• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

You can also use Swap Magic to get around PS2 region lock on any PS2 compatible PS3 (no CFW required), or if you don't have that you can insert a correct region PS2 game and then physically swap it if you semi dismantle your PS3,

How does Swap Magic work in this instance? Because from what I know ejecting Swap Magic and putting in a new one just expands the ToC for the game you're actually going to play when you use it on a PS2.

BKK

How does Swap Magic work in this instance? Because from what I know ejecting Swap Magic and putting in a new one just expands the ToC for the game you're actually going to play when you use it on a PS2.

I can't say, I never used it, I used the physical swap method. I do remember that prior to PS3 being hacked that the advocated method was Swap Magic. What I can say is that once a PS1 or PS2 disc is inserted the region check is made. After then it does not check again.

I can't say, I never used it, I used the physical swap method. I do remember that prior to PS3 being hacked that the advocated method was Swap Magic. What I can say is that once a PS1 or PS2 disc is inserted the region check is made. After then it does not check again.

That's interesting to note. I might have to try this on The Rumble Fish seeing that's a game on PS2 that I know doesn't work correctly normally with Swap Magic. I'll see what happens and tell you what I find.

BKK

That's interesting to note. I might have to try this on The Rumble Fish seeing that's a game on PS2 that I know doesn't work correctly normally with Swap Magic. I'll see what happens and tell you what I find.

Incidentally, you can also use the disc swap method (and I would guess Swap Magic) to load FMCB on a PS2 BC PS3. That was pretty cool before PS3 got hacked, but was a pita. After PS3 got hacked it was no longer interesting (USB speeds far lower than HDD), so I guess it would be difficult to find the PS3 specific software to run that now.

Honestly, CFW was just great for me.
I use my PS3 now mostly because of Showtime, as it can play a bunch of videofiles with subs and there's the Twitch app too that works great.

Yaponchik

Banned
Is it not possible to play PS2 backups off an NTFS external using Rebug 4.6x, or am I doing something wrong? Multiman only reads them if they're internal. In both cases I'm just putting a 1:1 backup in PS2ISO (root). Slim PS3 btw

Haven't followed the scene for quite a while, can the PS3 now read external NTFS?

MYSIS POC Plugin v0.2

Start/Stop Gameplay recording (XMB ingame, almost like on ps4!)

Video Format: 1280x720 @ 5Mbit and 30fps (Codec: M4HD)
AAC @ 96K AAC @ 96K

Note: This feature will require 16+ mb memory + SPU processing power and thus might not work on all games, or crash the console. So far it worked on Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD + Birth by Sleep (perfectly), Mini Ninjas, Multiman, Rebug Toolbox...Will not (yet) work on PS1/PS2/PSP Games. Feel free to add more tested games at: http://www.psdevwiki...Talk:Rec_plugin

Nice!!!

Tealmann

Quick question, I can't find this on google and the op doesn't say
I have an 80gb phat PS3 that doesn't play PS2 games on the latest firmware, is there anything I can do with it?

MMaRsu

Banned
Quick question, I can't find this on google and the op doesn't say
I have an 80gb phat PS3 that doesn't play PS2 games on the latest firmware, is there anything I can do with it?

Nope. not unless you hardware flash the nand right guys?

Merkunt

I'm starting to have issues with my fat ps3 (ylod). I'm wondering if I should get a CFW PS3 or not.

What are the biggest issues I'll face besides not having access to PSN?

How good is Arcade emulation (Mame), mainly PolyGameMaster, CPS 2/3, NeoGeo and Sega Model 2/3?

Can I run NTSC discs of psx games without issues on a PAL CFW PS3? What about PSX/2 isos?

How does DLC work with CFW? Example: Artorias of the Abyss and Ultra SSFIV

I searched for some of these online but I'd like to confirm my doubts with GAF first,

Regards

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Can I install CFW on my 60GB PS3 that still has Other OS support without losing that version number (If I want to revert) or do I need to update to 3.55?

Everything I've seen mentions 3.55 so I just wanted to be sure.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hmm I don't really see much on keeping my low OS version that still has Other OS. Looks like I guess I'll have to update to 3.55 and then install a CFW.

Is Kmeaw 3.55 still the preferred CFW? I see a bunch of other ones like Habib, Rebug, Rogero. I'm confused on which one should be installed.

Hmm I don't really see much on keeping my low OS version that still has Other OS. Looks like I guess I'll have to update to 3.55 and then install a CFW.

Is Kmeaw 3.55 still the preferred CFW? I see a bunch of other ones like Habib, Rebug, Rogero. I'm confused on which one should be installed.

I'm far from an expert, but at the point I re-educated myself on the matter (about a year ago) REBUG was the way to go.

I believe REBUG lets you keep an existing Other OS install as well if you desire...

Kmeaw has been left in the dust a long time ago. I've stuck with Rebug since leaving Kmeaw and haven't had any issues. As long as you set your QA Flag is there's no harm or foul reading up on the firmwares and trying them as you see fit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Doesn't matter which firmware you have if you're going to downgrade. What matters is which PS3 model you have. 3xxxx and 4xxxx series can't be downgraded at all.
To downgrade from an official firmware you need a hardware flasher.

Anyone have more information on this? Last I heard you could only flash the board to downgrade once so you can't switch between CFW/OFW in a back-and-forth fashion while wiping the CFW stuff off the PS3 for 100% "official" functions. Has that changed?

Jomjom

Banned
Is there a 100% safe or nearly safe way to sync trophies while on CFW? I'd like to confirm before starting the Tales of Vesperia fan sub.

Is there a 100% safe or nearly safe way to sync trophies while on CFW? I'd like to confirm before starting the Tales of Vesperia fan sub.

I know that certain firmwares let you disable a lot of the things that CFW's do but even then there's no guarantee of safety once you connect to those servers. So do it at your own risk.

Personally, I don't think its worth it now. In a couple of years when Sony isn't caring what you do on a PS3 and you still care to sync those trophies then maybe.

Jomjom

Banned
I know that certain firmwares let you disable a lot of the things that CFW's do but even then there's no guarantee of safety once you connect to those servers. So do it at your own risk.

Personally, I don't think its worth it now. In a couple of years when Sony isn't caring what you do on a PS3 and you still care to sync those trophies then maybe.

Ah that's good advice. When PS3 hits PSP status I'll try to sync then. Probably take that long for me to beat Vesperia anyway with my backlog.

Is the info in the OP still relevant? I'm looking for a clear tutorial on how to downgrade to 3.55 (the model of my PS3 is ok) but am having a tough time finding tutorials that agree with each other.

edit - So I think what I'm reading is some hardware flasher thing is needed to downgrade any official firmware higher than 3.60 down to 3.55, correct? Some of the tutorials I've seen haven't mentioned this part at all and are just saying download the 3.55 OFW and downgrade, voila. Sigh.

zychi

Banned
Is the info in the OP still relevant? I'm looking for a clear tutorial on how to downgrade to 3.55 (the model of my PS3 is ok) but am having a tough time finding tutorials that agree with each other.

edit - So I think what I'm reading is some hardware flasher thing is needed to downgrade any official firmware higher than 3.60 down to 3.55, correct? Some of the tutorials I've seen haven't mentioned this part at all and are just saying download the 3.55 OFW and downgrade, voila. Sigh.
A little late, but yep. If you dont want to do it yourself, ebay has ps3 with cfw/low 3.55 ofw on them. I literally just sold mine after uncharted was announced for ps4.

Just need kojima to make the mg collection with mgs 4 for ps4 or pc and my non cfw ps3 can go too

CengizMan

I really like some of the features presnt in the cstom firmware, but I don't want to lose my PSN access. Anyway, I read some stuff about some games getting remote play compatibility through custom firmware. I can't imagine this is for all games, so is there a list of supported games?

Is there any exploit in slim models that doesn't need hardware to mod them? I'd like to do it to my CECH-2503A but it seems like everything is a kinda expensive hardware solution. I'd quite like to do it but I'm not desperate for it, so I'd rather there be a free option.

Jockel

I really like some of the features presnt in the cstom firmware, but I don't want to lose my PSN access. Anyway, I read some stuff about some games getting remote play compatibility through custom firmware. I can't imagine this is for all games, so is there a list of supported games?
I believe it supports literally every game, but I'm not sure.

CengizMan

I believe it supports literally every game, but I'm not sure.

If this is true I'm very tempted to try a custom firmware.

Do you lose total PSN access or do you just risk a ban when playing online? I read the FAQ, but I think it's a bit outdated. I actually almost never play online multiplayer, but I do have a PlayStation Plus account. Don't want to lose access to those games.

CmdBash

Been out of the loop for a while, is there any support for writing from the internal harddrive to a ntfs external drive? multiman doesn't seem to allow it.

neoemonk

My Blu-Ray drive is dead in my PS3, so I've been looking into CFW because I have a fairly large disc based collection. Buying a new PS3 or getting the one I have fixed are both options as well but of course I'm concerned that the Blu-Ray drive will crap out at some point in the future. I have two other friends that have dead drives as well.

I'm assuming for now that I would have to give up access to PSN which means no more PS+ games. The current CFW looks like it does a lot thought so maybe they will solve the PSN issue at some point.

Is there still a 'scene' with updated CFW yet? I am trying to play NBA2k16, but it is requiring 4.75 FW and I am on 4.70 CFW. I have tried to force load it through MultiMan, but it is severely choppy and unplayable.

I updated at the time to 4.75 REBUG and all was good. Tried playing WWE 2K16 and had similar issues to NBA. Thought I installed REBUG 4.76 Lite, but now appears I installed 4.76 OFW and cant go back to my 4.75. Its been a while since I had it flashed, is there still anyone reputable out there that does it?

I've got a (probably dumb) question about copy-prohibited saves.

If I get a copy-prohibited save off my PS3 and use a program to remove the copy protection, does the save become copy-protected again when I play the game again(and it saves) or does it remain unlocked?

So I am still on KMEAW 3.55 and I've decided to update to the latest CFW. However, I've been out of the loop for a while so don't know which is the recommended one to install. I've searched and I see that there are a few 4.76 CFWs such as Ferrox, Habib, and Rebug.

Which of the latest CFWs is the one I should install? Any significant differences between the different ones?

Eiji

So I am still on KMEAW 3.55 and I've decided to update to the latest CFW. However, I've been out of the loop for a while so don't know which is the recommended one to install. I've searched and I see that there are a few 4.76 CFWs such as Ferrox, Habib, and Rebug.

Which of the latest CFWs is the one I should install? Any significant differences between the different ones?

Just install Rebug REX v4.76.1 Lite. It doesn't have all the debug options which you wouldn't really need anyway.

Top Bottom