• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 delayed until March 07 in Europe (100k JPN/400k US @ launch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

06/09/2006 06:40
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Announces New March 2007 date for European Launch of PLAYSTATION 3

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Announces New March 2007 date for European Launch of PLAYSTATION 3
No change in launch date for Japan and North America

London, Wednesday 6 September 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced that it would revise the launch date of its PLAYSTATION® 3 computer entertainment system in the PAL territories of Europe, Russia, Middle East, Africa and Australasia from 17th November 2006, as previously announced to March 2007.

Launch dates for Japan and North America will remain the same, which are November 11th and November 17th respectively.

The revision of the launch date in the SCEE territories is caused by the delay in the mass production schedule of the blue laser diode within the Sony Group, thus affecting the timely procurement of key components to be utilised in PLAYSTATION 3.

The previously announced PLAYSTATION 3 shipment forecast of 6 million units globally within the fiscal year ending 2007 is not changed.

But far fewer machines will be available for the launch dates in Japan and the U.S. because of the production problem, Kutaragi said.

In the U.S., about 400,000 PlayStation 3 machines will be available when they go on sale Nov. 17. About 100,000 will be available on the Nov. 11 Japan launch date.

Link

*mod power abuse to add the press release text and remove the trolling from the original post*

Tieno

Oh oh! Means I have to wait even longer for a price drop till I get a ps3. I'm glad Stinkles won't get banned though. So that's my silver lining!

Mr Jared

1156733979503.gif

Andy787

Banned
Not loading.

That said, preemptive "ah ****." :/ Man I fear for the readability of GAF in the coming months.

lynux3 said:
I said wow. Also, what is so "LOL" about this terrible news for some of us?
Because they announce this 1 day after launching their Euro promo site.

And it was always going to happen, face it, Sony and Nintendo hate us Europeans.

EGM92

Europe always gets ****ed one way or another, why should anything change this gen? I mean ok the 360 was a WW launch but it's selling like crap in "Sonyland"

123rl

Wow...I am so surprised. This was not expected at all

[/sarcasm]

It's fine by me...I might be able to afford one at launch now :D It should make it easier to get one as well

pswii60

I did not see this one coming! I can't believe it!! Didn't they learn from MS when they released the XBOX in Europe in March at £299 back in 2002 (and within three weeks had to drop the price to £199) that it is a bad idea??!! And the PS3 will be £425!!! WTF!

MS must be so pleased, this delay happening in the territory MS need to expand on most (Japan doesn't count of course!).

Just don't get it. Ah well MS making Fifa and Pro Evo exclusive was a waste of money - they now have an exclusive next gen console until March 2007.

Well, even if Sony could release with a few units in Europe this xmas it would be better than nothing, at least the precense would be there

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This sucks! How ironic that they started taking preorders and advertising here before any other territory, and then go and delay the launch. Looks like I'll be pulling some strings for an import.

London, Wednesday 6 September 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced that it would revise the launch date of its PLAYSTATION® 3 computer entertainment system in the PAL territories of Europe, Russia, Middle East, Africa and Australasia from 17th November 2006, as previously announced to March 2007.

Launch dates for Japan and North America will remain the same, which are November 11th and November 17th respectively.

The revision of the launch date in the SCEE territories is caused by the delay in the mass production schedule of the blue laser diode within the Sony Group, thus affecting the timely procurement of key components to be utilised in PLAYSTATION 3.

The previously announced PLAYSTATION 3 shipment forecast of 6 million units globally within the fiscal year ending 2007 is not changed.

Notes to Editors:

For further information please contact:

Nick Sharples (nick_sharples@scee.net)
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd
Tel: + 44 207 859 5301 Fax: + 44 207 859 5036

pswii60 said:
I did not see this one coming! I can't believe it!! Didn't they learn from MS when they released the XBOX in Europe in March at £299 back in 2002 (and within three weeks had to drop the price to £199) that it is a bad idea??!! And the PS3 will be £425!!! WTF!

MS must be so pleased, this delay happening in the territory MS need to expand on most (Japan doesn't count of course!).
Love your gif.

Dan!

Dan!

Dan!

Dan!

Ceb

Someone paste in the PR.

I said wow. Should've waited a while longer with that pre-order campaign, shouldn't they? **** you, Sony.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Damn thing finally loaded... here's the reason why too - looks like the diode production really affected production after all...

Ouch.

8bit

Knows the Score

Notes to Editors:

For further information please contact:

Nick Sharples (nick_sharples@scee.net)
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd
Tel: + 44 207 859 5301 Fax: + 44 207 859 5036

Burger

Come on, who didn't see this coming ?

Microsoft couldn't pull off a 'worldwide' launch, Sony can't either, Nintendo hasn't yet, but remains to be seen with the Wii.

It's never been done before. 2 multinational giants have gone on the record saying on XX date, worldwide launch for our console. Neither has managed.

Wow, seriously, that's probably the worst Sony news I've heard in a while.

For those who are having trouble accessing the site the press release said the reason was due to a blue laser shortage, but that Sony was still on track to sell 6 million consoles. I guess, they weren't just hogging production to themselves. =\ Really bad news. Don't let it get you too down europe guys.

ram

wow - thats a real surprise - and europe gets ****ed up again. in germany, they even started preorder deals in the summer.

lynux3

Bill-Lumberg said:
Because they announce this 1 day after launching their Euro promo site.

And it was always going to happen, face it, Sony and Nintendo hate us Europeans.

I feel for you guys. That is crappy though... launch promo site, delay console. WTF is SCEE thinking? Oh well, not their faults.

DJ Sl4m

The wierd thing is Sony has the best shot of being #1 in Europe moreso than Japan and North America, IMO of course.

Ms did it at least put some out there for the more hardcore fans to pick up. Now ninty will pwnd europe screw sony big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom