• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Spark Information Q&A

dejay

Banned
There's a million cool features we want to add, and not a lot of time, so we want to be careful not to promise anything until we know for sure it'll make it in.

Very wise to manage expectations; I'm sure the desired feature list is long and growing every minute. Nice to know it's on the list.

Hopefully success allows continuous improvements over time. New features added every month will keep people's interests up.

nbraun80

Very wise to manage expectations; I'm sure the desired feature list is long and growing every minute. Nice to know it's on the list.

Hopefully success allows continuous improvements over time. New features added every month will keep people's interests up.

ha yeah its definitely better to go that route, then promise a bunch of things that you might not have time for.

wwm0nkey

Hey Mike, if you guys can recreate a Megaman Battlenetwork fighting system in the next live stream I will buy all DLC for this game :)

nbraun80

Hey Mike, if you guys can recreate a Megaman Battlenetwork fighting system in the next live stream I will buy all DLC for this game :)

I'd like to see any mega man-like action. I wonder if you'll have to interact with things to ho into a battle sequence or if you can just set up a zone with the probability of enter one with each step un that area.

I wouldn't mind seeing in an upcoming live stream hoe you'd ser up a cinematic or cut scene with the camera going back and forth between to people talking to each other.

wwm0nkey

The way I see it working is when I walk have a random chance of going into a battle area with a random assortment of enemies depending on the area. Loot drops and card battle system would be tricky though

nbraun80

The way I see it working is when I walk have a random chance of going into a battle area with a random assortment of enemies depending on the area. Loot drops and card battle system would be tricky though

that sounds about right, I think you'd just have to invisibly outline the areas this happens in. Also they did show how to make a goblin drop a coin in the tower defense live stream, so I think you could set up a chance dropping system.

wwm0nkey

that sounds about right, I think you'd just have to invisibly outline the areas this happens in. Also they did show how to make a goblin drop a coin in the tower defense live stream, so I think you could set up a chance dropping system.
Wanna make a battle network game with me? lol

Project Spark looks incredible. I'm curious why it will be available on Xbox360 but not Windows 7 though.

Glad PC is supported nonetheless.

belushy

Banned
Project Spark looks incredible. I'm curious why it will be available on Xbox360 but not Windows 7 though.

Glad PC is supported nonetheless.

Probably just a way Microsoft is proving they are still going to support 360 I think. As for Windows 7, I think they just want to push Windows 8 a gaming OS. Like with Halo Spartan Assault. I'd be very happy if it was for Windows 7, also, but I have a Windows 8 laptop and a 360 so I think I'm covered. Sucks for people who doesn't have them though.

J10

Banned
well that second montage video done show that airplane transform into a ground unit. Or did you mean like the robotic look.

OK, I missed that. That's pretty cool. I can't wait to figure out how to do that. I started keeping a text file with a bunch of ideas for this and that's one of them.

nbraun80

OK, I missed that. That's pretty cool. I can't wait to figure out how to do that. I started keeping a text file with a bunch of ideas for this and that's one of them.

it should be interesting to try and figure all this stuff out first hand. Ha :)

Mike_Lescault

Neo Member
So, Mike, will you be able to use mouse when creating on Xbox One? Thanks for the reply.

It's definitely something we'd love to support, but we can't commit to having it as a feature until we have a better idea how much additional work (if any) it'll require to include.

-Mike

Team Dakota will be live streaming from PAX on twitch Saturday at 10 am pacific for those interested. :)
Sadly it is only a 20 minute stream. Best case I'm thinking maybe they'll reveal some new info or demo some community made games. Worst case scenario, cross roads demo.

But of course I'll be watching, I seriously can't get enough of this game.

Stampy

It's definitely something we'd love to support, but we can't commit to having it as a feature until we have a better idea how much additional work (if any) it'll require to include.

-Mike

Thanks for the reply. I really hope this will be possible, because otherwise Win 8 will probably be the best place to go for nuanced environmental creation, which would be a shame as Xbox One version is appealing for its Kinect functionality.

dejay

Banned
Thanks for the reply. I really hope this will be possible, because otherwise Win 8 will probably be the best place to go for nuanced environmental creation, which would be a shame as Xbox One version is appealing for its Kinect functionality.

If it's easy to upload and download from the cloud I can see both being used - xbox when motion capture and PC for everything else.

Stampy

If it's easy to upload and download from the cloud I can see both being used - xbox when motion capture and PC for everything else.

That's true, but for this you need to have both Win 8 computer and Xbox One. Not exactley an ideal solution.

Anyway, I can't wait to hear more about how mechanics of object movement work in this game (the movement of the created mech in the first trailer, or the transformation of the airplane to ground vehicle in the gamescom trailer). As far as I know this wasn't touched one bit in any of the info sessions?

J10

Banned
If motion capture and voice overs are happening, might there be a tool for composing original music and sound effects? Or would importing music and sound effects be a possibility?

Stampy

If motion capture and voice overs are happening, might there be a tool for composing original music and sound effects? Or would importing music and sound effects be a possibility?

You will be able to record music and sf, although with crappy sound quality (also depending on the level of moderation, those levels will probably be removed), but as far as drect importing, I wouldn't bet on it due to legal restrictions.

dejay

Banned
Kinect could probably be physically modified to accept a direct line, bypassing the mic. Not an ideal solution, but if there is no other way I'm sure more than one person will do it.

I'd probably do it, but I'd need an assurance that I'd be able to secure a replacement Kinect if I broke mine.

nbraun80

That's true, but for this you need to have both Win 8 computer and Xbox One. Not exactley an ideal solution.

Anyway, I can't wait to hear more about how mechanics of object movement work in this game (the movement of the created mech in the first trailer, or the transformation of the airplane to ground vehicle in the gamescom trailer). As far as I know this wasn't touched one bit in any of the info sessions?

that I'm kinda curious about too, if you build an mech out of a bunch of parts hoe do you get the left leg and right leg to function right? Should be interesting to find out.

also Mike, any hints on what we'll see Saturday? New information? :)

Acheteedo

Hi Mike_Lescault, we've got details about the playable space, but what about how many items/brains that can be crammed into each 25km^2 space? Surely there's a limit, have you guys made the XB1 chug by putting too much in? Will harsh limits be imposed to ensure that Xbox 360 games can run levels made on XB1? Or will we have the freedom to put the 360 under strain? Or perhaps highly-packed levels will be marked as such so 360 owners know not to bother with it?

Stampy

Hi Mike_Lescault, we've got details about the playable space, but what about how many items/brains that can be crammed into each 25km^2 space? Surely there's a limit, have you guys made the XB1 chug by putting too much in? Will harsh limits be imposed to ensure that Xbox 360 games can run levels made on XB1? Or will we have the freedom to put the 360 under strain? Or perhaps highly-packed levels will be marked as such so 360 owners know not to bother with it?

Your last option is highly improbable. The whole game will most likely be optimized based on the lowest specs (xbox 360), otherwise the whole idea of seamless platform sharing would be hugely corrupted. It’s really a shame from technical standpoint that MS forced 360 to be put into the picture, but then again the initial user base will automatically be huge from the release of the game.

Acheteedo

Your last option is highly improbable. The whole game will most likely be optimized based on the lowest specs (xbox 360), otherwise the whole idea of seamless platform sharing would be hugely corrupted. It’s really a shame from technical standpoint that MS forced 360 to be put into the picture, but then again the initial user base will automatically be huge from the release of the game.

Yeah that would be a shame, but as you say the user base will get a huge boost, and I guess the success of this game depends on the quality of the content produced, which will be vastly improved with thousands of extra content producers chiming in.

It just seems like restricting all content to 360's hardware will be extremely limiting, the game will surely be big on RAM requirements, right?

Mike_Lescault

Neo Member
also Mike, any hints on what we'll see Saturday? New information? :)

Oh yes, there will be some new information. :)

Hi Mike_Lescault, we've got details about the playable space, but what about how many items/brains that can be crammed into each 25km^2 space? Surely there's a limit, have you guys made the XB1 chug by putting too much in?

There'll be at least a theoretical limit, although we won't know for sure where that might be until all our optimization is complete. Gameplay-wise, it's unlikely to be much of an issue, especially with level linking.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I’m terrible with Twitter so I’m not sure if the tweet I made to the dev team came through so I figured I’d ask here now that I’m able to comment.

I was wondering if Project Spark will have support for using Key-value Pair collection constructs when doing brain programming. Even simple Arrays would be a valuable way to manage complex datasets. While I’m attempting to push my luck, will there be a way to source external data via something like Xml via web service or external/shared storage?

Mike_Lescault

Neo Member
I’m terrible with Twitter so I’m not sure if the tweet I made to the dev team came through so I figured I’d ask here now that I’m able to comment.

I was wondering if Project Spark will have support for using Key-value Pair collection constructs when doing brain programming.

Your tweet got through fine, the hitch was on my end. I wasn't sure I could adequately express the blank stare reaction I had to your question, in only 140 characters. I promise to check with our brain programmers today and return as an expert on Key-value Pair collection constructs to answer your question. :)

Even simple Arrays would be a valuable way to manage complex datasets. While I’m attempting to push my luck, will there be a way to source external data via something like Xml via web service or external/shared storage?

We don't currently have any plans for inputting external data sources.

-Mike

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Thanks Mike! :)
Your tweet got through fine, the hitch was on my end. I wasn't sure I could adequately express the blank stare reaction I had to your question, in only 140 characters. I promise to check with our brain programmers today and return as an expert on Key-value Pair collection constructs to answer your question. :)

Thanks for following up on this. There would be ways of working around this based on what I've gleamed from the live-streams so far but [I imagine] it would some things easier having such a feature. You guys are doing a great job with those streams and I hope your team keeps it up.

We don't currently have any plans for inputting external data sources.

-Mike

This is my version of "Aim at the stars to shoot at the moon". It never hurts to ask. I could think of many reason why you wouldn't do something like this but I got drunk off of the things you allowed already that I essentially asked if you would be able to call web services. I would've probably fainted had you answered yes :D

barugon

Probably just a way Microsoft is proving they are still going to support 360 I think. As for Windows 7, I think they just want to push Windows 8 a gaming OS. Like with Halo Spartan Assault. I'd be very happy if it was for Windows 7, also, but I have a Windows 8 laptop and a 360 so I think I'm covered. Sucks for people who doesn't have them though.

A "gaming OS" without Steam...

derFeef

Steam and Windows 8 don't play too friendly together, and to consider Windows 8 as a gaming platform without having quality access to a platform as huge as Steam's seems a bit silly.

No offense and a bit OT, but that's complete nonsense. I have yet to encounter a bigger problem with Steam.

barugon

No offense and a bit OT, but that's complete nonsense. I have yet to encounter a bigger problem with Steam.

It's not worth getting into here, but I ran with Windows 8 for a couple of months and had all sorts of gaming problems. 7 works beautifully and I'm happy to stick with it for now, but it is disappointing that I won't get to enjoy this.

nbraun80

It's not worth getting into here, but I ran with Windows 8 for a couple of months and had all sorts of gaming problems. 7 works beautifully and I'm happy to stick with it for now, but it is disappointing that I won't get to enjoy this.

puck up a cheap used 360 in January? Ha :)

Orca

I've been on Windows 8 and Steam since launch with no issues. Some weird driver issue?

Top Bottom