• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) PC performance thread

Justinian

How much testing have you done? Someone mentioned a few days ago that setting the executable to high priority alleviated stuttering but later said it was just a coincidence as the stuttering returned.

I haven't played enough to say for certain, but it seems to have worked over a couple hours of play. Either way, it's a potentially easy fix in the interim before they hopefully patch it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I haven't played enough to say for certain, but it seems to have worked over a couple hours of play. Either way, it's a potentially easy fix in the interim before they hopefully patch it.

Cheers. I'll give it some more time before throwing it into the OP.

Edit: I'm on Win10 Pro x64 and can't change the priority of the core system process. Did you mean the game's executable?

pa22word

So has anyone else seen the game even sniff more than 6ish GBs of RAM?

I'm nearing about the 75% mark and haven't seen anything that would spell doom to people playing on 8GB configurations (on 16GBs). JaceC, you might put that in the OT for people who are scared off right now by the 16GB recommendation. I'll keep checking, but I really doubt anything crazy is going to suddenly double the ram usage to 12 GBs or whatever in the meantime.

Vintage

I'm getting some pretty heavy stuttering in the Arboretum area - most noticeably when turning around, so I'm guessing it's streaming related. Game's been pretty smooth otherwise.

I'm on the 378.78 NVIDIA drivers, so not the latest ones.

Anyone else experiencing stutter in the Arboretum?

The frame rate drops significantly in Arboretum, I noticed very annoying stutter when I hit 60-70fps (even with g-sync), but when it climbs back up to 80 or so it's smooth again. No idea why.

Tecnniqe

Banned
The frame rate drops significantly in Arboretum, I noticed very annoying stutter when I hit 60-70fps (even with g-sync), but when it climbs back up to 80 or so it's smooth again. No idea why.
Had a weird issue with that as well. Game would flunctuated to 60 and 80 snapping back and forth in an instant constantly but reloading the save fixed it and it was silky smooth again. Might be the area itself.

JaseC

So has anyone else seen the game even sniff more than 6ish GBs of RAM?

I'm nearing about the 75% mark and haven't seen anything that would spell doom to people playing on 8GB configurations (on 16GBs). JaceC, you might put that in the OT for people who are scared off right now by the 16GB recommendation. I'll keep checking, but I really doubt anything crazy is going to suddenly double the ram usage to 12 GBs or whatever in the meantime.

Well, GameGPU's article has RAM usage data, plus people who are unsure about how their system will fare tend to pop into these threads and ask.

Edit: And, refunds aside, there should be a demo at some point as it's in the registry.

The guide in the op says how to supersample but how do I change it to to 4k on a 2k monitor?

The setting multiplies each axis by the nominated value, so 2 will get you 4K -> 1080p.

ISee

The guide in the op says how to supersample but how do I change it to to 4k on a 2k monitor?

2k as in 1440p?
Not possible via the r_supersampling command, sadly. r_supersampling = 2 will give you 5120x2880, r_supersampling = 1 is still 1440p and anything in between won't work.

If you're on a nvidia card there is actually only one way to reach 4k for downsampling as the nvidia DSR factors will only bring you slightly below or slightly above 3840x2160 and give you super sampling artifacts.

Open the Nvidia Control Panel. Now go to Display -> Change Resolution menu and select Customize. In the new window check 'Enable resolutions not exposed by the display' and select 'Create Custom Resolution'. Set the new resolution to 3840x2160 and click test. The screen will go off and on after a while and a pop up window will come up: Test succeeded; do you want to save custom resolution? Press yes. If your monitor isn't able to handle the resolution the screen will automatically go back to your previously selected resolution after ~20 seconds.

Now open 'Adjust desktop size and position' in the Nvidia control panel and change the Perform scaling option to: GPU

You can now choose 2160p in full screen mode in Prey (restart recommended, obviously). If you want to use this resolution in borderless window mode you'll have to change windows resolution to 2160p before starting the game.

If 2160p is too much for your GPU, you can also try 3200x1800.

Is there yet any tools for HUD toggle and/or freecam?
Freecam:
The camera tools for Prey 2017: https://github.com/FransBouma/InjectableGenericCameraSystem/tree/master/Cameras/Prey
(Freecam/timestop/fov/supersampling)

They're a bit like a shiny new car but no gasoline to put into it: no HUD toggle in sight, so it is a bit of a pain to get a great shot I think for now. They've confirmed on twitter they'll add a hud toggle, but when that is released is of course anyone's guess. 3d migoto bugs out with this game, so it's not usable to hunt for the shaders. The hunt is still on though, so perhaps it's found before the devs release their hud toggle ;). Sunbeam and I have dug up all references to objects in the game so it's highly likely one of them is the pesky hud renderer/menu system.

expletive

Does this game actually support HDR? When i launch it i get tremendously oversaturated colors. This is with the win 10 creators update and latest nvidia drivers for my 1080. (I also tried to roll back to an earlier nvidia driver but no luck).

Is anyone else seeing this issue or have any other information? (My display is an LG B6)

Anyone getting any issues with xbox one wireless controller with this game? It seems to be hit and miss whenever i load it up whether my controller wants to work or not. I've even plugged it in and still not working at times, even though I can see it's connected.

I've found that turning the system process to realtime alleviates the stuttering associated with the latest drivers. Much simpler than rolling back.

That's the same snake oil people are posting everytime there's a new game.
By now I just ignore the process priority posts, because I've never seen them do anything.

kami_sama

I've been having a lot of trouble with the stuttering, it's making my head hurt. Will update to the "latest" drivers and I hope it will be resolved. Will also change the FoV angle, and I hope it alleviates it.

rtcn63

That's why I put latest in quotes, will update to 381.89 instead.

tenor.gif

OtisInf

HUD Toggle! :)

I've updated the camera tools, with support for the sys_flash cvar, found by Jonas Beckman using SunBeam's cvar finder cheat table. setting sys_flash to 0 disables the hud (and menu and in-game elements based on this system) so it's ideal for screenshots and if you want to play without a HUD. HUD toggles off when camera is enabled. Manually toggle is END key. Cheers!

https://github.com/FransBouma/InjectableGenericCameraSystem/tree/master/Cameras/Prey

Tecnniqe

Banned

I've updated the camera tools, with support for the sys_flash cvar, found by Jonas Beckman using SunBeam's cvar finder cheat table. setting sys_flash to 0 disables the hud (and menu and in-game elements based on this system) so it's ideal for screenshots and if you want to play without a HUD. HUD toggles off when camera is enabled. Manually toggle is END key. Cheers!

https://github.com/FransBouma/InjectableGenericCameraSystem/tree/master/Cameras/Prey

Yeahboi!

Nice work!

cooly08

Thank you !

But do not activate the freecam with the HUD already deactivated. The hud won't come back and you will lose the hability to move too. At least it happend to me the first time.

nowai

I have put about 12 hours into the game and I think I'm just about at the end.

The game stayed around 110-140fps the 99% of the game, but the water treatment area was bad and the reactor core was absolute shit performance. Dropped to about 19fps in the reactor core.

OtisInf

Thank you !

But do not activate the freecam with the already deactivated. The hud won't come back and you will lose the hability to move too. At least it happend to me the first time.

the hud can always be brought back with the END key, did that not work for you ? The lack of ability to move is odd. Did you disable input to the game in the tools (Numpad .). If so, if freecamera is on, you can't control the menus, as nothing is reaching the game. So if you have enabled the camera and the menu is up, you can't close the menu as the input to the game is blocked. Disable the camera and things should be normal again. I can't reproduce what you have tho. Disabled the hud, enabled camera, then disabled camera, hud is back.

