• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Asia Launch Thread | Brack Friday Bunduru's for AsiaGAF

Anko

Don't worry, very little Singaporeans are gonna buy it because it's too expensive. SCEH drop the fucking ball on these prices in Asia.

*looks to S$699 Killzone Bundle full deposit receipt*

You're making it hurt again!

Seriously though, I think some may opt to import from HK. Do they offer regional warranty now?

sonyps4_sglaunch.jpg

Nice outfit.

The way I'm looking at the cost for the Killzone bundle here in Taiwan (NT 14,980 = $539 Canadian)...if I were living back home and buying the console on it's own, Ontario sales tax is at 13%. The console plus Killzone works out to $520 CAD after taxes. The extra $19, I'm assuming, is for that month (or is it 3 months?) of PS+ that's included in the box.

Anyway, I know that's not how it works, but that's the best justification I can come up with.

slapnuts

Can someone explain to me why Sony opted to release PS4 in Japan in February 2014? I don't fully understand why they do this. If anything...you would think they would try to get it out everywhere before Christmas...yes?

Like i said..i do not understand the reason behind this other than Sony wanting to rival MS in America but even still...you would think this upcoming Asia launch would include Japan ..after all Sony is a Japanese company.

Can someone explain to me why Sony opted to release PS4 in Japan in February 2014? I don't fully understand why they do this. If anything...you would think they would try to get it out everywhere before Christmas...yes?

Like i said..i do not understand the reason behind this other than Sony wanting to rival MS in America but even still...you would think this upcoming Asia launch would include Japan ..after all Sony is a Japanese company.

strategy. and the fact they are special audience. why would they release a system with no japanese titles. so they held off and focused on the area that mattered the most from the start.

Usobuko

Banned
i plan to just stroll into one of the shops in Singapore on launch day without preordering. Am i screwed?

Don't worry. Any rational gamers up to date with what's happening will likely preorder one from Amazon already. The rest won't bite at the price. Well, most of them anyway.

I don't think the thread title is offensive, it cracked me up. Let's just keep the thread rolling!

Soon to be Japan-GAF here, any word on using US PS4s in Japan? I'm not sure about Region locking for upcoming games, but am more concerned about voltage issues. Anybody know if a US PS4 will run fine with JP voltage?

I live in Japan and have a US PS4, it runs fine in my apartment! PS4 is 100V-240V and the plug fits in my Japanese surge protector.

If you're gonna be JapanGAF, add me to your friends list! ID is in my profile.

They delayed the JP release to February 2014 so the JP studios could actually have games ready. Notice how the NA/EU launch only features games from Western studios? Yeah.

katsudon

Neo Member
i'm a taiwanese in the states and the title is funny to me.

nice that they're getting dynasty warriors 7

i've been trying to snag a copy of railfan (taiwanese high speed rail)... this might be an excuse for me to get that and ps4 bundle when i go back for vacation.

and see most of the output from japan is mobile and where their demo is going? yeah. ;P

It's okay, I have a Vita now.

inb4 Vita means Death, should have got a 3DS

It wasn't the Amazon Brack Friday Bunduru Vita though, I didn't want any of the crap that bunduru came with.

Insomnium

*looks to S$699 Killzone Bundle full deposit receipt*

You're making it hurt again!

Seriously though, I think some may opt to import from HK. Do they offer regional warranty now?

Wouldn't the price for HK import set roughly be equal to SG when you factor in tax and shipping fee? Personally I will wait until June as I have to save up for my earphone first ....

Don't worry, very little Singaporeans are gonna buy it because it's too expensive. SCEH drop the fucking ball on these prices in Asia.

I wonder what will Xbone price be ...

slapnuts

strategy. and the fact they are special audience. why would they release a system with no japanese titles. so they held off and focused on the area that mattered the most from the start.

They delayed the JP release to February 2014 so the JP studios could actually have games ready. Notice how the NA/EU launch only features games from Western studios? Yeah.

Alright...thanks for the answers. Much appreciated!

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

They need Japanese launch games for Japan. Launching earlier in Asia is fine as western games probably sell as well as Japanese ones or perhaps even better (especially after a gen of lackadaisical interest in console game making by the Japanese devs). Asia doesn't need Japanese launch games like Japan does.

Anyways I'm Singaporean Chinese and am ok with the title. It's silly and somewhat funny. Some Chinese people I know have problems with the R sounds even in the Chinese language. They would deviate towards the L sound when saying Chinese words that start with the R sound. It's probably due to their dialect/vernacular that lacks the use of R sounds. For many older Chinese folks, Chinese is actually a second language. Their poorer parents might not know how to speak Chinese decades ago.

Yeah there are people who are displeased with our higher marked up prices (I blame our high retail rental prices and the general perception that Singaporeans can afford to pay more). Only getting one next year myself. But I think the demand would still be high and it's hard to say whether there would be stock available.

Qvoth

i think i read somewhere saying some south east asian countries are bunched together regarding warranty?
i live in indonesia, planning to either buy from singapore or hongkong since i visit quite often

if i buy from singapore, i think i can use the warranty in indonesia, but not if i buy from hongkong right?

EGOMON

You should add Middle East launch date (December 13) to the OP we are technically part of Asia although closer to Europe hence Region 2

Edit: PS4 cost here $463, pretty cheap if you asked me i remember paying $1200 for PS3 at launch lol

TheSpoonyBard

Neo Member
i plan to just stroll into one of the shops in Singapore on launch day without preordering. Am i screwed?

When I preordered mine in Funan, there were at least 5 people ahead of me on the list. No idea what the allocation per store will be though.

Excellent thread title, and as someone who hails from SE Asia living abroad at the moment, I'm not offended by it at all lol.

Those prices though, got dayum, we've always been getting the raw end of deal since the PS1, but these are just exhorbitant.

keuja

So South Park doing it makes it okay i guess :| What is and isn't P.C. makes no sense to me sometimes.

What's so offensive about the title?

Damn why HK gets the least expensive ps4 while SGP has the most expensive...
Well played OP at Malaysia truly Asia not getting price conversion in USD.

Gskyace

i'm a taiwanese in the states and the title is funny to me.

nice that they're getting dynasty warriors 7

i've been trying to snag a copy of railfan (taiwanese high speed rail)... this might be an excuse for me to get that and ps4 bundle when i go back for vacation.

Wait, SCET got Railfan?

Shengar

i think i read somewhere saying some south east asian countries are bunched together regarding warranty?
i live in indonesia, planning to either buy from singapore or hongkong since i visit quite often

if i buy from singapore, i think i can use the warranty in indonesia, but not if i buy from hongkong right?

Yeah, the warranty applies to Southeast Asia countries, even though we didn't get PS4 officially here. Good news since in the case of Vita we don't have such warranty in the first place. A Vitagaf was ordered to sent his Vita to singapore in order to get it fixed :(
Singapore is your best bet, and it got the best price too.

Well they are actually selling very well. Even in Malaysia where even though we had the highest price, sold out in 3-4 days.

Some grey market sellers in malaysia have even stopped taking preorders for Singaporean models, because they know they can't meet demand. Anyway, a lot of us do buy the SEA version rather then buy from US due to the excellent regional warranty.

its funny. asians are probably less offended by this than non-asians lol

probably something post link to southpark reference to appease those.

Lol you're right. I'm asian and I got a good laugh from the title.

Woah DW8+XL releases this year in Asia? I thought it was next year, because Japan is tier 2... Might have to import hmmmmmm.

If any of you are in Japan and want to use a headset or headphone/clip on mic combo instead of the bundled headset (which I recommend because the bundled headset is crap), get a Y Cable Adapter to plug into the Dualshock 4.

I bought this GeSPEC Mobile Headset Adapter GS-MHA01-BK from Amazon JP. It has two 3.5mm female adapters for headphones and microphone. It works perfectly with my Audio Technica AD900 headphones and this cheap clip on mic.

I don't know about the sound quality of the mic, since I just got it last night and haven't had a chance to use party chat. It does work with voice commands, though. And I have to imagine it is better than something bundled with the console (it had to have been very cheap for Sony to include it with every console and not go above $399).

Qvoth

Yeah, the warranty applies to Southeast Asia countries, even though we didn't get PS4 officially here. Good news since in the case of Vita we don't have such warranty in the first place. A Vitagaf was ordered to sent his Vita to singapore in order to get it fixed :(
Singapore is your best bet, and it got the best price too.

going to singapore next week from 9th till 16th
let's see if i can get one early lol

pubba

I like the thread idea. Looking forward to reading more Asia-GAF impressions when the PS4 is released here.

I'm in Nanjing, China and bought a US release day PS4 on Amazon. It was here the following Monday! I picked it up in the morning and ended up having to lug it around a day trip to a nearby scenic mountain spot.

Heaps of people saw me carrying it around and struck up conversations. Met some cool people and took a couple of 'PS4 in the wild' photos.

I have a US account for cheaper digital games and my usual Australian account which I've started using now since it was released in Oz. PSN is psychic pilot

Btw - I've been playing the F2P war game that has aerial dogfights etc - can't remember the name right now, but it's fucking great! Check it out.

I lived in Taiwan for almost 3 years and really miss the place. That mall in Taipei is amazing. I used to always go and spend a few hours walking around and checking out all the oddities hiding away there.

bakedpony

Thread title is not really offensive (pretty funny acutally). It's just more appropriate for the Japanese launch since that joke is aimed at them. I assume that there will be a separate thread for Japanese launch?

So, if there is any additional info that anyone would like to contribute so I can add it to the OP, start doing so now.

If there's a country you feel is left out, include the launch date, any photos/advertising from that country, pricing (along with currency exchange rates, etc.) available bundurus, and anything else you want to add and I will put it in the OP.

Launch day photos of your hauls, guys. I wanna see 'em!

Psykotik

a friend imported a US ps4 about a week ago and we did an unboxing at my house. here's a picture we took.

Hw1.jpg

cant wait till the asian launch to get mine!

_hekk05

Banned
Yea at that price I expect to be able to walk into a Sony store and buy one (have one a 15 minute walk away).

USD 100 markup sucks. Everything is always overpriced in Singapore because we are perceived as a wealthy nation. Our population is also tiny so there are never any significant sales. Sometimes we don't even get servers in South East Asia.
Looking at you Black Ops II

Poor Malaysia though. Equivalent of 558 USD as of now.

Top Bottom