• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) PC performance thread

An easy way to downsample this effectively without it causing bugged UI or mouse cursor etc.?

Running it at 1440p @ 144hz but the game just looks... rough? Murky? IDK. Doesn't look good anyway.

Want to downsample from 4K to see if it improves things.

i7 7700k
16GB DDR4 3000
1080 Ti
Intel 600p SSD

OtisInf

Really awesome tools Otis. Thanks for all the hard work on all the other ones too!
...too bad the game is butt-ugly, otherwise I might put in some effort... :)

Would be much more engaging if the player model was visible.

Thanks man :) Well, it is possible to make it visible (SunBeam found the '3rd person' function), but there's no head on the model, so it will always look very awkward ;)

An easy way to downsample this effectively without it causing bugged UI or mouse cursor etc.?

Running it at 1440p @ 144hz but the game just looks... rough? Murky? IDK. Doesn't look good anyway.

Want to downsample from 4K to see if it improves things.

i7 7700k
16GB DDR4 3000
1080 Ti
Intel 600p SSD

Does Nvidia DSR cause those issues you mentioned?

That would suck as I planned on trying it myself.

yeah that was the post that caught my eye. Not interested in fucking around trying to fix those things, just want an easy downsample. Might not be possible tho

Tecnniqe

Banned
Supposedly yes (haven't tried it myself), but based on this post, the mouse cursor issue seems like it may depend on what scaling you use:

Cursor hides in the menu when it take a screenshot but it works both in UI perfectly fine and in-game perfectly fine, nothing is off scale looking to me.

In-game screen of resolution scale and 0 mouse adjustments.

3440x1440
Code:
[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4182/34517985476_31f2ae997e_o.png[/img]

Edit off screen capture - UI
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2MbO3SB.jpg[/IMG]

6880x2880
Code:
[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4174/34428925891_3748302a4e_o.png[/img]

Edit off screen capture - UI
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/IvO9uBC.jpg[/IMG]

Does Nvidia DSR cause those issues you mentioned?

That would suck as I planned on trying it myself.

Sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't.

I might boot up the game and it's completely fine with my desktop resolution set to 1080p, but downsampling ingame from 2160p.
Sometimes I boot it up and it fucks up the mouse cursor.

What always work though is setting the desktop resolution to the same you use ingame.

Corpekata

Banned
I've only had the bugged mouse cursor when using DSR after changing res, a restart fixes it. Seems to happen to a decent amount of games lately, especially Telltale games.

zXe

DSR never seems to work when I set it anymore I use a 1080p monitor and set the game to full screen. Not sure what's going on. I set dsr factor between 1x and 2x. What do I choose for 1440p?

Stevey

I reached this huge area last night (
power reactor
) and my fps took a nosedive. Really distracting.

That's a common thing that's affecting lots of people, hopefully they'll patch it, it dropped down to 14FPS on my GTX1080

DSR never seems to work when I set it anymore I use a 1080p monitor and set the game to full screen. Not sure what's going on. I set dsr factor between 1x and 2x. What do I choose for 1440p?

1.78x will get you almost exactly 1440p

1080p = 2073600 pixels
* 1.78 = 3691008 pixels
1440p = 3686400 pixels

Methinks Nvidia chose 1.78x to get 1080p users close to 1440p, and 2.25x to get 1440p users close to 4K.

Dreadmoth

1.78x will get you almost exactly 1440p

1080p = 2073600 pixels
* 1.78 = 3691008 pixels
1440p = 3686400 pixels

Methinks Nvidia chose 1.78x to get 1080p users close to 1440p, and 2.25x to get 1440p users close to 4K.

The 1.78x mode seems to be 1.777...x, just rounded for display - with it enabled the DSR resolution is exactly 2560x1440:

ChHzmts.png

Xerazal

Neo Member
3770k stock, 16gb DDR3-1600, Fury X here. Runs great at 1440p. I hover around 60-80fps. Game starts to stutter after a few hours playing though, but other than that its been fantastic. 18 hours in so far.

edit: forgot to mention, running it with the maxed preset.

Anyone had an issue with Xbox One controllers where the game simply won't acknowledge it's plugged in?

I can't replicate it 100% of the time, but more often then not when I load up the game it won't acknowledge I'm pressing controller buttons despite that I used the same controller to launch the game.

Is it a issue with the game or a issue on my computer? I've tried both wireless and wired connections.

Anyone had an issue with Xbox One controllers where the game simply won't acknowledge it's plugged in?

I can't replicate it 100% of the time, but more often then not when I load up the game it won't acknowledge I'm pressing controller buttons despite that I used the same controller to launch the game.

Is it a issue with the game or a issue on my computer? I've tried both wireless and wired connections.

Not sure if your issue is the same as mine, since I'm using a 360 controller and am streaming via a steam link, but my controller was detected again after toggling the steam controller option in the game's controller settings.

PC version was running fine until I stumbled upon this fiery type of Phantom, and then the frame rate took a huge shit from 130 something down to low 50's. Reloaded the last save, same thing.

i7 6700k (stock)
GTX 1080 SC SLI
32GB DDR4

What am I looking at here performance wise in 4k + maxed out? Is there SLI support or do I need to play around with profiles?

ltr

Neo Member
Anyone getting heavy stutter at cargo bay when running around? Changing settings does not seem to have any effect on it.

TheTrain

From the activity feed:

The Steam beta update v0.5 includes:

​Fix to prevent Save games from becoming corrupted. Fix also returns corrupted Save games to uncorrupted state.
----->Also addresses some additional crashes on map loads.
Hacking during the Power Plant reboot no longer causes the reboot to fail to complete.
Fix to prevent the Player from becoming stuck in certain circumstances.
Nightmares will now always search for the player once spawned.
Saving and Loading PC settings will now save correctly for users with special characters in their Windows usernames.
Numerous fixes to GLOO to prevent breaking and bypassing collision, prevent corpses from passing through walls and floors.
Updated Recycling to prevent infinite material creation.
Fix for occasional combat freeze when attacking Phantoms
Kaspar’s objective indicator should no longer disappear.
Updates to audio mix to adjust volume of music, audio logs, cutscenes.

Rizific

6600k @ 4ghz
gtx 1070
16gb ddr4 3000
2560x1440

getting 120+fps will all graphical settings maxed out. had to manually disable trash ass motion blur, but otherwise its going ok. anyone having trouble getting gsync to work in fullscreen mode?

ISee

I mean opting into the beta branch fixing the issue with SSDAO/SSR being reset upon launch or possibly resulting in graphical corruption when actually enabled.

The new drivers don't help with that (and I wonder why they should in the first place).
But the beta patch seems to work. Just installed it and SSR is turned on from the beginning.

edit: The game really feels a lot smoother with the new drivers.

Truant

IMO the biggest fix is that the Nightmare actually does something besides standing there. That seemed like such a wasted opportunity in the release version.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The new drivers don't help with that (and I wonder why they should in the first place).
But the beta patch seems to work. Just installed it and SSR is turned on from the beginning.

Cheers. I just thought to search the game's Steam Community hub and found a few more posts saying that the issue has been fixed, so I'll update the OP (I figured I'd wait for more impressions given how broken it was).

Hello! I have a question:
I want to buy Prey.
There's no demo, and so I don't know if it would run well on my system. I checked the minimum requirements, and here's my problem:
My PC:
i5-2320 at 3.0Ghz
Nvidia GTX 960 2Gb
10Gb of ram.
Now my problem is, while I ace the minimum requirements for the gpu and ram, I'm about .1Ghz under the minimum (minimum stated Core i5-2400 3.1GHz).
Would I still be able to run the game? Would it run at least and be playable? I'd rather not get it on PS4 if I can play it on my PC, but an upgrade isn't in the cards soon.
Thanks for you help in advance!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I want to buy Prey.
There's no demo, and so I don't know if it would run well on my system. I checked the minimum requirements, and here's my problem:
My PC:
i5-2320 at 3.0Ghz
Nvidia GTX 960 2Gb
10Gb of ram.
Now my problem is, while I ace the minimum requirements for the gpu and ram, I'm about .1Ghz under the minimum (minimum stated Core i5-2400 3.1GHz).
Would I still be able to run the game? Would it run at least and be playable? I'd rather not get it on PS4 if I can play it on my PC, but an upgrade isn't in the cards soon.

You should be fine. If you buy the game on the Steam Store, you can always get an automatically-approved refund provided you submit the request within two weeks of purchase and don't exceed two hours of play time (use Offline Mode if need be).

ISee

I want to buy Prey.
My PC:
i5-2320 at 3.0Ghz
Nvidia GTX 960 2Gb
10Gb of ram.

Digital Foundry was able to run the game on a Pentium G4560 / GTX 1050 @ 1080p mostly locked 60 fps. Settings were around PS4 levels (mostly high, no SSR).
Your CPU is better than the Pentium and your 960 is also stronger than a 1050. You'll be fine, but don't forget to update your drivers to 382.19 and set textures to medium.

Video

You should be fine. If you buy the game on the Steam Store, you can always get an automatically-approved refund provided you submit the request within two weeks of purchase and don't exceed two hours of play time (use Offline Mode if need be).

Digital Foundry was able to run the game on a Pentium G4560 / GTX 1050 @ 1080p mostly locked 60 fps. Settings were around PS4 levels (mostly high, no SSR).
Your CPU is better than the Pentium and your 960 is also stronger than a 1050. You'll be fine, but don't forget to update your drivers to 382.19 and set textures to medium.

Video

Thanks guys, that's awesome news! :D

Top Bottom