• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) PC performance thread

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The power plant areas seems to be hit or miss for a lot of people. I'm on a 970 and it dropped down to 35-40 but still perfectly playable yet people with 1080ti's are getting 16fps? It's like a black hole is down there. Plot twist, maybe there is. It eats your frames.

I went as low as 15fps on a GTX 970 too, the whole room was horrible and really hurt gameplay.

The power plant areas seems to be hit or miss for a lot of people. I'm on a 970 and it dropped down to 35-40 but still perfectly playable yet people with 1080ti's are getting 16fps? It's like a black hole is down there. Plot twist, maybe there is. It eats your frames.

Noticed nothing crazy at the power plant. Weird that some people are though.

pa22word

Yeah on my 980ti build it coughed a few times but nothing major like sustained 17fps.

ISee

Performance is now extremly bad for me. Was running like a dream previously. 1440p/60 fps without even a sweat. Now no matter what I do locked 60 fps are undoable. This is on patch 1.2 btw. Nothing helps. I'm running into some kind of bottleneck, no idea what though.

bad_performancemkuji.jpg

pa22word

Performance is now extremly bad for me. Was running like a dream previously. 1440p/60 fps without even a sweat. Now no matter what I do locked 60 fps are undoable. This is on patch 1.2 btw. Nothing helps. I'm running into some kind of bottleneck, no idea what though.

Maybe Full Res SSR working now? This is the first patch where they are working as intended, right?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Maybe Full Res SSR working now? This is the first patch where they are working as intended, right?

Sort of. 1.02 just fixed the issue of the setting needing to be disabled and re-enabled while it's the 1.03 beta that fixes the black texture bug, the latter of which, although not ubiquitous like the former was, does seem to rear its head for a lot of people (myself included).

SomTervo

Opt into the Beta patch?

Deffo improved things for me

Speaking of bugs, I found a small black square hovering near a computer terminal, so I went up to it and it started following me, then getting larger and larger until it enveloped the whole screen and I had to restart the game.

Creepy ass square.

lol

ISee

Opt into the Beta patch?

Deffo improved things for me

lol

Already gave the Beta Patch a go. Performance was even a bit worse. Deactivating settings doesn't help at all. Rolling back to the previous Nvidia drivers didn't help.
There is also something wrong with vsync. It seems to be triple buffered now. Even when fps go slightly below 60 the game immediately locks to 30 fps.

Going to reinstall the game now. But I doubt this will help.

J_Viper

I'm on the public beta patch and I'm still dealing with corrupted saves and hard locks

Seriously, what the fuck is this shit

JaseC

I'm on the public beta patch and I'm still dealing with corrupted saves and hard locks

Seriously, what the fuck is this shit

There's the distinct possibility that your corrupted saves are related to your system suddenly stalling. Have you ruled out the instability being a hardware issue? After my most recent upgrade, I thought my CPU overclock was stable as I'd only ever experience problems after playing The Witcher 3 or Just Cause 3 for a while, not while stress testing. Eventually, but not before erroneously isolating the PSU as the troublemaker, I decided to take off 100MHz and it's been smooth sailing since.

Power Plant reactor would definitely drop my GTX1080 to 17fps or so (weird that it's always around that number for a floor) looking from the top down, though it would be better looking elsewhere from the top. Did what someone else suggested in the main thread and quit/reloaded the save, and suddenly 60fps. Did a bunch of stuff in that area, and when I came back to the top after 15-20 minutes the framerate dived again, though not as bad. Seems to fit with what other people have said about GPU performance progressively getting worse the longer you spend in that area.

Besides one weird spot in the Arboretum where my framerate halved to 30fps for a few seconds before going back to 60, that was the only performance issue I had. Haven't tried the new patch yet, though, hopefully it doesn't wreck things...

J_Viper

There's the distinct possibility that your corrupted saves are related to your system suddenly stalling. Have you ruled out the instability being a hardware issue? After my most recent upgrade, I thought my CPU overclock was stable as I'd only ever experience problems after playing The Witcher 3 or Just Cause 3 for a while, not while stress testing. Eventually, but not before erroneously isolating the PSU as the troublemaker, I decided to take off 100MHz and it's been smooth sailing since.

