• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio will be called Xbox: Scorpio (Best Buy leak)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
That's also not he font MS has been using for the last 12 months.

Nope. Best Buy mocked this up themselves. Doesn't fall in line with any of the previous designs.

jaypah

Gemüsepizza;240073924 said:
No, they just won't buy this Xbox One game and might think that the new "Xbox Scorpio" doesn't have any games when they are standing in a store and only see "Xbox One" branding. You are overestimating what people know about consoles. Average people don't follow this stuff, especially parents. Calling it "Xbox One" with an added "Scorpio" makes much more sense than "Xbox Scorpio". It also means less problems and more possibilites with future consoles (for example, "Xbox Two Scorpio").

So they'll buy a Scorpio without knowing that it has any games at all? Or they'll not even buy the console because the games all say Xbox One? That seems....almost parody levels of negative. But maybe you're right!

Madness

Palabragrís;240064389 said:
If they do, congrats to them. It's a very good name.

No it isn't. Just like the Nintedo Dolphin. It is just a random codename. Xbox One was a really dumb name after Xbox and Xbox 360. This just dials it up even more. Xbox One 4K is a better name evem if half the games never hit native 4K. Still would put in people's minds that it is a 4k version over Xbox One S. Xbox Scorpio is stupid and if coupled with a $499 price, damn.

//DEVIL//

I like how they ditch the one brand name . Maybe might think it's a new generation since it's the most powerful console etc. Very brilliant idea

AHA-Lambda

How? It's still an xbox 1 gaming platform, is it not? Why not just call it an X1 Scorpio?

This, if it's called the Xbox One Scorprio then it's not so bad, but if it's just called Xbox Scorpio and that has to then sit alongside standard Xbox One consoles on a store shelf (and then the Xbox One games which run on both); it's all the ingredients for confusing the ever loving hell out of the mainstream consumer.

Just call the damn thing the Xbox One Pro, Xbox One 4K or whatever.

jaypah

Scorpio sounds like edgy teen stuff. Good thing they didn't go all the way and made a scorpion logo or something like that.

It's still early and we don't have any official marketing material. So stick around, you may see something like that.

They should just write scorpio in a font like it was one of those RC cars in the 90s.

35113021681_11589051df_c.jpg

Wagram

How? It's still an xbox 1 gaming platform, is it not? Why not just call it an X1 Scorpio?

Just a marketing move. It's not deceiving, but by omitting the One it'll lead the misinformed customer to believe it's something entirely new on its own.

The Lamp

Pretty sure it'll confuse nobody. It's been the name for over a year.

Can't wait to bump this thread in a year.
"Can my son play this Scorpio game on his Xbox One?"
"I wanted to get her the new Xbox to play the new Scorpio games but the system costs too much money" said moms everywhere around Christmas

Madness

Just a marketing move. It's not deceiving, but by omitting the One it'll lead the misinformed customer to believe it's something entirely new on its own.

Oh sweet look it's an Xbox Scorpio. I've always wanted a Scorpio. It is so much better than an Xbox One. When are you getting your Scorpio Timmy? We can all play with our Scorpios.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I get that it's because the name has stuck with everyone at this point, but it's still an awful name.

SDCowboy

I'm talking confusion, not deception. This would make it sound like it's a new gen when it's not (if that's the title). It plays X1 games that will, I assume, still have Xbox One on the boxes, so if the console is just the Xbox Scorpio, that would likely be highly confusing to the general consumer that doesn't follow this stuff.

Madness

Problem with just Scorpio is that outside the games community, average consumer doesn't know what it is. Are they going to have Xbox 360/Xbox One/Xbox Scorpio on the tops of cases for BC games. I mean their goal was to have games work seamlessly as well. Dropping One altogether changes that.

Pleased with this if true, everyone knows it by this and this saves any confusion by those less in-tune with the development of the Scorpio and how code names generally change.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Pleased with this if true, everyone knows it by this and this saves any confusion by those less in-tune with the development of the Scorpio and how code names generally change.

Everyone who knows about the Scorpio right now is an enthusiast who would also know about the name change to something more standard.

It's so funny to see the salt for 499.. it's a console that absolutely destroys the PS4 pro and your crying about a measly 100 dollars? Can't believe it.. I can't wait to be day zero no matter the price.

MartyStu

It's so funny to see the salt for 499.. it's a console that absolutely destroys the PS4 pro and your crying about a measly 100 dollars? Can't believe it.. I can't wait to be day zero no matter the price.

Come on man 100 is only ever measly if the transaction was already in the multi-thousands. Otherwise, it is significant.

Lacking other information so far, I think it is not irrational for people to be upset and vent a little. Later, we will see if there is any basis for feeling that way, but until then, just let it be.

I like the name a lot, but it's a little confusing if they don't call it Xbox One: Scorpio.

E3 is truly upon us.

synce

This looks like their approach with Windows 10. Redress the failure that was Windows 8 and distance themselves even further from it with a nonsensical name. I think it's a good call. But good luck getting many people to buy it at $500. That's PS3 launch territory, except the difference now is that many true enthusiasts are gaming on PC instead.

not even xbox one scorpio? really confusing is it supposed to be next gen is it support to be a samegen-upgrade like DSi, n3DS or PS4Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom