• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

gtmax

Here's where i am in case anyone is in the same situation, and can offer help or solidarity lol.

from CFW3.55>4.21 (Following PSHomebrew instructions to the letter). I'm on a slim, btw. Installation seemed fine but then sort of timed out. Manually turned ps3 off. Powered back and see Rogero upon startup. Nothing works in terms of backed up games, playing games off of xmb, etc. Replaced Multiman to latest version. Now i can access backed games but when i try to play one, nothing but little stars dancing around.

Have to manually turn off system. Tried going from 4.21>4.30Rog to no avail. Downloading a Downgrader pup 4.25>3.55 (yes i know i was under 4.21 but that's what i found). System actually found the update on usb and started going...until i did the QAToggle.pkg thingy. I got the beeps but system froze again with the stars in the background.

Manually turned off system, checked version and seems i'm on the 'hybrid' 4.21. I can access MM, Showtime, view backed games, but if i try and play a game, can't get past the little stars in background. Played a game off a disc (F1'06) to make sure my system was functional. Worked no problems until i tried to quit by pressing PS button. Had to manually shut off.

So i'm on 4.21 hybrid, if i'm not mistaken, and looking to either go up to 4.30 or, ideally, back down to CFW3.55.

I'd pay cash money for some useful help here...

If anyone knows a shop in NYC that can bring me back down to 3.55 hook a brother up!

Wildesy

Here's where i am in case anyone is in the same situation, and can offer help or solidarity lol.

from CFW3.55>4.21 (Following PSHomebrew instructions to the letter). I'm on a slim, btw. Installation seemed fine but then sort of timed out. Manually turned ps3 off. Powered back and see Rogero upon startup. Nothing works in terms of backed up games, playing games off of xmb, etc. Replaced Multiman to latest version. Now i can access backed games but when i try to play one, nothing but little stars dancing around.

Have to manually turn off system. Tried going from 4.21>4.30Rog to no avail. Downloading a Downgrader pup 4.25>3.55 (yes i know i was under 4.21 but that's what i found). System actually found the update on usb and started going...until i did the QAToggle.pkg thingy. I got the beeps but system froze again with the stars in the background.

Manually turned off system, checked version and seems i'm on the 'hybrid' 4.21. I can access MM, Showtime, view backed games, but if i try and play a game, can't get past the little stars in background. Played a game off a disc (F1'06) to make sure my system was functional. Worked no problems until i tried to quit by pressing PS button. Had to manually shut off.

So i'm on 4.21 hybrid, if i'm not mistaken, and looking to either go up to 4.30 or, ideally, back down to CFW3.55.

I'd pay cash money for some useful help here...

If anyone knows a shop in NYC that can bring me back down to 3.55 hook a brother up!

After you downgrade to the hybrid 4.21 (assuming that is actually what you're on, it's hard to tell if it actually installed), you're then meant to install Roger 3.55 v3.7. Did the initial downgrade PUP actually finish installation? It reads like you tried to toggle QA during the installation which doesn't really make sense. It sounds like you are skipping steps or just not following the guide completely/following the right guide.

This is the guide you should follow to the letter;
- Downgrading back to 3.55 is always possible using the following steps :
- Download the Downgrader PUP ---> Downgrader PUP mirror ---> Downgrader PUP
Size 176MB (184,595,263 bytes) MD5: 49d80e07fc1f5ca1b0840e02e94635db
- Rename the downloaded file to "PS3UPDAT.PUP" and put it on your USB in: "USB\PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP"
- While on Rogero CFW4.30, go to System Update from XMB and install the Downgrader PUP.
- After the Downgrader PUP installs you'll be on a hybrid CFW3.55 that will still shows ver4.21/4.30 from system settings.
- Enable QA flag by following these steps:

1- Download the Rebug QA_Toggle package from here ---> toggle_qa.pkg
2- Put the "toggle_qa.pkg" on USB and Install it on the PS3.
3- Run the "Rebug Toggle QA" from XMB, the screen will go Black and you will see HDD Led activity then if all went fine you will hear 2 or 3 Beeps and the PS3 will Restart back to XMB.
4- If you want to make sure QA flag was set, go to "Network Settings" then apply the following key combo (all at the same time):

L1 + L2 + L3 (press left stick) + R1 + R2 + dpad_down

You should see Edy Viewer, Debug Settings, and Install Package Files if done correctly.

