• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

androvsky

Man, that really sucks. Any chance it was just co-incidence? I think you'd have to tug on the SATA port pretty hard to affect the CPU solder-job...but what do I know?

Once she's gone YLOD, is reballing the only long term fix? Or does even that fail in time?

It could be coincidence, of course. It did happen about two minutes after putting the drive in though.

On the other hand, I removed and replaced my drive several times that afternoon, so it's not like swapping out the drive once is going to kill it, and just the heat expansion and cooling from turning the system off and on several times in a few hours could've killed it too. But that happened a couple years ago and I babied that system like crazy towards the end. I wouldn't want to touch a launch system that's still going at this point.

I don't know what the success rate on reballing is, but I reflowed the motherboard in a solder baking oven and managed to get another year out of the system until it went YLOD again. Another reflow brought it back, but the blu-ray drive connector fell off so I can't do anything with it now. :(

It could be coincidence, of course. It did happen about two minutes after putting the drive in though.

On the other hand, I removed and replaced my drive several times that afternoon, so it's not like swapping out the drive once is going to kill it, and just the heat expansion and cooling from turning the system off and on several times in a few hours could've killed it too. But that happened a couple years ago and I babied that system like crazy towards the end. I wouldn't want to touch a launch system that's still going at this point.

I don't know what the success rate on reballing is, but I reflowed the motherboard in a solder baking oven and managed to get another year out of the system until it went YLOD again. Another reflow brought it back, but the blu-ray drive connector fell off so I can't do anything with it now. :(

Thanks for expanding on that. It's such a shame too because the launch systems were built like tanks. I still remember pulling it out of the box for the first time and marveling at how heavy it was! I have a slim that has a loose HDMI port so the video cuts in and out. I can't bring myself to pick up a super slim--they just looks so...cheap. And I'm all for top-loaders...

I might have a line on a cheap (practically free) launch 60GB. It's been updated to the most recent firmware, so I know that complicates things.

I'd need an e3 flasher, no? I have an e3 card reader lying around somewhere. I guess I'd be dreaming to think I could downgrade it with that?

Does anyone here know what's involved with swapping a blu-ray drive, in terms of getting a CFW PS3 to recognise it? Is it simply not possible, or is it pretty easy?

I might have a line on a cheap (practically free) launch 60GB. It's been updated to the most recent firmware, so I know that complicates things.

I'd need an e3 flasher, no?
Yes, you'll need a hardware flasher.

djblue89

I heard that there is a new and fast way to go from DEX to CEX with Rebug tools, can anyone please explain this to me, either with a tutorial found somewhere, I would like to be able to watch blu-rays on my PS3, it's been a while since I haven't

I heard that there is a new and fast way to go from DEX to CEX with Rebug tools, can anyone please explain this to me, either with a tutorial found somewhere, I would like to be able to watch blu-rays on my PS3, it's been a while since I haven't
There is a way to switch quickly, but you need to be on a Rebug REX firmware (current latest is 4.30.2 REX). To upgrade to that firmware I believe you need to be on a CEX firmware already though. I don't know of any new method specifically for regular DEX users.

Once you're on REX firmware and have your CEX and DEX flash dumps saved on a USB stick you can switch back and forth between CEX and REX in seconds.

Dereck

I have a question for CFW GAF.

I can't seem to find the whole nine yards for the PS3. SNES, NES, GEN, 32X, N64, and PS1 emulators for the PS3. If there are, do they all run perfectly? My curiosity for this is sparked by the fact that the PS3 is so powerful.

How is the emulation scene for the PS3, and can you guys redirect me to some videos or a website that has this information?

sangreal

I can't seem to find the whole nine yards for the PS3. SNES, NES, GEN, 32X, N64, and PS1 emulators for the PS3. If there are, do they all run perfectly? My curiosity for this is sparked by the fact that the PS3 is so powerful.

How is the emulation scene for the PS3, and can you guys redirect me to some videos or a website that has this information?

SNES emu comes with multiman. I think NES and maybe GEN as well. From what I could find, there is no n64 emulator. PS2 and PS1 have the official emulator I think

RetroArch will do NES, SNES, Master System, Mega Drive/Genesis, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, Game Gear, Doom engine, MAME, and most arcade systems.

I don't believe there are 32X or N64 emulators available, but I could be wrong. PS1 emulation is built into the PS3 firmware, and pretty good PS2 emulation has just recently been unlocked for CFW PS3s.

Dereck

So that means that I would have to find a PS3 with a 2010 firmware on it? That is insane, almost impossible. That sucks

gtmax

-nvm-

Is there an easier way to build an Ps2 classic iso yet?

All ps2 Isos, or hundreds of gigs worth of them, were out there in the internets not long ago. I wasn't sure what was the point of releasing that so this new breakthrough is pretty sweet. Could we not eventually rip ps2 games onto the ps3 like we can do now with ps3 games?

kafiend

All ps2 Isos, or hundreds of gigs worth of them, were out there in the internets not long ago. I wasn't sure what was the point of releasing that so this new breakthrough is pretty sweet. Could we not eventually rip ps2 games onto the ps3 like we can do now with ps3 games?

Redump, TOSEC, Trurip etc etc have been around for years. Technically they are a method of cataloging but can of course be used as collection tools.

am i just being thick or has retroarch removed the abilty to map your own buttons that FBA once had? It is beyond frustrating and id give up all retroarches improvements up just for that one function. such a silly oversight.

am i just being thick or has retroarch removed the abilty to map your own buttons that FBA once had? It is beyond frustrating and id give up all retroarches improvements up just for that one function. such a silly oversight.

You can still set your buttons and even save individual configs for different cores and such. It's just buried deep, deep, deep in the options.

Press Select to access the options and R1 until you get to the config settings.

I still use FBA because of Uni-Bios support and Martial Masters and SNES9X for Super Scope support. First one who gets me playing Violent Storm wins!

Whats currently the best cfw, is it 3.55 or the group of 4.x ones? Been more than 2 years on 3.55 rebug. Should I upgrade to 4.x.x? I don't need psn on it.

Whats currently the best cfw, is it 3.55 or the group of 4.x ones? Been more than 2 years on 3.55 rebug. Should I upgrade to 4.x.x? I don't need psn on it.

You should just update to 4.30.2 Rebug at this point. No reason to stay on 3.41 or 3.55 anymore because the one holdout of OtherOS can be used on later firmwares with some prep before updating. And less hassles with playing newer games is always a huge plus and and any homebrew you've become fancy of can be resigned to be used on newer firmwares.

If you do decide to jump to any 4.?? FW make sure to set your QA flag first. Very important to do so.

You should just update to 4.30.2 Rebug at this point. No reason to stay on 3.41 or 3.55 anymore because the one holdout of OtherOS can be used on later firmwares with some prep before updating. And less hassles with playing newer games is always a huge plus and and any homebrew you've become fancy of can be resigned to be used on newer firmwares.

If you do decide to jump to any 4.?? FW make sure to set your QA flag first. Very important to do so.

Its been too long so I don't remember, but what is QA flag? Can I just upgrade from Rebug 3.55.2 to 4.30.2?

Its been too long so I don't remember, but what is QA flag? Can I just upgrade from Rebug 3.55.2 to 4.30.2?

I don't think it's needed to upgrade, but it's generally good practice to have QA flag enabled just in case something screws up. I believe it also allows for downgrade back to 3.55 from a higher cfw.

Just use the QA flag toggle pkg or the Rebug Toolbox both provided by Rebug. Though, It seems their site is down at the moment.

I don't think it's needed to upgrade, but it's generally good practice to have QA flag enabled just in case something screws up. I believe it also allows for downgrade back to 3.55 from a higher cfw.

Just use the QA flag toggle pkg or the Rebug Toolbox both provided by Rebug. Though, It seems their site is down at the moment.

Thanks. Can I directly update from rebug 3.55.2 to rebug 4.30 or do I first need to go through 3.55.4? Is there a tutorial somewhere because the OP only mentions Rogero 4.30. What are the differences between Rogero and rebug anyway?

Thanks. Can I directly update from rebug 3.55.2 to rebug 4.30 or do I first need to go through 3.55.4? Is there a tutorial somewhere because the OP only mentions Rogero 4.30. What are the differences between Rogero and rebug anyway?

After you enable QA flag, just install the latest Rebug like any other firmware. Make sure network connection is disabled and install from USB.

Why do I need to enable QA flag? Yeah I found a tut on how to do it, just want to know what its purpose is. I don't need to rely on any usb based methods like Cobra on 4.x.x right?

sangreal

I went to 3.55 OFW straight to Rebug 4.30.2 REX and I was able to toggle QA fine...

The release notes mention it works on any firmware too:
ADDED – Toggle QA support for all 3.55/4.21/4.30/4.31 CFW

Why do I need to enable QA flag? Yeah I found a tut on how to do it, just want to know what its purpose is. I don't need to rely on any usb based methods like Cobra on 4.x.x right?

Like I mentioned earlier, just in case something screws up. You don't have to if you don't want to. It opens up certain restrictions that make upgrading easier and downgrades possible.

You install the CFW normally like you would OFW. Nothing else is needed.

Why do I need to enable QA flag?
It allows you to easily downgrade your firmware without bricking your console.

I went to 3.55 OFW straight to Rebug 4.30.2 REX and I was able to toggle QA fine...

The release notes mention it works on any firmware too:
ADDED – Toggle QA support for all 3.55/4.21/4.30/4.31 CFW
Yeah the most recent version of Rebug Toolbox added the ability to toggle QA from post-3.55 firmwares.

Thanks for the info guys. Are you all on rebug cfw?

I'm on Rebug. I don't really trust the other CFWs if I'm being honest, there are a lot of cowboys in the scene whose only concern is getting their stuff out first. The Rebug philosophy of taking however long it takes to get their firmware right and exhaustively tested is more in line with what I'm looking for in a CFW. They've never been the first to release any of the CFW versions but I would say that their version has always been the best.

I know N.A. disagrees and prefers minimal modifications to OFW (and so favours Rogero), but I would say that the debacle we saw with the Rogero releases (bricks, features being added, then removed, then re-added in subsequent releases because things were breaking) are a good indication that minimal modifications aren't necessarily better – from a stability point of view – if little to no proper testing is done prior to release.

Mendrox

i got PS Plus and was DLing games off the store. last game i bought was Guacamelee. Guess I'll go and get a new account and get PLUS again and only play on vita online. the Console was banned too, guess there is no way to get it unbanned.

Welp, there is a way... :) Just google it. I realised that if my account gets banned that I will lose my whole PSN Collection (just Vita Games) but I don't want to. :/ So I won't get online again for quiete some time. .__. Really sucks.

Gvaz

Banned
i got PS Plus and was DLing games off the store. last game i bought was Guacamelee. Guess I'll go and get a new account and get PLUS again and only play on vita online. the Console was banned too, guess there is no way to get it unbanned.

What games have you played?

When did you play them? (before release date and all that perhaps?)

Did you use stealth multiman? (if you don't know what that is, then you didn't use it)

so what did Sony do that made the system do difficult to hack again? Or is it just that everyone is afraid to after what happened to GeoHotz?

Now that the PS4 will more like a PC, you think it'll be simpler to allow CFW?

test_account

XP-39C²
Welp, there is a way... :) Just google it. I realised that if my account gets banned that I will lose my whole PSN Collection (just Vita Games) but I don't want to. :/ So I won't get online again for quiete some time. .__. Really sucks.
I think the only way to unban the console is to get another valid consoleID.

so what did Sony do that made the system do difficult to hack again? Or is it just that everyone is afraid to after what happened to GeoHotz?

