• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN still down, internal testers online in various games though

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernoca

And is not like MK uses some special servers or anything because of the online pass.
What Wario said was that we don't know if the option to redeem the codes will be available this week or when the store is released. Account Management will go live this week, and the option is there; so we'll see.

Portal 2 is the same, only that you can play with Steam users aside regular PSN users. Don't know if Steam implementation will be affected but everything else should be the same.

fernoca said:
And is not like MK uses some special servers or anything because of the online pass.
What Wario said was that we don't know if the option to redeem the codes will be available this week or when the store is released. Account Management will go live this week, and the option is there; so we'll see.

Portal 2 is the same, only that you can play with Steam users aside regular PSN users. Don't know if Steam implementation will be affected but everything else should be the same.

Damn, I forgot about Portal 2. That's one code I haven't redeemed yet.

Zeliard

The smart thing about offering PS+ for free for a month is also that you need to be a subscriber in order to play the free PS+ games that you download, and that includes regular PSN games, PS classics, and PSN Minis.

So when that free month is over, and people have downloaded free games they can no longer play, they won't get pissed at Sony (especially if Sony makes it clear that they don't keep the games). Many will simply re-sub, especially since Sony is apparently also offering an extra three months if you decide to sub for a year.

They're doing both simultaneously - offering the free PS+ month to everyone and also doing the three extra months w/ a year sub - and it's pretty damn smart. Many will take that yearly deal after the free month. Consumers are fond of promotional deals.

Sony will gain significantly in PS+ subscribers from this. Pretty solid way to help leverage the fallout from such a huge blunder.

Ah shit, tell me I can download Outland on Tuesday. If not at least I can finally play Portal 2 coop, I`m itching for that shit.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lion Heart said:
Ah shit, tell me I can download Outland on Tuesday. If not at least I can finally play Portal 2 coop, I`m itching for that shit.

You won't be able to get Outland until the store is up, which is "sometime this month". And even then the store might not be updated.

fernoca

Lion Heart said:
The store won't be live "this week", but "this month". Outland's awesome at least, so it will be worth the wait. :)

Malvolio

Not being able to play hockey online during the playoffs was so depressing. Glad to hear things will be back up soon!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DonMigs85 said:
If I buy something with a PS+ discount (not totally free), can I still keep it after the subscription lapses?

Yes

What you don't keep are the free games.

Speevy

Banned
I really hope Sony didn't kill half my PSN accounts. Those e-mails I used were fake, and I created them a system which is now dead.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Speevy said:
I really hope Sony didn't kill half my PSN accounts. Those e-mails I used were fake, and I created them a system which is now dead.

Did you buy stuff from those accounts?

I'll just be glad to use the damned PSN again. I was happy to re-connect with a few SP titles but I've discovered I NEED to yell with people online.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Speevy said:
Are they activated on your current system? The press release makes it sound like you just need the accounts activated to recover them:

In addition, PS3 will have a forced system software update that will require all registered PlayStation Network users to change their account passwords before being able to sign into the service. As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data.

AkIRA_22

Luthos said:
Why would I want 30 free days of PSN+? If I get anything I like from it, I won't be able to use it afterwards.

So they're just hoping to hook in more subscribers.

Yeah that was always my fear they would do this. It will come across as a cynical marketing move. It should be a free game. Pony up Sony.

BeeDog

To be honest, the compensation plan is more than I expected from Sony, so that's good. Overall, this press release seems like a decent way to repay customers and is a necessary attempt for regaining the trust of many, so good for them. Let's hope "this week" means sooner rather than later.

IrishNinja

not bad, ive had fun replaying Sonic 1 & 2 for trophies so far, extra month of plus can't hurt since Streets of Rage 2 is up soon, i think. still waiting on Sonic 3/knuckles.
was nice backing up my #$@%ing Demons Souls save too - i think it stays on their servers for up to 6 months past when the service runs out (if i read that right) so that's cool.

QuantumBro said:
Is anyone else going to call Sony, after it goes back online, to see if it will be a lot easier to be able to reset your PSN account activations?

i'm prolly gonna take advantage of the opportunity and do this myself, wanting to keep a backup slot just in case my near-launch unit ever goes tits-up.

Wario64 said:
No PS Store might mean no online play for Mortal Kombat for a while. lol ONLINE PASSES LOL.

aw man, wonder if i can get my steam copy of Portal 2 going, then.

Yoshiya

AkIRA_22 said:
Yeah that was always my fear they would do this. It will come across as a cynical marketing move. It should be a free game. Pony up Sony.
PSN+ is just another bonus. Read before posting.

Since the other thread got locked:

This thread is about PSN Network going up in a week. This is not about Microsoft winning the console war or Nintendo having baby games.

Please stop being childish if you have nothing to contribute.

BeeDog

I'm curious about Sony's backroom dealings with various publishers now, seeing as the store will be down for what seems to be a decent while. They must placate them somehow, because they are understandably enormously pissed.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
baekshi said:
30+ to my existing Plus?
Has this question been explicitly answered? It determines whether I continue pissing on Sony or partially accept their apology.

zlatko

Banned
As for the whole ordeal I'm satisfied with the outcome and the handling of it all. I rarely turn on my PS3 unless it's for exclusives, and I'm lucky that I was able to get my copy of Portal 2 set up on PS3/PSN so I could play on my PC before the crash. I am still a little saddened it took this long/it's taking this long to get it all back up and ready. SONY reacted accordingly considering the circumstances, but I really don't think they were ready at all with enough proper measures in terms of restoring PSN in case it was hacked into.

As from where things go from here I hope they put in some lulz related to this event in their E3 showing, and I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope the douche responsible is caught and sent to jail FOR LIFE.

SmithnCo

giancarlo123x said:
I havent played Need For Speed in a while and it asked me to update....what???? Does this mean some part of PSN is up to allow this?

I think updates have been accessible throughout, I installed an MK one while PSN was down. So yeah, some online portion must be up.

chris0701

In fact one issue is down,however, the improper content purchasing process through debug firmware still leaves to be fixed.

They couldn't totally crush all existed content grabbed by "development use only" from proper developer to cease all illegal usage.

It is why the store won't be up next week.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
shagg_187 said:

This thread is about PSN Network going up in a week. This is not about Microsoft winning the console war or Nintendo having baby games.

Indeed.
Further derailing will result in banning, just a warning.

strem

shagg_187 said:

Gaffers get sucked in so easily don't they

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Regarding codes, it does say access to account management, which is where you can redeem codes. Who knows about online passes. The PR post doesn't really make it clear

"Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems
-This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games"

I am positive this is talking about Capcom DRM.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
shagg_187 said:

Now you're releasing PSAs?

Man I have no idea what this event has done to you, but you've become increasingly annoying. :\

fernoca

Yep.
Current plus subscribers will get an additional 30 days.

• All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.

Regarding Playstation Plus, any free content from it can only be access as long as you have the service? Or can it be access without Plus?

daffy

Banned
Have we found out details pertaining to the availability of free content per account or per system? They already know singular users create multiple accounts so..

alstein

I kinda expected the free month of PSN+

I wonder if gamesharing will still be around. I have a friend who is mad cause she won't be able to buy Arcana Heart.

I wonder what's going to happen to all the delayed store content/DLC? There were some things coming up in the next month that I was considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom