• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

MMaRsu

Banned
Only the PAL version of the ICO collection runs in direct boot mode according to the compatibility list.

Damn, the new multiMAN is fast.

Has multiMAN always had screen capture and custom soundtracks when using direct boot mode?

Sony should just enable all three (screen & video capture, custom soundtracks) XMB options in the next firmware the worthless scrubs.

Custom soundtracks? Say what?

Toby

These CFWs that have firmware versions higher than 3.55, are you able to downgrade to 3.55 OFW from them?
Also, is there a better place to get more information on these CFWs than psx-scene?
Thanks

Anyone with a failed blu-ray drive? If so, how are you working around it with CFW?

I have a blu-ray drive on my PC, can I just copy the contents of the disc and transfer it over to the PS3?

I finally got the ICO collection and of course my PS3 (60gb phat Rebug 4.21) doesn't seem to be recognizing any discs. I tired to copy the contents on my PC and ftp'ed it over to my PS3...
MultiMAN see the game in its list, but I guess I can't play it unless I have a disc in the drive.

Any advise?
What you want to use is the BDEMU method. I posted some info on it earlier in the thread, I'd give you a link but I'm on my phone. It'll let you run any game without a working blu-Ray drive.

MMaRsu

Banned
I tried GTA 4 and it allows me to play my music/custom playlist when using direct boot (multiMAN 4.17)

I can't when using the disc.

304x182px-LL-459f8ef5_this-changes-everything-thumb.jpeg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
From what i've read, i'm under the impression that bans happen very randomly. I'm not sure if there are any patterns yet. I've read that Black Ops 2 could be one reason, but i've read that one guy got banned and he claimed he never played Black Ops 2 online.

Ah, cheers.

Foffy

Banned
Hey guys, I have a question. I hacked my OG PS3 a long time ago and I haven't really used it since, but I know there's more, updated firmwares out there. Going from the 3.55 CFW, where can I go and how can I get there to use newer firmware? Also, I heard of a program called multiMAN that handles transferring and FTP stuff with games and such, so how do I get that running about? As I haven't touched this in a long time, all I have is Gaia Manager, the Tales of Graces F demo, and a failed translation patch to the demo. So I'm awfully blank in regards of what I can do and how I can do it, let alone having a good method of setting up games to run off of the HDD. Aren't most games more than 4GB so USB transfer can't work?

What you want to use is the BDEMU method. I posted some info on it earlier in the thread, I'd give you a link but I'm on my phone. It'll let you run any game without a working blu-Ray drive.
That link:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43942600&postcount=880

Hey guys, I have a question. I hacked my OG PS3 a long time ago and I haven't really used it since, but I know there's more, updated firmwares out there. Going from the 3.55 CFW, where can I go and how can I get there to use newer firmware? Also, I heard of a program called multiMAN that handles transferring and FTP stuff with games and such, so how do I get that running about? As I haven't touched this in a long time, all I have is Gaia Manager, the Tales of Graces F demo, and a failed translation patch to the demo. So I'm awfully blank in regards of what I can do and how I can do it, let alone having a good method of setting up games to run off of the HDD. Aren't most games more than 4GB so USB transfer can't work?
There are two main CFWs to look at if you want to go to a higher firmware than 3.55, and they're the REBUG 4.21.1 REX firmware, and the Rogero 4.30 v2 firmware. I posted a comparison earlier in this thread but the Rogero firmware has changed a bit since then.

The REBUG guys post at ps3crunch.net. and Rogero posts at tortuga-cove.com, so check out those forums for the latest info. You'll find tutorials there for installing the respective firmwares.

In terms of what you can do, that's a pretty broad question but the OP has some answers (even if it's a little bit out of date). You can rip your games to the internal HDD or an external HDD and run them from there using MultiMAN, and it's very straightforward.

In terms of the file size limitation, with FAT32 the limitation isn't overall size, it's individual file size: no individual file can be over 4GB (it doesn't matter how big the entire game directory is though, it can be 100's of GB if necessary). Some games have individual files over 4GB, but it's quite rare. In that case MultiMAN will simply split the file on an external drive and will recombine the split file automatically when it's copied to the internal drive. I'm not sure if the MultiMAN dev has come up with any trickery for dealing with the files straight off the external HDD recently though, he works on it 24/7 and puts ambitious updates out very regularly, so it's entirely possible :)

MultiMAN can also deal with NTFS formatted external drives (NTFS doesn't have the 4GB individual file size limitation), but I'm not sure if you can actually run the games directly off external NTFS HDDs, or whether you need to copy them to the internal HDD to run them first.

