• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

Is there a way to get demos off PSN without going on PSN? I want to try the new One Piece Kaizoku Musou 2 demo that is on the Japanese PSN.

Yes if you can find the .pkg file for the demo in the wild, or just the URL off the PSN server you can download it (either on your computer or PS3) and install.

gtmax

New Rogero 4.30 v1.02 is out. Fixes the last few bugs. This will be the recommended firmware for the wiki.

Update guide is here:

From any 3.55-based CFW: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/3.55_to_Rogero_4.30_Guide
From Rogero 4.21: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/Rogero_4.21_to_Rogero_4.30

Can i use this guide to install Rogero 4.30 V2.05? I'm on 3.55Kmeaw. Very nervous about trying this again but 3.55 isn't cutting it for new games.

Rogero says you can update straight from xmb but some have experienced problems doing this.

Can i use this guide to install Rogero 4.30 V2.05? I'm on 3.55Kmeaw. Very nervous about trying this again but 3.55 isn't cutting it for new games.

Rogero says you can update straight from xmb but some have experienced problems doing this.

I'd recommend Rebug 4.30.1. If you decide to go that route then make sure you post up the steps you're going to take and get confirmation from here before you do them ;)

gtmax

Too late. Already fucked up. update went through without a hitch. Only to have NOTHING work. So now to try to go back to 3.55 Kmeaw and enjoying the games i can play on that. I'm done with this. There's enough enjoyment to be got from the Showtime media player alone with all those Plugins.

So what are the steps to downgrading? qA_toggle first? lol but really ):

Too late. Already fucked up. update went through without a hitch. Only to have NOTHING work. So now to try to go back to 3.55 Kmeaw and enjoying the games i can play on that. I'm done with this. There's enough enjoyment to be got from the Showtime media player alone with all those Plugins.

I've seen two PS3's taken from kmeaw to Rebug and the whole process is completely idiot proof if you follow the very simple steps.

Maddog

What do you mean nothing works? Did you patch eboots to work on 3.55?

gtmax

I tried games that were patched for 3.55 and they didn't work. xmb games didn't work. disc games didn't work. Used the downgrader, then Rog 3.55V7 or whatever it is. After this the next step is to go to 3.55CFW Kmeaw. Just for shits and giggles i checked version: 4.21 [not through Multiman]. For more shits and giggles, and before going to Kmeaw, i tried a game off the xmb - it worked. THen i said, well why not try a game off the HDD?' So i popped in a game i know works for sure, Dead Space 2.

Went in, came back out to xmb, game showed up under app_games and as a game disc (had Arkham city inside. Sure enough it worked! So i'm staying here and not going anywhere since its working.

If i did go and updated to Rebug, which i had at one point when my system was wrecked, is there anything at all one needs to do after having done the update? At all? Or is it just updating and back to the party vis-a-vis playing games off HDD?

I don't recall whether I had my OtherOS active or uninstalled when I moved to 3.55 Kmeaw on my launch 60Gb.

I want to move to Rebug REX with OtherOS. I see there is (as of today) a REBUG 4.30.2 REX EDITION available.

Everything I've read in the SACD ripping guide claims the program won't run any higher than 3.55.

I could never get it to run in Kmeaw and the closest answer I got was it needed a firmware with proper OtherOS support. From what I've researched it certainly seems like REBUG REX fits that bill.

My question(s) are as follows:

a) what is the easiest way to get from Kmeaw to REBUG REX with OtherOS support? It seems like the REBUG installation will recognize an existing OtherOS, but won't create one. I'm not sure I have one.

b) once on a higher level REBUG (say I went all the way to 4.30.2) can I then downgrade to 3.55.4 if the SACD ripper doesn't work? (I'll download the toolbox first and throw the QA flag of course...)

c) is there a way for me to verify if I have an OtherOS installation while on Kmeaw 3.55? Or would I be better to flash the OtherOS firmware linked to in that SACD guide via recovery first just to be sure, and THEN move to REBUG via the GUI system update?

I'd really appreciate some guidance in this. I would just follow cameron's advice if it weren't for my interest in OtherOS. I have to throw out a big thank-you to endlessflood for the great summary of the strengths of REBUG. I'm really excited to try it, and I've been itching to back up my SACD collection for ages!

missile

... a) what is the easiest way to get from Kmeaw to REBUG REX with OtherOS support? It seems like the REBUG installation will recognize an existing OtherOS, but won't create one. ...
From where do you know this? If true, will it also recognize a proper OtherOS
from Firmware (OFW) <= 3.15? Well, I've some machines running OtherOS on 3.15
and would update them to OtherOS++.

From where do you know this? If true, will it also recognize a proper OtherOS
from Firmware (OFW) <= 3.15? Well, I've some machines running OtherOS on 3.15
and would update them to OtherOS++.

I got that from the rebug.me site.

OtherOS++ is supported by all REBUG REX EDITIONS and will detect your existing OtherOS HDD partition.

However none of the REBUG REX EDITIONS have emer_init.self patched (create smaller GameOS partition). We are working on a solution to this from GameOS.

In the meantime if you do want to create an OtherOS partition you have two options:

1: Use a 3.55 firmware that already has emer_init.self patched to the size you want.
2: Patch REBUG 3.55.x REX EDITION in PS3MFW Builder

If you choose option 2 we highly recommend that you ONLY patch emer_init.self. Also the resulting PUP will only be able to be installed on 3.55 firmware as the spkg_hdr will be mismatched.

Thought truth be told I understand very little of that, so perhaps I'm misunderstanding it.

b) once on a higher level REBUG (say I went all the way to 4.30.2) can I then downgrade to 3.55.4 if the SACD ripper doesn't work? (I'll download the toolbox first and throw the QA flag of course...)

Yes, yes you can.

UNINSTALL:
From XMB REBUG 4.21.x AND HIGHER can be uninstalled with the same or higher firmware version OFW/CFW/MFW or with REBUG 3.55.x REX EDITION on a QA enabled PS3 or with the ’999&#8242; DOWNGRADER if QA was NOT enabled.

Yes, yes you can.

UNINSTALL:
From XMB REBUG 4.21.x AND HIGHER can be uninstalled with the same or higher firmware version OFW/CFW/MFW or with REBUG 3.55.x REX EDITION on a QA enabled PS3 or with the ’999&#8242; DOWNGRADER if QA was NOT enabled.

Now that the new Rebug Toolbox supports setting the QA flag on firmwares above 3.55 you shouldn't even need the 999 downgrader any more, you can (once your QA flag is definitely set) just downgrade straight to the 3.55 REX Rebug firmware.

missile

I got that from the rebug.me site.
OtherOS++ is supported by all REBUG REX EDITIONS and will detect your existing OtherOS HDD partition.
That's it. Thank you for looking this up.

Until they forgot the ++ after the second OtherOS. In that case it would read;
'OtherOS++ is supported by all REBUG REX EDITIONS and will detect your
existing [from a previous REBUG firmware] OtherOS++ HDD partition'. Anyhow,
I for one will understand it as; REBUG REX does detect any OtherOS partition
no matter where its from and can boot straight into it. That's at least what
I'm looking for.

N.A

Banned
Finally something I've been predicting to happen for over a year has come true:

PS2 classics have been decrypted and a tool has been released to decrypt/encrypt.

What does this mean? You can now make an iso of any ps2 game and package it as a PS2 classic and run it with the PS2 classic emulator on any PS3 (no hardware backwards compatibility needed). Compatibility should be quite high.

The process is a little complex atm but expect a drag and drop tool to be released very soon.

PS2 classics have been decrypted and a tool has been released to decrypt/encrypt.

What does this mean? You can now make an iso of any ps2 game and package it as a PS2 classic and run it with the PS2 classic emulator on any PS3 (no hardware backwards compatibility needed). Compatibility should be quite high.

The process is a little complex atm but expect a drag and drop tool to be released very soon.

Jeez, Sony are fucking assholes for not using this for disc-based PS2 BC in all models.

androvsky

Jeez, Sony are fucking assholes for not using this for disc-based PS2 BC in all models.

It depends on what the compatibility is like, even the games Sony has released as PS2 classics have some issues. But if it's about as good as the old partial software BC in the launch Euro systems, then I'm going to be pissed.

But the really good news is people can stop pretending like Sony somehow is recompiling or relinking these games.

Yes. I knew their emulator was damn good and they didn't need the chips to have native BC.

If this works as you guys are saying it works, i.e. most PS2 ISOs can be run through emulator on PS3, suggesting that disc based emulation for PS2 games is possible, then it's new thread worthy, especially given the fact that we don't even know if PS1/PS2 games will be natively BC with the PS4.

We kinda knew Sony was dicking us around when they released PS2 classics yet the disc based version of those games didn't get compatibility. This just majorly confirms it.

It depends on what the compatibility is like, even the games Sony has released as PS2 classics have some issues. But if it's about as good as the old partial software BC in the launch Euro systems, then I'm going to be pissed.

But the really good news is people can stop pretending like Sony somehow is recompiling or relinking these games.

Makes no sense for them to do that. I am willing to bet that Vita may be even able to run some PS2 classics ISOs (albeit that might be some problems in the emulation there). I remember GAF experts saying it was impossible for the vita to have native BC with the PSP and we know what happened there.

Might be about time to retire the PS2 if some certain games work.

Now make this happen for PSP games.

test_account

XP-39C²
I wonder what the reason is to not include software based PS2 backward compability in the PS3. I'm not sure if wanting to sell PS2 games digitally is the reason for leaving out software PS2 backward compability in the PS3. Every PS3 supports PS1 game, yet Sony offers digital versions of a lot of PS1 games anyway.

KtSlime

Great, I'd finally be able to play my NSTC-J PS2 games, unfortunately my PS3 died last week.

test_account: Isn't the reason obvious? Sony wants you to pay twice.

Dalthien

This is great news!

Might be about time to retire the PS2 if some certain games work.

Now make this happen for PSP games.

Yeah, it would be nice to finally retire the PS2, and free those inputs up on my receiver once and for all, instead of having to slide back behind the TV and rewire everything whenever I want to fire up a PS2 game.

KtSlime

How do i have to pay twice when i can play my original PS1 games on my PS3?

That predates the removal of Kutaragi. He was down with PlayStation as a united platform. If we can't play PS1 or PS2 games on the PS4, I think we will have our definitive answer on Sony's stance on the matter.

test_account

XP-39C²
That predates the removal of Katarugi. He was down with PlayStation as a united platform. If we can't play PS1 or PS2 games on the PS4, I think we will have our definitive answer on Sony's stance on the matter.
The PS1 part doesnt have much to do with Kutaragi. Every PS3 model that has been produced after Kutaragi left also supports PS1 discs. The PS1 emulation on the PS3 is done 100% through software. Sony offers this despite selling digital download PS1 games. That is why i wonder if this is the reason for PS2 games.

It has been said that the PS4 cant read CDs (which makes sense, since it requires a own laser diode). If that is the case, original PS1 games wont work. There is no reason for the digital download PS1 games to not work though.

KtSlime

It doesnt have much to do with Kutaragi. Every PS3 model that has been produced after Kutaragi left also supports PS1 discs. The PS1 emulation on the PS3 is done 100% through software. Sony offers this despite selling digital download PS1 games. That is why i wonder if this is the reason for PS2 games.

It has been said that the PS4 cant read CDs (which makes sense, since it requires a own laser diode). If that is the case, original PS1 games wont work. There is no reason for the digital download PS1 games to not work though.

I believe that in a BluRay drive the same diode that can read DVDs is also used to read CDs. I think it is probably just an excuse so they can get you to purchase the digital versions. Unless you don't think the PS4 will be DVD compatible either.

Sony could make a whitelist that would allow the original releases of PS2 games that they have released as PS2 Classics work - but they don't. Why do you think that is?

test_account

XP-39C²
I believe that in a BluRay drive the same diode that can read DVDs is also used to read CDs. I think it is probably just an excuse so they can get you to purchase the digital versions. Unless you don't think the PS4 will be DVD compatible either.

Sony could make a whitelist that would allow the original releases of PS2 games that they have released as PS2 Classics work - but they don't. Why do you think that is?
Have they been able to develope a laser diode that can read both DVDs and CDs? I havnt followed the developement on laser diodes to be honest, so i cant say for sure. But i know that before, DVD players had seperate laser diodes for CD and DVD.

About the PS2 stuff, i dont know, that is what i'm wondering about :) Sony offers PS1 discs backward compability easily despite selling PS1 games digitally as well. If the solution is that easy with PS2, i dont know why they wouldnt do it years ago. It would be another selling point, and it would be updated through a firmware update, so that every PS3 model could use it.

KtSlime

Have they been able to develope a laser diode that can read both DVDs and CDs? Are you sure about this? I havnt followed the developement on laser diodes to be honest, so i cant say for sure. But i know that before, DVD players had seperate laser diodes for CD and DVD.

About the PS2 stuff, i dont know, that is what i'm wondering about :) They offer PS1 backward compability easily despite selling PS1 games digitally as well. If the solution is that easy with PS2, i dont know why they wouldnt do it years ago. It would be another selling point, and it would be updated through a firmware update, so that every PS3 model could use it.

The PS3 has 2 diodes, a red spectrum, and a blue spectrum, the red is for CD and DVD and the blue is for Blu Ray. Perhaps Sony discovered a method to have a single diode that can read the DVD red range to the Blu Ray blue and had to drop the near infrared reading capability (CD) of the red diode, but I have heard nothing on this sort of development.

Sony has one obligation, make money for share holders. Sony is not our friend. Don't get my wrong, I loved my PS3 60GB, but I have learned my lesson. I guess we will all find out in a few months.

test_account

XP-39C²
The PS3 has 2 diodes, a red spectrum, and a blue spectrum, the red is for CD and DVD and the blue is for Blu Ray. Perhaps Sony discovered a method to have a single diode that can read the DVD red range to the Blu Ray blue and had to drop the near infrared reading capability (CD) of the red diode, but I have heard nothing on this sort of development.

Sony has one obligation, make money for share holders. Sony is not our friend. Don't get my wrong, I loved my PS3 60GB, but I have learned my lesson. I guess we will all find out in a few months.
About the laser diode, i see. If that is the case, then it wouldnt make much sense to drop CD support, unless that this type of laser diode is more expencive than a laser diode that can only read DVDs. Or that they made a single Bluray laser diode that can read Bluray and DVD only, as you mentioned.

True, but it is important to make the consumer happy. They might not be our friend directly, but they are not our enemy either (this goes for every company). Offering PS2 backward compability could have increased the PS3 hardware sales, which would also mean making more money for Sony. It is clear that Sony has achieved 100% PS2 software emulation on PS3, but if this would easily translate into support for original PS2 discs is what i'm mostly curious about. Which lesson have you learned by the way?

KtSlime

Which lesson have you learned by the way?

To not overestimate Sony's (or any other for profit corporation) generosity or loyalty to their customers.

Anyone know if Sony still does PS3 60GB repairs? I really don't want to have to buy a new PS3 and a new PS2 just so I can finish a few of my games.

jcm

The ps3 has three diodes. One for cd, one for DVD, one for br.

The laser diode can actually contains three laser diodes emitting at 780, 660, and 405 nm (for CD, DVD, and Blu-ray, respectively). These are connected in a CCC (Common Cathode Can) configuration. The case is the cathode (-ve) of all three laser diodes as well as the monitor photodiode.

KtSlime

The laser diode can actually contains three laser diodes emitting at 780, 660, and 405 nm (for CD, DVD, and Blu-ray, respectively). These are connected in a CCC (Common Cathode Can) configuration. The case is the cathode (-ve) of all three laser diodes as well as the monitor photodiode.

Ah, thank you. Sorry for any misinformation I put out, I was under the assumption that it was 2. I retract my previous statement.

test_account

XP-39C²
To not overestimate Sony's (or any other for profit corporation) generosity or loyalty to their customers.

Anyone know if Sony still does PS3 60GB repairs? I really don't want to have to buy a new PS3 and a new PS2 just so I can finish a few of my games.
I understand. I dont expect PS1 or PS2 discs to work on the PS4, but i do expect at least the digitially download PS1 game to work. Not sure about digital download PS2 games, but since it is 100% software based, at least it should be possible. But only time will tell what the PS4 will bring to the table :)

No idea about the PS3 60GB repair unfortunately.