Hmm

Well, I'm new to the PC side of things, but I don't recall ever overclocking my rig in anyway, but maybe I just don't remember?

How would I check for that? Thanks by the way

JaseC

Hmm

Well, I'm new to the PC side of things, but I don't recall ever overclocking my rig in anyway, but maybe I just don't remember?

How would I check for that? Thanks by the way

Well, if you've not touched anything, then your CPU is unlikely to be be overclocked, however your GPU may be a non-reference model with higher default clockspeeds, which sometimes aren't actually stable due to a lack of thorough factory testing. CPU-Z and GPU-Z will report the clockspeeds of your processor and graphics card, respectively, and here's a PC World article on stress testing that should be easy enough to follow.

d00d3n

Enable supersampling: Create or open autoexec.cfg in the root of the game's installation folder and add r_Supersampling = x, where x is your desired factor. (Credit to SunBroDave.)
Note: The game multiplies each axis by the nominated value. E.g. A value of 2 on a 1080p display means the game is effectively running at 4K.

Does the supersampling fix for anyone else currently? I had downsampling through DSR earlier, but the game kicked me out of that mode and doesn't allow me return to it for some reason. I tried the supersampling fix in the OT, but it doesn't seem to work for me. The autoexec.cfg file is supposed to be placed in "/Prey/" right?

JaseC

Does the supersampling fix for anyone else currently? I had downsampling through DSR earlier, but the game kicked me out of that mode and doesn't allow me return to it for some reason. I tried the supersampling fix in the OT, but it doesn't seem to work for me. The autoexec.cfg file is supposed to be placed in "/Prey/" right?

Regarding DSR: Did you switch to borderless window mode? If you're not using fullscreen, the only way to "enable" DSR is to change your desktop resolution to your desired DSR resolution prior to launching the game.

Regarding supersampling: Are you using a whole number? The cvar won't accept decimal numbers (e.g. 1.5). A value of 2 is equivalent to 4x DSR, so if you're hoping for something in-between and can't get DSR working in-game, you'll have to make use of the borderless window workaround described above (simpler than manually setting up a custom resolution).

d00d3n

Regarding DSR: Did you switch to borderless window mode? If you're not using fullscreen, the only way to "enable" DSR is to change your desktop resolution to your desired DSR resolution prior to launching the game.

Regarding supersampling: Are you using a whole number? The cvar won't accept decimal numbers (e.g. 1.5). A value of 2 is equivalent to 4x DSR, so if you're hoping for something in-between and can't get DSR working in-game, you'll have to make use of the borderless window workaround described above (simpler than manually setting up a custom resolution).

DSR resolutions were not possible to select in game irrespective of my current desktop resolution. I finally got it to work by selecting a DSR resolution and borderless windowed in Geforce Experience and using that resolution as my desktop resolution (otherwise only got the zoomed in upper left corner of the DSR resolution), though.

The autoexec.cfg supersampling failed with the integer 2, which was the only value I tried. I am certain that I got no supersampling with this method. Maybe some bug related to 21:9 resolutions (my display is 2560*1080 native)?

Anyway, thanks for the answer!

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah came in here to ask about the Power Plant...

I've been getting 70-80fps easy on my GTX 1080 since the beginning but it drops to 10-15fps when I look down in that room... It's kinda crazy.

JaseC

The autoexec.cfg supersampling failed with the integer 2, which was the only value I tried. I am certain that I got no supersampling with this method. Maybe some bug related to 21:9 resolutions (my display is 2560*1080 native)?

