• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 stick drift is apparently already happening.

Yikes.

Fixed dozens of dualshock 4 drifting analog sticks but judging from the teardown video, dualsense is much hard to do repair.

Really sucks and perplexing to see Sony invested so many innovative new features to the controller and only to cut corners on the basic hardware.

That sucks, he should get a replacement. I've luckily dodged all issues, so far (fingers crossed) on my PS5. I haven't heard of stick drift until the Nintendo Switch thing, so I'm fairly surprised about all the issues with the DS4 stick drift. I had the initial issue of the first round of stick rubber getting destroyed!

Hopefully this isn't a wide spread issue, other than that... TROLLs do your job, it's time for you to feast.

yurinka

Well, as of now seems there is one single supposed case. Let's see what happens over time if there are many confirmed cases before jumping into conclusions.

They used pretty much the same analog sticks as DS4 in this controller so it's not too surprising.
I heard cases of drifting on Switch, but this thread is the first time I listen about DS4 (and PS5 obviously) having drifting after 7 years and 113+ million consoles sold.

Last edited:
There are always people whom abuse their controllers (drop / excess force / smash) and some defective units too.

DS4 had perfect quality, my 2 launch controllers were almost like new after 6 years and +6000 hours, only the sticker on back lost some ink and sticks were kind of polished, but no other problems.

Only broken ones I have heard in my circles are from people whom play like idiots, and most wont even admit / notice it. Like playing some cod/fifa/nhl in half rage mode, screaming curse words and raping the controller with +1000% more of force than precise gamer would use.

So unless it becames an epidemic, I dont believe there is large scale problems, just bad users and some bad units.

Many even claimed that all launch controllers are shit and their rubber melts away, but that were bullshit too. Mostly too aggressive users using finger nails on sticks or something like that.

I knew it was going to happen again. Ffs. I had 5 DS4, all of them had drift.
Amazing. I had 2 revision 1 DS4 and 2 revision 2s, none of them experienced degraded thumbstick deadzones. In fact, shitty enough, all my DS4 have tighter deadzones (even after hundreds and even thousands of hours of game time in them) than my brand new DualSense. The left stick is slightly tilted up at rest. It's still leagues ahead of any Xbox controller I've ever owned, those all had shitty drift out of the box, but it is unfortunate for me. My wife however has a perfect DualSense with perfectly snapped to center sticks. I evaluate this using a PC with controller testing programs that read out the raw input from the sticks. My DS5 center points to 128 on the horizontal axis (perfect) but around 122 on the vertical axis, this is slightly off. All my DS4 snap to 127/128 which is literally flawless. I don't understand how anyone can have such bad luck of the draw with these things, it feels self induced.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
All controllers will get drift. Had it on every console this gen except Switch ironically. The potentiometers in the controllers are incredibly sensitive and if the slightest bit of dust/dirt/debris gets in there the controller will drift. I am incredibly conscious, perhaps borderline neurotic, about not using a controller without first washing my hands. I also make sure to keep them clean and free of dust. Even still I have ended up with drift on several controllers.

It is an unfortunate design flaw. I would like to see MS, Sony, and Nintendo figure out a way to fix it. While I think it is unacceptable, it is a pretty easy fix. A screwdriver, a little bit of isopropyl alcohol, a q-tip, and a little patience is all you need to fix it. It doesn't make things right but it does make it a little more tolerable.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Well, as of now seems there is one single supposed case. Let's see what happens over time if there are many confirmed cases before jumping into conclusions.

I heard cases of drifting on Switch, but this thread is the first time I listen about DS4 (and PS5 obviously) having drifting after 7 years and 113+ million consoles sold.
Just because Sony sold a lot of consoles and you've personally never heard of it doesn't mean it hasn't been an issue for people. People have been dealing with stick drift on DS4 controllers for years. It's been discussed in repair videos for years. People in this thread have mentioned their issues with it. Maybe you should google it.

yurinka

Just because Sony sold a lot of consoles and you've personally never heard of it doesn't mean it hasn't been an issue for people. People have been dealing with stick drift on DS4 controllers for years. It's been discussed in repair videos for years. People in this thread have mentioned their issues with it. Maybe you should google it.
I didn't say it wasn't happening. I said that I never heard about it, which is different.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I knew it was going to happen again. Ffs. I had 5 DS4, all of them had drift.
I feel for you. I’ve had 4 DS4 controllers and only had drift in 1 of them and these have been played to death since neigh on launch.