I see. Then i think it makes sense why they drop CD from the PS4. While CD is far from a dead format, it is not nearly used as much for music as it used to be. Everyone who uses CDs are most likely to own at least one CD player as well.

Could totally be mistaken, but I once called Sony support when I bought a slim because I needed to update my PSN account (it was tied to an old email that didn't work, and I couldn't update it during the hacking fiasco).

The guy on the phone told me they still did fat PS3 repairs at that time, while he was trying to upsell me on a warranty for the slim. Take it with a grain of salt, but hopefully they still do repairs on them.

I understand. I dont expect PS1 or PS2 discs to work on the PS4, but i do expect at least the digitially download PS1 game to work. Not sure about digital download PS2 games, but since it is 100% software based, at least it should be possible. But only time will tell what the PS4 will bring to the table :)

I thought they have been uncommittal as to whether you'll be able to redownload PS3 purchases to PS4, including PS1 games?

This is huge news! I'll have to wait and see if the compatibility is as bad as the 360 generic via JTAG...

Probably going to need to look into water cooling my 60GB when she YLODs. I'm coming to grips with "when" as opposed to "if".

N.A

Banned
Testing a couple of PS2 games now.

I'll have a proper guide on the wiki soon but the process is currently:

Buy a PS2 classic from the store.
Create the ISO of the game you want to play.
Patch the ISO with LIMG Patcher.
Encrypt the ISO with PS2_Classics_GUI with the ID of your purchased PS2 classic.
Transfer the created ISO.BIN.ENC to the folder of your PS2 classic and overwrite the file.

I'm trying Persona 4 right now, will report back :)

Testing a couple of PS2 games now.

I'll have a proper guide on the wiki soon but the process is currently:

Buy a PS2 classic from the store.
Create the ISO of the game you want to play.
Patch the ISO with LIMG Patcher.
Encrypt the ISO with PS2_Classics_GUI with the ID of your purchased PS2 classic.
Transfer the created ISO.BIN.ENC to the folder of your PS2 classic and overwrite the file.

I'm trying Persona 4 right now, will report back :)

can't wait for the result :D

N.A

Banned
:D Persona 4 running on a PS3 Slim:

nsRREqfl.jpg

d8VAdpVl.jpg

No audio/video glitches, runs fullspeed.

Process is a little more complex than I originally thought atm. I expect this to be mind-numbingly simple within a week though.

As you can only currently have 1 ps2 game per ps2 classic bought I hope/expect multiman to incorporate PS2 mounting (literally all you have to do is switch the patched & encrypted ISO).

can someone help me out here? its really urgent.

anyway i was able to get my hands on a used playstation 3 fat with 3.55 40gig hard disk.

without any delay. i updated to the latest regero that available in the OP.

now i just thought i want to upgrade my hard disk as i know i have 250Gig around

i put in the new hard. turned on the ps3... its asking me for system update. any firmware from 4.30 and higher or 4.31 { i forgot the number }

i tried to put the 3.55... doesnt work.. i tried to put the rogero one.. .doesnt work either. if i put back the 40 gig hard disk. everything works fine..

can someone help me ?

thanks

can someone help me out here? its really urgent.

anyway i was able to get my hands on a used playstation 3 fat with 3.55 40gig hard disk.

without any delay. i updated to the latest regero that available in the OP.

now i just thought i want to upgrade my hard disk as i know i have 250Gig around

i put in the new hard. turned on the ps3... its asking me for system update. any firmware from 4.30 and higher or 4.31 { i forgot the number }

i tried to put the 3.55... doesnt work.. i tried to put the rogero one.. .doesnt work either. if i put back the 40 gig hard disk. everything works fine..

can someone help me ?

thanks

As I understand it, you just need to have the same CFW on a USB drive that your PS3 has on it (in your case the Rogero version whatever PUP) and then do the firmware update from the USB drive. As a precaution make absolutely sure that your PS3 cannot get a network connection first, and that there are no discs in the drive.

Top Bottom