Though there was some weird thing with the hud toggle when I first tested it: I couldn't re-enable it, but I never ran into that again, so I couldn't see what caused it, and the code is OK...

cooly08

the hud can always be brought back with the END key, did that not work for you ? The lack of ability to move is odd. Did you disable input to the game in the tools (Numpad .). If so, if freecamera is on, you can't control the menus, as nothing is reaching the game. So if you have enabled the camera and the menu is up, you can't close the menu as the input to the game is blocked. Disable the camera and things should be normal again. I can't reproduce what you have tho. Disabled the hud, enabled camera, then disabled camera, hud is back.

Though there was some weird thing with the hud toggle when I first tested it: I couldn't re-enable it, but I never ran into that again, so I couldn't see what caused it, and the code is OK...

Ok, maybe it was the game, no clue.

Again nice work!

NattyDread

Neo Member
Really awesome tools Otis. Thanks for all the hard work on all the other ones too!
...too bad the game is butt-ugly, otherwise I might put in some effort... :)

Would be much more engaging if the player model was visible.

Jaker

Neo Member
The game stayed around 110-140fps the 99% of the game, but the water treatment area was bad and the reactor core was absolute shit performance. Dropped to about 19fps in the reactor core.

Holy shit, you weren't kidding. Just went through the reactor core myself and I'd go from 144 fps to 14 fps depending on which direction I was looking. Shocking.

2k as in 1440p?
Not possible via the r_supersampling command, sadly. r_supersampling = 2 will give you 5120x2880, r_supersampling = 1 is still 1440p and anything in between won't work.

2K is 2K. 1440p is 1440p.

He probably meant 1920x1080.

And if you don't want to mess with creating custom resolutions, you can actually edit the DSR settings to create any resolution in there that you want. I created a guide on how to do it. Not very hard, and will allow you to go beyond the max DSR resolution or create one more specific if that's what you want.

...too bad the game is butt-ugly, otherwise I might put in some effort... :)

It does seem rather underwhelming for CryEngine.

drotahorror

***382.05 nvidia driver fixes this, 60fps steady now.

Strange. I go from 144 fps looking straight in this room, to 27fps looking down.
*I see someone else pointed out this area as well.

if anyone wants to check it out, its in the powerplant section. You go down an elevator to get to this area

Everything is maxxed except AA is smaa 1x.

Figured it out.

Everything on low but Very high and High Shadow quality tanks the framerate in this particular area. I haven't had one drop until now. Medium shadow quality drops to 45. Low shadow quality is the only way I'm able to get 60fps while looking down in this room.

I have a 6700k and gtx 1080.

I do not have the latest nvidia drivers. I will check them out now.

*************Wow, did not expect drivers to fix this but it does. Everything max except AA like I said before, and steady 60fps looking down now.

And I spoke too soon, as I finished up the area, the framerate started getting erratic again.

Any news about Nvidia fixing the driver stutter issue? I experienced on the latest one, but it was completely gone when rolling back the drivers. Now it's smooth as butter. Also I noticed that the game is very CPU hungry. In fact, the CPU is at 70%-90% most of the time while the graphics card is chilling. The CPU is the 7700 HQ is it's not slow or anything like that. Just curious what people here are experiencing.

ISee

And if you don't want to mess with creating custom resolutions, you can actually edit the DSR settings to create any resolution in there that you want.

Not all monitors support custom resolutions, I'm aware of that, but I had no problems so far. Editing DSR factors to be able to set custom resolutions is like taking three turns right to make a left. It's a over-complicated solutions for simple task. But thanks for the tip.

The framerate in the reactor level was fine for me. ( 7700k/1080Ti, latest driver ) No stuttering at all.
However, the cargo bay area ran like dogshit
while I was running around trying to find turrets.
It smoothed out
after the firefight

A few questions for you guys.

I get a little stutter in the game (i'm running a 780Ti SLI rig). I downgraded the drivers from the latest to the one previous (so i'm now on 381.89). Is there anything else i need to do / can do to avoid the infrequent stutter? I'm getting about 100-120 fps.

I have a G-sync Monitor, but when i turn v-sync off in the game, i get tearing, Any idea why? Something i need to change in my Driver settings? I have g-sync turned on in there.

aaaaand the last thing,

I'm altering the file located here:

C:\Users\My Name\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey\game.cfg

to add :

r_ChromaticAberration = 0
r_Sharpening = 0
r_HDRBloomRatio = 0
r_MotionBlur = 0

but it's not making any difference, when i go back to the file, its just back to default (Even though im saving).

It does say:
-- Attention: This file is re-generated by the system! Editing is not recommended!

how are you getting around the game doing this?

Truant

I get a little stutter in the game (i'm running a 780Ti SLI rig). I downgraded the drivers from the latest to the one previous (so i'm now on 381.89). Is there anything else i need to do / can do to avoid the infrequent stutter? I'm getting about 100-120 fps.

I have a G-sync Monitor, but when i turn v-sync off in the game, i get tearing, Any idea why? Something i need to change in my Driver settings? I have g-sync turned on in there.

aaaaand the last thing,

to add :

r_Sharpening = 0
r_HDRBloomRatio = 0
r_MotionBlur = 0

but it's not making any difference, when i go back to the file, its just back to default (Even though im saving).

It does say:
-- Attention: This file is re-generated by the system! Editing is not recommended!

I think you have to add those to another new config file. Check the OP. It's not the one in your user folder, iirc.

JaseC

aaaaand the last thing,

to add :

r_Sharpening = 0
r_HDRBloomRatio = 0
r_MotionBlur = 0

It does say:

Try putting them in SteamApps\common\Prey\GameSDK\game.cfg instead. Create an autoexec.cfg file in the root of the game's installation folder and put them in there instead.

Stoze

The framerate in the reactor level was fine for me. ( 7700k/1080Ti, latest driver ) No stuttering at all.
However, the cargo bay area ran like dogshit
while I was running around trying to find turrets.
It smoothed out
after the firefight
The Cargo Bay was getting really stuttery for me as well, but then I restarted the game it and it was completely fine after.

pa22word

aaaaand the last thing,

to add :

r_Sharpening = 0
r_HDRBloomRatio = 0
r_MotionBlur = 0

It does say:

I had the same thing on my Gsync display for whatever reason, though I'm pretty sure it's probably due to DSR shenanigans confusing the game. Had to force the game to launch in 144hz mode via adding the cvar "r_overrideRefreshRate" to an autoexec.cfg in the game's directory.

It might also be that you're going /over/ your refresh rate and thus outside of Gsync range. Also try locking the game's FPS to a few under what your refresh rate is and see if it fixes it.

Paragon

You don't have to disable V-Sync to use G-Sync any more.
All it does is control what happens when the framerate goes outside of your monitor's refresh rate range. So if it goes near/above 144 FPS, it will tear on a 144Hz display.

Uhh i saw some people had a gamebreaking glitch happen to them that corrupts saves, is this a reocurring thing or very rare? Thinking of shelving this game until a patch is out if so.

nowai

Holy shit, you weren't kidding. Just went through the reactor core myself and I'd go from 144 fps to 14 fps depending on which direction I was looking. Shocking.

Okay, so I beat the game last night and did one of the optional quests to go back to the reactor core. The second time I went, there was obviously some effects or something not present because my performance was back to normal.

I should note that even dropping from very high to high the first time around did nothing to change frame rate. Seems like a poorly optimized area the first time you go in. I'd be curious to see other people's experience or even on console to see if the Reactor Core performs the same on PS4/Xbox.

Uhh i saw some people had a gamebreaking glitch happen to them that corrupts saves, is this a reocurring thing or very rare? Thinking of shelving this game until a patch is out if so.

I had this happen and all of the saves from that area would crash on load. I had to choose a previous save from a previous area about 30mins before. It never happened again, but I started saving before leaving a zone every time just in case.

noomi

Used steam mover to put the game onto my SSD hoping that it would significantly improve loading times.... sadly it did not. It is a bit better, but not was I was expecting from a very fast SSD drive.

Oh well :(

Top Bottom