• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenov

Spicey not being able to say definitively about the tapes is putting him into some really sticky situations with the press at briefings.

There's been at least 3 reporters that have asked him about the tapes, lol. Spicey's annoyed.

Oh god, now Spicer's explaining how Trump is some sort of a martyr for firing Comey because he knew it would have negative blowback on himself, but he knew it was "the right thing to do for the country" -- barf. He quickly ran away from the podium after that one.

Question about the tapes:

If there are tapes, it's illegal for those tapes to be destroyed. The White House will not deny the existence of tapes. So when should we expect a subpoena for tapes?

I would have issued one as soon as possible.

Tovarisc

He's straight up not answering any questions about the tapes.

Pure bullshit.

He is better off by towing line that Trump gave him. If he went with absolute yes or no he and/or WH may land in some deep shit, now he at least has trapdoor to use to use and try dodge possible shitstorm over Nixon_tapes_2.0.

He is better off by towing line that Trump gave him. If he went with absolute yes or no he and/or WH may land in some deep shit, now he at least has trapdoor to use to use and try dodge possible shitstorm over Nixon_tapes_2.0.

I would think, though, that by not denying the existence of tapes that opens the door for the Senate to subpoena the tapes. And if the White House then denies the existence of tapes I would think there would be an investigation into whether or not that's truthful.

Right?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I would think, though, that by not denying the existence of tapes that opens the door for the Senate to subpoena the tapes. And if the White House then denies the existence of tapes I would think there would be an investigation into whether or not that's truthful.

Right?

So long as the GOP controls the Senate that won't happen.

Dr.Acula

Banned
rvuQZzu3eBgT0f71O32o5ucPSMM=.gif

JIM WALLACE, ASSOCIATED PRESS. [ Clears Throat ] ARE THERE TAPES?

*Dismissived Laughter*

EQsBB78036ZyvuaC-_JIrGIxWvY=.gif

TOBY HUNTER, MINNEAPOLIS STAR. NO, REALLY, ARE THERE TAPES.

I won't answer that!

94citUnR-VqRsJR_TTSHa9HXQOY=.gif

And no more questions about whether there are tapes.

Tovarisc

*Dismissived Laughter*

I won't answer that!

Jim Acosta also asked Spicey about where the tapes are. He just has to do last minute shout out questions because Spicey don't call on him during briefings. I don't remember last time Jim asked question during.

"The president has nothing further to add."

jesus, what a joke. can't hear it anymore.

Nah man, it's great.

Evey time he is asked about the tapes, and every time he won't confirm/deny is great.

A) It makes it plainly obvious to the WH that this is a big deal

B) It provides great b-roll for "White House again refuses to confirm or deny..." news reports.

Like, kinda honesty I think it would have been smarter to just have flatly lied with "No".

It's plainly clear that any answer except "There are no recordings" is a "yes" answer.

Possibility: Spicer can't say no because Trump told him not to, as Trump believes that the tapes will somehow still be used to blackmail Comey.

I think that Trump thinks of a lie, but then his insane brain convinces himself that it is true, and he marches right along.

Possibility: Spicer can't say no because Trump told him not to, as Trump believes that the tapes will somehow still be used to blackmail Comey.

I think that Trump thinks of a lie, but then his insane brain convinces himself that it is true, and he marches right along.

Maybe, but Sean Spicer serves the office of the president and not the president himself, the implication being specifically he shouldn't lie on behalf of the president because it hurts the credibility of the position of president.

Question about the tapes:

If there are tapes, it's illegal for those tapes to be destroyed. The White House will not deny the existence of tapes. So when should we expect a subpoena for tapes?

I would have issued one as soon as possible.

Dems on a couple House committees have asked for them. I'd expect they're giving the WH until the dates in their letters to comply, and the one I remember seeing was in late May (the 25th, maybe?).

Once they've exhausted that route, subpoenas should happen. Asking in good faith comes first.

Mattenth

I'll tread into conspiracy land... This Twitter account @truefactsstated is really interesting (and his colleague, @LouiseMensch). I'll disclaim all of this by saying sure seems like the Alex Jones of the left...

but...

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...te-house-staffer-claude-taylor-knows-thi.html

Pretty wild conspiracy (same with the Dutch TV documentary).

They're basically saying that Russian oligarchs (and others) have been using Trump's businesses to launder money. They're investigating if Trump used campaign funds to also launder money, which could possibly implicate a lot of GOP leaders.

It is very strange how many bad actors Trump seems to be affiliated with.

Lo-Volt

She can't and won't say anything about the investigation content. best we can hope for is some sort of feel for momentum or scale of the crimes.

Remember Alias? The ABC show, Jennifer Garner and the pink wig and stuff?

Her character, Sydney, thinks that taking down her double-timing covert organization she got sucked into working for is something she can do by Christmas with the help of the authorities. She even draws a small org chart to indicate the target.

And then, her handsome handler (love interest yo) shows her his own board. There are ten times as many players in the game as Sydney imagined when she became a double agent on behalf of the government. That show was just getting started.

This is that. Donald Trump has been protected, enabled, and allowed to run a cruel fiefdom for decades. Donald Trump has raped, stolen, and mistreated residents and gotten away with it. He has pasties, loyal and knowing servants, and now has the support of millions in addition to the grudging support of the party of government (if only because they rightly fear their own illegitimacy and destruction for letting this creep take it over). One interview isn't going to knock this president out. One hearing might not do it. It can happen and I increasingly suspect it will: one way or another, the Trump regime stands a good chance of destroying itself. Just not as quickly as we want it to.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'll tread into conspiracy land... This Twitter account @truefactsstated is really interesting (and his colleague, @LouiseMensch). I'll disclaim all of this by saying sure seems like the Alex Jones of the left...

but...

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...te-house-staffer-claude-taylor-knows-thi.html

They're basically saying that Russian oligarchs (and others) have been using Trump's businesses to launder money. They're investigating if Trump used campaign funds to also launder money, which could possibly implicate a lot of GOP leaders.

Taylor is a conspiracy dude. Not as bad as Mensch, but his stuff should be taken with a pretty hefty grain of salt. Paste is doing a disservice to their readers in propping him up.

None of this sounds even remotely implausible, honestly.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

*Dismissived Laughter*

I won't answer that!

The Simpsons has a situation for everything.

Dan Rather just posted that the reason Rosenstein's testimony won't be public is because the GOP voted against it. I would imagine that means it's bad for them.

but...

Yeah always be wary of anything Mensch is attached to. She is far right and bi polar conspiracy nut. I know the desire to believe is strong but...

Deku Tree

Yeah they've been saying on twitter that for the past 15 years Trumps main business has been money laundering for Russian oligarchs.

They also retweet random anonymous twitter users who agree with them or who ask questions that they like.

and they need to keep tweeting anything at all all day long.

Right or wrong they sure do want attention.

gaugebozo

Nah man, it's great.

Evey time he is asked about the tapes, and every time he won't confirm/deny is great.

A) It makes it plainly obvious to the WH that this is a big deal

B) It provides great b-roll for "White House again refuses to confirm or deny..." news reports.

Like, kinda honesty I think it would have been smarter to just have flatly lied with "No".

It's plainly clear that any answer except "There are no recordings" is a "yes" answer.

I don't think so. They frequently don't talk about things because it brings up that they were lies in the first place. For instance, the " "wiretapping" " incident. The only one who wanted to talk about it was the president.

gutshot

Honestly, the most annoying part of the Taylor/Mensch stuff is how often drive-by posters come into this thread to post about it as if it is a new development.

notworksafe

uh, did anyone just get a pretty damning WaPo notification?

yep

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...0c172a-3960-11e7-9e48-c4f199710b69_story.html

Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian foreign minister and ambassador

President Trump revealed highly classified information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador in a White House meeting last week, according to current and former U.S. officials, who said that Trump's disclosures jeopardized a critical source of intelligence on the Islamic State.

The information Trump relayed had been provided by a U.S. partner through an intelligence-sharing arrangement considered so sensitive that details have been withheld from allies and tightly restricted even within the U.S. government, officials said.

The partner had not given the United States permission to share the material with Russia, and officials said that Trump's decision to do so risks cooperation from an ally that has access to the inner workings of the Islamic State. After Trump's meeting, senior White House officials took steps to contain the damage, placing calls to the CIA and National Security Agency.

”This is code-word information," said a U.S. official familiar with the matter, using terminology that refers to one of the highest classification levels used by American spy agencies. Trump ”revealed more information to the Russian ambassador than we have shared with our own allies."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom