• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus - Sony VR headset prototype - unveiled

sjay1994

m_5328efeb0afab_s.jpg

PS4 i think is selling well because of the value for the price... If you require the camera, and this i see it being a small market off the hardcore.
The price on this thing will be huge determining factor i think.
$399 for the system, and potential camera, and this...price investment can potentially be huge...and before anyone flames me its just a scenario.

True, but it's not like it's mandatory. People who just wanted the system will still be able to buy the system by itself.

Orayn

what you mean?

camera and gyro gives 1:1 tracking.

This headset almost certainly has has gyros and accelerometers for motion and orientation tracking. Optically tracking the headset via PS4 camera rounds things out and gives you absolute position tracking as well.

Ugh. Another wonky peripheral. I ended up selling my Move because it ended up being useless -.-

Move didn't get that many good applications because it was Sony being LTTP on motion controls in a big way. This will probably launch much closer to the Oculus, making it one of the first modern consumer-level VR headsets.

Majukun

not good first impresion.
but more competition is always a good thing.

i wonder if that thing with the fact that we still have no date for the retail version of the oculus,is gonna make lose momentum to the oculus project

Akai__

Why? Oculus Rift is for PCs, Morpheus is for Sony hardware. They probably won't be competing directly, even if they are indirectly. And having a VR tech arms race wouldn't be a bad thing.

I don't know. I was hoping, they would get support from Microsoft or Sony. Maybe you are right.

nampad

Looks good. Thought it would be sleeker like the HMZ, now it is more similar to the Oculus Rift.
Happy that I have bought the KZ megabundle and already have two Move controller, which will make the investment a little bit less costly. Hope my big ass headphones can be used with these glasses.

The Cowboy

No reports on resolution/framerate/screen tech yet? That's kind of vital to the whole thing.
And weight, this is the kicker for me - these things need to be super light IMO. From the looks of any of these VR setups, I wouldn't want one simply because I wouldn't be willing to put up with the weight of them to play games (no matter how immersive they are).

The tech is getting there, and I can't wait for the day these things are very light and have great tech in them so they look awesome to.

jmood88

When I read these posts it makes me think of this
"But what...is it good for?" -- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.

and this

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?" -- David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.

Except neither of those things have anything to do with what I wrote. We already have a recent example (from Sony, no less) of how people are unwilling to pay for something that requires extra work from content providers and requires one to wear glasses. Now, after Sony went all-in on 3D and completely failed, we expect a high number of people to buy a bigger version of what was a hindrance for 3D (and possibly needing to buy a separate peripheral for it to work)?

Chopper

Full body tracking isn't an option, I've learnt today - the latency in even the better cameras like Kinect means it just doesn't work.

Sick burn. Kinda. Interesting though. But it's gonna be a long time til we see some actual games for this thing.

Disappointed this doesn't have a price, release window, and a supported games lineup. Is this something they show off and then it disappears like other tech companies do? Is it gonna be another gimmick like HOME? I want more concrete info like Apple does in their conferences

Paches

Disappointed this doesn't have a price, release window, and a supported games lineup. Is this something they show off and then it disappears like other tech companies do? Is it gonna be another gimmick like HOME? I want more concrete info like Apple does in their conferences

Yeah, that was never going to happen today.

ProphessorX

Neo Member
Can't wait for the learning curve where everyone is throwing up from dizziness. I can't even read in the car or while in motion. Must adapt!

To be fair, the conference is currently in progress.

DrkSage

Ok it will use PS move, but will it be a new one or will it be the old ps move controller?
If its the old one, I still have it laying around somewhere. I charge it every few months so it doesn't stop working or anything

Top Bottom