• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 audio - Are you HDMI out or Digital out?

Digital Op out to a converter box, then to some external Logitech speakers. I game on a PC Monitor, with no built in speakers :(

Though, the majority of the time I just plug in some decent cans to the controller and I'm golden. I have Pulse Elite's I use as well, only for games with voice chat though. Sometimes if I move my PS4 around a bunch (taking it with my while I house sit, when it's easier than RP) I won't bother hooking the audio back up, since the box has to be powered separately.

Clockwork

HDMI to TV. Bitstream optical out to 5.1 Vizio sound bar.

My tv passes the full 5.1 for regular Dolby Digital and DTS, but not the more advanced Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio. For those it unfortunately downmixes to stereo.

If I do a direct optical connection between my PS4 and sound bar I get the core 5.1 audio from Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

mattp

stupid question, seems like a good place to ask
do all receivers handle this the same way?
when you put 7.1 or 5.1 audio into a receiver and then only have 2, or 2.1, or 3.1 speakers. does it automatically just mix the surrounds into the fronts? and same for center channel if you only have 2 or 2.1?

kriskrosbbk

Guys I am having a strange issue with my PS4 sound.It is linked to TV with HDMI for both sound and video.Then I have optical out from SONY Bravia to Home cinema and every 30 mins I have sound disconnects for literally a second or two but it is quite annoying.Anyone else? Setting on PS4 is DTS,HDMI OUT.

farmerboy

HDMI out to my Denon 5.2 receiver.

Do you have problems?

I have;
-ps4 connected via hdmi to denon receiver (lpcm for games, bitstream for movies)
-dvd player connected optical to denon receiver.
-tv connected optical to denon reciever
-denon connected hdmi out back to tv for display.

I get the centre channel not working on games AND movies even though one is lpcm and the other bitstream.

Sometimes if I change settings or turn off/on either the reciever or the ps4 it rectifies itself, though volume levels can feel off.

This problem has driven me mad, to the point I done a warranty exchange on the ps4 and am considering doing the same on the receiver.

WTF is going on? Can someone please help me out?

Rephil

HDMI with DTS on 5.1 'Teufel' system - linear PCM not recommended! cuts sound on every average/good receiver! unless u have an absolut beast of a system. (optical has less bandwidth than hdmi and encoding is not that good)

When I feel like being a jerk to my neighbors: HDMI out to AV Receiver
When I feel like being a nice guy: Optical out to mixamp and AKG K712 Pros

televator

HDMI PCM

I've read that audio is supposed to be more seamless when you factor in things like BD-J audio effects. So I guess menu stuff works better.

bit stream to receiver baby, let my receiver finally do the decoding for hd codecs.

couldn't do that with my fat 1st run backwards compatible ps3; had to use lpcm so my receiver just played passthrough

Garibaldi

HDMI out and linear PCM multichannel on my av receiver.

Amen AV brother

Bitstream for video content, Linear PCM for games.

PS4 is HDMI to Yamaha receiver. HDMI ARC (for Chromecast etc) to TV. I get no issues with channels screwing up.

RevanUchiha

Neo Member
Sorry to bump an old thread but I would really appreciate some help regarding the best audio settings I should be using with my ps4/receiver setup.

My receiver only has hdmi out (samsung HT-H5550) as such I have both the receiver and ps4 connect directly to the Tv (samsung KS8000).

Should I be using linear PCM on the ps4?

Thank you soo much Gaf.

Is there any discernible difference in quality between Digital/Optical and HDMI (the settings) when using stereo speakers? I've noticed that if I want to use Linear PCM, the only way for this to work properly with my receiver is if I set it to Digital Out. Otherwise, my receiver (a very new one, btw) struggles to pick up sound after dead silence--for instance, it won't immediately pick up PS4 UI noises if I don't move the d-pad for a few seconds. But if I set it to Digital/Optical, it'll work fine.

EmiPrime

Is there any discernible difference in quality between Digital/Optical and HDMI (the settings) when using stereo speakers? I've noticed that if I want to use Linear PCM, the only way for this to work properly with my receiver is if I set it to Digital Out. Otherwise, my receiver (a very new one, btw) struggles to pick up sound after dead silence--for instance, it won't immediately pick up PS4 UI noises if I don't move the d-pad for a few seconds. But if I set it to Digital/Optical, it'll work fine.

That happens IME when the console isn't set to output LPCM or can't do it such as with the 360. If you tell the receiver to stop expecting LPCM or the console is set to output LPCM you won't get the audio cutouts. Apologies for the slightly shit and possibly inaccurate explanation, I'm not an expert on this sort of thing I just know which buttons to press on my receiver to fix it!

Piotrek

PS4 (PCM selected) >> HDMI in >> Denon DHT-S514 >> HDMI out (ARC) >> TV

Am I doing it right?

It's a soundbar, so I have only one HDMI in available, therefore the rest of my consoles (Wii U, X360) are plugged into the TV and then pushed through ARC to the soundbar. I don't really care for sound that much in these two, so I'm good with compression. Space constraints don't allow me to get a proper receiver and multiple speakers, unfortunately.

realitynightmare

Neo Member
Anyone active on this thread? I need some advice. This my set up on my PS4. PS4>HDMI>TV>OPTICAL>DAC> HEADPHONES. My question is, what should I be using for my Primary Output Port? HDMI OUT or OPTICAL OUT? I am a bit confused since my audio is running through both HDMI first and then optical.

Shifty

Anyone active on this thread?
I doubt it, given that you necro'd a 3 year old thread...

This my set up on my PS4. PS4>HDMI>TV>OPTICAL>DAC> HEADPHONES. My question is, what should I be using for my Primary Output Port? HDMI OUT or OPTICAL OUT? I am a bit confused since my audio is running through both HDMI first and then optical.
Unless you have an optical cable plugged directly into the PS4, HDMI. The TV will be copying that input to its optical output anyway.

Also if my experience setting up PS4 capture is anything to go on, you might want to investigate plugging the DAC directly into the PS4 instead. There's some weirdness with HDMI that dropped out the main vocal channel in Yakuza 0, so I had to get a USB soundcard with an optical input and pipe it through that instead.

realitynightmare

Neo Member
I doubt it, given that you necro'd a 3 year old thread...

Unless you have an optical cable plugged directly into the PS4, HDMI. The TV will be copying that input to its optical output anyway.

Also if my experience setting up PS4 capture is anything to go on, you might want to investigate plugging the DAC directly into the PS4 instead. There's some weirdness with HDMI that dropped out the main vocal channel in Yakuza 0, so I had to get a USB soundcard with an optical input and pipe it through that instead.
My Optical port on my PS4 died after I did a system initialization. Optical port is clean. Clip is there and so is the red light. That's how I initially ran my audio, directly from PS4 to DAC via Optical but now the only option I have is the one I posted above. I'm a just confused as to what I should be setting the Primary Output to.

Shifty

My Optical port on my PS4 died after I did a system initialization. Optical port is clean. Clip is there and so is the red light. That's how I initially ran my audio, directly from PS4 to DAC via Optical but now the only option I have is the one I posted above. I'm a just confused as to what I should be setting the Primary Output to.
Set it to HDMI. Since there's nothing plugged into the PS4's optical port, it doesn't have to care about outputting to it.

Top Bottom