• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC and Xbox One Patch in the Works

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You've hit the nail on the head: a small bracket of gamers. Proper SLI implementation requires developers to decide it's worth the effort.

Do most developers have proper implementation? Seems like it would be worth the effort in pleasing those customers because its obvious they spend money. Lots of it. Making loyal customers of those people is a good idea...

SimplexPL

Least they could do is to add higher resolutions to the list of available ones and explicitly infom about the source res, for example

1920x1080 (upscale from 1280x720)
2560x1440 (upscale from 1707x960)
2880x1620 (upscale from 1920x1080)
3840x2160 (upscale from 2560x1440)

Zedox

Wonder if any programmers here can let us know if the change would be hard to make. Or would it be as simple as changing resolution and aa settings.

Every change you make to a rendering technique will have an effect on any other thing that uses that technique in question. There may be parts of their engine that takes in account of that technique and those objects in question may need to be changed and tested. I believe someone said this earlier. Without knowledge of the totality of their engine and the game using it, a random programmer can't tell you details. It's never simple in game development. (besides the quit button. LMFAO)

Composer

ITT: People who actually haven't played the game, and therefore don't understand why IQ needs to take a hit, in order to achieve other graphical effects.

LordRaptor

ITT: People who actually haven't played the game, and therefore don't understand why IQ needs to take a hit, in order to achieve other graphical effects.

Most PC games allow the user the choice over what they want to prioritise. Lower than native resolution on a monitor always looks bad. Probably more bad than not having, say, no ambient occlusion or whatever.

Composer

Most PC games allow the user the choice over what they want to prioritise. Lower than native resolution on a monitor always looks bad. Probably more bad than not having, say, no ambient occlusion or whatever.

I agree it'd be nice to have a direct choice. But I'm just taken a little aback, because the game really does look wonderful. Its honestly a generation ahead in a lot of ways (mostly graphically, not gameplay).

EDIT: Also, I'm not referring to effect slike AO. There is a lot of spatial/time distortion effects in the game that creates some truly out of this world environments. There isn't an easy technical term that I can use to refer to them, and I doubt they would be an On/Off toggle in the settings, since they are so integral to the art style of the game.

holygeesus

Banned

What graphic effects require sub-optimal resolution enforcement in a PC version?

Let's be honest here - it was easier for Remedy to shoe-horn this in, than it was for them to program the option to reduce effects one at a time. Why people continue to defend this port is beyond me. It is a rush-job plain and simple.

Jeff6851

I've gotta say, they have effectively killed my hype for this game. Could just get it on Xbox One but I'm getting rid of that soon so no point. Maybe someday MS will get their heads out of their ass and allow games to run like games.

Tovarisc

You would think that AMD and Nvidia would be all up in the face of any AAA game developer too lazy to implement multi GPU support in DX12.

You would think.

Lazy? So we know that they have time, money and manpower to dedicate to building SLI / CFire support into their engine, but they are just lazy about it? As far I know Remedy is very small studio for being AAA game developer so I imagine they can't just dedicate most of their coders to this for X months.

We can't in anyway know how much work would be needed for SLI / CFire support to become reality.

From OT; "Due to the engine architecture, the work needed to support multiple GPUs would have been significant and out of scope for Remedy for Quantum Break."

The game can't even run currently for me. It's literally unplayable. I'm getting about 5-7 frames. Anyone know what could be causing it? I have:

Titan X
Sandy Bridge i5 over clocked to 4.2ghz
8gb ram

I can't get past the opening part of the game without the frame ate plummeting

The game can't even run currently for me. It's literally unplayable. I'm getting about 5-7 frames. Anyone know what could be causing it? I have:

Titan X
Sandy Bridge i5 over clocked to 4.2ghz
8gb ram

I can't get past the opening part of the game without the frame ate plummeting

Do you have G-Sync on? Some posts in here says that G-Sync will do that.

b0bbyJ03

Lazy? So we know that they have time, money and manpower to dedicate to building SLI / CFire support into their engine, but they are just lazy about it? As far I know Remedy is very small studio for being AAA game developer so I imagine they can't just dedicate most of their coders to this for X months.

We can't in anyway know how much work would be needed for SLI / CFire support to become reality.

From OT; "Due to the engine architecture, the work needed to support multiple GPUs would have been significant and out of scope for Remedy for Quantum Break."

I agree. that shit has to stop. A lot of these guys put in 12 plus hours a day. Calling them lazy is beyond fucked up.

LordRaptor

Lazy? So we know that they have time, money and manpower to dedicate to building SLI / CFire support into their engine, but they are just lazy about it?

A lot of the problems QB has on PC are sort of baffling, because they've involved doing more work for a worse end result; for example, if they'd used DX11 they'd have SLI / Crossfire for 'free'.

From what I understand about the amount of work required for a game to support SLI/Crossfire, I'm honestly surprised by how many games DO support it. It's a niche feature used by a comparatively small number of people.

LordRaptor

From what I understand about the amount of work required for a game to support SLI/Crossfire, I'm honestly surprised by how many games DO support it. It's a niche feature used by a comparatively small number of people.

AMD and nVidia do all the work for it because - unsurprisingly - its in their best interest to make selling you two copies of the same videocard seem an attractive purchase

AMD and nVidia do all the work for it because - unsurprisingly - its in their best interest to make selling you two copies of the same videocard seem an attractive purchase

If that is indeed the case, how is it Remedy/MS's responsibility to make sure their game supports SLI?

holygeesus

Banned
I agree. that shit has to stop. A lot of these guys put in 12 plus hours a day. Calling them lazy is beyond fucked up.

Programmers may well not be lazy, but the PC version *is* a lazy port. It is basically the Xbox One version. The fundamental issues that need fixing, are proof of this. Frame pacing issues and irregularities with FPS being limited to 4/5ths of your monitors refresh rate, come about when a game is an after-thought and not intended natively for the platform concerned. I'd love to know how many man-hours were spent on it, as I guarantee more will be needed to fix this mess.

Tovarisc

Because of DX12 breaking compatibility for it, and this game being a supposed DX12 showcase.

So if DX11 then Nvidia and AMD are eager to put in all work for SLI / CFire support in game X, but DX12 and they just nope out and suddenly it's all on dev? That makes no logical sense. If those companies were so big on pushing their multi-GPU tech and taking up all possibilities to have it in games wouldn't they then be all over e.g. Remedy and helping out?

nynt9

So if DX11 then Nvidia and AMD are eager to put in all work for SLI / CFire support in game X, but DX12 and they just nope out and suddenly it's all on dev? That makes no logical sense. If those companies were so big on pushing their multi-GPU tech and taking up all possibilities to have it in games wouldn't they then be all over e.g. Remedy and helping out?

Perhaps you should look a bit more into what DX12 does(n't) before posting about it.

Code:
Crashing on Launch
We have been able to repro at least one reason for a rare crash on launch– with some SIMD instructions that require SSE4.1. We are working on fixing that in a future title update, and will fix any other issues we find as they are reported.

I'm having that, but I'm playing with les than the min specs, since I have a macbook pro 2015, I hope they allow more graphic customizations so I can set to ultra very low and see if it runs

b0bbyJ03

Programmers may well not be lazy, but the PC version *is* a lazy port. It is basically the Xbox One version. The fundamental issues that need fixing, are proof of this. Frame pacing issues and irregularities with FPS being limited to 4/5ths of your monitors refresh rate, come about when a game is an after-thought and not intended natively for the platform concerned. I'd love to know how many man-hours were spent on it, as I guarantee more will be needed to fix this mess.

the definition of lazy is averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion. I think there are many other words to describe this port. Underfunded, mismanaged, etc. are probably the way to go considering you're not using an adjective that is insulting to the people that actually spent a lot of time working on it but if you wanna double down go for it.

Perhaps you should look a bit more into what DX12 does(n't) before posting about it.

I know that DX12 is supposed to natively support multiple GPU's without strange driver hacks, but it seems to me that nVidia/AMD's interests should remain unchanged. They can either work with developers to make sure their code uses multiple GPU's effectively, provide prewritten code that developers can use, or both.

holygeesus

Banned
the definition of lazy is averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion. I think there are many other words to describe this port. Underfunded, mismanaged, etc. are probably the way to go considering you're not using an adjective that is insulting to the people that actually spent a lot of time working on it but if you wanna double down go for it.

Unless you were part of the team, then you know as much as I do, in regard the man-hours spent on it. I say not enough, and the results seem to back up my hypothesis.

LordRaptor

I know that DX12 is supposed to natively support multiple GPU's without strange driver hacks, but it seems to me that nVidia/AMD's interests should remain unchanged. They can either work with developers to make sure their code uses multiple GPU's effectively, provide prewritten code that developers can use, or both.

Given the people who really benefit commercially from widespread DX12 adoption are MS, its not that unsurprising that AMD and nVidia aren't going to go out of their way to make that happen when Ms themselves seemingly aren't bothering to.
e: and I mean specifically sitting down and working on games on a per-title basis, rather than generic system drivers built into Windows which would auto-detect any installed GPUs and leverage them accordingly, which I suspect both AMD and nVidia would be happy to assist with

dr_rus

That's assuming that the said developers want to work with NV/AMD in the first place. Which is already a pretty big assumption right there especially if you look at the benchmarks of the game in question.

Title Update 2 for the Xbox One is now live. The notes are listed below.

Xbox One Title Update 2

Act Fixes/Updates
  • Act 1 Part 1: Fixed a rare instance of taxi being missing from the intro cinematic
  • Act 1 Part 2: Fixed assets disappearing if players backtrack
  • Act 1 Part 2: Fixed an issue where players could not kill the guard in the parking lot
  • Act 1 Part 3: Fixed backtracking issues where some parts could unload
  • Act 1: Fixed overlapping audio in opening cinematic
  • Act 2 Part 1: Fixed Nick pathing issues
  • Act 2 Part 1: You can no longer get underneath the puzzle at the security station
  • Act 2 Part 2: First Chronon source renders properly
  • Act 2 Part 3: Added collision on time machine corridor to prevent players accidentally falling to their death
  • Act 2 Part 3: Fixed backtracking issues where some parts could unload
  • Act 2 Part 3: Fixed rare NPC issues where Amy or Nick could be killed or block the door
  • Junction 3: Fixed Hatch being hidden if the user skips a future vision too quickly
  • Junction 4: Fixed flickering environment outside office building
  • Act 5: Fixed last subtitle going by too quickly to read
  • Act 5: Fixed missing line in Portuguese audio in a cinematic
General Fixes/Updates

• Fixed issue where ambient sounds disappeared when mashing buttons during a cinematic
  • Removed unnecessary loading screens showing up
  • Updated credits
  • World no longer visibly unloads after Jack lets Beth and NPC into the Swimming Pool front door
  • Amy no longer remains still and without pathing towards gate in train yard
  • Fixed Jack’s subtitles not showing in some cinematics
  • Unlock descriptions for Will Diary 1 and Will Diary 2 are no longer reversed
  • Fix for blinking lights, where flares would blink excessively bright after resuming from suspend mode
  • Fixes for making Xbox Live integration more fault-tolerant
  • Remedy logo fix*
  • Fix for a rare bug that accidentally wiped progress after completing the game
  • Fix for some TV screens sometimes showing a really grainy image
  • Fixed circular progress bar alpha in the junction stats screen
  • Fixed video playback not always ending if the video was synced to audio
  • Fixed two rare instances of stalls when loading
  • Fixed a rare crash with the video texture system
  • Fixed crash in download menu when switching profiles
  • Fixed "Waiting for install to complete" text not being localized when changing the language
  • Game/story/collectible progress hero stats no longer display incorrectly when player has less than a percent of progress
  • Fixed rare instances of cloud saves failing and causing loss of progress
http://community.remedygames.com/fo...he-game-updated-28-4-2016?p=262376#post262376

NeoRaider

It gets worse, though. On the subject of problems with the PC port of Quantum Break, the Quantum Break State of the Game post on the Remedy forums has been updated with a notice about crashes experienced with some GPUs. Unfortunately, this isn’t something Remedy can fix.

“Microsoft has identified a Windows 10 memory management issue which may cause Quantum Break to crash on some GPU,” the developer said.

“This crash is seen more frequently at higher game settings. Microsoft plans to fix this in a future Windows Update.”

Goodness knows how long that’ll take. Turn your graphics settings down in the meantime, I guess.

Quantum Break PC crashes waiting on Windows 10 update

WTF?? Lmao

Leyasu

Banned
The game was obviously conceived with the bone in mind. They were most likely forced to port it or someone else did to pc and the abortion is what we got.

Hurry up and drop the fucking xbone Microsoft....

Man, I can't imagine how frustrated remedy are with Microsoft for forcing them to use this UWP crap. It has to be maddening to see the product you worked hard on for many years be completely destroyed by things you can't influence.

And get shit on in the process instead of MS.

Was expecting Win 10 to be all sorted a year in. I really have to wonder if DX12 and win 10 is worth bothering with, not to mention this UWP unify code once pipe dream . I might just dual boot it for Forza Apex or roll back later.

What is the deal with Steering wheels in DX12, seems it's not included and we have to wait for MS/T10 to do some serious work lol? SLI/CF is now game dependent in DX12, how are AMD and Nvidia going along with this?

If the shit shower continues I hope Remedy can at one point do an actual PC port like Alan Wake and release on PC in 1-2 two years time.

Mivey

This is a good thing though. If DX12 continues to be a horrible shit show for the remainder of its live, while Vulkan continues to become a better and better alternative, this could be the first great push to transition PC Gaming to a Linux world. Up until now, everything on Windows "just worked", also with new technologies, after a few bumps, but the quality of DX12 UWP games continues to degrade over time, and are still much more defined by their limitations than by their advances.

NeoRaider

Man, I can't imagine how frustrated remedy are with Microsoft for forcing them to use this UWP crap. It has to be maddening to see the product you worked hard on for many years be completely destroyed by things you can't influence.

If the shit shower continues I hope Remedy can at one point do an actual PC port like Alan Wake and release on PC in 1-2 two years time.

Ikr? Remedy deserved better than this.

The game was obviously conceived with the bone in mind. They were most likely forced to port it or someone else did to pc and the abortion is what we got.

Hurry up and drop the fucking xbone Microsoft....

Don't hold your breath waiting for that. Xbox is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

What Microsoft needs to do is get UWP up to speed, or drop the initiative entirely.

Bsigg12

This is a good thing though. If DX12 continues to be a horrible shit show for the remainder of its live, while Vulkan continues to become a better and better alternative, this could be the first great push to transition PC Gaming to a Linux world. Up until now, everything on Windows "just worked", also with new technologies, after a few bumps, but the quality of DX12 UWP games continues to degrade over time, and are still much more defined by their limitations than by their advances.

What? No one is going to transition to Linux because Microsoft's UWP platform is having issues.

Good job Microsoft for killing SLI and Crossfire.

FFS.

It's not really Microsofts fault. Technically, AMD was the first to go down this road with Mantle. It's the side effect of a Low Level API. SLI and CrossFire require more significant work in Vulkan and DX12. A developer technically is still free to target DX11 and take advantage of SLI.

As far as NVidia and AMD providing example code to do in DX12/Vulkan, I'm pretty sure there already is documentation on that. Unfortunately, different games have differently organized workloads as well as different kinds of workloads. It's hard to SLI as a one size fits all approach. NVidia often creates SLI profiles for new titles as they are released (for DX11- titles anyway). Devs now have to do the normal work they already had to do with SLI plus the work NVidia and AMD would do. That's a pretty significant amount of work for developers.

LordRaptor

What Microsoft needs to do is get UWP up to speed, or drop the initiative entirely.

What they need to do is take away control over PC gaming from the Xbox division who self-evidently have no fucking clue what they're doing.
UWA works perfectly for what it was designed to do - make it easy for PC developers to quickly port apps that work on Windows Phone. It's not a substitute GFWL 2.0 DRM mechanism.

Top Bottom