• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

test_account

XP-39C²
So has it been confirmed yet that CFW = PSN Ban?
If so, is it really both console and account?
Is it even possible to connect to PSN anyways (AFAIK all the CFWs are on 4.30 and not 4.31)?
Yeah, several of people have been banned for using CFW, so its been confirmed that i can happen. It havnt happend to everyone, but i can happen. So far, i've only seen reports of both console and account being banned, not just an account ban.

If someone gets banned, does it keep them from downloading game updates or just connecting to PSN?

Because, if it's the latter then I'll just make a new PSN account and use that only with games loaded off the actual discs. If I get banned it's no loss because I'll just lose an extra PSN account and it's no different than staying off PSN to avoid a ban. If I don't get banned then I get to play online again.

test_account

XP-39C²
If someone gets banned, does it keep them from downloading game updates or just connecting to PSN?

Because, if it's the latter then I'll just make a new PSN account and use that only with games loaded off the actual discs. If I get banned it's no loss because I'll just lose an extra PSN account and it's no different than staying off PSN to avoid a ban. If I don't get banned then I get to play online again.
You only lose the ability to connect to PSN. Game updates are not tied to PSN, so you can download game updates without having a PSN account.

Agkel

Hey guys, I have an old phat console that is on 3.55cfw (kmeaw I believe) and I'm wanting to go to rogero's latest. Do I just update straight through the xmb? And do I need to do anything if I want to downgrade later on?

I should have installed the CFW back when it hit in May of 2011. Sigh.

Is it true that next-gen systems will be easier to hack seeing as they are using off-the-shelf components instead of custom ones ?

A proper 4.31 CFW has been released by a Spanish developer and it contains a few nifty features (OtherOS++, BD Emu, QA toggle). I don't know how stable it is, but here's the info:
http://www.ps3hax.net/2013/01/proper-translation-cfw-4-31-otheros-real-no-spoof-qaflag-bd-emu/

Hey guys, I have an old phat console that is on 3.55cfw (kmeaw I believe) and I'm wanting to go to rogero's latest. Do I just update straight through the xmb? And do I need to do anything if I want to downgrade later on?
http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/3.55_to_Rogero_4.30_Guide

You should toggle QA on your console first using Rebug's Toggle QA tool or Rebug Toolbox though. Don't forget to check that it's worked using the XMB menu before upgrading from 3.55.

Agkel

I installed rogero 2.05 (4.3) and it seems to have gone well, but whenever I try to run homebrew it goes to a black screen, I tried the latest multiman with the same result.

What could i be doing wrong?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is it true that next-gen systems will be easier to hack seeing as they are using off-the-shelf components instead of custom ones ?

Not necessarily. The hardware being based on current AMD architectures (the hardware itself isn't OTS) doesn't preclude additional customisations being made in the area of security.

I installed rogero 2.05 (4.3) and it seems to have gone well, but whenever I try to run homebrew it goes to a black screen, I tried the latest multiman with the same result.

What could i be doing wrong?

Homebrew needs to be signed for 4.xx if you want to run it on CFW4.30.

If you're trying to launch your backups and just get a black screen, try using the BD-Mirror option in MultiMAN before you launch the backup (under the game's settings in MultiMAN).

If they still don't work then it's probably because you patched them to run on 3.55. In that case you either need to undo the changes you made (i.e. put the original eboot or other replaced files back) or alternatively just re-rip the game.

ari

Banned
i need a ps2 emulator on my CFW. I wish cobra would stop making bank off the code from the dongle and help further the scene. :(

Agkel

I'm this close to throwing the whole thing out of the window. Here are the facts in case anyone has any idea how the heck I should proceed.

-My console is a fat 80 gb (the one that came with MGS)
-My console was on 3.55 kmeaw and everything was working last time I used it
-The console was safely stored away for a little over a year
-I upgraded straight to rogero 2.05 through xmb
-After upgrading the system info showed 4.31
-Homebrew would not launch and it would stay and freeze at a black screen. Even tried uninstalling everything and trying something like the latest multiman.
-I decide to downgrade using the 4.25 to 3.55 pup
-I downgrade successfully and my system shows 4.21
-Homebrew wont launch, but I can install applications
-I can detect update pups through xmb but when I choose them and go through the whole accept / yes options it restarts and when it's about to flash it says data corrupted no matter what cfw I try to flash
-If I try to flash through recovery, the xmb will stay over 15 min "looking" only to return with no data was found (ie it is not reading the usb file)
-I have tried 4 different usb sticks and one external hard drive to host the PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP file to no avail
-Ive made sure the drives are all fat32 and have tried formatting them to see if it would get fixed.
-I did a backup of my drive and restore everything on the system to default, formatting also the ps3 drive through the format util in xmb. Still the same problems

An additional problem is that at some point I read that I needed to activate BD by inserting any disc in order for homebrew to run. I try a dvd movie and motorstorm and the drive wont take the disc. As in there is absolutely no reaction from the PS3 when I put the disc in. No sound, no motor no nothing. If I try to insert the disc while the ps3 is off it will turn on the ps3 but the disc wont get "swallowed". The BD was working to perfection last time I had used the console.

This is a console that has seen very little use. I played MGS, heavenly sword to completion and a lot of LBP1 LBP2 and the Pixelmonster game, and maybe 2 or 3 hours of 12 or 15 titles I own, thats about it.

I have spent my entire weekend on this, and honestly if there's no easy solution to this, I'll just throw it in the closet and go back to my other consoles.

I'm this close to throwing the whole thing out of the window. Here are the facts in case anyone has any idea how the heck I should proceed.

-Homebrew would not launch and it would stay and freeze at a black screen. Even tried uninstalling everything and trying something like the latest multiman.
-I can detect update pups through xmb but when I choose them and go through the whole accept / yes options it restarts and when it's about to flash it says data corrupted no matter what cfw I try to flash
-If I try to flash through recovery, the xmb will stay over 15 min "looking" only to return with no data was found (ie it is not reading the usb file)
-I have tried 4 different usb sticks and one external hard drive to host the PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP file to no avail
-Ive made sure the drives are all fat32 and have tried formatting them to see if it would get fixed.
-I did a backup of my drive and restore everything on the system to default, formatting also the ps3 drive through the format util in xmb. Still the same problems

An additional problem is that at some point I read that I needed to activate BD by inserting any disc in order for homebrew to run. I try a dvd movie and motorstorm and the drive wont take the disc. As in there is absolutely no reaction from the PS3 when I put the disc in. No sound, no motor no nothing. If I try to insert the disc while the ps3 is off it will turn on the ps3 but the disc wont get "swallowed". The BD was working to perfection last time I had used the console.

This is a console that has seen very little use. I played MGS, heavenly sword to completion and a lot of LBP1 LBP2 and the Pixelmonster game, and maybe 2 or 3 hours of 12 or 15 titles I own, thats about it.

I have spent my entire weekend on this, and honestly if there's no easy solution to this, I'll just throw it in the closet and go back to my other consoles.
NA's tutorial that I posted says very specifically to upgrade via Recovery mode, not the XMB. I've never used a Rogero firmware so I don't know if that's the cause of your problems or not, but it seems like a pretty significant thing.

Did you toggle the QA flag before upgrading?

Agkel

NA's tutorial that I posted says very specifically to upgrade via Recovery mode, not the XMB. I've never used a Rogero firmware so I don't know if that's the cause of your problems or not, but it seems like a pretty significant thing.

Did you toggle the QA flag before upgrading?

I did not, I flashed before you posted.
I'm sure there is a way to get myself out of this situation, especially since I'm on the hybrid and still can install homebrew, I just haven't found a way to do it yet.

Also I read something about having to remarry a drive, perhaps that is what "killed" my drive.

Either way my priority is to get the system back to stable where I can launch homebrew without a problem. The BD drive fix will have come after

ari

Banned
is it a way to organize my xmb games and homebrew stuff manually without the shitty folders? it is getting extremely clunky.

EDIT: Nevermind. i'm a idiot.

I did not, I flashed before you posted.
I'm sure there is a way to get myself out of this situation, especially since I'm on the hybrid and still can install homebrew, I just haven't found a way to do it yet.

Also I read something about having to remarry a drive, perhaps that is what "killed" my drive.

Either way my priority is to get the system back to stable where I can launch homebrew without a problem. The BD drive fix will have come after

MultiMAN has a setting that is supposed to 'fix' Blu-ray drives that are broken in the way that you describe yours. Have you tried that?

Also it seems like the Rogero firmware has now butchered a few GAFer PS3s. I'm using the Rebug firmwares (4.21 REX and 4.30) on two PS3s and the whole upgrade/downgrade process has been absolutely bulletproof with them, and they're both as stable as kmeaw.

Unless I'm mistaken, this has never been a feature of MultiMan, but I wonder if it is even possible: Is there any way to get backup managers to simulate disc swaps?

I'm not sure how many games use disc swap, but it'd be nice to just be able to do Remix in DW7XL without having to use my actual discs.

Agkel

MultiMAN has a setting that is supposed to 'fix' Blu-ray drives that are broken in the way that you describe yours. Have you tried that?

Also it seems like the Rogero firmware has now butchered a few GAFer PS3s. I'm using the Rebug firmwares (4.21 REX and 4.30) on two PS3s and the whole upgrade/downgrade process has been absolutely bulletproof with them, and they're both as stable as kmeaw.

Thx, that's some much needed positive news, now to be able to get out of rogero. I'll keep on looking around and keep you all posted in case someone else goes through the same as I.

edit: Well, looking around, it seems that all of my problems stem from the ps3 not been able to detect the drive. So basically updating to rogero 4.30 screwed me up. I have no idea how I can get out of this situation... :(

Agkel

ok, so now im kind of getting somewhere,maybe...

I opened my ps3, disconnected the bd drive and ran the 3.7 cfw. It reads it and then gives me, the latest version of the system software is already installed message. It shouldnt say that but at least now im not getting data corrupted messages.

1 Download the Downgrader PUP ---> Downgrader PUP mirror ---> Downgrader PUP
Size 176MB (184,595,263 bytes) MD5: 49d80e07fc1f5ca1b0840e02e94635db

2 Rename the downloaded file to "PS3UPDAT.PUP" and put it on your USB in: "USB\PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP"

3 While on Rogero CFW4.30, go to System Update from XMB and install the Downgrader PUP.

4 After the Downgrader PUP installs you'll be on a hybrid CFW3.55 that will still shows the spoofed ver4.21 from system settings.

5 In case you didn't have it Set Before, Enable QA flag by following these steps:

6Now put "Rogero CEX-3.55 CFW V3.7" on your USB in: "USB\PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP" ---> Rogero CEX-3.55 CFW V3.7.PUP

7Start the PS3 and install "Rogero CEX-3.55 CFW V3.7" using the System Update from XMB.

8Once you're back on Rogero CFW3.55 v3.7 you can now install any CFW 3.55/4.21/4.30 using the System Update from XMB
( or Recovery Menu if XMB Update didn't work ).

I'm in steps 6,7,8 having skipped step 5 because my ps3 will only give me black screen when I try to run qa toggle

ok, so now im kind of getting somewhere,maybe...

I opened my ps3, disconnected the bd drive and ran the 3.7 cfw. It reads it and then gives me, the latest version of the system software is already installed message. It shouldnt say that but at least now im not getting data corrupted messages.

1 Download the Downgrader PUP ---> Downgrader PUP mirror ---> Downgrader PUP
Size 176MB (184,595,263 bytes) MD5: 49d80e07fc1f5ca1b0840e02e94635db

2 Rename the downloaded file to "PS3UPDAT.PUP" and put it on your USB in: "USB\PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP"

3 While on Rogero CFW4.30, go to System Update from XMB and install the Downgrader PUP.

4 After the Downgrader PUP installs you'll be on a hybrid CFW3.55 that will still shows the spoofed ver4.21 from system settings.

5 In case you didn't have it Set Before, Enable QA flag by following these steps:

6Now put "Rogero CEX-3.55 CFW V3.7" on your USB in: "USB\PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP" ---> Rogero CEX-3.55 CFW V3.7.PUP

7Start the PS3 and install "Rogero CEX-3.55 CFW V3.7" using the System Update from XMB.

8Once you're back on Rogero CFW3.55 v3.7 you can now install any CFW 3.55/4.21/4.30 using the System Update from XMB
( or Recovery Menu if XMB Update didn't work ).

I'm in steps 6,7,8 having skipped step 5 because my ps3 will only give me black screen when I try to run qa toggle
In addition to Toggle QA, you can also use Rebug Toolbox 2.01 to enable the QA flag.

Just make sure you run the XMB menu test after you've done it to make sure it worked properly.

Agkel

In addition to Toggle QA, you can also use Rebug Toolbox 2.01 to enable the QA flag.

Just make sure you run the XMB menu test after you've done it to make sure it worked properly.

I installed rebug toolbox sucessfully but again, it goes to a black screen when launched and it just stays there, like multiman and qa toggle do.

I'm taking a break for a couple of days to study for exams and I'll resume on friday after work.

Has anyone tried the MiralaTijera CFW 4.31 firmware?

Is there a reason to choose 4.31 vs 4.30? Are there any games that require 4.31?

I'm just wondering if I should go with that or stick with Rogero(I'm still on 3.55 kmeaw).

Has anyone tried the MiralaTijera CFW 4.31 firmware?

Is there a reason to choose 4.31 vs 4.30? Are there any games that require 4.31?

I'm just wondering if I should go with that or stick with Rogero(I'm still on 3.55 kmeaw).
Based on what some of the other guys in here have reported I'd advise staying well clear of Rogero and going for Rebug instead.

As to the new 4.31 firmware, I'd be wary of jumping in quickly if you don't have a hardware flasher. There are some games that require 4.31 but I don't know of any that haven't been patched to work on the other 4.xx CFWs yet so I don't think there's any particular hurry.

ari

Banned
Please excuse me for my ignorance but what is wrong with Rogeros CFW? Just curious?

i don't know, I'm on rogeros 4.30 2.03 and its been perfect for me other then me having a hard time looking for pkg resignings.

(anyone have a list of rogeros signings? the OP and its links are very outdated.)

Agkel

i don't know, I'm on rogeros 4.30 2.03 and its been perfect for me other then me having a hard time looking for pkg resignings.

(anyone have a list of rogeros signings? the OP and its links are very outdated.)

Would you be able to give me one of your homebrew signed for 4.xx I want to see if I am able to run it on my current cfw. If I can, then I would only need to run a signed rebug tools to enable qa and then be able to get out of this mess I'm in.

I was told there is an app that resigns all your homebrew with one click, and I actually downloaded it a while back. Can't remember the name as I haven't used it (still on 3.55)

Is such a thing possible or have I been fooled?

Please excuse me for my ignorance but what is wrong with Rogeros CFW? Just curious?
Some guys in here have been reporting problems with it FWIW:

This is where i am currently. If anyone can point me out to where i can get help that'd be great!

When i check under System Information through XMB, it shows that i'm on Firmware 4.21. In multiman, it shows as: 3.55 [SC-36 hermes]

I recently got some games working through the XMB that i had on there. I can enter multiman or Showtime, but i can't exit them. When i click on the games on my HDD, i get a black screen and nothing happens. Showtime freezes after a few minutes.

Have tried the 4.25>3.55 downgrader. Downloads the update through XMB no problem. When it's about to install i get an error code [forget which]. Have tried to do the toggle_QA just for shits and giggles. Get the beeps, then black screen with those little stars spinning around but nothing after that.

Since my system was once at 3.55, what would happen if i choose system restore? To which state would it restore it? Is there anyway i can get back to OFW 3.55?

TIA!

I've tried the QA_Toggle but to no avail. System gets bugged at a black screen, have to manually reset. I might have to settle for my two games i can play off the XMB and get used to having to turn off the system by hand to quit them.

Thanks for looking though!

My ps3 is on rogero cfw.
It now is on a hard drive corruption loop. (fix, restart, corrupt etc.)
Any ideas to help me fix this?

ss_lemonade

I went from 3.55 to the latest rogero cfw and initially had problems with majority of the stuff on my ps3. I spent some time then researching and manually fixing/resigning psn games to get them working again. Backups worked after running their official patch updates or downloading the updates through multiman

Agkel

Just got out of my exams, I was going to start working again on fixing my ps3 but im too tired so ill probably start tom.

How do I go about signing homebrew for 4.xx?
I want to see if signing rebug tools will allow me to run it and be able to toggle qa.

Just got out of my exams, I was going to start working again on fixing my ps3 but im too tired so ill probably start tom.

How do I go about signing homebrew for 4.xx?
I want to see if signing rebug tools will allow me to run it and be able to toggle qa.

I went from kmeaw 3.55 to Rebug 4.30.1 and all of my backups still worked (even the ones that had been patched for 3.55, and even ones that had had their eboots replaced). I didn't have any PSN games to deal with though so maybe that complicates things. After updating, all I did was get the latest versions of MultiMAN, RetroArch, and Showtime (all signed for 4.xx). That was it, everything was then working as it had been before.

To toggle QA you need to be on a 3.55 firmware, anything higher than that can't set the QA flag (except for the new MiralaTijera CFW 4.31 supposedly). Both Toggle QA and the Rubug Toolbox will set the QA flag successfully on kmeaw 3.55, you don't need to be on a Rebug firmware for either of those methods to work. Once you've done it just make sure you test it from 3.55 before updating (use the XMB menu test).

ari

Banned
anybody else having trouble dumping their games? I have no trouble swapping my discs out, but i would like to use my tb for something. :/

on rogero 2.03 if that helps.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
RetroArch will not load on my PS3.....RA does support 3.55cfw right? If not I'll go back to using the old emulators

Firehead

Wanted to hack my PS3 again and saw that it's now possible to downgrade PS3s. What would I need to downgrade an 80GB BC PS3 (The one with MGS4)?

ari

Banned
Wanted to hack my PS3 again and saw that it's now possible to downgrade PS3s. What would I need to downgrade an 80GB BC PS3 (The one with MGS4)?

E3 flasher. Guys would downgrade your ps3 for 50 bucks on ebay if you are willing to ship your ps3 in the mail. Better then to buy the e3 flasher all together unless you are doing multiple units.

televator

That's good to know. Thanks!

There's at least one movie that I think will never be released stateside, and was trying to count up any available options. Sounds like it might be easier to CFW mod the PS3 rather than order a hardware bypassed stand alone player.

Hey guys. I'm trying to play Kengo 3 (JAP) for the PS2 on my hacked fat PS3, but it's giving me a region error. Is there a way to make it playable? Played it ages ago on my old PS2 with Swap Magic..I'd like to avoid whipping it out. Thanks in advance.

I'm installing CFW for the first time on my launch 60GB PS3 on the official 4.31 firmware. Do I just install 4.31 CFW, or are there other steps I need to take?

I read through the installing CFW link in the OP, but it only mentioned 3.55

Thanks

baphomet

I'm installing CFW for the first time on my launch 60GB PS3 on the official 4.31 firmware. Do I just install 4.31 CFW, or are there other steps I need to take?

I read through the installing CFW link in the OP, but it only mentioned 3.55

Thanks

If you're on OFW 4.31 a hardware flash is your only option.

gtmax

Just wanted to say i managed to fix my CFW ps3. I had given up on it and was ready to break it or throw it out the window. It's a good thing i never reformatted the HD nor deleted my backups on my PC. To recap my problem and solution:

Was on 3.55 Kmeaw, all was well
updated to Rogero 4.30, all was fucked
Was most likely my own fault for messing something up during install
Did so many combos i couldn't keep track
Problem was i would get a black screen whenever i entered anything (games, Showtime, MM, etc)
Could only play games off xmb, only had 2 games, couldn't exit them, had to turn system off
System could never turn off without giving me error beeps
Downgraded, upgraded, OFW>CFW, nothing worked
Today gave it a last try after talking to a friend
Brought it back to OFW, then Rogero 4.30 V1.02
Update went ok, but nothing would work
Got the same message saying the system might be corrupt, usually i ignore it since it says it takes up to 2hrs to fix, this time i tried it
Now the system can properly turn off and i can enter programs and exit no problem!
After more fiddling, basically, Rog 4.30>4.25>3.55 downgrader>OFW3.55>3.55 Kmeaw
Wasn't able to run QA_flagg because package files wouldn't install, after i had updated to 4.30
With some luck, was able to get it down to Kmeaw and now all is as it was!!!

I can give my 60gig (now 500gig) fat, OFW ps3 a break now. And goodbye Cinavia!

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Just wanted to say i managed to fix my CFW ps3. I had given up on it and was ready to break it or throw it out the window. It's a good thing i never reformatted the HD nor deleted my backups on my PC. To recap my problem and solution:

Was on 3.55 Kmeaw, all was well
updated to Rogero 4.30, all was fucked
Was most likely my own fault for messing something up during install
Did so many combos i couldn't keep track
Problem was i would get a black screen whenever i entered anything (games, Showtime, MM, etc)
Could only play games off xmb, only had 2 games, couldn't exit them, had to turn system off
System could never turn off without giving me error beeps
Downgraded, upgraded, OFW>CFW, nothing worked
Today gave it a last try after talking to a friend
Brought it back to OFW, then Rogero 4.30 V1.02
Update went ok, but nothing would work
Got the same message saying the system might be corrupt, usually i ignore it since it says it takes up to 2hrs to fix, this time i tried it
Now the system can properly turn off and i can enter programs and exit no problem!
After more fiddling, basically, Rog 4.30>4.25>3.55 downgrader>OFW3.55>3.55 Kmeaw
Wasn't able to run QA_flagg because package files wouldn't install, after i had updated to 4.30
With some luck, was able to get it down to Kmeaw and now all is as it was!!!

I can give my 60gig (now 500gig) fat, OFW ps3 a break now. And goodbye Cinavia!

Ouch. Good job though.

Is there a way to get demos off PSN without going on PSN? I want to try the new One Piece Kaizoku Musou 2 demo that is on the Japanese PSN.

gtmax

im in the same position i was last time before completely almost ruining my system. I can't access any of the new games so its time to upgrade from 3.55 kmeaw. HOWEVER, i'm scared shitles it might go wrong again and i don't want to make this mistake twice.

Couple of questions then:

I've patched some games like my copy of Arkham City (pic upon request if in doubt) but it won't load up from MM. So most new games don't work with 3.55Kmeaw despite changing eboot and Param files?

2) I'm not messing with Rogero, thinking of Rebug 4.30.1. Will games running the latest firmware work with this? I'd assume yes but just want to make sure before jumping ship again.

Is this the procedure to update:
run QA flag
boot into recovery mode
down to 3.55 OFW>4.30.1 Rebug?

Top Bottom