- Now put "Rogero CEX-3.55 CFW V3.7" on your USB in: "USB\PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP" ---> Rogero CEX-3.55 CFW V3.7.PUP
- Start the PS3 into Recovery Menu and install "Rogero CEX-3.55 CFW V3.7" (from Recovery Menu, this is important)
- Once you're back on Rogero CFW3.55 v3.7 Start the PS3 into Recovery Menu and install any CFW 3.55/4.21/4.30.

It seems to me you stopped and didn't finish the bolded part. Personally, I'd start again from the top of this guide, following it to a T. If you are already downgraded, it shouldn't cause any problems running the downgrade PUP again. If you are already or when when you're definitely on the hybrid 4.21, then toggle QA (make sure you do this or it won't detect the next update) and then install Rogergo CFW V3.7 from the recovery menu.

Get to that point and let us know how it goes. Good luck, I know it can be a bit frustrating but I think your system is still fine so don't stress too much just yet.

Yeah I upgraded mine yesterday and everything worked a treat.

You need to go 4.21 > Hybrid 4.21/3.55 > QA_Toggle > 4.30

I actually installed the hybrid twice because it went straight to the XMB and felt a little too fast, and I couldn't tell if it was installed or not because the firmware version still shows as 4.21, but when I reinstalled it again, I had the message along the lines of 'please update to a firmware of 3.55 or higher', at the recovery menu, confirming it was fine.

If I were you, I run the hybrid CFW again, just incase, then try the qa_toggle, then the 4.30.

Surreality

Neo Member
Rebug just released their 4.XX CFW - 4.21.1 'REX'. Looks to be mix of functionality from CEX and DEX firmwares. Looks very tasty!

Kokonoe

Banned
Pardon me as I'm sure this is asked quite a bit, my searching has lead to no avail.

Are there any ways to downgrade firmware past 3.56 to 3.55 without hardware(Nand Dumpers etc)?

Tess3ract

Banned
Pardon me as I'm sure this is asked quite a bit, my searching has lead to no avail.

Are there any ways to downgrade firmware past 3.56 to 3.55 without hardware(Nand Dumpers etc)?
if you were at one time on 3.55 or lower, no unless you do a nand dump/rewrite

If you were never on 3.55 or lower, you can't do anything.

gtmax

After you downgrade to the hybrid 4.21 (assuming that is actually what you're on, it's hard to tell if it actually installed), you're then meant to install Roger 3.55 v3.7. Did the initial downgrade PUP actually finish installation? It reads like you tried to toggle QA during the installation which doesn't really make sense. It sounds like you are skipping steps or just not following the guide completely/following the right guide.

This is the guide you should follow to the letter;

It seems to me you stopped and didn't finish the bolded part. Personally, I'd start again from the top of this guide, following it to a T. If you are already downgraded, it shouldn't cause any problems running the downgrade PUP again. If you are already or when when you're definitely on the hybrid 4.21, then toggle QA (make sure you do this or it won't detect the next update) and then install Rogergo CFW V3.7 from the recovery menu.

Get to that point and let us know how it goes. Good luck, I know it can be a bit frustrating but I think your system is still fine so don't stress too much just yet.

That's the guide i followed. But you might be right in that the install might not have gone all the way through. I remember staring at my tv as the %'s were increasing, then looking away for a second and the tv was black like it had finished, but it wasn't near the 90's% to finish that fast.

I'm going to start from the beginning like you said and do everything step by step. I have a ton of files now with different firmwares, so i just gotta make sure i don't mix anything up.

ONe last thing, should i have nothing but the PS3updatpup on the USB stick? Or will other unrelated files screw anything up?

Thanks for the help though. Much appreciate!

gtmax

I was doing the downgrader 4.25/3.55 through recovery menu. I just re-read the instructions and they say to go from xmb. I went through it but i'm still getting a (8002f157) data is corrupted error.

I appear to be on 4.21.

Wildesy

I was doing the downgrader 4.25/3.55 through recovery menu. I just re-read the instructions and they say to go from xmb. I went through it but i'm still getting a (8002f157) data is corrupted error.

I appear to be on 4.21.

Sounds like you're already on the hybrid. I'd follow the steps to toggle QA, then I'd put Rogero v3.7 on the usb and try and install it from the recovery menu.

gtmax

Sounds like you're already on the hybrid. I'd follow the steps to toggle QA, then I'd put Rogero v3.7 on the usb and try and install it from the recovery menu.

Maybe. But you know what's interesting. I just checked the system information through Multiman and i'm apparently on "Firmware 3.55 [SC-36 Hermes]. It shows 4.21 when i go through the XMB. So i'm really not on 4.21 at all? I wouldn't care except that my games don't work.

Wildesy

Maybe. But you know what's interesting. I just checked the system information through Multiman and i'm apparently on "Firmware 3.55 [SC-36 Hermes]. It shows 4.21 when i go through the XMB. So i'm really not on 4.21 at all? I wouldn't care except that my games don't work.

I'd say that definitely means you're on the hybrid. Toggle the QA pkg and then install v3.7 through the recovery menu. It won't install if you aren't on the hybrid and it shouldn't cause any problems if you aren't.

elty

I am still on 3.41 dongle ware (using those first generation dongle, as soon as I bought it 3.55 CFW came out - fortunately it is just $15).

What should I do to upgrade to the latest 4.21? 3.41 -> 3.55 OFW -> 4.21 CFW?

Mitama

I just updated from 3.55 kmeaw to Rebug 4.31 REX and have had no problems aside from trying to update to multiman 4.1 which is taking ages.

I think I'll also make the switch to Rebug, sounds stable and I haven't read any brick reports either. Did you use the QA Toggle and then just install the 4.31 REX from the XMB? Apparently checking the QA flag is not even required but still recommended.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I think I'll also make the switch to Rebug, sounds stable and I haven't read any brick reports either. Did you use the QA Toggle and then just install the 4.31 REX from the XMB? Apparently checking the QA flag is not even required but still recommended.

Yes, installed toolbox, switched on QA mode, installed via usb stick system update.

new rebug cfw sounds pretty neat, nice to see a useful feature for the layman like unrestricted save files.
There's also a very cool feature for people with broken Blu-ray drives (using Rebug 4.21 REX and the just released MultiMAN 4.10): there's a new "Dummy_BDEMU" method which basically lets you run every game without a disc in the drive (previously there were a lot of games which didn't work with direct boot or /app_home):

If you do not want to waste a whole USB HDD you can use a
small 512MB USB STICK to emulate your broken BD-ROM.

Needed:
* PC and PS3
* USB stick/drive (512MB minimum size)
* Disc Image Generator Software (ps3gen)
* PLAYSTATION3.iso Dummy BDEMU image
* 4.21CFW REBUG (REX) operating in DEX mode with DEX lv2_kernel (FULL DEX MODE)

* Connect a USB HDD to be used for BDEMU
* Start "Disc Image Generator for Playstation3" (ps3gen)
* Click "Show" button in the top right-hand corner
* Click "Select File..." button
* Locate and select "PLAYSTATION3.iso" provided in this archive
* Click "Save / Emu ..." button
* Select "Write Image to BD Emulator HDD"
* Select your BDEMU USB HDD
* Pick a slot from the list and click "Write Image"

=====

On your PS3 with 4.21REX CFW and multiMAN 04.10.00 installed:

* Install "Rebug Toolbox 02.00.00" and launch it
* In SELECTOR: REBUG MODE / DEBUG XMB / DEBUG MENU
* In DEX/CEX: Flash your DEX EID0 NOR/NAND file (DEX-FLASH.EID0.NORBIN or DEX-FLASH.EID0.NANDBIN file on /dev_usb000 stick)
* Quit Toolbox and reboot your PS3
* In XMB "Settings" go to "Debug Settings" and set "Blu-ray Disc Access" option to "BD Emulator (USB)"
* Turn off your PS3
* Connect the BDEMU USB HDD drive/stick to the right-most port (/dev_usb000) - the port closest to the BD-ROM drive
* Turn on your PS3

* You should see "PLAYSTATION(R)3" Game Disc mounted in XMB Game column
* Start multiMAN 04.10.00+, load a game from internal HDD or external USB HDD connected to another port. Do not unplug the BDEMU USB drive.

* Start your game from the Disc Icon in XMB.

Done.
Source

So I thought 4.30 was a garbage firmware from Sony full of bugs?

Do I really need to downgrade? Why is there an increased risk going straight from rogero 4.21 to 4.30?

I mean the wiki is telling me to basically install 4 firmwares (downgrade pup, 3.55 v3.7 pup, 3.55 pup, then 4.30 pup) to get to the goal of 4.30. Seems even more of a risk to me since things can always go wrong during a firmware update.

I have no problem doing the downgrade and I trust there is a good reason Rogero recommends it to be done that way, but I'm just curious to know the "science" behind it.

I don't really need to update. I'm happy with 4.21. I thought PSN wasn't working anyways on rogero 4.30? If it is working, can you buy stuff from the store?

I didn't know where to ask this, but anyway...

Is it worth it to buy a PS3 at this point in time or should I just wait for the next generation (will it even have BC?) I'm hesitating between buying a PS3 FAT or saving a little more to buy a Nexus 4 phone, actually.

androvsky

I've got a launch fat PS3 with a busted blu-ray drive connector on the motherboard. The drive itself would work fine if I could hook it up. The problem is the system can't do any blu-ray drive checks, so I'm stuck in a firmware update loop. Is there any chance of me being able to do a downgrade (it's on 4.21 ofw iirc) without the drive working?

Also, is anybody looking into how the PS2 games on PSN work?

I have no problem doing the downgrade and I trust there is a good reason Rogero recommends it to be done that way, but I'm just curious to know the "science" behind it.

I think he said it's because the 4.** CFWs are still 3.55 at their core, so downgrading to a non-heavily molested 3.55 base is the safest way to upgrade.

Still no XMB screenshots for 4.21+ :(

I wonder if deanK can work his magic and put the enabler in Multiman...

N.A

Banned

I don't really need to update. I'm happy with 4.21. I thought PSN wasn't working anyways on rogero 4.30? If it is working, can you buy stuff from the store?

Updating from a clean firmware is always recommended. You can of course try going directly to 4.30 but there is increased risk of something going wrong.

ss_lemonade

New Rogero 4.30 v1.02 is out. Fixes the last few bugs. This will be the recommended firmware for the wiki.

Update guide is here:

From any 3.55-based CFW: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/3.55_to_Rogero_4.30_Guide
From Rogero 4.21: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/Rogero_4.21_to_Rogero_4.30
I never went past 3.55 kmew. So its just as simple as what the guide states? No weird bricking issues or what (I'm on a slim 250gb model).

Want to update to give those sony wireless virtual surround sound headsets a try

gtmax

I messed up bad somewhere along the way. Now my system is constantly flashing the screen. Im going to look into buying a 3.55 ps3, but that would be my third ps3. I have the original phat which die but was resurrected by Sony, then this here slim one. I supposed i can take the slim and put it in the room...but 3 ps3s is a bit silly.

Gotta hope i can recover my previously backed up games. I have a few JPN only gems that i won't find anywhere.

I messed up bad somewhere along the way. Now my system is constantly flashing the screen. Im going to look into buying a 3.55 ps3, but that would be my third ps3. I have the original phat which die but was resurrected by Sony, then this here slim one. I supposed i can take the slim and put it in the room...but 3 ps3s is a bit silly.

Gotta hope i can recover my previously backed up games. I have a few JPN only gems that i won't find anywhere.
Mind telling us what you did so we don't make the same mistake? Lol

Sorry to hear, budd.

I'm confused. I have a ps3 with 3.55 kmew from back when the homebrew scene first started and I haven't touched it since. Is 3.55 kmew not good anymore? Do I need to upgrade to Rogero to play newer games? Or can I keep kmew and simply upgrade multiman? Thanks.

I'm confused. I have a ps3 with 3.55 kmew from back when the homebrew scene first started and I haven't touched it since. Is 3.55 kmew not good anymore? Do I need to upgrade to Rogero to play newer games? Or can I keep kmew and simply upgrade multiman? Thanks.
It just makes it easier to play new games since you don't have to go around finding eboot fixes to play those new games that won't work on 3.55. Added to that the host of changes Sony has made to the OS (better browser for one) since 3.55 and being able to play online and purchase stuff from the store (I think it's working without any workarounds) and that's why you have people upgrading from kmeaw.

At this point, there really isn't a reason not to update. Your only gaining functionally and not losing anything.

cacildo

gtmax

There are new eboots for almost every new game that comes out. I'd update MM and taht's it. Dont risk braking it if it's not. I sure as hell wish i'd stayed where i was, which is where you are.

Top Bottom