? Would you be comfortable with the content of those hypothetical recordings if they were released to the public at a later date?
Good list. Another I would like to see asked is "Do you feel it is appropriate for the president and the director of the FBI to have meetings alone?"

So, either he's a Pence, and looks like a reasonable pick on paper, only to be another toady, or he's another McMaster, who has the resume and is widely respected, but will be continually undermined by Trump.

sangreal

So, either he's a Pence, and looks like a reasonable pick on paper, only to be another toady, or he's another McMaster, who has the resume and is widely respected, but will be continually undermined by Trump.

To whom did Pence look reasonable on paper?

Looks good on fraud, cybercrime and even some counter terrorism experience. No experience relating to intelligence collection/sharing or counter intelligence sadly.

Are Russian bots amplifying Trump's announcement yet?

Xe4

Banned
I'm ok with the nomination as of right now. If I see something to change my mind, I certainly will. However, the big thing for me is they can't be a known Trump supporter, and they can't be a politician. It looks like Wray is neither of these.

Aurongel

His credentials don't seem bad and anyone trying to take him to task for being the lawyer for corrupt individuals need a reality check on how that profession works.

What bothers me is the blatant distraction this represents.

Could they really not find someone unconnected with Chris Christie, rosneft (through his firm), Ashcroft ?
And btw RT loves him and that's bad automatically.
Because the URL is even asterisk out here.

Blader

Basically this. Wouldn't be surprised if he tries to get the confirmation hearings the same day Comey speaks.

This is nothing but distractions.

Comey speaks tomorrow. I'm not sure what the fastest nomination -> confirmation hearing turnaround in this administration is, but it's surely not 24 hours.

_Ryo_

Isnt anyone Trump nominates himself compromised by default? Especially when Trump himself refered to his loyalty pledges once on Twitter, if I recall correctly.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Pence never looked reasonable.

The fact that we are at what, 80 posts? so far indicates he seems to be rather decent pick.

Now looking forward for any indication he kissed the ring, which of course he did :p.

Iksenpets

Banned
It's never wise to hold a lawyer's previous clients against them, dude was just doing his job, but Trump doesn't understand the notion of professional duty at all. 90% chance Trump picked him because he viewed defending Christie over Bridgegate as the closest proxy to a loyalty test he could get without actually demanding an oath of loyalty.

It sounds like this guy probably isn't a stooge though, which will probably mean Trump's freakout when he doesn't obstruct the investigation will be epic.

CHC

I imagine all of them just sitting in a room, each scrolling through their contacts lists and saying names out loud to pick the director.

Chris Christies lawer... talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel (not a comment on his ability to be an FBI director). Feels like this is choice number 102. The timing is hilarious too.

Finding somebody remotely qualified who'll kiss a tiny handed mans tiny flacid dick in a loyalty pledge is as difficult as it sounds.

I think this is probably as good as it will get with this administration.

Based on what we've seen on the guy, there doesn't seem to be anything particularly wrong with him outside of level of experience on handling a job of this caliber. Considering that we can't just leave the FBI without a director, this pick is fine in my book.

AHK_Hero

"Please don't pay attention to congress this week"

The timing of this is incredible. He seems so desperate to distract from the testimony. Wray seems decent on paper, but considering what we've heard about Trump's loyalty tests it makes you wonder...

Assuming he's pledged loyalty to Trump.

There's also this tidbit from a story Newsweek ran, which I just found.

Newsweek said:
Wray is now a partner at King and Spalding, one of a few law firms that Trump has turned to for presidential appointments, along with Kasowitz Benson Torres. The president nominated Gilbert Kaplan, a partner at King and Spalding, for under secretary of commerce for international trade, a position in the Department of Commerce. Another partner at the firm, Bobby Burchfield, is ethics adviser to the Donald J. Trump Revocable Trust, which holds the president’s business assets. Dan Coats, Trump’s director of national intelligence, also once worked at the firm.

Surely these things will come up during the confirmation.

The guy seems ok, but even if Trump didn't ask him to pledge his loyalty to him, it's hard to see Trump at least not asking questions like what he thought about Comey's actions and what he thinks Trump firing Comey and such. And it's hard to see the guy answering anything critical towards Trump and get accepted.

Should we leave all positions the President appoints vacant?
Nobody said that. The point was the as Trump's personal pick, there's reason enough to be suspicious of the guy.

Maybe he'll be good and any worries won't materialize (which would be great), but still that wouldn't make those worries unfounded in the first place.

Top Bottom