• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) PC performance thread

Anyone else have "Slow" texture loading when changing weapons?

I have a 970 and 8gb of RAM. It's especially noticeable when I select the margrave shotgun, it takes a second or so for the texture to load. Like it's blurry for about a second.
Yup I've had this multiple times alongside some stuttering, even thought the game wasn't doing this in the same area yesterday c:

J_Viper

Okay I can't be the only one getting this fucking glitch where your weapon goes invisible?

Every time it happens, my computer hard locks. This has happened EIGHT times now. I've tried deleting and reinstalling, but that hasn't helped.

Any ideas?

Plz help

This game is amazing, and it pains me to have to hold off on my playthrough because of this ridiculousness.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've just gotten to the
Power Plant
and now my frame rate has nearly halved to 35, this area seems awfully optimised, camera movement and aiming just feels terrible in this area.

EDIT: Damn it just gets worse and worse, this is borderline unplayable, even on lowest settings it does it.

EDIT2: I've had to stop playing, the frame rate goes as low as 15 on low settings, it's unplayable now.

pa22word

I've just gotten to the
Power Plant
and now my frame rate has nearly halved to 35, this area seems awfully optimised, camera movement and aiming just feels terrible in this area.

EDIT: Damn it just gets worse and worse, this is borderline unplayable, even on lowest settings it does it.

EDIT2: I've had to stop playing, the frame rate goes as low as 15 on low settings, it's unplayable now.
Sounds like your gpu or CPU is throttling. What's your temps looking like?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

Temps are fine. I Google'd the area + Prey frame rate and got lots of hits, it's not my PC as many people are reporting the same problem with this area exclusively

pa22word

Temps are fine. I Google'd the area + Prey frame rate and got lots of hits, it's not my PC as many people are reporting the same problem with this area exclusively
I mean yeah I had drops there too but nothing as extreme as that. Usually when perf drops exponentially like that it means you're either throttling or running out of memory. I know the game recs 16 GBs, maybe that's the one area in the game where it does? I know dishonored 2 and dx md has similar issues with memory drops on 8GB machines in certain areas.

I have a 16GB machine and a save near there so I'll check it out when I get home later.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I mean yeah I had drops there too but nothing as extreme as that. Usually when perf drops exponentially like that it means you're either throttling or running out of memory. I know the game recs 16 GBs, maybe that's the one area in the game where it does? I know dishonored 2 and dx md has similar issues with memory drops on 8GB machines in certain areas.

I have a 16GB machine and a save near there so I'll check it out when I get home later.

I'm using 16GB DDR3 2133MHz. The entire game has run at 60fps locked on very high settings but I get 15fps on low at times in the Reactor, that's just not normal, it really is unplayable which sucks.

Lime

Is the stuttering a problem of Nvidia's latest drivers or something with the game? In combat my framerate drops by half and the gpu usage fluctuates wildly:

preyfluctuationseru7r.jpg

Lime

Do you have the Hotfix driver? Stuttering was a problem with the latest WHQL release

Link to the Fix

Thanks, but it didn't work, I still get fluctuating performance. Some areas such as the machine shop area has my GPU usage drop to 50% for some reason and my FPS to 30.

EDIT: adding the _ChromaticAberration = 0, r_HDRBloomRatio = 0, r_MotionBlur = 0 to autoexec.cfg made the problem disappear. I wonder which of the effects that did this

nkarafo

So i played a few hours of this game and i'm starting to like the way it looks. But there's something that bothers me. There is no option to have dynamic lighting for the flashlight.

The flashlight illuminates objects but they cast no shadows. This makes the game look very bad when you explore dark areas with it. And sure, i get they wanted the game to run faster on consoles. But why isn't there any option to enable this on PC?

Funny thing is that there are some lamps that you can carry and these are light sources that, unlike your flashlight, they do make objects cast shadows! I actually used one in a dark area and it makes the game look incredibly atmospheric with all the dynamic shadows. Plus, i didn't notice any huge impact on frame rate either.

Maybe there is a cfg line or command somewhere that enables this?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Maybe there is a cfg line or command somewhere that enables this?

Doesn't seem to be. Nothing in the config files stands out and while there a couple of related threads on the game's Steam Community hub, neither contain a solution.

Paragon

New patch is up, 480mb-ish. Steam discussions are saying the FOV slider is now in.
Can confirm that there's an FoV slider now - though it's still HFOV and limited to 120°.
Looks like they fixed screen-space reflections too. I ran around a few areas and wasn't getting any glitches now.

No option for motion blur yet.
Still halves mouse sensitivity when sprinting and reduces sensitivity in other situations too; which I cannot stand.

JaseC

Can confirm that there's an FoV slider now - though it's still HFOV and limited to 120°.
Looks like they fixed screen-space reflections too. I ran around a few areas and wasn't getting any glitches now.

No option for motion blur yet.
Still halves mouse sensitivity when sprinting and reduces sensitivity in other situations too; which I cannot stand.

Yeah, I couldn't enable the setting at all without the textures breaking, but it's fine now.

I was getting agro with a 1060. I rewound to last nvidia driver and used preset options. Was stuttering all over when previously it was running fine. Doing the above seemed to tidy it all up and set quality to very high. Working sweet again.

ISee

JaseC

I hope at least some sites rerun their benchmarks now that the SSR setting has been fixed. I've added a small disclaimer to the OP.

No it's not! A lot of people have experienced this issue including me. What I did is that I restarted the game and the problem went away, but it crept back slowly. I think it;s definitely a draw call issue where the system keeps rendering things without flushing them out of memory hence the slow performance over time. Just keep on restarting the game until you are done with that area.

Sky87

When at the power plant and looking down when you're at the top, it will tank your framerate like crazy no matter what kind of hardware you're running. I think it's a bug with the older drivers (supposedly the latest drivers are fine in that area).

There's a hotfix driver up for Nvidia that fixes the stuttering as well, so just install that and you should be good to go.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4464

Game looks a little washed out to be honest. I'm playing on max details@1080p. My GTX 970 can't handle 1440p with vsync sadly. I think the highest AA option causes a blurry picture, doesn't it? I changed it to FXAA and it's either a placebo or it improved. It still looks like the image is being held back by something though.

Latest hotfix driver is installed.

SomTervo

Anyone else getting this 'everything is black' renderer error now? All the time? When facing certain directions?

What setting do I have to turn off to fix that???

As far as I can tell it's to do with Looking Glasses. Whenever you're pointed the direction of a Looking Glass (anywhere in the game world) the rendering fucks up and everything goes black + grainy.

JaseC

Anyone else getting this 'everything is black' renderer error now? All the time? When facing certain directions?

What setting do I have to turn off to fix that???

As far as I can tell it's to do with Looking Glasses. Whenever you're pointed the direction of a Looking Glass (anywhere in the game world) the rendering fucks up and everything goes black + grainy.

That's a mild version of the bug with screen-space reflections. Opting into the public beta branch fixes it.

When at the power plant and looking down when you're at the top, it will tank your framerate like crazy no matter what kind of hardware you're running. I think it's a bug with the older drivers (supposedly the latest drivers are fine in that area).

There's a hotfix driver up for Nvidia that fixes the stuttering as well, so just install that and you should be good to go.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4464

Thank you.

Paragon

Now go try it in the power plant!
The lowest I could get it to drop was about 68 FPS at 3440x1440 on a GTX 1070 with an R7-1700X.
I don't know if it's the NVIDIA Hotfix driver (382.19) or the beta patch for Prey (1.03) which fixed it.
No stuttering running around Cargo Bay either.

I was already in the beta when it started and just opted out to see if they would fix it.
Will try again
The beta patch fixed that for me, but you may also need to be running the NVIDIA Hotfix drivers.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Performance in reactor room is absolute dogshit and I refuse to believe that it is related to how big the location is. I mean, sure, it's big, but nothing in there should hammer 1070 that much and i'm talking about 17 FPS(!!!!). Sevenfuckingteen!

The fuck it this, Arkane? Would you kindly fix this shit? Oh, and this too:

saunderez

Performance in reactor room is absolute dogshit and I refuse to believe that it is related to how big the location is. I mean, sure, it's big, but nothing in there should hammer 1070 that much and i'm talking about 17 FPS(!!!!). Sevenfuckingteen!:

It gets that low on my 290 too which is getting long in the tooth now. I didn't have a framecounter on at the time but it was jarring after getting locked 75fps for most of the game.