After some mucking around, I've discovered that it does still work, however Arkane has either unintentionally or quietly disabled autoexec.cfg support.

r_Supersampling = 2 in autoexec.cfg:

r_Supersampling = 2 in SteamApps\common\Prey\GameSDK\game.cfg:

I placed autoexec.cfg in the root of the installation folder, the folder containing the executable, and alongside the aforementioned game.cfg to no avail; the game is definitely refusing to acknowledge the file.

d00d3n

After some mucking around, I've discovered that it does still work, however Arkane has either unintentionally or quietly disabled autoexec.cfg support.

r_Supersampling = 2 in autoexec.cfg:

r_Supersampling = 2 in SteamApps\common\Prey\GameSDK\game.cfg:

I placed autoexec.cfg in the root of the installation folder, the folder containing the executable, and alongside the aforementioned game.cfg to no avail; the game is definitely refusing to acknowledge the file.

Interesting! Thanks for investigating this further.

ISee

Finally reinstalled the game and performance is now again in the 90+ fps @ 1440p and max settings. Something went terrible wrong while patching the last time. No idea what though.

Whatever, game is playable again :)

I was hoping that turning off CA would make the text on screens normal. Sadly it still looks like shit :( So painful for me to read double layered text. Looks all whack to my eyes.

JaseC

1.02 vs 1.03 performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I17arBhH4xI
As expected, no difference.

All well and good, but let's not move the goalposts: this doesn't invalidate what I said earlier as screen-space reflections are clearly running in both demos and, more to the point, these aren't Overclock3D's benchmarks.

Edit: As a 1080 Ti owner myself, I thought it prudent to run my own comparison using the GLOO gun pick-up point:
1080p w/ 2x supersampling said:
1080p w/ 2x supersampling said:

And to answer your next question: Yes, that's Comic Sans. ;)

dr_rus

All well and good, but let's not move the goalposts: this doesn't invalidate what I said earlier as screen-space reflections are clearly running in both demos and, more to the point, these aren't Overclock3D's benchmarks.

Edit: As a 1080 Ti owner myself, I thought it prudent to run my own comparison using the GLOO gun pick-up point:

And to answer your next question: Yes, that's Comic Sans. ;)

Nobody's moving anything. 1.02 added SSRs and even though there were some issues with them rendering correctly, the performance hit from SSRs (compared to 1.00 where there was no SSRs in most benchmarks) was the same as in 1.03 which fixed these issues. Which is what this video illustrates.

JaseC

Nobody's moving anything. 1.02 added SSRs and even though there were some issues with them rendering correctly, the performance hit from SSRs (compared to 1.00 where there was no SSRs in most benchmarks) was the same as in 1.03 which fixed these issues. Which is what this video illustrates.

Right, but, if you'll recall, what we disagreed on was whether or not screen-space reflections were running in pre-1.03 benchmarks, not whether or not 1.02 and 1.03 would run near-identically under identical conditions. While they obviously were in Mr. YouTuber's case, that doesn't mean the same is true of O3D's benchmarks... or was "expected" not intended as a callback to our earlier discussion and we actually agree?

J_Viper

I don't get it

My pc is fine, I've completely reinstalled Windows, tested Witcher 3 on high end settings, I have zero hardware issues

SO WHY THE FUCK DOES PREY KEEP CRASHING ON ME

I'm now at 14 hard locks. I just don't understand.

Well, if you've not touched anything, then your CPU is unlikely to be be overclocked, however your GPU may be a non-reference model with higher default clockspeeds, which sometimes aren't actually stable due to a lack of thorough factory testing. CPU-Z and GPU-Z will report the clockspeeds of your processor and graphics card, respectively, and here's a PC World article on stress testing that should be easy enough to follow.

Thanks for this, btw

JaseC

I don't get it

My pc is fine, I've completely reinstalled Windows, tested Witcher 3 on high end settings, I have zero hardware issues

SO WHY THE FUCK DOES PREY KEEP CRASHING ON ME

I'm now at 14 hard locks. I just don't understand.

You are its prey. :(

Thanks for this, btw

No worries, but I know I didn't help as I realised afterwards that you'd already asked for advice in the "I need a new PC" thread, haha.

The Dude

Running a new 1080 ti strix, game has run perfect at 60 locked on 4k but in the arboretum there are a few patches where I drop in 50s and 40s, but then can like walk to better frames within same area and of course once I left it was fine.

Anyone experience that in that area? I'm running the newest drivers, could that be an issue or just chalk it up to the game?

beast

Neo Member
Strange issue for me with v sync

Nvdia G sync on
Nvidia control panel v sync off

In game v sync off caps the framerate at 144fps
in game v sync on uncaps the frame rate (hitting 190 fps)

JaseC

Running a new 1080 ti strix, game has run perfect at 60 locked on 4k but in the arboretum there are a few patches where I drop in 50s and 40s, but then can like walk to better frames within same area and of course once I left it was fine.

Anyone experience that in that area? I'm running the newest drivers, could that be an issue or just chalk it up to the game?

It's the game. A few people in this thread have noted the same thing.

Paragon

Strange issue for me with v sync

Nvdia G sync on
Nvidia control panel v sync off

In game v sync off caps the framerate at 144fps
in game v sync on uncaps the frame rate (hitting 190 fps)
I've noticed this in a few games.
As far as I can tell, what happens is that the game disables its own framerate limiter when V-Sync is enabled, because V-Sync would typically cap the framerate by itself.
But G-Sync is not limiting the game like V-Sync typically would, so it allows for framerates above the game's cap.

dr_rus

I've noticed this in a few games.
As far as I can tell, what happens is that the game disables its own framerate limiter when V-Sync is enabled, because V-Sync would typically cap the framerate by itself.
But G-Sync is not limiting the game like V-Sync typically would, so it allows for framerates above the game's cap.

Why would a game have a limit at vsync rate though?

Paragon

Why would a game have a limit at vsync rate though?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
Some games have a hard framerate cap at 60 FPS, and the assumption is that they're going to be used on a 60Hz display.
So if V-Sync is enabled, they can remove the 60 FPS limiter since V-Sync itself would cap the game to 60 FPS on a 60Hz display.
The reason you would disable the framerate limiter is because combining a 60 FPS frame limiter and 60Hz V-Sync can cause stuttering issues if there are timing differences between the framerate limiter and V-Sync.

But if your display supports >60Hz, this can allow it to run above 60 FPS.
In Prey's case, the game has a 144 FPS framerate limiter - and based on beast's post, it seems that enabling V-Sync will disable it, allowing the framerate to go above 144 FPS.

I just started this and wow the audio levels really are bad, aren't they? I had everything turned down to 25% and the first person you speak with actually hurt my ears with how loud they were. Music and sound effect levels seem fine but the voices are really wonky.

So is this game optimized for AMD? Because I just switched from an AMD 480 8GB to a GTX 1060 6GB and I got 60 FPS all the way witht he AMD card, but after reinstalling Win10, then the game, it's dropping to like 40ish FPS just in the opening station. What the heck is going on?

I am getting big, chunky frame drops when I quickly turn the camera, but only in some areas. It was particularly bad in the water treatment area and the air filtration section. Most other parts of the station are very smooth and not like this at all.

https://giant.gfycat.com/ContentSecondhandAmericanpainthorse.webm

It seemed like moving the camera quickly after the camera had stopped would trigger the drop, which is why I'm swinging my mouse around to show that it's probably not a motion blur issue or something like that. If I moved the camera slowly after stopping then a drop was much less likely.

Anyone else see anything like this?

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I just started this and wow the audio levels really are bad, aren't they? I had everything turned down to 25% and the first person you speak with actually hurt my ears with how loud they were. Music and sound effect levels seem fine but the voices are really wonky.
Just bought this on sale and came to post the exact same thing. The sound quality is fubar.

Paragon

The audio mix is a lot better if you keep all sliders at 100%.
It seems that some sounds bypass it.
Use the Windows Mixer to reduce the volume.

dex3108

I just tried Prey PC demo and mouse cursor is still broken when you use DSR :( Not to mention that even with using 4K DSR aliasing is still there. Really strange game. And it is really shame because maxed out at 1440P game still runs locked 60 on my GTX 1060.

BTW, if you want to keep per-object motion blur, but turn off camera motion blur add this to your game.cfg

Code:
r_MotionBlurCameraMotionScale = 0.0

Top Bottom