• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3(JP) Launch Lines: ALREADY?!?!

Long lines @ Tsutaya for Wii pre-orders today got me thinking about PS3's launch on the 11th. I looked around some JP sites to see when people were going to start lining up on Friday and looky looky:

Fvcking Hardcore -->

>2006年11月09日
>15:28
> 1: モリタポ
>モリタポです。
>
>今、ビック池袋本店なのですが、来てみたら未だ列は無く、未だ誰も並んでない様です。
>なので、一応並ぶことにしてみました。
[I've rolled up to the Ikebukuro Bic Camera and didn't see anyone lined up yet, so I'm starting up a queue myself.]

Sho Nuff

Banned
If what I have heard is true, that guy is about to own himself -- supposedly Bic is going to work on a lottery system for everyone who lines up. So it doesn't matter what time you get there.

I'm glad he went to the Ikebukuro store. Bic Camera and Sofmap are using the lottery system at all of their stores except for Yuurakuchou and Ikebukuro. It would have been hilarious if he went to a store that was doing lottery and DIDN'T get a unit.

http://www.biccamera.com/bicbic/jsp/w/shopnews/report/ps3_1111/

Sho Nuff said:
If what I have heard is true, that guy is about to own himself -- supposedly Bic is going to work on a lottery system for everyone who lines up. So it doesn't matter what time you get there.

Thankfully he read the link I posted above.

Sho Nuff

Banned
ddk_ps3 said:
I'm glad he went to the Ikebukuro store. Bic Camera and Sofmap are using the lottery system at all of their stores except for Yuurakuchou and Ikebukuro. It would have been hilarious if he went to a store that was doing lottery and DIDN'T get a unit.

Ahh, okay, whew. I was like "Dude, you're in for a disappointment..."

I don't think anyone is doing a Midnight Launch here, but everyone's opening a little bit early or something, right? So we're looking at about a, uhhh, 40-hour wait for this dork?

Sho Nuff said:
Ahh, okay, whew. I was like "Dude, you're in for a disappointment..."

I don't think anyone is doing a Midnight Launch here, but everyone's opening a little bit early or something, right? So we're looking at about a, uhhh, 40-hour wait for this dork?

Most places are opening a little early. From what I've most stores are opening anywhere from 1-3 hours early to get the PS3 customers out of the way so it doesn't interfere with normal business.

I know people who are going to start lining up at BB on tueday, thats still 3 full days. those lines will get long fast

Most of the Bics are using a lottery system. There is one exception that I know of, and when I asked the clerk when we're allowed to start lining up, he said something to the effect of, "whenever the first people start lining up."

This is the same Bic where I got shooed away by an asshole clerk in English just because I was trying to take pics of the dozens of people waiting in line for the new DS Lite shipment.

There wasn't anyone lining up outside the Yodobashi in Shinjuku when I checked there an hour ago, although they do have a nice PS3 display. Also, check out the giant Blue Dragon billboard on top of the shop. That was a Dragon Quest VII billboard until a few months ago (that's right, 7, not 8!).

bjork

JP is still open price, right? What happens if you wait in line and the clerk is like "it's $7000." THEN WHAT

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Um why is this surprising? PS3 is launching in Japan in less than 48hours so a person is lining up for one already should not surprise anybody.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
No lineups here at my local store. They had all the launch games in mock cases (final size and shape and everything) on the shelf. Got the first preorder in the store for Resistance (I expected a little more...resistance...oops, pun not intended).

The PS3 set up at the store was REALLY sexy. They even had the embossed TGS catalogues on display for people to flip through.

Not surprisingly, Resistance was pretty low on the shelf. Gundam and RR7 were at eye level, with cards for what is being called the `R&G` campaign, which is some joint promotion between Gundam and RR7.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Isnt japan stores doing some kind of a lottery, I think ign reported on it so theres no need to line up or something just yet.

marwan

Banned
people are already camping at best buy for the PS3...

ps3lol.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
marwan said:
people are already camping at best buy for the PS3...

ps3lol.jpg
Holy crap, now that is crazy, PS3 launches here on the 19th man. Someone should tell them. :lol

On-topic: There is no pictures in the first post because someone just wrote that he was going to start a line on a site.

marwan

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
wow, the thread link there says they have been there since monday. crazy people. :lol
thank god for preorders.

talk about no life....don't these guys have to go to work, or do something productive during that period?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
marwan said:
talk about no life....don't these guys have to go to work, or do something productive during that period?
who knows lol. I remember seeing pictures of the ps2 launch, they had a mini tv and a playstation 1 hooked up. I would go crazy sitting there for 10 days without anything to do, I wonder what they have to keep themselves entertained.