OG Kush

my ps3 is on 4.00. What are my options for CFW? Do I have to get someone to open it up and downgrade or is there anything I can do myself? I've got a fat 60gb asian or japanese one (have to check bought it from pakistan years ago) so i know for sure it can downgrade. Thanks.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
MultiMAN can also deal with NTFS formatted external drives (NTFS doesn't have the 4GB individual file size limitation), but I'm not sure if you can actually run the games directly off external NTFS HDDs, or whether you need to copy them to the internal HDD to run them first.

You need to copy games to internal. You cant play directly from NTFS drive.

I'm going to make the jump to a new custom firmware today. I've been out of the loop for a while, wondering if I should go with 3.55 or 4.30.

4.30 is harder to downgrade right? What advantages does it have over 3.55?

Cloak

Thanks. I did find it... but the whole part where your PS3 needs to be in DEX mode was a process. Though I did get it working. I've seen a few people who mentioned they had busted blu-ray drives, they can follow these steps I found over at ps3hax.net

http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=45970&highlight=discless

Now is my noob question... if my Blu-ray is dead, I obviously can't use multiman to backup my games. How do I make a back up? My PC has a blu-ray drive on it. I thought I could just FTP the entire contents of the game over to the PS3, but it didn't seem to work. (I've only tried withe ICO collection).

Multiman recognizes it, and it loads from there... once I'm back at the XMB I see 2 discs under the Game menu, one is ICO the other is the bonus stuff, which are just behind the scenes videos. If i load the actual game, the screen goes dark, but then I get kicked back out to the XMB with some error code (i didn't write it down).

trainspot

Banned
So hello to everybody!

My PS3 couple of months ago, meaning Bluray died.
I've been thinking what to do with it, since it's kinda useless.

I wanted to ask you, if it is possible to run games from the hard drive? My HDD is 320GB so it would be shame not to use it...
I meant, I want to download the "digital copy" of a game from the internet, and do the magic-thingy and be able to play it on my console.

From what I've gathered, I will need to downgrade my console (hardware-wise) to 3.55, install CFW rogero 4.30 + MultiMAN + BDEmu (?) and then I'll be able to transfer games downloaded from internet, over the lan from PC to PS3.

Am I right? Or am I missing something? Or maybe I'm completely, utterly wrong?
Thanks!

ChrisG683

Ok, so I'm new to the PS3 CFW scene, and I think I've gathered answers to most of the questions I have, I just wanted to verify them with some people who actually know what the're doing, unlike me.

If any of my answers to my own questions are wrong, PLEASE let me know ASAP, I plan to install it in the next few days, so I don't want to screw myself.

Q) I'm currently on OFW 3.50, what is the installation process?
A) To install a CFW, I must first install OFW 3.55, then the 3.55 or 4.30 CFW of my choice.

Q) Are there any drawbacks to the 4.30 CFW as opposed to the 3.55 CFWs?
A) From what I have read, it seems like 4.30 has mostly recovered the functionality of the 3.55 CFWs, plus I can play newer games

4.30 isn't quite as good if you want to run Linux as well (at the moment).

Q) Can I downgrade from a 4.30 or 3.55 CFW?
A) Yes

Q) Will signing into PSN get me banned? (Please confirm my answer)
A) This answer seems to be mixed, overall it's not recommened, but it seems like people are patching their games and shopping from the PSN without many bans. However, playing a game online seems to bad news.

If you sign into PSN with a CFW PS3 then you run the risk of being banned, I think that's just common sense. Beyond that, it's impossible to say what Sony will do in future without a crystal ball. Nobody can give you a guarantee.

Q) Is there a "best" 4.30 CFW? The OP recommends the Rogero 4.30.
A)

Rogero is very simple so good for noobs, Rebug offers more options to the user (many of them very cool) but isn't very noob friendly. N.A. has a stated preference for minimal changes in a CFW (compared to OFW) so Rogero is his preference; Rebug REX is the complete opposite in terms of philosophy, it offers a massive overhaul compared to OFW.

Q) There seem to be a lot of tools out there to assist with CFW tasks, are any of them necessary, or is there list of them somewhere?
A) I don't know the answer to this, input is appreciated

Q) I am waiting for the Tales of Vesperia Translation patch to come out, so that I can play the JP Import version with a translated script/menus. Previously it was expected that 3.55 would be needed, but is 4.30 ok?
A) I believe that both versions will work

How do I update from 4.21 Rebug to 4.30 rebug? Do I have to downgrade or something?

Nope. I just upgraded to 4.30 with no issues at all. If you haven't set your QA Flag yet then I do suggest to downgrade to 3.55 to do that though.

And if your QA Flag is set and if you want to downgrade to 4.21 at anytime after then you have that option too.

my ps3 is on 4.00. What are my options for CFW? Do I have to get someone to open it up and downgrade or is there anything I can do myself? I've got a fat 60gb asian or japanese one (have to check bought it from pakistan years ago) so i know for sure it can downgrade. Thanks.
You need to open up your PS3 and do a hardware downgrade (using something like an E3Flasher or ProgSkeet). Unless you're experienced with that sort of thing you're better off getting someone else to do it for you.

I'm going to make the jump to a new custom firmware today. I've been out of the loop for a while, wondering if I should go with 3.55 or 4.30.

4.30 is harder to downgrade right? What advantages does it have over 3.55?
Many newer games need to be patched to run on 3.55, but run without patches on 4.30. That's the main difference.

So hello to everybody!

My PS3 couple of months ago, meaning Bluray died.
I've been thinking what to do with it, since it's kinda useless.

I wanted to ask you, if it is possible to run games from the hard drive? My HDD is 320GB so it would be shame not to use it...
I meant, I want to download the "digital copy" of a game from the internet, and do the magic-thingy and be able to play it on my console.

From what I've gathered, I will need to downgrade my console (hardware-wise) to 3.55, install CFW rogero 4.30 + MultiMAN + BDEmu (?) and then I'll be able to transfer games downloaded from internet, over the lan from PC to PS3.

Am I right? Or am I missing something? Or maybe I'm completely, utterly wrong?
Thanks!
If your Blu-ray drive won't read discs then you don't want the Rogero CFW, you want the Rebug CFW. There are two links with more info in the post immediately above yours.

Q) Are there any drawbacks to the 4.30 CFW as opposed to the 3.55 CFWs?
A) From what I have read, it seems like 4.30 has mostly recovered the functionality of the 3.55 CFWs, plus I can play newer games

Q) Will signing into PSN get me banned? (Please confirm my answer)
A) This answer seems to be mixed, overall it's not recommened, but it seems like people are patching their games and shopping from the PSN without many bans. However, playing a game online seems to bad news.
If you sign into PSN with a CFW PS3 then you run the risk of being banned, I think that's just common sense. Beyond that, it's impossible to say what Sony will do in future without a crystal ball. Nobody can give you a guarantee.

Q) Is there a "best" 4.30 CFW? The OP recommends the Rogero 4.30.
Rogero is very simple so good for noobs, Rebug offers more options to the user (many of them very cool) but isn't very noob friendly. N.A. has a stated preference for minimal changes in a CFW (compared to OFW) so Rogero is his preference; Rebug REX is the complete opposite in terms of philosophy, it offers a massive overhaul compared to OFW.

Q) There seem to be a lot of tools out there to assist with CFW tasks, are any of them necessary, or is there list of them somewhere?
I'm not sure what you mean by "CFW tasks", can you clarify?

ChrisG683

Thank you so so so so much endlessflood for taking time to respond to my questions. I know I asked a lot of things and you didn't have to go out of your way to answer them, but I REALLY appreciate it :) I'm going to put your answers under my questions.

I don't intend on running Linux, I pretty much purely bought this PS3 for the Tales of Vesperia translation patch, I should be good then :)

Yeah, I guess the general rule of thumb here is don't go online period. Although honestly I haven't used my PSN account for anything, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Excellent, this is EXACTLY what I needed to know, Rogero it is then :). I'm a big tech guy, but like I said, I don't really intend to hack my PS3 for anything except this translation patch, so it should be sufficient.

I'm not sure what you mean by "CFW tasks", can you clarify?

I've seen people mention various tools (of which I can't recall the names) for like making backup images and things like that, but I don't know anything about that stuff.

I've seen people mention various tools (of which I can't recall the names) for like making backup images and things like that, but I don't know anything about that stuff.
The Homebrew Highlights section in the OP lists some of the main ones (MultiMAN, Showtime, RetroArch). MultiMAN is the most important one.

trainspot

Banned
If your Blu-ray drive won't read discs then you don't want the Rogero CFW, you want the Rebug CFW. There are two links with more info in the post immediately above yours.

You see, I don't want to backup my games, I want to download them from internet, copy to internal/external hdd and then play them...

Cloak

Wow!

Ok, for those of us who actually own a disc copy of a game and want to play it on their broken blu-ray PS3, how do you actually get it from disc to the HDD?

I got the my system on Rebug 4.21 DEX and set it up with the way endlessflood described (thank you :) BTW), and have gotten the games I already have on there working. Just getting new games has been a problem. I assume I'll have to use my bluray drive on my PC.

Also I noticed that Rebug has released 4.30. I know usually all you have to do is the update from 4.21 to 4.30 via the XMB, but since I'm on DEX, is there anything special I need to do? go back to CEX?

Zoe

Wow!

Ok, for those of us who actually own a disc copy of a game and want to play it on their broken blu-ray PS3, how do you actually get it from disc to the HDD?

Everybody on GAF takes apart the PS3 and repairs/replaces the drive. That's the only way to do it with your own hardware.

Wow!

I got the my system on Rebug 4.21 DEX and set it up with the way endlessflood described (thank you :) BTW), and have gotten the games I already have on there working. Just getting new games has been a problem. I assume I'll have to use my bluray drive on my PC.

Also I noticed that Rebug has released 4.30. I know usually all you have to do is the update from 4.21 to 4.30 via the XMB, but since I'm on DEX, is there anything special I need to do? go back to CEX?
The 4.30 Rebug CFW isn't a REX version (I.e. No DEX) so AFAIK you won't be able to use it for the BDEMU method, you'll need to stay on Rebug 4.21 REX. The Rebug 4.30 is just like Rogero only with some extra features.

To get games onto a PS3 with a broken Blu-Ray drive you need to use another CFW PS3 with a working Blu-Ray drive to rip them. I don't know about the PC angle, I haven't had to look into it because I have friends with CFW PS3s.

Everybody on GAF takes apart the PS3 and repairs/replaces the drive. That's the only way to do it with your own hardware.
Obviously that isn't correct, you just need another CFW PS3 with a working Blu-ray drive.

You see, I don't want to backup my games, I want to download them from internet, copy to internal/external hdd and then play them...
Well in that case good luck at the next forum you join Junior, because there's no place for you at NeoGAF.

Cloak

The 4.30 Rebug CFW isn't a REX version (I.e. No DEX) so AFAIK you won't be able to use it for the BDEMU method, you'll need to stay on Rebug 4.21 REX. The Rebug 4.30 is just like Rogero only with some extra features.

To get games onto a PS3 with a broken Blu-Ray drive you need to use another CFW PS3 with a working Blu-Ray drive to rip them. I don't know about the PC angle, I haven't had to look into it because I have friends with CFW PS3s.

Thanks. So I guess I'll stick with Rebug 4.21 for now. But if I did want to go to Rebug 4.30, would I need to re-flash my system with the one I dumped prior to going to DEX? (basically going reverse order from CEX to DEX?) or could I go up the normal route. (via the XMB)
I'm guessing/hoping there aren't many games out there at the moment that require 4.30

I'm hoping to find something way that I would be able to use my PC's bluray, just because my friends with CFW aren't so close.

On a side note, replacing the PS3 phat bluray, difficult?

Toby

Hey guys, I saw rebug released a 4.30 CFW. Just wondering what your opinions on it are.
Should I go with rebug 4.30.1 or rebug 4.21.2?
Thanks

Hey guys, I saw rebug released a 4.30 CFW. Just wondering what your opinions on it are.
Should I go with rebug 4.30.1 or rebug 4.21.2?
Thanks

The only question you need to ask is that are you going to use the CEX/DEX features? If Yes, 4.21.2 if not 4.30.1.

You can go to 4.30.1 and go back to 4.21.2 if you want to use that instead as long as your QA Flag is activated.

Wish people would stop bumping this thread, I keep getting my hopes up that they've brought out new CFW that you can use on all PS3s. Still stuck on my 3003B Slim....

test_account

XP-39C²
That is for the console only, your PSN account will be gone. But it shows that there is some ban check that allows to be bypassed.
Quoting myself here because it seems that this app simply changes the consoleID. I first thought that it edited something in the PS3 firmware that tricked the PSN servers somehow.

kikonawa

just download trough your XMB update .Or if you have a spoofer, just download the latest Official firmware, put it on an usb stick and update. thats it

Knch

If you don't know what a spoofer is, you probably don't have one. Either way, the latter option would seem to be the safer one.

A spoofer in this context, would probably be a program that tells the server you have a different firmware than you actually have.

So has it been confirmed yet that CFW = PSN Ban?
If so, is it really both console and account?
Is it even possible to connect to PSN anyways (AFAIK all the CFWs are on 4.30 and not 4.31)?

Top Bottom