Now the rubber on the thumb sticks, that’s a different matter. Shocking how poor they were on launch.

Ar¢tos

My 3 DS4s never had that problem. One of them was thrown away because my ex broke it (unintentionally).
I have 5 years warranty on the Dualsense anyway, so I'm not very worried.

MarkMe2525

This will happen with any analogue stick controller every made. Warranty time.

Edit: Not every controller produced obviously, but will happen to a small percentage.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never had an N64 or DC, but they had analog too. And they were the earliest forms of it on console. Was stick drift a think 20 years ago? Seems a modern era thing. Unless it was big but the internet wasn't big back then so you'd never hear about it.

So i dualshock out of 5 million has drifted and now thats representative of all controllers

Some of the usual suspects pilling in, pathetic
Yep.
They're embarrassed by the 12TF Monster not delivering in the performance stakes. They will try to amplify any negatives regarding PS.

That said stick drift can happen on any controller. My Nacon Revolution Pro controller got stick drift 2 months into using (brand new). If it wasn't for the utterly shit battery life then I wouldn't mind using it. Since then It's been gathering dust and my dualshock 4 is still going strong (with no stick drift at all). Though the battery on the dualshock 4 is even worse so I'll just stick it out until I pick up a PS5.

Zero issues on my two controllers but I never had issues with my DS4s either.
A friend of mine has a 7 year old dualshock 4 with worn out rubber on the analogue sticks and he has not experienced any analog drift, just some buttons have becoming unresponsive at times and he has to really hit those buttons harder for it to register.
I got 2 dualshock 4's with my Pro purchase and one of them died 3 months in. I suspect its the circuit board that's faulty because I tried another battery in there and it's just dead. Never replaced the circuit board and didnt bother so i have a new-ish dead controller. That along with my new-ish (barely used) Nacon Revolution Pro controller that still has the stick drift issue.

Will never buy a Pro controller again and will stick with 1 primary controller in future since I now have almost $350 NZ worth of controllers just gathering dust and it wasn't even due to wear and tear.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yep.
They're embarrassed by the 12TF Monster not delivering in the performance stakes. They will try to amplify any negatives regarding PS.
Interesting response coming from a guy who made this thread a day after Cerny's March show. Maybe you should read your own thread and look in the mirror.

ReBurn

Gold Member
So i dualshock out of 5 million has drifted and now thats representative of all controllers

Some of the usual suspects pilling in, pathetic
Yes, the usual suspects are once again rushing in to shout down the experiences of people who are having problems because they feel they have to protect a faceless corporation. It's pretty sad that you can't have a single conversation about a problem people are having without the unpaid protectors of the sacred brand proclaiming that everyone else must be lying because their toy never had an issue.

My launch DS4s don't have drift, bug I have fixed peeling sticks and broken triggers on them.
DS4 v2s are good too.

Call BS on this.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Aren't the analogue sticks identical to the ones from Dualshock 4? Drifting was already an issue in DS4 v2 controllers. Mine has minimal drifts so it's not a big problem for the time being. I will admit I treat it gently and avoid playing fighting games etc. to stop it from getting worse.

Thank god for a thing called warranty.

It's still a hassle if you bought the console without extra controllers and you can't use DS4 for PS5 games.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Never had a drift issue in any console I have ever owned. 4 DS4s even the OG launch one that has the rubber peeling on the left stick from Bloodborne abuse is perfectly fine. 360 ones, no issue, PS3 ones, no issue, PSP and OG Vita, no issues. Asked a few friends who have PS5s and 2 controllers each ... and ... no issues.

Never owned a Switch.

Last edited:

Larlight

These “problems” always seem blown way out of proportion just because of the internet. Had multiple DS3, DS4, and 2 Dualsense controllers so far and none of them ever had stick drift and neither did any of my friends who had them.

baphomet

Ahh yes, Comicbook.

The same source that claimed the PS5 was coming with a high end mirror less camera because they can't fucking read.

geordiemp

Yes, the usual suspects are once again rushing in to shout down the experiences of people who are having problems because they feel they have to protect a faceless corporation. It's pretty sad that you can't have a single conversation about a problem people are having without the unpaid protectors of the sacred brand proclaiming that everyone else must be lying because their toy never had an issue.

Have you heard of statistics ? People, how many ? 1 million, 500,000 ?

PLEASE list the PEOPLE ? LOL

Some people just cant understand simple numbers. Whats 0.01 % of 5 million ? When it gets above that, we can talk.

If it is statistically significant then worthy of discussion, otherwise its FUD. And as its 1 report, its fucking desperate FUD.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Let me state again that video is crap and really doesn’t show much besides the character spinning around and that can easily faked without showing the actual sticks.
Not saying it will never happen but this quick and early I highly doubt that unless it came like that from the factory, I say it’s BS without more conclusive proof needed

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've never had a PlayStation controller start drifting. Broken triggers though, and the shitty rubber wearing out on the DS4. Drift I only have on my left Joycon.

killatopak

I was not trying to spread FUD just in case anyone is wondering. To be honest I just wanted to post the Joycon meme image. If you look at that picture there’s also the gaming bible as the source so it’s not just comicbook.

Just kinda worried because I have two DS4s with stick drift.

I mean stick drift itself is such a new thing for me cause I never experienced it on my older consoles pre PS4. Now with Dualsense being much more expensive and supposedly harder to diy repair, it makes it a bigger deal for me.

Anyway, in my opinion, I feel like this is just typical launch problems and hopefully stick drift doesn‘t always occur this early or at all.

Never had a drift issue in any console I have ever owned. 4 DS4s even the OG launch one that has the rubber peeling on the left stick from Bloodborne abuse is perfectly fine. 360 ones, no issue, PS3 ones, no issue, PSP and OG Vita, no issues. Asked a few friends who have PS5s and 2 controllers each ... and ... no issues.

Never owned a Switch.

Same here. Dreamcast, Wii Classic Controllers, 360, Xbone S, PS3, PS4, PS5, Switch. Never had drift. Only issue I've ever had was the rubber peeling on two DS4s, probably also due to Bloodborne and Souls :messenger_beaming:

dano1

A Sheep
Am I reading this right? This "article" is based on ONE single user that has stick drift? I'm not a fan of Sony controllers (although I haven't tried the new one), but this so-called article ridiculous. Could this be any more clickbait trash?

OP is trying to get a job as a newscaster. And this is how you do things these days

bender

What time is it?
I had a bunch of DS4 controllers and only one experienced drift. The X360 controller was the worst I've ever experienced as most every controller I used suffered from it.

*I never use the Joy Cons but it sounds like they are the drift king.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Interesting response coming from a guy who made this thread a day after Cerny's March show. Maybe you should read your own thread and look in the mirror.

Oh the irony. That's hilarious.

Leyasu

Banned
My first elite controller developed drift just after the warranty ran out.

My 2nd elite now has a paddle button that has stopped working properly. This is under warranty and will be getting sent back for a replacement after xmas.

trikster40

I’ve never had any issues with Sony controllers in 25 years. My Sixaxis just last year had the battery quit holding a charge, but I can still use it hooked up with USB cable.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I haven’t gotten drift on anything yet, hope my luck lasts. I have straight up busted serval triggers though.

JimboJones

They should just let us set the deadzone in the system menu like steams controller overlay, they already let us swap buttons around. It's obviously not going to fix the underlying cause but it can help mitigate it for a while (plus some games deadszone are too fucking small)

dano1

A Sheep
Are we really talking about 1 controller? Even if it was 10 there are millions sold of course there are going to be defective ones!
Everyone can sleep easy 🙄.

ZehDon

Gold Member

Good Lord, you could've at least left something for his kids to bury...

Yeah that was an interesting time. When Xbox fans saw the 10TF figure and relentlessly trolled anything and everything Sony related with no intention to have an actual discussion.

As for the bolded: Couldn't give a fuck to be honest. I know you did since you had to dig up a thread from months ago. Bless you.

dano1

A Sheep

Thats Nintendo. This is a PlayStation controller..

Top Bottom