• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Owners - How noisy is your console

How is the noise level on your PS5

• Total voters

Rolla

Banned
So I've upgraded from the PS4 Pro which sounded like a vacuum even when just scrolling through the UI and not running a game. But today has been a revelation, my PS5 is absolutely silent while gaming. The only "noise" I've heard is when a game disc is installing and even then, I have to get close and turn off the tv to hear it.

But I've seen some disputed claims online so I wanted to use this thread and accompanying poll to see what actual PS5 owners are experiencing. Alsp post how your housing your console, Horizontal or Vertical.

Side Note: I've also noticed that my Dualsense is a very quiet controller. Gone are the clicky buttons by what seems to be a better dampers implementation but that's another thread.

Last edited:

BlvckFox

Gold Member
Dead silent while running, it doesn’t sound like it’s even on. I don’t have any games on disc, so can’t provide any feedback there.

The ps4 pro was horrific - I had to buy a new one as it was ruining games - that was better, but still a hair dryer at times.

The ps5 is silent - thank the lord.

got a weird vibration ..no disc in tray and console is standing up
only noticed it when playing COD...which is the same game that used to make the ps4 turn into a Jet

Apart from that..silent.....but this thing is very hot....its warped a dongle at the rear of my console i was using for headphones and the cables are also red hot

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Only makes noise that I can hear when disc is spinning up (longest and most notable on install). Other than that, I can’t hear it at all while playing. You have to put the tv on silent, and lean close to it to hear anything.

Last edited:

JonkyDonk

The only loud noise is from the disc drive spinning. The fan's silent for the most part. If I get really close to it with a game running and the TV muted, I can hear a little bit of noise but it's barely anything.

Last edited:

SLESS

It was 36 c here yesterday, I played DeS all day and it was completely silent. Extremely impressed!

Tschumi

Definitely quieter than Phil Spencer's moaning during sexual intercourse.
tenor.gif

JimiNutz

Banned
I play with headphones so it doesn't bother me but mine definitely gently hums (could just be the disc spinning?)

It's not anywhere near Pro levels though. The Pro was a screamer.

Eternal21

I have a launch day PS4 Pro, that's still silent. I also have a theory on why some pro's go loud and some stay silent. A few weeks back I decided to see if there's any dust inside my Pro for the first time. I looked up videos on how to open it up, and found that lifting the top cover was almost impossible. I had to use tools to pry it open, and thought it would break. After all that I found that there was no dust inside, even though I've got plenty of dust on the outside of the units. I've done some reading online and found that some covers pop off easily, while some take a lot of strength. I believe that the units with weaker seal, pull in more dust, which leads to faster overheating and drying of thermal paste, which then feeds the vicious cycle.

DonJorginho

Banned
Digital edition, dead silent even when running games, not even hearing the faintest bit of coil whine either, going good so far!

Last edited:

Coconutt

Gold Member
It's silent throughout my game sessions, the only time the noise is audible is when I turn on the PS5 from rest mode but it only lasts a minute.

Hostile_18

Banned
Well after reading this thread I spoke with Amazon UK and it's getting exchanged. I may have to wait a month but at least have this one in the mean time.

The noise on rest mode sealed the deal and also seeing how many people are running quiet consoles.

Hostile_18

Banned
I returned mine yesterday because of coil whine. Now I’m on a search to find another. Such a bummer.

Definitely. Luckily I have a massive return window so I wont have to go without.

I completely understand though, having it making that noise even when off in rest isnt acceptable. Such a shame though apart from that it's amazing in every other way.

Sleepwalker

Has coil whine but you have to turn off all ambient sound, mute your game and basically sit next to the console to hear it. As long as it doesn't crash regularly I'm a happy camper. Wonderful piece of tech.

THEAP99

Banned
Mine has coil whine, but the fan is relatively is pretty silent. I'd honestly prefer fan noise over coil whine. I think it's dishonest to say the console is quiet.

There's some noise due to the coil whine but at long as your room isn't dead silent or you wear headphones, you should be good. It's annoying but these are the sacrifices made for greatness. Nobody seems to notice it on my mic and people walking into my room don't either. Some noise all around.

Last edited:
Can you add an option for "I'm gonna burn walmart.com to the ground"?

*or, I would've, if hoarders running scripts didn't do it already

Glad to see people who got one are reporting minimal noise though

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Gold Member
Pretty much same boat as everyone else, it makes some noises depending what I'm doing, just a bit of whir here and there.

Nothing I really notice.

Nymphae

Banned
Suspiciously quiet. My PS4 was a jet engine from launch until I stopped using it the other day. I got used to it.

This thing is whisper quiet unless I just put a disc in, and that's not very noisy at all. It's been great.

Hostile_18

Banned
It makes you wonder with the majority of the people that are saying its silent if it really is? Like not intentionally misleading us but say their room already has ambient noise or they haven't listened to it with tv sound off or in low power mode.

Of course peoples tolerance for such things varies person to person as well. My room is completely quiet when electronics are off (normally).

Top Bottom