Speaking of bugs, I found a small black square hovering near a computer terminal, so I went up to it and it started following me, then getting larger and larger until it enveloped the whole screen and I had to restart the game.

Creepy ass square.

Bydobob

Performance in reactor room is absolute dogshit and I refuse to believe that it is related to how big the location is. I mean, sure, it's big, but nothing in there should hammer 1070 that much and i'm talking about 17 FPS(!!!!). Sevenfuckingteen!

Well, it's not the driver as some have suggested. I've rolled drivers back and forth so many times trying to pin down what is bogging down performance and it doesn't seem to matter. Every now and again the GPU will just choke in certain areas. The only cure is to relaunch the game.

Power plant is definitely the worst area. A GPU usage of 27% and 29fps made the game an unplayable slideshow with a GTX 1080, but after relaunching it was back up to 99% and >100fps. Leave the game running in that area for half an hour or so and watch GPU usage start dropping...

The problem is there doesn't seem to be any throttling or bottlenecking going on. 67C and 2025 Mhz suggests all is normal on the GPU front, while 6700k CPU and memory are barely being taxed. Whatever parasitic drain is taking place is clearly happening in the background outside the reaches of hardware monitors.

saunderez

Well, it's not the driver as some have suggested. I've rolled drivers back and forth so many times trying to pin down what is bogging down performance and it doesn't seem to matter. Every now and again the GPU will just choke in certain areas. The only cure is to relaunch the game.

I wonder if the engine is locked up waiting for something that is specific to that area of the game. Is there any way to turn on more verbose logging for CryEngine? Might get some hints in there as to what is happening.

SomTervo

The lowest I could get it to drop was about 68 FPS at 3440x1440 on a GTX 1070 with an R7-1700X.

I don't know if it's the NVIDIA Hotfix driver (382.19) or the beta patch for Prey (1.03) which fixed it.
No stuttering running around Cargo Bay either.

The beta patch fixed that for me, but you may also need to be running the NVIDIA Hotfix drivers.

Yep, opting into the beta patch again fixed it. Phew!

dr_rus

Those are benchmarks for 1.02 published a few days ago. It's the 1.03 beta that fixes SSR and it was released just yesterday. I've added both articles to the OP, though, so thanks.

As far as I understand, 1.02 fixed the SSR not rendering but there were some artifacts with them enabled? These artifacts being fixed in the new patch likely lead to the same performance as with them in 1.02 so this benchmark is probably accurate for the new patch as well.

JaseC

As far as I understand, 1.02 fixed the SSR not rendering but there were some artifacts with them enabled? These artifacts being fixed in the new patch likely lead to the same performance as with them in 1.02 so this benchmark is probably accurate for the new patch as well.

It fixed the setting not being enabled unless it was disabled then re-enabled, but not the black texture issue and I wouldn't think the various benchmarks were run with an improperly-rendered world. Additionally, full-res reflections have a performance impact of around 30% on a 970 whereas the biggest difference between O3D's two sets of benchmarks is approximately a third of that.

Edit: To clarify, the bug doesn't just result in some artefacts. It breaks literally every single texture being rendered:

Arkanius

When i entered the reactor room for the first time I dropped from 144 FPS to 20!
On a 1080 Ti

But then I reloaded my save and I had back to constant 144 FPS in the exact same location :|

Feels very weird, and I don't have the latest Nvidia driver by the way

Profanity

When i entered the reactor room for the first time I dropped from 144 FPS to 20!
On a 1080 Ti

But then I reloaded my save and I had back to constant 144 FPS in the exact same location :|

Feels very weird, and I don't have the latest Nvidia driver by the way

The reactor room is weird, the first time I went there I had similar drops on a 1080. The second time I went there in the late game and it had 'changed' a little the framerate was fine.

GavinUK86

The power plant areas seems to be hit or miss for a lot of people. I'm on a 970 and it dropped down to 35-40 but still perfectly playable yet people with 1080ti's are getting 16fps? It's like a black hole is down there. Plot twist, maybe there is. It eats your frames.

Top Bottom