I only waited about 45-30 minutes for my ps3 preorder and I was already start to lose it because of the sun beaming down on me with nothing else to do. :lol

edit:
here are the pictures
http://web.mac.com/chris_johnston/iWeb/PS2/Library.html
DSCN0681.jpg

credit to the player one podcast

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
TheTrin said:
Got the first preorder in the store for Resistance (I expected a little more...resistance...oops, pun not intended).

At the store I have the PS3 reserved at, I couldn't get Resistance because they were already all reserved! (Only three copies at that place) So I went over to Yamada Denki today, and found nothing but a few small signs about the PS3 and this Saturday's release, nothing more. I was able to reserve Resistance there, though.

I saw the pre-order book at the small store near me; they must had 50 reserves for PS3s, but all the games they listed had like 2-3 names each. Why do all these people even want PS3s right now if they don't want games?

The PS3 set up at the store was REALLY sexy. They even had the embossed TGS catalogues on display for people to flip through.

Yeah, the Yamada Denki had one up running a Virtua Tennis 3 demo on a Bravia, and it looked REALLY nice. But in typical fashion, much like the Xbox 360 kiosk and the PSP kiosks next to it, no one was playing it, and everyone was flocking to the DS set-ups.

Lyte Edge said:
Yeah, the Yamada Denki had one up running a Virtua Tennis 3 demo on a Bravia, and it looked REALLY nice. But in typical fashion, much like the Xbox 360 kiosk and the PSP kiosks next to it, no one was playing it, and everyone was flocking to the DS set-ups.

*winces*

Really. I mean, I'm not the biggest fan of the PS3 or the 360, but... ouch.

Famitsu says that stores aren't allowing people to line up tonight because they're worried about disturbing the neighbors.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
digipure said:
I just came back from Shinjuku. Nobody is yet in line in the Yodobashi ...
I mentioned it earlier in the thread without a link.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/744/744967p1.html
People Not Lining Up For PS3
There's a reason. Many major retailers, including the Bics and the Yodobashis, are resorting to a lottery system for the PS3. A Bic Camera local to IGN Japan's headquarters in Shibuya's love hotel district will start handing out lottery tickets at 9:00 AM on Saturday. The drawing will be held at 11:00AM. Those who win will be able to select from a 60 Gig or 20 Gig model. The others... will probably be stoned to death.

Some stores are going with traditional line-up systems. Asking around (in Japanese no less!), IGN was able to learn that the Bic Camera in Yurakucho and the Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku will start selling the PS3 at, respectively, 7:00 AM and 8:30 AM on Saturday morning on a first come, first serve basis.

Famitsu's online publication reports that some shops (the site wouldn't name names) were turning people away from lining up too early. Some punks apparently tried to line up on Wednesday night at one shop. The store refused them, citing worries about disturbances to the neighbors, and plans on doing the same to people who attempt to line up Thursday night. Friday night (the night IGN intends to camp out), however, is a whole different story.

tetsuoxb

I will check yodobashi osaka in the morning on the way to work and post from my phone if anyone is there. if i go clubbing tomorrow night i might get in line around 3am for an ebay system, otherwise ill just stick with my personal preorder.

Hyoushi

uhh badboy, why did you ignore this paragraph

Some stores are going with traditional line-up systems. Asking around (in Japanese no less!), IGN was able to learn that the Bic Camera in Yurakucho and the Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku will start selling the PS3 at, respectively, 7:00 AM and 8:30 AM on Saturday morning on a first come, first serve basis.
internet_sucka.jpg

CloudV

I actually just stopped by Bic Camera on the way home from work and didn't see any guy waiting outside. Actually I saw a huge line of people waiting to buy DS's that had just come in. They did have the ps3 boxes out and big signs saying 2 days to ps3 launch. Also a large crowd was watching the ps3 demo unit.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Hyoushi said:
uhh badboy, why did you ignore this paragraph
I didnt, its in my quote, i just didnt bold it. are they doing a lottery or a traditional line up, which one is it?

Troidal

Bad_Boy said:

"Mommy, why are they outside with a TV?"

"Shh honey, they are homeless people."

Man, no way this kind of thing is allowed in Tokyo...

I just passed by some shops and it had a little warning along the lines of, "If there will be problems with security, we may cancel the pre-order lottery." :lol Riot in 36 hours? Ready your rubber pellet guns and body armor!

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Troidal said:
"Mommy, why are they outside with a TV?"

"Shh honey, they are homeless people."

Man, no way this kind of thing is allowed in Tokyo...

I just passed by some shops and it had a little warning along the lines of, "If there will be problems with security, we may cancel the pre-order lottery." :lol Riot in 36 hours? Ready your rubber pellet guns and body armor!

They should have a DS or a PSP.

Top Bottom