• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 audio - Are you HDMI out or Digital out?

Is HDMI better than S/PDIF? I was always under the impression that S/PDIF was the best audio connection

No, someone pointed out why last page but basically it can't do uncompressed audio. HDMI can.

Edit: I said no to spdif being worse, not HDMI, a bit confusing.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
i honestly can't tell the difference lol

but yeah it do hdmi+lpcm when i can because its supposed to be better

LPCM vs Bitstream it's just about which device decodes the audio stream. If you set LPCM the console will decode it and send it to the receiver for playback, if you set bitstream, the console sends encoded audio to the receiver, that will decode and play it.
They should be the same quality.

A difference is that if you use LPCM, you will be able to modify the audio stream on your source, for example on PS3 if you set LPCM in bluray playback, you can also use the integrated volume control (when you pop-up the menù with triangle and select volume), whilst with bistream you can only change the volume on your receiver. (This is why I thought they sounded different at first, because I had the PS3 volume set to max, so LPCM was louder than bitstream, but after lowering it they were the same thing).

Obviously, if your receiver can't decode the format the audio is in, you won't hear anything. That's when you HAVE to use LPCM. Otherwise, I think, it's the same.

I'm using optical/LPCM via a Denon stereo.

I'm having a bizarre audio sync issue with Blu Ray playback - the picture is slightly delayed, not the sound...

I use HDMI and LPCM.

Does anyone know any way to force 7.1 audio? My PS3 and my Home Cinema support 7.1 just fine. My PS4 is stuck at 5.1. :\

You're to only use the optical out if you don't have an HDMI compatible receiver, simple as that.
Optical doesn't support lossless multichannel audio (DTSHDMA, Dolby True HD, LPCM 5/7.1...)

Pretty much this. Optical desn't have enough bandwith to carry lossless audio, it will though but it'll be compressed.

Aces&Eights

This thread has me all paranoid now that I'm not maximizing the best output. Since my receiver only has optical (with DTS) I run HDMI to TV for video and optical from PS4 to receiver. But, I wear headphones 99% of the time and usually plug them into the controller. Should I be plugging them into my receiver and using the audio from that instead of from my controller?

If you have a modern receiver capable of TruHD and DTS-HD MA, yes, you should always use bitstreaming.

Only time you should be using multi-channel LPCM is for legacy receivers or connecting directly to a TV.

Multi-channel LPCM is the exact same quality as TrueHD and DTS-HD, they are all lossless formats. The only reason TrueHD and DTS-HD came around is that they are more compressed than LPCM so take up less storage on Blu-rays.

Syriel

Whenever I can, I use optical. However, my PS4 (and 3) are usually in my room and I can only output audio via HDMI there. When I bring either into my basement, though, I take advantage of our sound system and use optical out as well as an ethernet connection for online.

You're not taking advantage of your sound system. HDMI > Optical.

Only reason to use optical over HDMI is if your audio device does not support HDMI (old receiver w/o HDMI audio support or a limited, 2-channel device like headphones that simply doesn't have HDMI at all).

I wanted to ask:

I have a cheap 5.1 system that has either a 3.5 mm or the red/white analog input.

my new PS4 has digital audio output... I was thinking of buying these:

but I am not sure I am buying what I want...

.- will I get some sort of 5.1 surround sound??

.- is the "toslink" part of the input the right connection for the digital audio cable coming from the PS4?

.- is it worth the hassle?

That is just outputting two channel analog.

At best, you'll get no better than matrixed Dolby Pro Logic out out if.
At worst, you'll just get pure stereo.

Is HDMI better than S/PDIF? I was always under the impression that S/PDIF was the best audio connection

Misconception.

Optical can do uncompressed stereo or compressed 5.1.
HDMI can do all that, plus a whole lot more.

I've got this system http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/sound-bars/ht-xt1

And I have it set as follows PS4>>HDMI>>RECEIVER>>HDMI>>TV

PS4 is set to HDMI out for audio 7.1

This is correct yes?

That is ideal, as long as your receiver doesn't end up creating a processing delay for video. You wouldn't notice it for movies and TV, but would see it in games if it exists.

Hedrush

That is ideal, as long as your receiver doesn't end up creating a processing delay for video. You wouldn't notice it for movies and TV, but would see it in games if it exists.

Thanks man, what should I be looking for with a 'processing delay'

This wouldn't be causing my GTA5 to be running like shit would it? Whenever there is alot on screen my games drops to like 20fps especially noticeable at crossroads.

Respawn

Banned
I haven't messed around with these settings in a while but I remember a while back my sounds were messing up on my 7.1 system using HDMI out even though I'm using an HDMI cable. The center speaker never played anything and the side speakers were randomly too boomy. But my biggest issue was the center speaker being very low volume or void of any sound (only on PS4).

Here's an article about said issue: http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS4_Audio_Problems

What are you guys using these days?
HDMI to my receiver and optical to my headphone amp. Works flawlessly.

CLEEK

HDMI, because I live in the 21st century.

I assume all the folks who are going PS4 > HDMI > TV > Optical > Soundbar/Receiver are doing so because they have old soundbar/AVR which don't support HDMI-In? Because if you're using optical, you won't be getting LPCM surround, and won't be getting DTS-HD if you watch Blu-rays.

NekoFever

Multi-channel LPCM is the exact same quality as TrueHD and DTS-HD, they are all lossless formats. The only reason TrueHD and DTS-HD came around is that they are more compressed than LPCM so take up less storage on Blu-rays.

There are other benefits to TrueHD/DTS-HD in terms of the features the disc can be authored with.

For example, a movie with DTS-HD audio will play with lossless audio without any action on the part of the viewer and will automatically drop to regular DTS if the hardware doesn't support DTS-HD, since both formats are in one file. An LPCM movie will default to Dolby Digital and require the viewer to manually switch to LPCM, or else anyone without the appropriate hardware is just going to get stereo sound.

They're also built to be expanded, like with how some Blu-rays are now coming out with Dolby Atmos audio that still works with both TrueHD-compatible and DD-compatible hardware.

And they include the ability to embed dynamic range data and other information about how the audio should be mixed, rather than letting the receiver make a best guess. Like TrueHD (presumably DTS-HD has something similar) includes dialogue level data so that, in theory, dialogue will be the same volume across movies with TrueHD audio.

CLEEK

Hang on. Are you suggest we'll get better sound from our ps4s if we switch the setting to bitstream?

For games? No, you won't.

Game audio is LPCM, or legacy DTS/DD. You want LPCM as the default to get the best sound.

As far as I'm aware, there aren't any games that use DTS-HD encoding.

There are other benefits to TrueHD/DTS-HD in terms of the features the disc can be authored with.

For example, a movie with DTS-HD audio will play with lossless audio without any action on the part of the viewer and will automatically drop to regular DTS if the hardware doesn't support DTS-HD, since both formats are in one file. An LPCM movie will default to Dolby Digital and require the viewer to manually switch to LPCM, or else anyone without the appropriate hardware is just going to get stereo sound.

They're also built to be expanded, like with how some Blu-rays are now coming out with Dolby Atmos audio that still works with both TrueHD-compatible and DD-compatible hardware.

And they include the ability to embed dynamic range data and other information about how the audio should be mixed, rather than letting the receiver make a best guess. Like TrueHD (presumably DTS-HD has something similar) includes dialogue level data so that, in theory, dialogue will be the same volume across movies with TrueHD audio.

Pretty much this. As am amusing side note, my Marantz receiver, for instance, will display real-time headroom adjustments embedded in the DD audio stream on the front panel. It's fun to watch the adjustment change between commercials and main program on TV.

I think a lot of the "pro LPCM" stuff got going when some older receivers didn't have enough raw computing horsepower to both decode TrueHD/DTS-HD and apply room correction at the same time (many early HDMI 1.3 Onkyo and Marantz models, if memory serves). It was a one-or-the-other situation. Nothing made in the last 5-6 years has had this issue that I'm aware of.

Bottom line is that there's really no downside to bitstreaming audio over HDMI unless you have very specific legacy receivers to work around (which you should be upgrading anyways as they are coming up on a decade old...).

There are very few TVs that pass through, for example, a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal to your audio receiver via an Optical Cable. Some Sony's, Toshibas, and Vizios will pass through the 5.1 signal, but most TVs that are receiving a 5.1 signal, lets say from your Satellite Box, output a 2 channel or stereo signal to your Audio Receiver via Optical Cable.

Looks to be only Sony, Toshiba, and Vizio TVs that will pass through 5.1 DD/DTS. Anything else and all you're getting from your TV's optical out is 2.0 LPCM (i.e. stereo).

Quixz

Optical into trusty Logitech Z5500. Also use Sony 2.0 wireless headset (Gold) at night or when playing shooters.

