• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

Thanks guys, so I take it these instructions work with the latest Rebug Rex version?

What are Cex and Dex systems?

Yeah, the only thing that really changes is the version numbers. Technically you can set the QA flag while on higher firmwares now, but I'd still advise doing it from 3.55.

CEX consoles are retail units. DEX consoles are Debug units. Debug units have lots of cool features that retail units don't have (and have their own special version of each firmware). A way to convert your PS3 from being a CEX console to being a DEX console was found. There are some downsides to DEX firmware though (including the fact that getting back to CEX can be tricky). REBUG solved that problem though with the REX firmware, which lets you basically switch between CEX and DEX at will (once you have a CEX and DEX flash dump prepared).

Unless you either want to mess around with the cool tech stuff (and have a good handle on what you're doing), or have a broken Blu-ray drive, you probably don't need to worry about DEX, but it's cool to have it as an option.

This may have been answered before, but do you guys know if the PS4 will be easier to hack, since it is using standard PC components and stuff ? I missed the window to install a custom system software on my PS3; I'm hoping the PS4 won't take as long to hack.

RaikuHebi

Banned
This may have been answered before, but do you guys know if the PS4 will be easier to hack, since it is using standard PC components and stuff ? I missed the window to install a custom system software on my PS3; I'm hoping the PS4 won't take as long to hack.
Well it's got the same debug format with APP_HOME and INSTALL PACKAGE FILES so it looks likely.

Personally I have two PS3s, one strictly for CFW use (connected online, but not used on the PSN), and one for using on the PSN (on OFW). From the point of view of online cheating, etc., I'd actually prefer that no CFW PS3s could get on the PSN, but that's just me.

Amen.

If you still want to be connected to the internet in general but avoid being banned you can configure firewall rules in your router to block access to:

fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > Update Server (sys updates)
mercury.dl.playstation.net > What’s new ads
nsx.np.dl.playstation.net > playstation store preview
nsx-e.np.dl.playstation.net > ads

(main file exchange connections)
us.np.stun.playstation.net > on boot initiates connection
ena.net.playstation.net > SSLv3 connection after above connection
dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > secondary update attempt (could force updates)
auth.np.ac.playstation.net > SSLv3 authentication server

(destination servers)
service.playstation.net (has multiple IPs if only the ip address is blocked)

(Error Reporting)
creepo.ww.hl.playstation.net (uploads crash reports etc.)

(Japan)
djp01.ps3.update.playstation.net
jp.np.stun.playstation.net

(Gathered from other sources)
tmdb.np.dl.playstation.net
xmb.dl.playstation.net

Perhaps someone else can chime in as to whether this list is exhaustive or not. I know it began with only a few addresses, and more were discovered as time went on.

Wildcarding anything "playstation.net" would probably cover you, but I can't figure out how to do that reliably from within Tomato.

Tried it ages ago and didn't work. Seems to be working now--just add "playstation.net$" without quotes as your tomato REGEX in access restrictions. Not sure if that would still allow game updates...

You guys are really too cautious about this ban thing. I have 4 or 5 friends who use cfw, play online and didnt get banned for the last 6 months.

Edit: whatever you do just dont play black ops online. That game will get u banned in just an hour. Except that play whatever u want online.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Personally I have two PS3s, one strictly for CFW use (connected online, but not used on the PSN), and one for using on the PSN (on OFW).
Same here. Slim for CFW and Fat for OFW. The Fat was luckily given to me by someone else (Slim was my first PS3) and double luckily was low enough to install CFW. Wish I kept it on there, I don't even use online. I'll probably hardware downgrade it in the future.

If continued and uninterrupted PSN access is crucial to you, maybe CFW is not the way to go though.
Exactly what 4 of my friends concluded. I hacked all of their PS3s but they all upgraded after preferring online. Ah well at least they can be hardware downgraded.

You guys are really too cautious about this ban thing. I have 4 or 5 friends who use cfw, play online and didnt get banned for the last 6 months.
I agree, I think the people getting banned are hackers or making their presence really obvious.

So quick question. I got an old 60gb fat that has not been in about 4 years since the bluray drive broke. Can I use a CFW and be able to play PS1/2 ISO or does it still require a disc?

Been wanting to beat Valkyria Profile 2 and Lunar 2 for years but it does not work well on an pc emulator and the game boxd are just sitting there mocking me lol.

RetroMG

What is the best way to buy a 3.55 PS3? My old PS3 died, and if I'm going to replace it, I'd might as well get back into the homebrew scene. I see a couple listed on ebay for decent prices.

RaikuHebi

Banned
So quick question. I got an old 60gb fat that has not been in about 4 years since the bluray drive broke. Can I use a CFW and be able to play PS1/2 ISO or does it still require a disc?

Been wanting to beat Valkyria Profile 2 and Lunar 2 for years but it does not work well on an pc emulator and the game boxd are just sitting there mocking me lol.
Should be able to actually restore that unit to playing PS3 games, let alone PS1 and PS2 games.

What is the best way to buy a 3.55 PS3? My old PS3 died, and if I'm going to replace it, I'd might as well get back into the homebrew scene. I see a couple listed on ebay for decent prices.
The way you said. Other option is to buy a higher firmware fat PS3 or earlier Slim model and downgrade the firmware yourself using hardware (no soldering required depending on the model).

Cobra dongle source code has been released:

Cobra Features:

- Blu Ray Movie region free functionality
- Allows you to play Blu Ray movie ISO’s from HDD
- Allows you to play DVD movie ISO’s from HDD
- Integrated support to play PS1 game from HDD and DISK
- Integrated support to play PSP game ISO’s from HDD
- Enjoy PS3 games with files >4GB on external USB HDD (FAT32)
- Enjoy PS3/BD/DVD/PSX ISO/CUE+BIN from network
- Integrated support to play PS2 ISO's on CECHC,CECHE, CECHA and CECHB backwards compatible consoles.
- PS3, PSX, DVD and BluRay ISO's can now be played without a real disc inserted in the PS3

Ashhong

Is REBUG REX better than Rogero? I am on 4.46 Rogero and would like to upgrade to 4.5 soon. Is there any lost functionality by going to REBUG? Multiman and stuff still works right?

Speaking of Multiman, everytime I load it it ejects my disc (usually a BD movie) saying "configuring access". Is there a way to make that stop? Or do I just need to put in a game instead of a movie? Would like to keep movies in there..

jrcbandit

Edit: whatever you do just dont play black ops online. That game will get u banned in just an hour. Except that play whatever u want online.

Ever since installing custom firmware, I've never played a game online, I just used my PC and Xbox for that. All I did was download PS + games, watched Netflix and various movies locally via Showtime, and played a couple of games single player (MGR, Ni no Kuni, and Last of US off disc and a few PSN games like Guacamelee) and still got banned. Before those games, I hadn't even turned on my PS3 in quite awhile other than Netflix.

So you can randomly be banned for just having custom firmware via a scan or whatever. I had my PS3 online for 6 months without issue until it finally happened - a couple of weeks before I got banned, I even wiped all the internal directories where I had ripped my PS3 library and removed Showtime and other apps because I heard Sony scanned for that.

You get both your account and console banned which sucks because I lost all my Vita games I bought digitally since I had to create a new account to be able to use the Vita on my upcoming PS4. I even had to rebuy PS+ ;p. It made me not very interested in gaming on my Vita anymore, so I am just going to primarily use it for remote play on the PS4 ;p.

missile

Scan some of your local second-hand dealers. I bought a couple of PS3s that
way while checking for functionality and FW version first. One of those PS3
was even on OFW 3.11.

RaikuHebi

Banned
You get both your account and console banned which sucks because I lost all my Vita games I bought digitally since I had to create a new account to be able to use the Vita on my upcoming PS4. I even had to rebuy PS+ ;p. It made me not very interested in gaming on my Vita anymore, so I am just going to primarily use it for remote play on the PS4 ;p.
This is exactly why I'm making sure not to take my account with Vita stuff online.

Scan some of your local second-hand dealers. I bought a couple of PS3s that
way while checking for functionality and FW version first. One of those PS3
was even on OFW 3.11.
I didn't take this account with my answer because it seems too good to be true, but I suppose one can be surprised like how the extra PS3 I was given in 2011 was still on a 2.something firmware.

Is REBUG REX better than Rogero? I am on 4.46 Rogero and would like to upgrade to 4.5 soon. Is there any lost functionality by going to REBUG? Multiman and stuff still works right?

Speaking of Multiman, everytime I load it it ejects my disc (usually a BD movie) saying "configuring access". Is there a way to make that stop? Or do I just need to put in a game instead of a movie? Would like to keep movies in there..

REBUG REX has a lot more features than the Rogero firmwares, and is the firmware that deank (the guy who makes MultiMAN) recommends.

For the second part, you mean when trying to launch a game from MultiMan? You'll need a PS3 game in the drive for that to work properly I think. My Blu-ray drive doesn't work at all so can't really help you much there.

RaikuHebi

Banned
REBUG REX has a lot more features than the Rogero firmwares, and is the firmware that deank (the guy who makes MultiMAN) recommends.

For the second part, you mean when trying to launch a game from MultiMan? You'll need a PS3 game in the drive for that to work properly I think. My Blu-ray drive doesn't work at all so can't really help you much there.
Yes it has to be a game. Ashhong's been playing discless up till now.

missile

... I didn't take this account with my answer because it seems too good to be true, but I suppose one can be surprised like how the extra PS3 I was given in 2011 was still on a 2.something firmware.
I bought three PS3s that way to satisfy my Cell programming appetite for the
years to come. I think, I could get some more PS3s from said stores in my
city (Vienna). Those who actually sold their PS3 to said stores may perhaps
never cared that much about updating their PS3 anyways, or used them as a Blu-
ray player ... whatever. So it's a pretty good advice to checkout these stores
and grab as many as you can. The price tag was about €150 on average, since
most sellers don't know about the value of a PS3 with OFW <= 3.55. As I was
about to get the 3.11 PS3 mentioned earlier, I told the seller that this PS3
is pretty old going by the firmware. I got it for &#8364;135. I would have paid &#8364;300
- &#8364;400 to get it! xD

RaikuHebi

Banned
I bought three PS3s that way to satisfy my Cell programming appetite for the
years to come. I think, I could get some more PS3s from said stores in my
city (Vienna). Those who actually sold their PS3 to said stores may perhaps
never cared that much about updating their PS3 anyways, or used them as a Blu-
ray player ... whatever. So it's a pretty good advice to checkout these stores
and grab as many as you can. The price tag was about €150 on average, since
most sellers don't know about the value of a PS3 with OFW <= 3.55. As I was
about to get the 3.11 PS3 mentioned earlier, I told the seller that this PS3
is pretty old going by the firmware. I got it for €135. I would have paid €300
- €400 to get it! xD
That's a damn good deal. I'm in the UK myself. It certainly would be worth hunting around used shops. I'm paranoid that my CFW PS3 will die one day, need a few backups to stay calm haha.

Ashhong

Oh cool thanks, guess I'll go to REBUG. I believe it is the same process to switch? Is there a 4.50 REBUG out?

Yes it has to be a game. Ashhong's been playing discless up till now.

Yup, I watch a lot of blu-rays and almost never a movie in one night so I have usually have a disc in there while I play games off of my HDD. Thought there might be an option to make it stop doing that.

missile

That's a damn good deal. I'm in the UK myself. It certainly would be worth hunting around used shops. I'm paranoid that my CFW PS3 will die one day, need a few backups to stay calm haha.
Better get one more and put it into a bunker. I guess the CFW PS3s will
balloon in price once the PS3 dies on a global scope. In five to ten years
from now a CFW PS3 will be a very valuable thing to have. What I love about
the PS3 is that this system might be one of the last custom-built systems
out there. From an architectural point of view, this system has a story to
tell. The development of the Cell processor is a unique event in video
game history -- a beautiful piece of hardware.
It's still one of my favorite projects to program, in fully assembly, a 3d
software rasterizer solely running out of the Cell processor's SPE units and
its combined 2MB programmable on-chip memory. I recently did something similar
for Notch's DCPU (see here, scroll down). Well, I also bought a PS2 Linux Kit
back in the days and it's now about 10+ years old and runs just fine. It's
pretty cool to have access to fully programmable gaming consoles that were
once the spearhead of the gaming industry.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So I've got a JB PS3 that we use in the living room as a general media player, it is at my friends currently but will be shortly back in my care. But anyway, is it possible to use Netflix on it at all?

As my friend has it currently we have been using the Wii to watch Netflix, but if we could move it all to one device, that would be much better, but knowing from my non-JB PS3 that you need to be signed in to use the service will that be a problem?

So I've got a JB PS3 that we use in the living room as a general media player, it is at my friends currently but will be shortly back in my care. But anyway, is it possible to use Netflix on it at all?

As my friend has it currently we have been using the Wii to watch Netflix, but if we could move it all to one device, that would be much better, but knowing from my non-JB PS3 that you need to be signed in to use the service will that be a problem?

Searching this very thread shows people successfully using Netflix on CFW, but some believe it contributed to their eventual console ban...

Anyone have any experience with Coldboot Installer? Is using this risky? I've always hated the boot screens post 2.80 and apparently I can use something to rip the original .raf and .ac3 files from 2.80 and get my REBUG 4.46.1 to boot with those instead?

that would be a dream come true, but if this procedure falls under "risky" I might skip it...

Is there something within REBUG that would allow me to extract these files from a 2.80 PUP? Any suggestions on what tool to use?

Thx.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Anyone have any experience with Coldboot Installer? Is using this risky? I've always hated the boot screens post 2.80 and apparently I can use something to rip the original .raf and .ac3 files from 2.80 and get my REBUG 4.46.1 to boot with those instead?

that would be a dream come true, but if this procedure falls under "risky" I might skip it...

Is there something within REBUG that would allow me to extract these files from a 2.80 PUP? Any suggestions on what tool to use?

Thx.
You should be fine. If anything goes wrong just use the official recovery mode to reinstall the firmware.

VSH Plugin Sample.

Features:

- Run tasks in the background
- Tasks are running all the time (vsh, ingame, etc.)

Requirements:

- 4.46 Firmware Cex or Dex with LV2 Syscall 10 (e.g. Rebug)
- 4.50 Firmware with LV2 Syscall 10 (untested, dunno if it exists at all)

Nice, does this means CEX systems will get the debug and cheat plugins that DEX have access to?

A video capture plug in would be awesome.

RetroMG

So I got a BC PS3 from Gamestop on the vague hope of getting a 3.55 console. Sadly, it came with 4.something. Guess I'll look into a flasher or send it to someone who can do it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can't seem to install Rogero's CFW 4.46 on a mate's PS3. I'm currently on Rogero's CFW 3.55 (downgrader) and when I attempt to update to 4.46, I'm told that the data is corrupted, yet the MD5 sum of the file matches that on Rogero's site. Any ideas?

Edit: Err, 4.46, not 4.36.

Edit edit: Ah, I didn't realise you had to jump from the downgrader to a proper CFW 3.55/OFW 3.55 before moving up to another CFW. Problem solved!

kitanii

Banned
should i update the ps3 to the newest fw first if i want to downgrade it?

Doesn't matter which firmware you have if you're going to downgrade. What matters is which PS3 model you have. 3xxxx and 4xxxx series can't be downgraded at all.
To downgrade from an official firmware you need a hardware flasher.

If you downgrade to OFW 3.55 install a CFW 3.55 first and make sure to QA flag it.
QA flagging it gives you an option to downgrade to lower CFWs if you go above CFW 3.55. So you always have the option of going back to a solid ground or just to try out different CFWs.

Apprently rogero's 4.50 1.01 comes with the QA flag enabled by default so I'm not sure you need to install a CFW 3.55 and QA flag that way, but it's a safe bet.
I was just recommended do to just that by the folks over at psx-scene.com.

ReactPSN is apparently a nice app used to disable the need of connecting to PSN to install game updates and what not. Which also gives you the option of going online without any danger of getting banned from PSN? NOTE: I don't know much about ReactPSN so don't take my word for it. This is just from what I've read here and there.

Ashhong

Hey so I installed my Battlefield 4 onto the HDD but when I load the game using Multiman, the game freezes EVERY TIME at the exact same spot in the first video of the campaign. I can't seem to get it to work, any ideas? I've already deleted and recopied it onto my HDD

kitanii

Banned
Hey so I installed my Battlefield 4 onto the HDD but when I load the game using Multiman, the game freezes EVERY TIME at the exact same spot in the first video of the campaign. I can't seem to get it to work, any ideas? I've already deleted and recopied it onto my HDD

Try updating multiman? And the CFW perhaps? Be sure to eject any disc you have in it first though. If updating CFW that is.

zychi

Banned

You may need to turn on a random setting like "internal" in multiman.

Are you able to play your legal purchased copy online? I've been looking into it for Madden and a few rpgs that have online sharing. There seems to be app/program/whatever that covers your cfw. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm afraid to get my id/console banned tho.

Tohsaka

You may need to turn on a random setting like "internal" in multiman.

Are you able to play your legal purchased copy online? I've been looking into it for Madden and a few rpgs that have online sharing. There seems to be app/program/whatever that covers your cfw. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm afraid to get my id/console banned tho.

I've played plenty of (single player) games while connected to PSN on my CFW system without any issues. I've never tried multiplayer, but I've heard that you're extremely likely to get banned if you play the CoD games on a CFW system.

baphomet

Is 3.55 still the highest firmware you can be at to go to custom firmware? I was given 2 nonworking ps3's and so far the one ive fixed is at 4.30 ofw. I dont know if rogero 4.30 can be installed from there, or if its basically only an upgrade path from 3.55.

Dereck

Is 3.55 still the highest firmware you can be at to go to custom firmware? I was given 2 nonworking ps3's and so far the one ive fixed is at 4.30 ofw. I dont know if rogero 4.30 can be installed from there, or if its basically only an upgrade path from 3.55.
If you have a PS3 that is OFW 3.55, you can install rogero through software.

If you have a PS3 that is higher than OFW 3.55, you're gonna have to find out if that PS3 was manufactured with a OFW higher than 3.55, if so, you're out of luck, if not, you can downgrade the PS3 through a hardware hack, then install rogero.

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm wondering here if anybody has sold their CFW Ps3's, and if so around what price did you ask for it?

Sorry for bumping this old thread but I'm thinking about selling mine. I want to make the switch to PS4 fulltime because I love the DS4 and kinda hate the DS3 now :p.

Top Bottom