• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

I'm a little confused with the information overload at the moment. Hoping some kind soul can help me out with this:

My Phat PS3 is on the original 3.55 custom firmware - I remember patching the pup file manually and installing.

However, recently it's stopped playing Blurays. It originally happened when I tried to play a recent-ish Bluray, but I think by doing that, it flagged up to the PS3 that my keys are old/invalid, and now every single Bluray refuses to play on it.

If I upgrade to one of the new versions of cfw, will it automagically fix this for me?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm a little confused with the information overload at the moment. Hoping some kind soul can help me out with this:

My Phat PS3 is on the original 3.55 custom firmware - I remember patching the pup file manually and installing.

However, recently it's stopped playing Blurays. It originally happened when I tried to play a recent-ish Bluray, but I think by doing that, it flagged up to the PS3 that my keys are old/invalid, and now every single Bluray refuses to play on it.

If I upgrade to one of the new versions of cfw, will it automagically fix this for me?
Yes, the Bluray keys are updated, so newer discs now work.

That was actually the main reason I went through with the CFW update. I was about to drop $150 on a new bluray player because the number of unplayable discs was starting to pile up.

Yes, upgrading automagically fixes it. Use Rogero 4.30 1.0

Wildesy

Is Rogero 4.30 launching the game in the disc drive automatically for anyone else on start up or is that just me?

Got the latest version of Multiman. Now i can actually go into it and view all my backed up games. I put a disc in drive, selected a game that was previously working and didn't have an eboot (Ferrari Challenge, i ripped it myself), but right now i'm stuck watching the little sprites that come up when you first start up the ps3. So close...

Any way to downgrade from 4.21 back to 3.55Kmeaw?

edit: im getting Rogero CEX4.30 and hoping i can go from 4.21>4.30 and everything will work from there. though before that i might try downgrading using a downgrader 'pup' and what not. I'm a retard when it comes to this stuff but somehow i always end up getting it done.

Edit Edit: Do i need a BDEmu? I installed a 3.55 BDemu. Is there a 4.21 one?

MM handles BDEmu these days, you don't need to worry about it. And yeah you can downgrade from 4.21 to 3.55 if the straight upgrade doesn't work. Hopefully it does though, saves a bit of hassle.

Tess3ract

Banned
Is Rogero 4.30 launching the game in the disc drive automatically for anyone else on start up or is that just me?

MM handles BDEmu these days, you don't need to worry about it. And yeah you can downgrade from 4.21 to 3.55 if the straight upgrade doesn't work. Hopefully it does though, saves a bit of hassle.
you can turn it off in options

Is there a new guide for updating from KMEAW 3.55 to Rogero 4.30 with links? I want to pull the trigger on this, but would also like to wait for a more stable 4.30. Arrrghhhh, decisions, decisions.

Is there a new guide for updating from KMEAW 3.55 to Rogero 4.30 with links? I want to pull the trigger on this, but would also like to wait for a more stable 4.30. Arrrghhhh, decisions, decisions.

Rogero's official outlet of releasing information is http://www.tortuga-cove.com/

Here's a direct link to the thread started by Rogero which contains full instructions and downloads. http://www.tortuga-cove.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=3708

You can play the waiting game, but the truth is nothing is ever 100% brick proof, and updating from KMEAW 3.55 is not that risky with this firmware. Always search for complications related to your specific model of PS3, but this one looks pretty safe so far.

I just dusted off an old folder full of PSOne games, is it possibly to rip these to the hard drive like we've been doing with our PS3 games?

I know I've ripped a few to my PSP, on my computer, so I have some image files already waiting too, but I never bothered to figure out how to launch them on PS3. I'm sure there must be some way?

jediyoshi

Surprised there's still no ps3 homebrew that could just scan eboots and patch them without needing a computer, seems like something mm would've tried implementing by now

Sarquiss_

Follow this and you'll be fine: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/3.55_to_Rogero_4.21_Guide

Obviously download Rogero 4.30 instead of 4.21. 4.30 is stable btw, I haven't seen anyone brick because of it.

I am on KMEAW 3.55 so is there any need to go to OFW 3.55 before installing 4.30??? Not clear on why this needs to be done.

Thanks for any insight :)

Also, anyone who has Fifa 13 can you confirm whether the career mode freezes anymore when playing on CFW 4.30???

I am on KMEAW 3.55 so is there any need to go to OFW 3.55 before installing 4.30??? Not clear on why this needs to be done.

Also, anyone who has Fifa 13 can you confirm whether the career mode freezes anymore when playing on CFW 4.30???

Fat PS3's are still bricking. Do not risk losing your backwards compatible PS3s. :-/

I warned my friend and now he's SOL. >.>

colt45joe

Banned
with rogero 4.30 cfw is it possible to go on psn and buy games?

Been using the E3 CFW 4.30 - everything works fine. Been able to buy and install stuff from the PSN store. Had to delete and re-download Netflix but that was the only hitch so far.

Multiman 4.08.01 works with it as well

nvm..

Hesemonni

Banned
A stupid question so flame away, why to reliance to 3.55 and what makes it so hard for, let's say, OFW 4.30 to be jailbroken?

cameron

A stupid question so flame away, why to reliance to 3.55 and what makes it so hard for, let's say, OFW 4.30 to be jailbroken?

IIRC, with OFW higher than 3.55, Sony patched all publicly known exploits/vulnerabilities. That's why all current CFW require an exploitable FW (e.g. OFW 3.55) as a base to install from.

Wildesy

It's just a safety precaution and it also makes it easier for devs to identify problems if they start appearing. I went from kmeaw to 4.30 though for what it's worth. I've got FIFA 13 so I'll try when I get home tonight and report back.

Fat PS3's are still bricking. Do not risk losing your backwards compatible PS3s. :-/

I warned my friend and now he's SOL. >.>

I don't think that's actually true. All models have been confirmed to work fine with 4.30 if upgraded correctly. Are you sure he wasn't using one of the earlier Rogero releases for 4.21?

deano469

Neo Member
I followed the guide on pshomebrew.net to update the firmware on my Phat to Rogero 4.30 and had no issues whatsoever, everything is working tickety boo :)

Bittercup

There's a complicated cryptography behind it but basically it works like this. You have a private key to sign and a matching public key to verify if something was properly signed and more important is the fact if properly used there is no way to get what the key was that was used for signing.
Sony made a stupid mistake ("epic fail") to not use proper randomization in the calculation which then enabled hackers to simply calculate the keys used for signing and as long as you have the signing-keys, everything you sign looks official. The highest known are for 3.55 this is why it will always be possible to sign for 3.55.
With 3.56 onwards Sony uses proper randomization for the keys therefore it's not longer possible to get the keys and sign CFWs to look official for PS3s with higher firmwares and this won't change as long as someone finds a completely new exploit but it's hard to say if this will happen.
If you're interested in the maths behind it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptic_Curve_DSA

TriAceJP

I've had a CFW PS3 for awhile, but I never really used it.

Now that I can take screen shots, I will be using it a lot more! I do reviews for games but never did PS3/360 games because I couldn't get a screen shot.

I assume running games from discs isn't an issue now that its past 3.55, right?

N.A

Banned
This is only of benefit to pirates of the caribbean, no? Serious question, as I don't have a huge knowledge of the CFW scene ... learning as I go.

Can decrypt eboots etc. so people on lower firmwares can play. NPDRM keys will be able to decrypt PS2 Classics, maybe someone can work out a way to access that emulator :p

Tess3ract

Banned
All public keys up to 4.25 just got leaked including NPDRM.
BAM.

Actually it's even worse than that.

LV0 4.25, LV2 4.25, LV0 4.30 and LV0 4.31 Dumped and Decrypted!

That's right, it looks like an Anonymous source has posted the LV dumps from the latest PS3 Firmwares.

LV0 4.25, LV2 4.25, LV0 4.30 and LV0 4.31 are all included...

Ok guys let’s take a big step there is the lv0 4.25 decrypted (elf) you should able to find the keys for the lv2/lv1/appldr

Boot Loader SE Version 4.2.5 …(Build ID: 4859,49406, .Build Date: 2012-09-10_13:48 :01)……..SDK Version

and here some cool info 4.2.5 sys.lv0.version. 4859 sys.lv0.revision sys.lv0.address. sys.lv0.size sys.flash.fmt sys.flash.ext sys.flash.boot sys.wake_source. sys.ac.sd sys.ac.misc sys.qaf.qafen sys.hw.config sys.hw.config_ve rsion sys.hw.model_emu late sys.cellos.flags sys.cellos.spu.c onfigure sys.ac.misc2. sys.sata.param sys.ac.product_c ode sys.boot.gos

[UPDATE #1] LV0 for PS3 firmware 4.31 has released

Boot Loader SE Version 4.3.1 …(Build ID: 4906,49507, .Build Date: 2012-10-25_22:18 :34)

jediyoshi

For scetool, can you just fix eboots for game updates like regular game eboots? Noticing a lot of fixed update eboots online going up now are just pkgs with updates, would rather just manually apply fixes myself

test_account

XP-39C²
Leak as in got leaked from Sony or some team discovered them by doing something?

Edit: ^ thanks, so it was an anonymous source after all.
It was discovered through hacking.

Any hope if have OFW above 3.55?
Not at the moment.

Anyone want to explain what this news means?
Nothing much really. After CFW 4.30, everything else will be kinda "pointless". N.A mentioned that maybe the PS2 emulator could be used for other games, and it can be possible to play newer games on older firmware. But besides that, nothing that is of much use.

What's the barrier stopping people with newer machines that cant downgrade past 3.60, installing higher version CFW?

Here's a quote from someone in the scene, explaining it better than I can.

Wololo said:
The problem is that we need a way to convince the PS3 to flash our modified firmware. With 3.55 and below that was easy enough to do because of the keys recovered, but 3.56 and later change that so that flashing is more complex than just using the recovered keys. This isn’t an insurmountable problem – hardware flashers will always work – but for easy software flashing we need to find new exploits in the PS3 software stack to convince OFW consoles to flash CFW

test_account

XP-39C²
Here's a quote from someone in the scene, explaining it better than I can.
Speaking of this, have anyone tried to flash an i.e OFW 4.30 over to CFW 4.30 without downgrading first? Not necessarily anyone here in this thread, but have anyone heard of something like this? Wololo words it like that just flashing it will work fine.

Speaking of this, have anyone tried to flash an i.e OFW 4.30 over to CFW 4.30 without downgrading first? Not necessarily anyone here in this thread, but have anyone heard of something like this? Wololo words it like that just flashing it will work fine.

I think he's referring to consoles that shipped with 3.55 or lower being able to hardware flash (by way of downgrading to 3.55 first). If the console never had 3.55, I'm not sure even a hardware flasher can get CFW up and running.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think he's referring to consoles that shipped with 3.55 or lower being able to hardware flash (by way of downgrading to 3.55 first). If the console never had 3.55, I'm not sure even a hardware flasher can get CFW up and running.
It could be. When he says "This isn’t an insurmountable problem", it could be understood that 'this' is referring to consoles above 3.56, because this is what he mentioned prior to that. But he is probably just talking about downgrading, yeah.

Top Bottom