Now that the PS4 will more like a PC, you think it'll be simpler to allow CFW?
Sony blacklisted the old signing key that is used to sign CFW (so that the PS3 thinks that it is OFW). Sony also fixed the bug in firmware 3.56 that made it possible to calculate the signing key.

About PS4 being easier to hack, i'm also wondering about this. Does the architecture matters if its easier to hack something? PS4 will still be a closed system at least.

Guys anyone replaced thermal paste on their PS3? I have a fat 40GB PS3 and would like to try. Is it hard? Lately poor thing has been very loud even after a few minutes of play. So I thought of trying to lower the temps. (I already tried removing dust with vacuum cleaner but it didn't help)

What games have you played?

When did you play them? (before release date and all that perhaps?)

Did you use stealth multiman? (if you don't know what that is, then you didn't use it)

Nah, I was DLing the PS+Freebies and PSN games I bought only. I'm living in another country, so I hacked it and brought over my collection on a drive and was just DLing the PSN+ freebies as they came along.

Had a VITA too, so was DLING them as well off PSN. Sucks.

Did not know there was a stealth Multiman.

Hasney

About PS4 being easier to hack, i'm also wondering about this. Does the architecture matters if its easier to hack something? PS4 will still be a closed system at least.

Yes and no. Being based on a more familiar architecture means that once you sidestep the security measures, the actual hacks will come really quickly. It just depends how good those security measures are.

sangreal

Nah, I was DLing the PS+Freebies and PSN games I bought only. I'm living in another country, so I hacked it and brought over my collection on a drive and was just DLing the PSN+ freebies as they came along.

Had a VITA too, so was DLING them as well off PSN. Sucks.

Did not know there was a stealth Multiman.

did you play black ops 2? that's a good way to get banned

simonski

Guys anyone replaced thermal paste on their PS3? I have a fat 40GB PS3 and would like to try. Is it hard? Lately poor thing has been very loud even after a few minutes of play. So I thought of trying to lower the temps. (I already tried removing dust with vacuum cleaner but it didn't help)

Do it. I did it (and reflowed some solder) to fix the YLOD, and fan noise was considerably quieter afterwards. It's a bit tricky, but there are plenty of guides around. Make sure you use the correct screwdrivers.

sangreal

Isn't there a program that allows you to download updates for games without getting online?

you can do it from multiman, I believe but you don't need to sign into psn to download updates anyway. There are some windows-based tools for downloading updates too, if that is what you mean

you can do it from multiman, I believe but you don't need to sign into psn to download updates anyway. There are some windows-based tools for downloading updates too, if that is what you mean

I completely forgot that MM actually does that. And if there are some GUI's for it then please let me know. Because in theory you could download a specific update and not just the latest one. That could come in handy I'd suppose.

Game update finder for PC downloads.

Somebody found some PS4 test stuff on the store:

ps41mhfne.png

IMACOMPUTA

Hi guys. I'm on rebug 4.30.2 now (upgraded from rebug 4.21 I think) and now none of my stuff works. I'm trying to load my snes emulator specifically. I've read that I need to re-sign everything. Is there an easy way to do this to everything on my console?

Hi guys. I'm on rebug 4.30.2 now (upgraded from rebug 4.21 I think) and now none of my stuff works. I'm trying to load my snes emulator specifically. I've read that I need to re-sign everything. Is there an easy way to do this to everything on my console?

Get the latest versions of:
  • MultiMAN
  • RetroArch
  • Showtime
And you should be good to go for most things straight away, including SNES emulation.

IMACOMPUTA

I converted a snes controller to work with ps3 and I have a couple questions:

Is there a way to change the default buttons for emulator controls?
For example: I am using Retroarch and my snes pad does not do L3 or R3 so I am unable to back out of a game unless I change the ps3 controller to port 1 and press L3+R3. Is there a way for me to change it to a different key combination? Or what is the best way around this issue?

Top Bottom