• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Quantum Break has audio mode just for streamers (copyright licensed music)

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 31, 2011
UK
twitter.com
Quantum Break has an audio mode in settings to turn off licensed music for streamers and Youtubers.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/29/quantum-break-stream-safe-music/
It's something that came after the studio got a lot of fan feedback that their Let's Play videos of the team's previous game, Alan Wake, resulted in the clips being pulled from YouTube. "Streaming and YouTube especially have become such an essential part of gaming culture these days," Remedy's Head of Media and Partners Thomas Puha told Engadget via email. "At a very late stage in the development of Quantum Break, we came up with the idea of giving the option to disable licensed music to make life a bit easier for everyone wanting to share their Quantum Break experience."

Also, Toto - Africa is in the game?! Damn Remedy/Sam Lake, you so good with your soundtracks.

L~A

Jan 19, 2013
That's a pretty neat feature, more games should have a similar one. Kudos to the developers for adding it.

Copyright stuff can get ugly pretty fast on YouTube, especially when it involves music companies (among the worst when it comes to that stuff).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jul 30, 2009
Western Australia
It's not a bad option, but that the option exists illustrates just how awful YouTube's infringement system is.

8bit

Knows the Score
Jun 7, 2004
That's a pretty smart idea. (The turning off licensed audio, not Toto by Africa.)

Raist

Banned
Jan 27, 2007
That's a smart option.

Are copyright takedowns purely due to audio really that common on youtube though?
There's thousands of entire albums and official music videos, so I'm wondering.

ATOMICJORGE

Aug 16, 2015
Mexico
www.youtube.com
I asked this question to one of the producers of the game the other day and he told me that this was made specifically for people that make let's plays or streams

I work as content creator on Youtube and this news makes me very happy I can't wait to play the game but I also can't wait to show the game to my subscribers on my channel

I really hope that other developers do the same with their games, thank you Remedy as one member of the YT community I salute and I thank you for this

Apr 20, 2012
Essex
Great idea, would make sense for other developers to follow suit.

Sony has a similar thing when recording that it will block certain scenes, and certainly all of Singstar when singing, I assume it's possibly the same when streaming, never really looked in to what the 'viewer' would see.

Pooya

Aug 12, 2009
That's a smart option.

Are copyright takedowns purely due to audio really that common on youtube though?
Twitch mutes the audio on VODs if it detects copyrighted music It's an annoyance at minimum.

GSR

Jun 17, 2011
twitter.com
That's a smart option.

If I understand correctly it's not so much about full takedowns (though that's still a possibility) but also about the potential for the song owner to take over monetization on the video (trouble if YT content is a source of income for you), or for the segment where the music plays to be totally muted (damages the experience for the watcher.)

8bit

Knows the Score
Jun 7, 2004
Guys he's saying that turning off licenced music is a good idea but turning off Africa isn't
No man, I remember it wasn't off the radio in the 80s and thought it was a horribly mawkish song back then. Not really eager to hear it again in the context of a videogame again (looking at you Vice City).

Orayn

Jul 4, 2010
Minnesota
That's a smart option.

Actual takedowns aren't that common, but CobtentID claims that prevent you from monetizing the video are. It's doing everyone a disservice when people fail to distinguish between them.

Zojirushi

Jul 22, 2015
Neat idea but personally I would want to play the game like this. Choice of music can have a pretty strong impact on what's happening on screen. Remember Mexico scene in Read Dead or Airport scene in Max Payne 3.

Hesh

May 21, 2013
Neat, but does it just mute the credits or does it play some sort of royalty-free music instead? Also, I'm not sure where else to ask this, but since ESPN has been running a million commercials for this game lately did anyone else notice the Xbox One voiceover guy at the end of the commercial has a lisp? I'm wondering what happened to the old guy that used to do the announcements at the end of Xbox One commercials.

Also, concerning classic Remedy games, I played through the first Max Payne this week and it totally holds up today.

Fitts

Aug 22, 2014
This doesn't directly effect me, but wow! What a commendable way to embrace the times. Are they the first to do something like this?