• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press Reset: The Story of Polygon - financed by Microsoft for $750,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

So, President Obama is apparently on Reddit, I went to see, but it was crashed hard. Then mysteriously...
hdLIh.jpg

This guy has a real mad-on for us, huh?

Justin is lurking, i can feel it.

dLMN8R

Just cause he mentioned GAF? I don't understand what you're trying to get at

Ahem: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41259212&postcount=207

I think it's kinda funny how those here espousing this faux outrage are also people who seem to follow everyone they're bitching about on Twitter.

It's like they want to be at the forefront of bitching about them as soon as they do anything that neatly fits into the narrative they've crafted for them.

And then Justin shouts at Patrick Klepek with a "us enthusiast press guys have to stick together. They are always trying to trick us into submitting news stories without independent sourcing" A great representation of what Justin believes the future of Games Journalism is about.

Why bother when you can always just blame the unprofessional basement-dwelling nerds for setting back the credibility of all blogs.

ultron87

"Something something something basement-dwelling nerds."

And people are shocked Giant Bomb is more popular around here.

What? No. I wasn't suggesting that either of them actually hate GAF. I don't even think that was a dig from either of them. Just the joke that about 10,000 other people on Twitter did about "Obama visits X Internet place too!"

Coconut

Banned
So, President Obama is apparently on Reddit, I went to see, but it was crashed hard. Then mysteriously...
hdLIh.jpg

It would seem that he's making fun of the trivial nature of all of this.

In their E3 podcasts they just laughed at the idea of all of us on here arguing about video games. When some developer asked if any of them go on Neogaf.

kadotsu

Banned
I liked the style of the first ep. I wonder if Polygon plans to apply this kind of production value to actual, non self reflecting features. There is an "A Life Well Wasted" shaped hole in game coverage that needs to be filled and those guys seem to have the connections to fill it.

Alternatively, they could dump Griffin and Justin at a sploshing party and film their reactions for 90 minutes.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Was it? I don't know the guy well enough and thought he was genuinely enthused. just the inclusion of a farmer's market was a bit granola though fitting given the way these folks were portrayed in the trailer.

He and his brothers run a damn good comedy podcast, so I'd assume it was intentional.

FStop7

Banned
hdLIh.jpg

It was so funny when he came here begging for Joystiq to be unbanned, he must have been burning the fuck up inside over having to prostrate himself and grovel before LOWLY NERDS.

FStop7

Banned
So Joystiq was banned but Kotaku wasn't? wat

Joystiq was banned for something that happened a long time ago. Justin showed up one day and was actually pretty gracious, but then as soon as he got what he wanted he vanished. I used to be a pretty big fan of the Joystiq Podcast but over time he started getting kind of bitter or something, or that bitterness was always there and he stopped masking it.

Massa

Giantbomb has also generalized GAF and talked shit about it. I think what you mean is "since the GB guys put more of themselves out there it's easier for GAF to weirdly stalk them".

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
OMG this is so fucking glorious to read! I love how Totilo in interviews never admits that Kotaku is blatantly a tabloid that's just hungry for any rubbish.
i11OIhAqmFbIt.jpg

Is there a thread for the WORST Videogame news websites and all their fuck-ups over the years?

Seriously. The way Crecente handled this was the last straw for me. Couldn't take him or kotaku seriously at all, by that time.

iammeiam

The first episode was nowhere near as bad as the teaser, but sort of stumbled in parts. The guy getting the tattoo because... I don't know... he's hardcore? was just as random as everyone said, and the EA meeting kind of flopped because they failed to provide any kind of context. Knowing why a group from a future website was having a meeting with EA showing off how awesome their auto-resizing is going to be would actually be informative. It was less an actual documentary piece explaining what goes in to starting the site than it was essentially a clip from a Polygon EPK.

Maybe future episodes will be better constructed? In any case it's less self-congratulatory than I was expecting so far so that's good.

Chuck

Still without luck
Crecente is the one guy I really, really wish they didn't hire. And when they did, I was willing to give him a second chance as perhaps the awful work he did at Kotaku was a result of the way things are done over there. But no, the Jason Rubin misquote shows that there is more poor reporting to come.

They can still drop him and hire Jim Reilly, it's not too late!

Chuck

Still without luck
http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/30/3278926/metal-gear-movie-being-made-by-marvel-studios

I think it's pretty sad how little credit Tracey gives John Ricciardi here. I mean, John (who has no affiliation with Polygon) is at the MGS event getting news, quotes, pictures, pretty much doing her entire job, and then all he gets as thanks in the post is a tiny button at the bottom linking to his twitter. Not even an image credit. And then she goes and treats everything he says as 100% fact. Just sad. :/

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/30/3278926/metal-gear-movie-being-made-by-marvel-studios

I think it's pretty sad how little credit Tracey gives John Ricciardi here. I mean, John (who has no affiliation with Polygon) is at the MGS event getting news, quotes, pictures, pretty much doing her entire job, and then all he gets as thanks in the post is a tiny button at the bottom linking to his twitter. Not even an image credit. And then she goes and treats everything he says as 100% fact. Just sad. :/

Kotaku style reporting.

Glad to see it made it over to Polygon.

Gowans

Watched the first ep.

Pissed me off from the start with that intro, no world view at all that 'history lesson' was as if the rest of the world outside of the US did not exist.

Who are the aiming this series at, seems like they are teaching grannies how to suck eggs.

Hopefully during the development episodes they'll be some real content to watch.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I expect that out of smaller joints, but surprised Polygon is going this route too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom