• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 only gamers, assume all Bethesda games go exclusive. What now?

Eliciel

There are Studios that could have been bought and that would have had a huge Impact for me. Bethesda isn't one of them. Never been a fan of TES or Fallout and neither did Doom Catch my attention. Of course Future IPs could do the Trick, but looking Back, Bethesda has been one of my least favorite Studios..

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Never been interested in their output as a publisher so zero fucks given here.

Which oddly enough is pretty much the sentiment of most Japanese gamers, which in turn begs the question how long is Mikami going to stick around at Tango if he's stuck developing on platforms that most of his fellow countryman have no interest in!

You can buy IP. But you can't buy talent.

Fbh

As someone who primarily used a Ps4 this gen, this just gives me one more reason to switch to PC as my main platform next gen.

The more studios MS owns, the less devs treat PC like unloved step-child.

To be fair, Bethesda games were already pretty good on PC before this acquisition.
Mods are like half the fun in Elder Scrolls/Fallout (and help fix/improve stuff Bethesda can't be bothered to do), stuff like Doom is arguably better with M/KB and ID tech tends to be really well optimized and runs great even on modest PC's, and Prey was also great and offered a smooth experience on low end PC hardware while the console version had technical issues.

The only recent-ish game from them which had a shitty PC version was Dishonored 2.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
This actually bothers me. I really like the Bethesda games so this is a loss to me as I was planning on ps5 next gen. Honestly, I was even ready to rebuy fallout 4 and Skyrim if they published them but it looks like that's a no go now.

I only have time for one console so I need to decide what I want more, and that is Demon's souls.

alstrike

Short term: Last Bethesda game that I bought was Dishonored in 2012, so I don't really care
Long term: Fuck if I know but those IP's sure won't make me buy an Xbox

My biggest takeaway from this is that we just lost one of the biggest 3rd party multiplatform developers on the market. This is consolidation and IMHO that is not good for the long term health of the industry.

I would be saying this exact thing if Sony acquired R* or Ninty had made an acquisition on this scale as well. It's one thing to a acquire a studio but to acquire an entire segment of the market is not good for anyone.

Duallusion

If I haven't quite decided yet, it's official now: I won't be able to ignore Xbox two gens in a row, not anymore. I'll be getting Series S or X sooner rather then later.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
My biggest takeaway from this is that we just lost one of the biggest 3rd party multiplatform developers on the market. This is consolidation and IMHO that is not good for the long term health of the industry.

I would be saying this exact thing if Sony acquired R* or Ninty had made an acquisition on this scale as well. It's one thing to a acquire a studio but to acquire an entire segment of the market is not good for anyone.

100% agree. Consolidation is something we all need to be concerned about.

spawn

I'm buying a PS5 regardless for their exclusive titles. I was on the fence about buying xbox, but now it's no question. I'm buying one now. I don't use PC. I prefer console

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I wouldn't be surprised if they went exclusive, but I think a better move would be to release on the PS5, but those users have to play full price, while Xbox gamers get it on Gamepass.

FranXico

giphy.gif

Someone gets it. This and other similar aquisitions are going to have a very negative impact on the gaming industry.
It boggles my mind how can people be so short-sighted to celebrate this, just for "fuck you Sony".

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Sony was still market leader at that time....that changes literally everything, this would be different if MS was market leader and acquired bathesda as well compared to being the market straggler.
Well Microsoft now own them so they can do what they want reguardless of being market leader or not. Plus if you want to be market leader you put games on your console the other doesn’t have which they MAY do with all these

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
giphy.gif

Someone gets it. This and other similar aquisitions are going to have a very negative impact on the gaming industry.
It boggles my mind how can people be so short-sighted to celebrate this, just for "fuck you Sony".
its the "fuck you i got mine" which totally makes sense in this example where MS lacks top quality content and hopefully with this acquisition it slowly becomes better.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Well I've always had the stance that once xbox got five exclusives I was interested in I would bite. If they get a new doom and elder scrolls and those are good and starfield turns out well then I'll be up to 3 xbox games I'm interested in. So two more and they'll have me

Of course thats all saying IF the games become exclusive. I'm hoping they'll still being bethesda games multiplat and just make money from PS gamers but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Well Microsoft now own them so they can do what they want reguardless of being market leader or not. Plus if you want to be market leader you put games on your console the other doesn’t have which they MAY do with all these
Totally sadly I think the market will still favor playstation because they are more known for their brand of gaming and MS has struggled to even keep up with them. Will it help, maybe a little, but Sony will still dominate the market this coming generation

yurqqa

Reducing the risk is a way of doing business for huge corporations.

So for me the news just means that Bethesda will be focused on their classic franchises and focus-group approved team multiplayer games.

It's a company with a great history and it makes me sad.

I just hope that most talented people from Bethesda, Arcane and ID will just go to work in smaller studios after some time.

lucius

I was always planning on getting a Series X eventually, I don’t PC game but that would be a huge BS move. I actually wouldn’t care anymore if their studio turns into BioWare disaster. But yeah I will still buy next ES and Fallout, after that I bet quality will go down. I mean that will be interesting talent often leaves after something like this, maybe not right away but we shall see.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
q09
Totally sadly I think the market will still favor playstation because they are more known for their brand of gaming and MS has struggled to even keep up with them. Will it help, maybe a little, but Sony will still dominate the market this coming generation

I have no doubt Sony will still be the market leader but Microsoft could make big steps towards catching them with this

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

q09

I have no doubt Sony will still be the market leader but Microsoft could make big steps towards catching them with this
I dont see them catching them this gen, if anything its momentum to lead up until the gernation AFTER this one is where we COULD see tables turn, maybe

I'm still buying ps5 for God of war and other games but that's good for xbox. I'd probably just move to PC to play it but if the series S is decent I'd consider that too.
Either way bethesda gotta make a good game before I even care because they've lost a lot of good will from me

Ar¢tos

First person view games and me don't get along, so it doesn't affect me, since most of their games are fps.

Last edited:
I have/do play some games on PC, but I predominantly game on my PS4.

It’s going to depend on the state of Microsoft’s library when those games get released. I may also subscribe to Ultimate and play through the games on xcloud as they come in if that service is rolled out on more devices than just android.

If there are more than a handful of must-have games by that time I’ll probably invest in upgrading my GPU or getting a XSX depending on price/performance.

AZ Greg

I love how, “I’ll just build a PC” has become such a response to all this. MS thanks you for your Windows purchase and your Gamepass purchase! 🤣

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Won't make a lick of difference to me since I will be using GamePass on my PC this generation for everything related to Xbox.

Camreezie

The loss for me , assuming this is true and they dont publish on PS anymore would be Doom , Wolfenstein and Arkane Games. Wolfenstein shot itself in the foot largely with Youngblood so was probably going away for a while anyway. Doom was probably not going to get a new entry in a couple of years and Arkanes games typically dont sell very well . It's a loss down the line, nothing major right now imo

marquimvfs

I'll consider a PC upgrade first. Bethesda games alone don't appeal to me since New Vegas and Oblivion. iD software, to me, will be more missed out, but let's not pretend that those games won't come to PC, where they're better played thanks to M&KB.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I'm not gonna reward the gamepass model or MS moneyhatting existing franchises that sell a vast majority on PlayStation. So unfortunately I'll have to miss out on elder scrolls, doom, starfield (if it's good), and wolfenstein (if they make another)

XTERC

I game on PC/PS. Depending on the software released it definitely has me thinking about getting a XSX where it wasn't a consideration before. Waiting to understand the announcement in more detail ...

Top Bottom