Pretty much this. As am amusing side note, my Marantz receiver, for instance, will display real-time headroom adjustments embedded in the DD audio stream on the front panel. It's fun to watch the adjustment change between commercials and main program on TV.

I think a lot of the "pro LPCM" stuff got going when some older receivers didn't have enough raw computing horsepower to both decode TrueHD/DTS-HD and apply room correction at the same time (many early HDMI 1.3 Onkyo and Marantz models, if memory serves). It was a one-or-the-other situation. Nothing made in the last 5-6 years has had this issue that I'm aware of.

Bottom line is that there's really no downside to bitstreaming audio over HDMI unless you have very specific legacy receivers to work around (which you should be upgrading anyways as they are coming up on a decade old...).

Looks to be only Sony, Toshiba, and Vizio TVs that will pass through 5.1 DD/DTS. Anything else and all you're getting from your TV's optical out is 2.0 LPCM (i.e. stereo).

Thanks for finding the link, it provides a detailed list of models and such. However, that is what I said, Sony, Toshiba and Vizio :)

Syriel

Thanks man, what should I be looking for with a 'processing delay'

This wouldn't be causing my GTA5 to be running like shit would it? Whenever there is alot on screen my games drops to like 20fps especially noticeable at crossroads.

No. Processing lag would be when the receiver and/or TV is applying filtering effects to the video so that there is a delay between when the game console is sending and what you're seeing on screen.

This in seen as input lag (a delay between when a button is pressed and when an action happens on screen).

If you consider audio lag 'Master' then sure. Digital/Optical out is practically lag free though so that makes it more better than HDMI.

I bet you use a green marker on all your audio CDs as well, right?

The cable type does not cause (or reduce) lag.

I have to do both since sending the video to the receiver and then to the TV introduces input lag, which matters more to me than lossless sound.

I'm using optical/LPCM via a Denon stereo.

I'm having a bizarre audio sync issue with Blu Ray playback - the picture is slightly delayed, not the sound...

Apparently quite a common issue for the PS4.
I get this too with HDMI, I need to set audio delay to 40ms or so on my receiver to compensate.
People with medium/high lag TV picture aren't going to notice this.

With the same cabling, PS3 bluray playback works perfectly.

Syriel

Is running optical bad for sound quality? I only use it for my DAC.

Optical isn't "bad" per se, but it is limited to two channels of uncompressed audio or 5.1 channels of compressed audio.

For a stereo setup, it's great. For a multi-channel setup tho, you're limiting yourself if you just use optical.

Quite possibly the worst way to set everything up and it's crazy to me that people do this. I even know people with huge 7.1 $1000 receivers that do this.

It is quite bizarre. Not audio related, but my friend invited me over to watch a movie. They were streaming Netflix from their blu-ray player. I was wondering why Netflix looked like shit on it so I went behind the tv and saw a composite video cable connecting the blu-ray player to the TV. I lost my mind. They didn't even realize until I pointed it out to them and they had the tv for over a year.

CLEEK

My cabling is much more simple after I moved my Wii to the family room and put my OG 360 in storage. No more component, no more optical, just HDMI.

Now I have 5 devices all hooked up to my receiver with HDMI and a single HDMI cable going to my TV, using ARC to get broadcast TV output via the receiver. The other benefit to HDMI everything is that I can use HDMI-CEC for most devices, so just use my TV remote for everything.

CLEEK

HDMI with a Onkyo receiver. I have both the console and my receiver set to DTS. It has been my experience that it provides the best sound.

If your receiver supports multichannel LPCM, then that will objectively give a better sound over DTS.

LPCM is the uncompressed audio in all its original glory. DTS compresses this and is lossy.

TronLight

any cons doing so?

Not that I can think of. :lol
I go GPU > HDMI > receiver > TV.

Just use the windows setup for the audio, select how many channels you want, do the test, if you hear every sound you're good to go.

The only "problem" I have is that my GPU (GTX570) doesn't support DTS-HD and similar. But I go with LPCM 5.1 so I don't care that much.

delaneya

HDMI to TV then optical from TV to the sound bar.

I keep getting this odd beep/pulse sound that I cannot track down. Sometimes I do not here it other times its every few seconds.

Finaika

If they're more compressed, shouldn't they be of lower quality?

TronLight

If they're more compressed, shouldn't they be of lower quality?

It's not a rule. Better codecs can use less space and have better quality. Look at h.264 vs h.265, the newer uses less space and has lower bitrates but same quality (or better quality at same space/bitrates).

Top Bottom