• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press Reset: The Story of Polygon - financed by Microsoft for $750,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistwell

He was excited about a game - shame on him.
games-journalismaf8t.gif

Fair and balanced; he dances, you decide.

Coxy

This is called "advertising". It´s what you see underneath my post here on GAF, too.

It´s what keeps the nice things going.

bad analogy, no-one would complain about ads before or after the video, try putting some ads and referral links inside your posts and see how far you get with that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Let him dance! Never had a problem with that GIF.

I get excited sometimes - does NOT make me less objective.

Mass Effect 3 was my most anticipated game of all time and guess what!? - It´s shit.

See?

I don't have a problem with the gif, either, but I can understand that some people question his objectivity concerning the game in question as a result of his display, and since his Twitter post mentions the phrase "...for behaviour that makes them look corrupt", I felt it was pertinent.

Fistwell

Is that... Eric Woerth?
An honest man's face!

Mass Effect 3 was my most anticipated game of all time and guess what!? - It´s shit.

See?
Maybe if you'd just danced a wee bit more, it'd have turned out better?

I don't care either way about mcElroy so much, but his little dancing skit does seem kind of a poor match for New Games' Journalism. I thought that's what old games' journalism was all about, dancing fairy possession and all?

I love this picture so much. Every time I see it I laugh. Such a perfect face

See?

Maybe you think its shit because you had such built up expectations. Maybe ME3 is a fine game you just refuse to like. Sounds pretty subjective to me - Why do you hate so much Glam?

Derrick01

Banned
This is called "advertising". It´s what you see underneath my post here on GAF, too.

It´s what keeps the nice things going.

Advertising is a commercial or a banner on a website. Advertising shouldn't be taking up more of the room than the "journalist" in it.

GlamFM

Banned
Advertising is a commercial or a banner on a website. Advertising shouldn't be taking up more of the room than the "journalist" in it.

He was being interviewed. Have you seen sponsored interviews before? This is how they look.

I think it´s also important to know that Geoff does not review games.

Everybody should relax a litte - really.

Durante

What has he actually done that is not ethical in your eyes?
He refused to review one of the best games of the generation because he is too fucking stupid to follow a map marker. And that game's reception more or less killed its developer. So basically, he's a murderer.

But seriously, I have a very short list of game "journalist" names I remember -- usually not for good reasons -- and he is on top of that.

diffusionx

Gold Member
He refused to review one of the best games of the generation because he is too fucking stupid to follow a map marker. And that game's reception more or less killed its developer. So basically, he's a murderer.

But seriously, I have a very short list of game "journalist" names I remember -- usually not for good reasons -- and he is on top of that.

What game is that?

ultron87

Yeah, the Nier thing was pretty terrible and is where I'd actually point to as an example of unprofessionalism. But I wouldn't call it unethical either.

ultron87

If he had posted an article that was like "hey, this fishing quest in Nier is really stupidly designed" and then gone onto review it later, it would've been fine. Because it is really stupidly designed.

"Fuck this game, I'm not reviewing it" isn't cool.

smr00

Banned
If he had posted an article that was like "hey, this fishing quest in Nier is really stupidly designed" and then gone onto review it later, it would've been fine. Because it is really stupidly designed.

I don't know.

I played the game for about an hour and said "fuck this game, im not playing it anymore" not out of frustration or anything. It just sucked.

GlamFM

Banned

"Fuck this game, I´m giving it a low score" would be more problematic.

Not everybody can like every game.

I don´t get how this is supposed to be a problem.

DocSeuss

Damn.

Thats what some "journalists" are saying about John Walker for criticzing other journalists for advertizing games in exchange of a PS3.

It's worth noting that John Walker says that having adverts posted on a site isn't a sign of corruption--the thing that people are criticizing Polygon for. I'm going to side with Walker on this. Polygon can do wrong, sure, and the teaser for the documentary was terrible, but they haven't done wrong in receiving advertising dollars for Internet Explorer.

Sorry for ignorance but I am just now catching up to this.

So Microsoft financed a documentary meant to drum up Interest in the launch of Polygons new brand and website is that correct?

If so my guy instinct is to view any preview or review of them as very suspect.

Definitely seems like a huge conflict of interest

DocSeuss

Sorry for ignorance but I am just now catching up to this.

So Microsoft financed a documentary meant to drum up Interest in the launch of Polygons new brand and website is that correct?

If so my guy instinct is to view any preview or review of them as very suspect.

Definitely seems like a huge conflict of interest

Which preview? The one where Forza Horizon got a 6/10, or the one where Steel Battalion got a 1/10? Or maybe it's on the Verge side, where Windows 8 got an 8.8 (lol) and Surface RT got a 7?

Is Rock, Paper, Shotgun suspect because they have an XCOM ad? Eurogamer because of Black Ops 2?

The ad on Polygon wasn't even gaming-related--it was for Internet Explorer--so why are they triggering your gut instinct?

Which preview? The one where Forza Horizon got a 6/10, or the one where Steel Battalion got a 1/10? Or maybe it's on the Verge side, where Windows 8 got an 8.8 (lol) and Surface RT got a 7?

Is Rock, Paper, Shotgun suspect because they have an XCOM ad? Eurogamer because of Black Ops 2?

The ad on Polygon wasn't even gaming-related--it was for Internet Explorer--so why are they triggering your gut instinct?

See I just needed clarification. I Assumed Microsoft was financing this documentary in a producing role. I didn't know it was just some IE ad.

Curufinwe

It's worth noting that John Walker says that having adverts posted on a site isn't a sign of corruption--the thing that people are criticizing Polygon for. I'm going to side with Walker on this. Polygon can do wrong, sure, and the teaser for the documentary was terrible, but they haven't done wrong in receiving advertising dollars for Internet Explorer.

Who is that guy in the last link? I remember after the trailer he called McElroy a giant baby who belches when he talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom