• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.
ENZtR.png

(visit the first two threads if you want information about hardware and the launch titles)

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere
PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released
PS Vita general discussion thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita
PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

First of all, add yourself on the GAF Vitabro friendlist (thanks Takao!)

z1TLC.png

Hardware Questions
Q: How big is the Vita compared to the 3DS?
A: Watch this comparison photo or this comparison video.

Q: How long is the battery life compared to the 3DS?
A: You'll get about four hours of gaming from it. You can read a more detailed breakdown here or here. If you're playing a less demanding title or a PSP game it will last longer.

Q: Is the Vita region free?
A: Yes, but you can only have one account activated at a time and online passes are region restricted.

Q: Are memory cards region free?
A: Yes, they are. Yoshida have been telling EU users to import 32 GB cards from the US.

Q: Does the Vita allow TV and Audio Out?
A: The Vita does support audio out, however the launch model Vita does not support video out.

Q: Question, do the thumbsticks click in? Like on a Call of Duty game for running.
A: No.​

Software Questions
Q: Is the PS Vita backwards compatible?
A: You can play some PSP games (see detailed list below). Select PS1 Classics are compatible since fw 1.80(see Compatibility list below). There are no current plans to make PS2 Classics or PSN games compatible.

Q: Is there a discount for buying the games digitally from the PSN store?
A: There will be some kind of discount. (source)

Q: Will PS+ members get an additional discount?
A: Yes, PS+ comes to Vita in november.

Q: Is there some kind of UMD trade-in program?
A: No.

Q: How do I download full games on the device?
A: You can only download games directly with the Vita or transfer them from a PS3. There are currently no other ways.

Q: Is there a way to watch YouTube videos?
A: Yes, there is now a YouTube app.

Q: Can you backup full games from your memory card to your PC using the Vita and the CMA application?
A: Yes.

Q: Is there a way to only backup your Vita save game files?
A: Yes, but it's a bit more complicated. Read more here.

Q: Is there a way to transfer PSP save games to a Vita?
A: Yes, follow the instructions in this post.

Q: Which memory card should you buy?
A:
• No Memory Card: Not even an option. Unless you are buying this thing for one game which doesn't save on memory card.
• 4 GB: If you go full physical, try some demos, get some mini games digital.
• 8 GB: If you go mainly physical, maybe one full digital game on memory cart, mini games, some PSP stuff.
• 16 GB: If you go mainly digital, full games, mini games, PSP games, some music & videos may need some rotation.
• 32 GB: If you go full digital, full/mini/PSP games, music & videos, pull stuff like "disgaea collection, persona collection, final fantasy 1-10 collection"​

Account/Regional Questions
Q: Can I use multiple PSN profiles or different regional accounts on a single Vita?
A: Yes. Read this post for detailed instructions.

Q: How do I switch PSN account on my Vita?
A: Read this post.​

PSP Questions
Q: How do I access the PSP emulator settings?
A: While playing a PSP game, press and hold a finger on the touchscreen for a little while. The menu will pop-up, giving you the option to assign buttons to the right analog stick plus more.

Q: Is it true that most PSP games are incompatible with the PS Vita?
A: The list Sony posted here is incomplete. Resourceful NeoGAF members have helped us compile the list below. You can transfer these via a PS3 instead of downloading them from the Vita store. Please notify me if you find any errors in the lists.​

Troubleshooting Questions
Q: My Vita seems to be frozen, when I turn it off it doesn't turn back on or the PS logo flashes blue what do I do?
A: First off, obviously make sure your Vita hasn’t just run out of power, or hasn’t overheated in sunlight (in which case, simply leave it somewhere shady to fully cool). Then, hold down your power button from about 30 seconds until you see the repair menu. Try restarting the system first. If that works, great! It was just a little glitch, everything is ok. If the problem keeps reoccurring when you play a certain digital game, delete it and re-download. Still not working? Follow this guide.​

Compatibility List

Official threads for Vita games
Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (PSV) |OT| Play for 10 Million Hours!
Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational |OT| You're invited too!
Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita
Lumines: Electronic Symphony |OT| Shake Ya Body
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!
MLB 12: The Show |OT| Elevated levels of testosterone included
Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition |OT| Because "ultimate" is so 1995.
MotorStorm RC |OT|
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus (Vita) |OT| A port of a port, of course, of course
Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth
Resistance Burning Skies |OT| Extinguishing the Flames of Vitality
Ridge Racer (Vita) |OT| The Death of a Once Great Franchise
Super Stardust Delta (Vita) |OT| How to Refine Perfection
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack |OT| - Indie Action For Vita Launch
The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton
Touch My Katamari |OT| Touch, Squeeze, and Pinch
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes
Uncharted: Golden Abyss |OT| Drake arrives at a smaller screen near you!
Unit 13 |OT| Tactical Shooter on the Go (Vita)
WipEout 2048 |OT| Back to the Future
LittleBigPlanet Vita |OT| Touch my sack ... boy

Official threads for Vita apps

Links
Playstation Vita Games: What does this thing have? @ NeoGAF
The PlayStation Vita In 2011-2012 @ NeoGAF
Upcoming VITA Games & Apps Throughout 2012 Thread @ NeoGAF
PlayStation Vita Screenshots | OS Level Captures @ NeoGAF
Playstation Vita wallpaper thread | Customizing dat OLED screen @ NeoGAF
PS Vita BC thread of visual effects settings @ NeoGAF
Find a GAFer to play with @ Google Docs (hidden link, quote post to view it)
VITA Newb/N00b Q&A @ NeoGAF

PlayStation Mobile Developer Program (Vita & Android) @ NeoGAF
PlayStation Mobile SDK information @ NeoGAF

Playstation Vita Online Manual @ Playstation.net
Content Manager Assistant for Playstation (Windows) @ Playstation.net
Content Manager Assistant for Playstation (Mac) @ Playstation.net
Welcome to PlayStation Vita @ Playstation.blog
How to Download PSP Titles to PS Vita @ Playstation.blog

Registering access points (used by Near) @ Skyhook
How to Switch PSN Accounts on PS Vita @ YouTube (IGN)
How to Switch PSN accounts EASILY FAQ @ GameAxis Forums

Wallpapers @ Playstation Vita Wallpapers​

All credit goes to archnemesis. The OP is a work in progress. If you feel like anything is incorrect or want to add something, don't hesitate to contact me. Thanks to the NeoGAF community for helping out with the correcting of errors and filling out the FAQ!

Deserves much love. Vita gets completely shat on here at GAF. It's had a rocky start but it's a great system with a good lineup of games.

Omlagus

Woohoooo! OT5!!

TurkishEmperor, I think some of those FAQ's need to be updated, if this is to be a source for new Vita owners. In particular, the one stating PS1 games aren't compatible and the one about no PS+. Just noticed those on a quick scan through.

Takao

Banned
Personally, I'm fond of "Ain't got no games? Must be insane" but that's like a quasi Cypress Hill reference.

zroid

Banned
One other thing, why is the title in quotations? "Summer 2012" was actually intended to be a quote, otherwise I don't think it's needed. Looks weird!

Nice title; I've referred to the Vita as The King various times while talking to a Vita-owning non -believer...

I love the Vita, and I believe it honestly had the best launch lineup in quite a while, including the upcoming Wii U in my opinion. Just waiting for OS folders and 64GB memory cards!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fresh thread, fun.

Fresh Thread idea: Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time, even as a PSP game, is the best RPG on Vita. Between it, going back into Alundra, Disgaea 3, a bunch of PS1 imports via PSN, some NeoGeo games, and all the stuff coming out in the next 2 months, I honestly feel like the Vita has TOO MANY awesome games!

Wish I had known there was a PSV side to the PSASBR Beta that popped up, though. With no PS3, I saw no reason to sign up previously, but I'd have enjoyed trying out the Vita version.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
To commemorate the new thread, I just bought a brand new copy of little big planet vita. Can't wait to reach home and play it!

spats

I'm playing LBP Vita while posting in the new Vita thread. Turbo meta. Not fond of the thread title at all but what are you gonna do.

Shinriji

Fresh thread, fun.

Fresh Thread idea: Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time, even as a PSP game, is the best RPG on Vita. Between it, going back into Alundra, Disgaea 3, a bunch of PS1 imports via PSN, some NeoGeo games, and all the stuff coming out in the next 2 months, I honestly feel like the Vita has TOO MANY awesome games!

Wish I had known there was a PSV side to the PSASBR Beta that popped up, though. With no PS3, I saw no reason to sign up previously, but I'd have enjoyed trying out the Vita version.

You should add me: Shinriji

And put the Google Docs Vitabros link.

Now have a 32 and 16GB card, thinking that I will just sell the 16GB for now and pick up another should I end up getting tight for space on the 32, all depends on what they plan on giving us on PS+

I'm in a bit of a pickle as I want to replace some physical games that I lost like Everybodys Golf, it's £11.99 on the store at the moment, but have a feeling it will be one of the first games to be given on + so not sure whether to take the gamble or not.

Bluforce

5 official topics (ever in first pages) for an awesome console that nobody want to buy!

Men, women, go to buy a PS Vita! Now!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So, I'm certain everyone has purchased LBP, yes?

I hated the first on PS3, but this is a charming game. Controls feel a lot better.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I'm in a bit of a pickle as I want to replace some physical games that I lost like Everybodys Golf, it's £11.99 on the store at the moment, but have a feeling it will be one of the first games to be given on + so not sure whether to take the gamble or not.

Yeah I'd hold out a bit longer, I'm thinking the same also, I initially went retail with a few games but want to replace them with digital versions, Everybody's Golf being the first, it's very temping at £11.99.

Shikoro

I got in even though I didn't sign up. Guess I was lucky. :p

It's just a shame that I can barely connect with anyone and finish one round. Damn NAT Type 3...

Yeah I'd hold out a bit longer, I'm thinking the same also, I initially went retail with a few games but want to replace them with digital versions, Everybody's Golf being the first, it's very temping at £11.99.

I recently lost 6 retail games that were in a carry case, fortunatley I picked up Gravity Rush free on PSN from Sony. Just grabbed Lumines for £13.99 on Amazon, the others that I want to replace really are MGS:HD and Everybodys Golf, think I will just play through what I have at the moment and then see what comes along in November.

Yaska

Just off to drop my Vita to maintenance, hopefully they will fix it this time ( still got bricked one).

For blue light of death, if none of the recovery modes option work, and you can't turn off the console, let the battery run out, charge the console and you should be back rolling. If it tilts in the power saving mode again, you're screwed.

ascii42

New thread already? Well, at least the Vita is popular here, I guess. I've been loving mine recently. Can't wait to beat LBP on my PSP, then I'll play the Vita one.

Still waiting on them to integrate DLNA like was on their presentation slide. Seems people have forgotten about this yet it would be such an awesome addition to the firmware to be able to stream movies over a network.

VanWinkle

Has anybody found any good user-created LBP Vita levels yet? I haven't played the game since the first day the servers went up (except to check it a couple of days ago to see if anything looked interesting), because there were no good levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom