• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) PC performance thread

aliengmr

Unfortunately, for me at least, the beta patch did nothing to address the SSR/SSDAO issue. From what I can tell the textures seem to disappear whenever I am looking at a certain area, like a Looking Glass screen.

Rizific

Sometimes I'm getting a screen full of black textures. Almost as if all the lights are out. But if I just look in a different direction, everything turns back to normal. Is there a fix for this?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sometimes I'm getting a screen full of black textures. Almost as if all the lights are out. But if I just look in a different direction, everything turns back to normal. Is there a fix for this?

That seems to be related to SSDO/SSR.

didamangi

Is there a way to lower the scale of the ingame resolution? Doom and BF1 have those settings. r_supersampling = 0.x doesn't work unfortunately.

IMO the biggest fix is that the Nightmare actually does something besides standing there. That seemed like such a wasted opportunity in the release version.

I dont know about that. I just encountered him in the
hardware labs
when I backtracked and he just stood there at the door doing nothing.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Unfortunately, for me at least, the beta patch did nothing to address the SSR/SSDAO issue. From what I can tell the textures seem to disappear whenever I am looking at a certain area, like a Looking Glass screen.

It fixed it for me though.

I still have an annoying bug that's been bothering me since the start. Everytime I reload the game, it shows the completion popup for "The corpse disappears" quest, with sounds and all. It's really annoying.

34EA4A604B81350D3791FF15FF4691AF0BB4BD30

how do i fix my textures disappearing, running on latest Radeon Drivers running AMD RX480

Sky87

Did FoV change somehow after the patch? My game.cfg still has it set to 90, but it feels way lower than what i remember from yesterday. Are there any more config files i have to edit now?

EDIT: Nvm, think it is the same as before.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
They still haven't added any HUD options? I refuse to play this until I can turn off objective marker permanently.

should i update to the latest drivers now that there is a patch out?

I downgraded due to a slight microstuter, is that addressed in the latest PC patch?

JaseC

should i update to the latest drivers now that there is a patch out?

I downgraded due to a slight microstuter, is that addressed in the latest PC patch?

The latest drivers specifically address the stuttering in Prey. That's why they came so quickly, and also why the OP no longer mentions downgrading as a workaround.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
It fixed it for me though.

I still have an annoying bug that's been bothering me since the start. Everytime I reload the game, it shows the completion popup for "The corpse disappears" quest, with sounds and all. It's really annoying.

I spoke too soon, I still have the problem in the lobby.

The latest drivers were released specifically to address the stuttering in Prey. That's why they came so quickly, and also why the OP no longer mentions downgrading as a means of working around the stuttering.

Oh shit i didn't realise there was a hotfix because stupid Geforce experience is only showing me that 382.05 is available. I see from your link in the OP that there is 382.19 to address this very issue.

JaseC

Oh shit i didn't realise there was a hotfix because stupid Geforce experience is only showing me that 382.05 is available. I see from your link in the OP that there is 382.19 to address this very issue.

Ah, haha. Yeah, I don't think GFE shows hotfix releases by default.

krainert

Neo Member
Many apologies if this has been asked and answered already (searched the thread and found nothing), but the game crashes circa once per hour here at seemingly random times (but never in combat, as I recall).
  • Windows 7 x64
  • i7-6700
  • 16 GB RAM
  • GTX 970
  • Running from non-OS SSD
Any ideas?

Justinian

Is anyone getting massive stuttering when turning to look towards cargo bay from space? Performance has been excellent so far, but this area almost grinds the game to a halt.

Stevey

Is anyone getting massive stuttering when turning to look towards cargo bay from space? Performance has been excellent so far, but this area almost grinds the game to a halt.

I had that problem, patch slightly improved it, but it's still there.

ISee

Many apologies if this has been asked and answered already (searched the thread and found nothing), but the game crashes circa once per hour here at seemingly random times (but never in combat, as I recall).
  • Windows 7 x64
  • i7-6700
  • 16 GB RAM
  • GTX 970
  • Running from non-OS SSD
Any ideas?

Can't remember reading about game crashes for prey, so maybe it isn't the game but something else.

If you are overclocking set everything back to normal and try again.

Check for temperatures while playing.

If your PC turns off and on again there could be a problem with your Power supply.

Install the latest nvidia drivers.

There are so many reasons why a system can crash. A bit hard to tell without further details. But yeah, it could also be somehow prey related.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be starting the game tonight, should I use the Nvidia beta drivers or not? Using a GTX 970.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
There's some serious performance issues in the Cargo Bay A (late game).

I don't know what's causing this or if it's related to the latest patch, but almost every time I move the camera really fast the game stutters a lot. Am I the only one who has this issue?

Nabs

I had serious performance issues in the
reactor
shortly after the cargo bay b. It was the first time I had any serious drops.

reactor
Yeah the
reactor
runs like hot shit. Definitely has something to do with it being the largest individual area that the game has loaded at any time.

Corpekata

Banned
Did the patch address the whole "you have to disable and then enable SSR to get it to work" thing? Havent played in a few days.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The 382.19s? Yeah. They were released specifically to address stuttering in the game.

I just installed them, fresh clean with DDU so hopefully everything will work well after dinner. From the little I've read in this thread it seems the game runs great apart from the
cargo area
which they'll hopefully patch before I get there. I'll post my experience later.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've just started the game and I'm already getting dips at the start when you're doing the tests, if I walk up to the window and pan my camera my FPS plummets from 60 to 40 for no apparent reason, even on the lowest settings it drops a few frames doing this. However, if I disable VSync the lowest I drop to is 65 in the same spot on very high preset. Is the VSync implemented poorly in this game or is there another reason for this? I was expecting a 100% 60fps locked experience after watching the DF analyse. I'm using a GTX 970, 3570k 4.3GHz, 16GB DDR3 2133, SSD, Windows 10.

I'll try forcing VSync from the Nvidia panel and see if it improves the situation.

EDIT: Disabling VSync in-game and forcing it along with TB in the NVCP stopped the sharp drops, I'm now at a rock solid 60fps, however now the camera movement is very jittery. I will try capping with Rivatuner next....

EDIT2: Disabling VSync entirely and capping my frame rate using RT has made the game very smooth, there's some very minor screen tearing but that's fine, much easier to tolerate than stutter and jittery camera movements. The only issue I'm having now is minor pauses sometimes when the game loads a new area it seems.

Zeneric

prey runs excellently on my 6600k oc'd to 4.5ghz, 16gb ddr4, ssd, and gtx 970 pc. maxed settings, 1080p, 60 fps. a little hic cup here and there. haven't gotten to the area yet that apparently makes the game stutter badly tho.

J_Viper

Okay I can't be the only one getting this fucking glitch where your weapon goes invisible?

Every time it happens, my computer hard locks. This has happened EIGHT times now. I've tried deleting and reinstalling, but that hasn't helped.

Any ideas?

Toybasher

Neo Member
Anyone else have "Slow" texture loading when changing weapons?

I have a 970 and 8gb of RAM. It's especially noticeable when I select the margrave shotgun, it takes a second or so for the texture to load. Like it's blurry for about a second.

Varna

I hate when stuff like this happens...

So my game was running fine. I saw there was some updated drivers to address issues with Prey. So I installed them and now it's running badly... lots of hitching when loading up.

reactor
Had the same issue. The weird thing is that I restarted the game and it was completely gone. But then it slowly started slowing down. It feels like some sort of draw call issue. Things that are rendered are not flushed or removed from the environment when leaving that particular area. It could also be a memory leak of some kind.

Samaritan

Did you use a value with six decimal places (you don't need to set the file to read-only)?

Default of 85.565590:

100.000000:

That did it! Strangely, by default, my FOV value was set to 85.5656, so when I set it to 100, I set it to 100.0000. Adding two more digits to the end did the trick. Thank you!

Is there any known way to change the FOV of the gun/hand model though?

Ruff

This is probably the smoothest install > play PC game I've ever played. Just threw all the settings on max and haven't gone below 100FPS anywhere in the game on my GTX1060 without any tinkering. Bloody WOW.

I was really worried after Arkanes effort with DH2 but whatever Engine this one is using is lovely.

Top Bottom