• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 seems more balanced than Xbox One Series X

Well, i wish you much fun with your egg-laying wool milk sow wonder ssd, i prefer raw power.
examples of the benefits of ps5 ssd
in layman's terms:

in sonys AAA corridor movie games when you go in to a room in a house,
each room in this house will be bigger then the fucking biggest BF5 map... and there will be each 6 meters such a building. you will need 2 weeks to go from room to room......the graphics designer from naughty dog will make 1000 hour weeks to fill this rooms but that not my problem

in next ps5 racing game you can drive cars with 2500km/h with out popup and 1000km drawdistance.....
yes it's true that not one human in the world can control a car in the city between all the traffic by 2500km/h {btw. 100 000 KI driver simultaneously on the map}
.. but fuck this... the ps5 can do this shit.

Last edited:

Neur4lN01s3

Neophyte
Sure thing. So now that you understand that PS5 can access all of its 16GB of GDDR6 at 448GB/s and Xbox Series X can't access all of its 16GB of GDDR6 at 560GB/s (10GB @ 560GB/s, 6GB @ 336GB/s) we can move on.

PS5 will access to 16 GB? yes, XSX will access to 16 GTB too
but can Ps5's GPU access to 16 GB? NO, there is memory reservation by CPU and OS, so what we can learn from this? that PS5's GPU will use similar amount of memory because CPU and OS will take its amount reserved anytime but using a slower memory
if they cut services maybe their GPU will use more than 10 GB, maybe 11? 11.5? but a what cost, of no OS services, really????

lynux3

but can Ps5's GPU access to 16 GB? NO, there is memory reservation by CPU and OS, so what we can learn from this? that PS5's GPU will use similar amount of memory because CPU and OS will take its amount reserved anytime but using a slower memory
if they cut services maybe their GPU will use more than 10 GB, maybe 11? 11.5? but a what cost, of no OS services, really????
I don't think you're understanding what is being said here. No where did I say there was no OS reservations.

MilkyJoe

Come on dude, it's all very upsetting for these guys, show some heart.

longdi

Banned
Agreed. However, you got one figure wrong which is the bandwidth of the XSX.

It is actually 560 (10GB pool) + 336 (6GB pool) = 896 GB.

This is almost double the bandwidth of the PS5s unified memory pool.
Im sure that's not how it runs.

320bit is the lane for the apu to access the ram.
10gb of ram runs faster.
6gb of ram runs slower.

You can't add the bandwidth like that.

The Poster that started this thread seems honest in his intentions and shouldn’t be bullied as if some folks are in high school. O.k the XSX is more balanced (and more powerful) but I believe that the op was just asking for clarification.

ZywyPL

Banned
The biggest difference between next-gen systems seems to be about how much data you can read vs how much data you can process.

XBX with its ~5GB/s already offers way more bandwidth than any consumer product out there, and it doesn't elevate the price so much that MS had to cut the capacity. PS5 with OS installed will actually leave about 750GB for the users, so the big question is how much less space will next-gen titles need without duplicated data? Which still gives the XBX the upper hand nevertheless, especially if the games will really take less space compared to current-gen, those extra ~200GB will allow for quite a buch of additional titles installed.

And the other question is what will be the actual stable clocks of the PS5, because 3.5GHz vs 3.6GHz for the CPU is virtually the same, 10TF is also plenty of computing power, but how low will actually the processors operate during various games will be PS5's defying factor.

The RAM is IMO also better in PS5, history showed already that a split solution is never a good idea as far as developers freedom goes. We don't know how much the OS will need, but I expect about the same as XBX and all current consoles, more or less 3GB.

So it's essentially literally a battle between better memory (SSD and RAM) vs better power (CPU and GPU).

Alphagear

XSX is superior by a country mile for me but will it matter considering Microsofts issue is quality 1st party games. Lets not forget the rumoured weaker Lockhart which may just mean XSX ports are simply resolution/fps boosts which never fully take advantage of the power. Ofcourse we are also guaranteed a PS5 pro Mid Life too.

I love this analysis, which proves my point: PS5 is more balanced than the Xbox series X:

I will also add this to the opening post.

Please don’t. Consider this, this youtuber legitimately believes that the ps5 will use almost no Ram for its OS. Don’t you think that if this was the case Sony would be screaming about it and Cerny would have used it as an extra weapon in his explanation about why the SSD is so great ?

The biggest difference between next-gen systems seems to be about how much data you can read vs how much data you can process.

XBX with its ~5GB/s already offers way more bandwidth than any consumer product out there, and it doesn't elevate the price so much that MS had to cut the capacity. PS5 with OS installed will actually leave about 750GB for the users, so the big question is how much less space will next-gen titles need without duplicated data? Which still gives the XBX the upper hand nevertheless, especially if the games will really take less space compared to current-gen, those extra ~200GB will allow for quite a buch of additional titles installed.

And the other question is what will be the actual stable clocks of the PS5, because 3.5GHz vs 3.6GHz for the CPU is virtually the same, 10TF is also plenty of computing power, but how low will actually the processors operate during various games will be PS5's defying factor.

The RAM is IMO also better in PS5, history showed already that a split solution is never a good idea as far as developers freedom goes. We don't know how much the OS will need, but I expect about the same as XBX and all current consoles, more or less 3GB.

So it's essentially literally a battle between better memory (SSD and RAM) vs better power (CPU and GPU).
The ram in the XSX is better no matter how many times Sony fans post the opposite. The cpu difference is 3.66 (with hyper threading, has Sony even released the ps5 cpu number with hyper threading enabled ?) vs. 3.5 when the ps5 reaches it full clock speed which, considering the weak and overclocked gpu too, won’t be happening too often.

XSX is superior by a country mile for me but will it matter considering Microsofts issue is quality 1st party games. Lets not forget the rumoured weaker Lockhart which may just mean XSX ports are simply resolution/fps boosts which never fully take advantage of the power. Ofcourse we are also guaranteed a PS5 pro Mid Life too.
Why wouldn’t the XSX have a mid-gen refresh too, possibly more powerful than the PlayStation one ?

Breakage

In Japanese culture, there is this concept of finding acceptance and beauty in imperfection. I believe it is called "wabi-sabi".

Bankai

The Poster that started this thread seems honest in his intentions and shouldn’t be bullied as if some folks are in high school. O.k the XSX is more balanced (and more powerful) but I believe that the op was just asking for clarification.

Thanks man, but I can take it :) Faith in humanity restored though!

It is true unfortunately, there are some real bullies around here! But hey, that's the interwebz for ya. I was disappointed at first, but thanks to the power of the SSD (which is faster) I can forgive them.

Thanks man, but I can take it :) Faith in humanity restored though!

It is true unfortunately, there are some real bullies around here! But hey, that's the interwebz for ya. I was disappointed at first, but thanks to the power of the SSD (which is faster) I can forgive them.
No problem. The NX video you quoted though is not really good and can be easily torn apart but if it makes you feel better no issues from me. It is just videogames in the end.

Alphagear

The ram in the XSX is better no matter how many times Sony fans post the opposite. The cpu difference is 3.66 (with hyper threading, has Sony even released the ps5 cpu number with hyper threading enabled ?) vs. 3.5 when the ps5 reaches it full clock speed which, considering the weak and overclocked gpu too, won’t be happening too often.
RAM is Partly better partly worse. CPU is hardly better. Come on.

No, it's not more balanced. It's weaker and not a true generational leap. The XBox Series X is 8 times the TF of the XBox One S which makes it a true generational leap. Sony didn't even come close. The only way the PS5 could have been balanced is if they had decided to go with a 13TF GPU instead of a 15TF GPU so they could have the fast SSD.

Elenchus

Banned
All “balanced” means is we don’t have a cooling solution worked out that will actually allow such high clocks (which is why we won’t show the box even at gunpoint) but we need a marketing victory here to head off the competition.

This is smoke and mirrors. The ink on the memo Sony pushed out to its devs to begin this misdirection campaign is still wet. The PS5 is less powerful but that’s not a deal breaker for me. The real problem is that the potential for this thing to red ring is just too high for me to buy at launch.

MS handed over a physical box to DF to review. If Sony wants my cash at launch they will need to do the same. The promises are great but we’re beyond the stage for charts and graphs Mr. Cerny.

Hand the hardware over to an impartial party for an objective evaluation. Your lack of confidence is breeding doubt.

chitzy

Banned
Nobody here has any idea how either system will perform in actuality. Enough with these retarded topics.

Nobody here has any idea how either system will perform in actuality. Enough with these retarded topics.
We have a system , the XSX, that we can have a pretty good idea on how it will perform and it will perform great. There are no question marks regarding the XSX really.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
examples of the benefits of ps5 ssd
in layman's terms:

in sonys AAA corridor movie games when you go in to a room in a house,
each room in this house will be bigger then the fucking biggest BF5 map... and there will be each 6 meters such a building. you will need 2 weeks to go from room to room......the graphics designer from naughty dog will make 1000 hour weeks to fill this rooms but that not my problem

in next ps5 racing game you can drive cars with 2500km/h with out popup and 1000km drawdistance.....
yes it's true that not one human in the world can control a car in the city between all the traffic by 2500km/h {btw. 100 000 KI driver simultaneously on the map}
.. but fuck this... the ps5 can do this shit.
I get what your saying and it sounds great, but can you give a real life example cause we ain't got hard drives that big (ssd)

Neo_game

IMO best part about PS5 seems to be its SSD which is twice as fast as Xbox. However I think only exclusives will take advantage of it, like they did with the PS3 cell processor. In multiplats Xbox will have little advantage of some 20% more pixels on screen

Top Bottom