• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio will be called Xbox: Scorpio (Best Buy leak)

Status
Not open for further replies.

i don't like the name
i don't like the price (as starting price)
i don't like what Xbox is doing here and how all the goodwill they build up the last 2 years is getting a huge hit.

so yeah why would i buy the console if i dislike so much about it?
but hopefully this will be wrong and is not the case

The Lamp

That is their target market, not the masses. So it makes sense.

That's not a great argument for making a confusing naming scheme. PS4 Pro's market is hardcore gamers and they named their system something that obviously connects to the PS4 brand and tells people it's for hardcore gamers. Xbox One versus Xbox Scorpio is horrid branding confusion.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Very glad they've stuck with Scorpio naming. It's a very cool name, and signifies threat and power, just what they've going for.

That doesn't seem very clever (if it's true), should have been "Xbox One Scorpio", the current "Xbox One" logo + "Scorpio" with different font. People will get confused about wether it will play Xbox One games. By calling it "Xbox One Scorpio" they would also have had the opportunity to release an "Xbox Two Scorpio" further down the road.

rokkerkory

PR to whom? Casuals and mainstream audiences following...gaming websites and NeoGAF?

Nobody in the masses knows what a Scorpio is or if it's a new Xbox or what.

Because marketing hasn't started?

To be fair, most moms and dads dont even know what a ps4 pro is either

WadeitOut

i don't like the name
i don't like the price (as starting price)
i don't like what Xbox is doing here and how all the goodwill they build up the last 2 years is getting a huge hit.

so yeah why would i buy the console if i dislike so much about it?
but hopefully this will be wrong and is not the case

This has to be satire.

gamz

That's not a great argument for making a confusing naming scheme. PS4 Pro's market is hardcore gamers and they named their system something that obviously connects to the PS4 brand and tells people it's for hardcore gamers. Xbox One versus Xbox Scorpio is horrid branding confusion.

Pretty sure it'll confuse nobody. It's been the name for over a year.

Sticking with the code name is dope. Because the name is already in everyone's mouth. Why change it to make confusion
Only to Gamers who read IGN, and people like us who post on forums like NeoGaf.

Otherwise, NX code name was also in everyone's mouths, and thankfully that was changed to the Switch.

WadeitOut

Only to Gamers who read IGN, and people like us who post on forums like NeoGaf.

Otherwise, NX code name was also in everyone's mouths, and thankfully that was changed to the Switch.

Every single person who knows the Scorpio is a thing that exists knows it by that name. The Nintendo Switch is a brand new console being marketed at the world wide mass audience. The Scorpio is a niche high end Xbox One console and has always been that.

MilkyJoe

main.jpg

Via Wario

Same name was hinted at by Geoff Keighley:
DCDk-eIUQAA3ZCH.jpg

Gon1D8.jpg

I'm being stupid, but what here confirms it's called Scorpio?

jaypah

Gemüsepizza;240072548 said:
That doesn't seem very clever (if it's true), should have been "Xbox One Scorpio", the current "Xbox One" logo + "Scorpio" with different font. People will get confused about wether it will play Xbox One games. By calling it "Xbox One Scorpio" they would also have had the opportunity to release an "Xbox Two Scorpio" further down the road.

Right? They'll bring home an Xbox One game, put it in and whoops, it works. Satisfied customers all across the country. Sounds like a PR nightmare tbh.

But seriously, I don't think this is as confusing as people are making it out to be. I understand that people like to feel the masses are complete idiots and only the hardcore are smart but it'll be fine.

Lime

Scorpio is not a very good mass-market name though. The only demographic that I think will find it recognizable and appealing are 12-35 year old edgelords from the US. But then again, that's what Microsoft's branding and portfolio focus on with their guns, sports, and cars.

SDCowboy

Wouldn't this be confusing to the general public? It's still an X1 gaming platform, right? Not having that in the title seems odd to me.

vpance

Oh I agree it's weird overall. MS console names have been all over the map. I don't think it matters much though, this thing is going to be super niche.

Right? They'll bring home an Xbox One game, put it in and whoops, it works. Satisfied customers all across the country. Sounds like a PR nightmare tbh.

But seriously, I don't think this is as confusing as people are making it out to be. I understand that people like to feel the masses are complete idiots and only the hardcore are smart but it'll be fine.

No, they just won't buy this Xbox One game and might think that the new "Xbox Scorpio" doesn't have any games when they are standing in a store and only see "Xbox One" branding. You are overestimating what people know about consoles. Average people don't follow this stuff, especially parents. Calling it "Xbox One" with an added "Scorpio" makes much more sense than "Xbox Scorpio". It also means less problems and more possibilites with future consoles (for example, "Xbox Two Scorpio").

If it's true, then I can see confusion ensues.

People buying the console expecting to get a new generation of console will be dissapointed when it actually plays the same game. Pretty much the opposite of Wii U.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Retailers have all this information already available, ready to be put up immediately for pre-order pages, etc. as soon as MS announce it at the conference.

So why is it using an image from the eurogamer details? Wouldn't it be, you know, a picture of the console?

Dynomutt

If Sony is smart they should get an ad agency to paint the "Scorpio" name as demonic. Run it on all the televangelist channels lol
8_1447155416.jpg

Keep little Johnny away from Bobby's house Marsha...
Why?
Whispers....I heard his parents bought him a Scorpio...
Oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom